somebody had a coltrane request....

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

ric

somebody had a coltrane request....

Post by ric »

giant steps

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4teycb

enjoy

sorry there cant be more but ive been very busy. hopefully somebody else will add on. ill get back to it. coltranes stuff is worth spending some time uploading. check back this weekend maybe...

marinville

Post by marinville »

1. My Favorite Things
2. Everytime We Say Goodbye
3. Summertime
4. But Not For Me

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/?1b1tdxt3mdl

marinville

Post by marinville »

Not Coltrane, but good jazz:

Dexter Gordon - Go! (1962)
1 Cheese Cake
2 Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry
3 Second Balcony Jump
4 Love for Sale
5 Where Are You?
6 Three O'Clock in the Morning
From the first moments when Dexter Gordon sails into the opening song full of brightness and confidence, it is obvious that Go! is going to be one of those albums where everything just seems to come together magically. A stellar quartet including the stylish pianist Sonny Clark, the agile drummer Billy Higgins, and the solid yet flexible bassist Butch Warren are absolutely crucial in making this album work, but it is still Gordon who shines. Whether he is dropping quotes into "Three O'Clock in the Morning" or running around with spritely bop phrases in "Cheese Cake," the album pops and crackles with energy and exuberance. Beautiful ballads like "I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry" metamorphosize that energy into emotion and passion, but you can still see it there nonetheless. Gordon had many high points in his five decade-long career, but this is certainly the peak of it all.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2jmy4iwxjyt
Last edited by marinville on Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marinville

Post by marinville »

Freddie Hubbard - Ready for Freddie (1961)
1. Arietis
2. Weaver Of Dreams
3. Marie Antoinette
4. Birdlike
5. Crisis
6. Arietis - (alternate take, bonus track)
7. Marie Antoinette - (alternate take, bonus track)
Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard really came into his own during this Blue Note session. He is matched with quite an all-star group (tenor saxophonist Wayne Shorter, pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Art Davis, and drummer Elvin Jones in addition to Bernard McKinney on euphonium), introduces two of his finest compositions ("Birdlike" and "Crisis"), and is quite lyrical on his ballad feature, "Weaver of Dreams." Hubbard's sidemen all play up to par and this memorable session is highly recommended; it's one of the trumpeter's most rewarding Blue Note albums.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0jylpwib2nc

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

thanks marinville... both of those are really dope. more links to lps (hard bop) like these would be appreciated.

marinville

Post by marinville »

Curtis Fuller - Blues-ette (1959)
1 Five Spot After Dark
2 Undecided
3 Blues-Ette
4 Minor Vamp
5 Love Your Spell Is Everywhere
6 Twelve-Inch
Sessions in any genre of music are all too often described as "sublime," but seldom has that description been better deserved than with this relaxed hard bop classic. One looks to other catchalls such as "effortless" and "loose," but even those slight this amazing date by implying a lack of intensity -- and intensity comes in all forms. For all intents and purposes, this is the first recorded meeting of what would become the famous Benny Golson/Art Farmer Jazztet (albeit without Farmer), a group most commonly associated with its 1960 Chess session, Meet the Jazztet. Curtis Fuller's next date, The Curtis Fuller Jazztet, and his appearance on the Chess date, only compound this point. Like perhaps Jimmy Smith's flagship, The Sermon, Blues-ette's brilliance manifests itself not only within the individual solos but also in the way the group functions as a collective. One gets the impression that these tunes could have continued for hours in the studio without the slightest lack of interest on anyone's part. This might be because many of the themes presented here are so basic and seemingly obvious that they don't seem like anything to write home about upon first listen. A day or so later, when you're walking down the street to the tempo of the title track, you may begin to think otherwise. These are some exceptionally catchy heads and many have since become standards. As far as individual performances are concerned, you're not likely to find better solos by any of the members of this quintet than you will here, though they all have extensive and very high-quality catalogs themselves. Picking highlights is a moot point. Blues-ette is best experienced as an entire LP. It would have surely made a greater impact upon its initial release had it been on a more high-profile label, such as Columbia or Blue Note, but there's no sense worrying about that now. Any serious jazz collection is incomplete without this record. Period.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2yet4jwhrwt

ric

Post by ric »

yeah my favorite things is my favorite coltrane joint. well done sir. that dexter album is fucking fire! his versions of love for sale and cheesecake are off the chain. thanks for the hubbard album too.
Last edited by ric on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

thread is a hit

marinville

Post by marinville »

Les Mccann - On Time (1962)

Unfortunately I couldnt find a review for this one (or the cover art.) However, I assure you its a bad mother fucker.

1 On Time
2 You Are My Heart's Delight
3 This for Doug
4 Fondue
5 Bernie's Tune
6 Maedchen
7 It Could Happen to You
8 You're Driving Me Crazy
9 So What

http://www.mediafire.com/?cwyxexru1zg
Last edited by marinville on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

marinville

Post by marinville »

I think I'm done for the day. gonna spend some time with my son before he goes to sleep. I will probably pick up tomorrow evening, unless I get busy.

got some more stuff from: duke pearson, art blakey, count basie, grant green, joao gilberto, cal tjader, jimmy smith, stanley turrentine, miles, yusef lateef, etc.

its not all hard bop., some is. some cool jazz, some soul jazz, some latin jazz, swing, etc.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

cool, thanks again... grabbed all of em.

marinville

Post by marinville »

For the road:

Duke Pearson - Wahoo! (1964)
1 Amanda
2 Bedouin
3 Farewell Machelle
4 Wahoo
5 ESP (Extrasensory Perception)
6 Fly Little Bird Fly
A truly wonderful advanced hard bop date, Wahoo captures pianist Duke Pearson at his most adventurous and creative. With the exception of Donald Byrd's closing "Fly Little Bird Fly," Pearson wrote all of the material on this six-song album, and his compositions are clever, melodic, and unpredictable without being cloying or inaccessible. He has assembled a first-rate sextet to perform the material, enlisting trumpeter Byrd, tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson, bassist Bob Cranshaw, alto saxophonist/flautist James Spaulding, and drummer Mickey Roker. Even the subdued "Wahoo" and "ESP" search out new territory with their subtle themes and exploratory solo sections. The key to the success of Wahoo is that Duke Pearson is a gifted arranger, creating nimble, challenging arrangements that are accessible, but reveal more details upon each listen. As a pianist, he has moved beyond his initial Bud Powell influence and reveals new aspects of his technique. Henderson, Byrd, and Spaulding are equally impressive, helping elevate Wahoo to one of the finest sophisticated hard bop dates Blue Note released in the mid-'60s.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4mfpex9zgw9

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

Thank you i requested some John Coltrane and got all this good stuff too.
:cheers:

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

kind of a different deal but still pretty bitchin nonetheless

1. Baroque And Blue
2. Sentimentale
3. Javanaise
4. Fugace
5. Irlandaise
6. Versatile (With Bass Flute)
7. Veloce

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xrygdn
Hemingway Novel Model

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

re-upped for marinville to up some more dope shit.

marinville

Post by marinville »

Herbie Mann - at the Village Gate (1961)
1. comin home baby
2. summertime
3. it aint necessarily so
4. memphis underground (bonus track)
5. chain of fools (bonus track)
6. battle hymn of the republic (bonus track)
Remarkably few of flutist Herbie Mann's recordings are available on CD, but fortunately this one did get reissued. Mann's hit version of "Comin' Home Baby" from this live set became his first big hit. Composer Ben Tucker plays second bass on that cut, and Mann's other sidemen include vibraphonist Hagood Hardy, bassist Ahmed Abdul-Malik, drummer Rudy Collins, and Chief Bey and Ray Mantilla on percussion. In addition to "Comin' Home Baby," Mann and his men perform memorable versions of "Summertime" and "It Ain't Necessarily So"; the latter is 20 minutes long. Recommended.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6cy0r2q4yk9
Last edited by marinville on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marinville

Post by marinville »

Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - Consummation (1970)
1. Dedication
2. It Only Happens Every Time
3. Tiptoe
4. A Child Is Born
5. Us
6. Ahunk Ahunk
7. Fingers
8. Consummation
Of the many albums recorded by the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, this was the greatest. Reissued on CD as part of a large Mosaic box set, this set introduced Jones' best-known composition, "A Child Is Born," and also has a colorful rendition of his sly "Tiptoe," and finds the big band ripping the roof off during the lengthy and very exciting "Fingers." The all-star cast (which includes flugelhornist Jones, drummer Lewis, trumpeter Marvin Stamm, trombonist Jimmy Knepper, tenor great Billy Harper, the reeds of Jerome Richardson, Jerry Dodgion and Eddie Daniels, keyboardist Roland Hanna, and bassist Richard Davis, among others) is well served by Thad Jones' inventive and swinging arrangements. A classic.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3tm4iexeyty

the brow

Post by the brow »

Dope thread, marinville. Never change.

Your mp3 crates are fucking DEEP son.
Shoot bro, I got a waterproof suit yo.

marinville

Post by marinville »

Grant Green - Matador (1964)
1. Matador
2. My Favorite Things
3. Green Jeans
4. Bedouin
5. Wives and Lovers
Grant Green recorded so much high-quality music for Blue Note during the first half of the '60s that a number of excellent sessions went unissued at the time. Even so, it's still hard to figure out why 1964's Matador was only released in Japan in 1979, prior to its U.S. CD reissue in 1990 -- it's a classic and easily one of Green's finest albums. In contrast to the soul-jazz and jazz-funk for which Green is chiefly remembered, Matador is a cool-toned, straight-ahead modal workout that features some of Green's most advanced improvisation, even more so than his sessions with Larry Young. Part of the reason for that is that Green is really pushed by his stellar backing unit: pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Bob Cranshaw, and drummer Elvin Jones. Not only is Green leading a group that features one-half of the classic Coltrane Quartet, but he even takes on Coltrane's groundbreaking arrangement of "My Favorite Things" -- and more than holds his own over ten-plus minutes. In fact, every track on the album is around that length; there are extended explorations of two Green originals ("Green Jeans" and the title track) and Duke Pearson's Middle Eastern-tinged "Bedouin," plus the bonus cut "Wives and Lovers," a swinging Bacharach pop tune not on the Japanese issue. The group interplay is consistently strong, but really the spotlight falls chiefly on Green, whose crystal-clear articulation flourishes in this setting. And, for all of Matador's advanced musicality, it ends up being surprisingly accessible. This sound may not be Green's claim to fame, but Matador remains one of his greatest achievements.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1tmxgrggbhc

marinville

Post by marinville »

Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk (1958)
1. Blues Walk
2. Move
3. Masquerade Is Over, The
4. Play Ray
5. Autumn Nocturne
6. Callin' All Cats
Lou Donaldson's undisputed masterpiece, Blues Walk, marks the point where the altoist began to decisively modify his heavy Charlie Parker influence and add a smoky, bluesy flavor of his own. The material is still firmly in the bebop vein, and the mellower moments aren't as sleepy as some of Donaldson's subsequent work, so the album sounds vital and distinctive even as it slows down and loosens things up. That makes it the definitive release in Donaldson's early, pre-soul-jazz period, but what elevates Blues Walk to classic status is its inviting warmth. Donaldson's sweetly singing horn is ingratiating and melodic throughout the six selections, making even his most advanced ideas sound utterly good-natured and accessible. The easy-swinging title cut is a classic, arguably Donaldson's signature tune even above his late-'60s soul-jazz hits, and his other two originals -- "Play Ray" and "Callin' All Cats" -- are in largely the same vein. Elsewhere, Donaldson displays opposite extremes of his sound; the up-tempo bebop classic "Move" provokes his fieriest playing on the record, and his romantic version of "Autumn Nocturne" is simply lovely, a precursor to Lush Life. The addition of Ray Barretto on conga is a subtle masterstroke, adding just a bit more rhythmic heft to the relaxed swing. There are numerous likable records in Donaldson's extensive catalog, but Blues Walk is the best of them all.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fjvemnzsygl

marinville

Post by marinville »

Art Blakey - Caravan (1962)
1. Caravan
2. Sweet 'N' Sour
3. In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning
4. This Is For Albert
5. Skylark
6. Thermo
7. Sweet 'N' Sour - (take 4, bonus track)
8. Thermo - (take 2, bonus track)
By the time that jazz icon/bandleader/percussionist Art Blakey and his Jazz Messengers began recording for Riverside in the fall of 1962, Blakey had already been the spiritual center of the group for nearly 15 years. The unprecedented caliber of performers who had already passed through the revolving-door personnel reads like a who's who of 20th century jazz. On Caravan -- his first of several notable sides for the venerable label -- he is joined by a quintet of concurrent and future all-stars. Likewise, it could be argued that each has never again been presented in such a fresh or inspired setting as on these recordings. In order to establish with any authority just how heavy (even for purveyors of hard bop) the players in this band are, they need only to be named: Curtis Fuller (trombone), Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Wayne Shorter (tenor sax), Cedar Walton (piano), and Reggie Workman (bass). With Blakey (drums) firmly at the helm, these Jazz Messengers deliver a scintillating synergy that doesn't sacrifice intensity for the sake of cadence. The trademark give-and-take that graces the laid-back and sophisticated pop and jazz standards "Skylark" and "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" likewise is responsible for the palpable energy brought to the sizeable contributions from Shorter and Hubbard -- which make up half of the album's material. The title and leadoff track liquefies Duke Ellington's original arrangement and ignites it, fueling this extended fiery interpretation. Hubbard's first solo harks back to his own recording of "Caravan," which can be heard on the Impulse release Artistry of Freddie Hubbard and was recorded earlier the same year. Coincidentally, that disc also features Curtis Fuller as well as a rare non-Sun Ra-related appearance from John Gilmore (tenor sax). Blow for blow, however, this reading has more than just an edge -- it possesses the entire blade. The melody snakes in and out of Blakey's strident flurry of syncopation. Another highlight is Shorter's interjectory solo, recalling his ability to succeed John Coltrane in Miles Davis' coterie. Among the original compositions, Shorter's upbeat "Sweet 'n' Sour" stands out as the most cohesive and ensemble-driven, although the singular group dynamic is well applied to the lively "This Is for Albert" as well. By contrast, Hubbard's "Thermo" is more angular -- taking full advantage of the musicians' aggressive chops. The 2001 20-bit remaster from Fantasy contains two bonus tracks: take four of "Sweet 'n' Sour" and take two of "Thermo." This release can be considered definitive Blakey, bop, and Jazz Messengers.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fpd3cjxx3my

marinville

Post by marinville »

and with that, I'm done for a little while. Until I do a bit more listening at least. I'm actually just now getting into jazz myself, for the most part.

I do have a fuck ton of miles albums, but I'm not gonna up those tonight. I will later, if people want them.

hope everyone enjoys these. the duke pearson is my favorite, personally. and of the ones I upped tonight, the herbie man is my fav. The bonus tracks on there are killer. (as well as the album itself.)

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

Philaflava wrote:thread is a hit
:copy:

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

thanks again, can't wait to check this second set. didn't have a chance last night.

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

Anybody got the Money Jungle album?
I have a decent jazz collection, Ill see what I can add tonight

ric

Post by ric »

im uploading money jungle right now ill have the link up in a bit

ric

Post by ric »

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

Thanks

marinville

Post by marinville »

Hank Mobley - Soul Station (1960)
1. Remember
2. This I Dig of You
3. Dig Dis
4. Split Feelin's
5. Soul Station
6. If I Should Lose You
Often overlooked, perhaps because he wasn't a great innovator in jazz but merely a stellar performer, tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley was at the peak of his powers on Soul Station. Recorded with a superstar quartet including Art Blakey on drums, Paul Chambers on bass, and Wynton Kelly on piano, it was the first album since Mobley's 1955 debut to feature him as a leader without any other accompanying horns. The clean, uncomplicated sound that resulted from that grouping helps make it the best among his albums and a peak moment during a particularly strong period in his career. Mobley has no problem running the show here, and he does it without being flashy or burying the strong work of his sidemen. The solidness of his technique means that he can handle material that is occasionally rhythmically intricate, while still maintaining the kind of easy roundness and warmth displayed by the best players of the swing era. Two carefully chosen standards, "Remember" and "If I Should Lose You," help to reinforce that impression by casting an eye back to the classic jazz era. They bookend four Mobley originals that, in contrast, reflect the best of small-group composition with their lightness and tight dynamics. Overall, this is a stellar set from one of the more underrated musicians of the bop era.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1m9zbqpxa9w

the brow

Post by the brow »

It's the thread that keeps on giving.

:phila:
Shoot bro, I got a waterproof suit yo.