Fuckin' A's every ESSENTIAL album you should own thread

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

This is as good a place as any to tell the story of the first time I saw Fantomas.

They played in NY at Knitting Factory way before the first record came out. It was their first show in NY.

Due to some lucky connections, I had had their demo for a while and was loving it. No one else who turned up to see them knew what to expect and there were a lot of folks who were expecting something that sounded vaguely like FNM and/or Slayer.

Needless to say they were surprised.

Patton seemed worried that folks would think they were making the shit up as they went along, so he stopped one song that they had been playing perfectly (sounded just like the demo) and said, "Wait, wait, we fucked up, start over." Then they went and made all the same "random" noise they did the first time exactly the same all over again.

People weren't necessarily happy or sad, but they were impressed.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:This is as good a place as any to tell the story of the first time I saw Fantomas.

They played in NY at Knitting Factory way before the first record came out. It was their first show in NY.

Due to some lucky connections, I had had their demo for a while and was loving it. No one else who turned up to see them knew what to expect and there were a lot of folks who were expecting something that sounded vaguely like FNM and/or Slayer.

Needless to say they were surprised.

Patton seemed worried that folks would think they were making the shit up as they went along, so he stopped one song that they had been playing perfectly (sounded just like the demo) and said, "Wait, wait, we fucked up, start over." Then they went and made all the same "random" noise they did the first time exactly the same all over again.

People weren't necessarily happy or sad, but they were impressed.
1 - i know exactly what show you're talking about and i am insanely jealous.

2 - i saw an interview once where patton was asked about the live fantomas experience (this was when they only had one record) and the interviewer was basically insinuating that they were making that shit up as they go when playing it live, and patton was all, "if you only knew how intricately orchestrated and choreographed this shit is".

3- those demos are kickass. i have a copy as well. (i collect anything and everything patton. my collection is embarrassingly large and ridiculous)

4 - the last time i saw fantomas was right after delirium cordia was released, and they did an entire set STRAIGHT thru.. no pauses, no banter between songs, it was like one big fantomas mixtape where every track flowed into the next and they were even mashing up stuff from director's cut and the "pages" into stuff from delirium. it was amazing.

you want to know something that'll either make me really hardcore or really sad.. ive seen something like 30+ patton shows between 1992 and 2008. my first concert was faith no more and helmet in '92. i was 13 years old and it blew my fucking mind.

ps -
what i mostly meant was, my knowledge of punk/metal/hardcore/noise bands is far greater than my hiphop knowledge in terms of being able to recite track listings and years that shit was released and background info from memory.
yeah. heh.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Fuckin' A...can you re-up the Thelonious Monk? The link is dead :owens:

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Fuckin' A...can you re-up the Thelonious Monk? The link is dead :owens:
I have no idea what happened to it. It doesn't even show up on my (sendspace) home page. I re-upped it for ya, though. It's back on the second page.

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

malpractice wrote:
Fuckin' A wrote:What kind of hip-hop are you into? I'm guessing Def Jux/Atmosphere/MF Doom...
oh man, ouch! :lol:
im not one of those scene girls.

no, i do like most of the def jux/RSE artists. i think sean is a good dude. im a fan.

scarface/geto boys ive been listenin to lately, :wutang: of course, del is probably my favorite emcee even though his newest stuff isnt that great, i still love his classic albums and deltron kicked ass.. love dilated peoples/evidence's solo joint.. oh and i really love noisy crossover stuff like dalek, but that shouldnt be a surprise. but :doom: kind of pisses me off.

what i mostly meant was, my knowledge of punk/metal/hardcore/noise bands is far greater than my hiphop knowledge in terms of being able to recite track listings and years that shit was released and background info from memory.

do i pass??
Ah, Now I get it. Makes sense. You'll always have a home here as far as I'm concerned :gyeah:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Fuckin' A wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Fuckin' A...can you re-up the Thelonious Monk? The link is dead :owens:
I have no idea what happened to it. It doesn't even show up on my (sendspace) home page. I re-upped it for ya, though. It's back on the second page.
Thanks. :bow:

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

This isn't essential, but I was uploading it for a friend and thought I'd add it here. Good stuff.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity (1999)

Genre: Mathcore/Metalcore
Bitrate: VBR

1 Sugar Coated Sour 2:24
2 43% Burnt 4:31
3 Jim Fear 2:22
4 *#.. 2:41
5 Destro's Secret 1:56
6 The Running Board 3:21
7 Clip the Apex... Accept Instruction 3:29
8 Calculating Infinity 2:02
9 4th Grade Dropout 3:35
10 Weekend Sex Change 3:11
11 Variations on a Cocktail Dress 7:55
- Variations on a Cocktail Dress 2:12
- [silence] 3:04
- [untitled outro] 2:39
Apparently, Dillinger has solved the complex equation asked of their album title and the answer is strange and complex. Oddly enough, Relapse is marketing this as "math metal," a term that almost fits. Having enjoyed Dillinger's bombastic, grindy punk debut mini-album, Calculating Infinity seems ten times more explosive and brilliant, as it spews forth anger and venomous misery in a way that is comparable only to spontaneous combustion. Continuing to expand upon the ultra-aggressive, deliciously technical approach they adopt toward grind and hardcore, the band has fully embraced its amazing knack for rhythmic melody on tracks like "*#" and "Weekend Sex Change." Fear not Dillinger fans, for there is enough uncontrolled hatred and violence on this release to satisfy five bands, let alone New Jersey's native sons. This album is both screechingly abrasive, as evident on "Clip the Apex... Accept Institution," and morbidly beautiful, with the Slint-ish acoustic passages of "The Running Board." "Destro's Secret" contains such an amazing progressive dance between guitar and bass that one could only compare it to the mighty Cynic. The drumming rates near the top of any extreme metal drumming, combining an offbeat jazz style with an aggressive Cryptopsy-like technical approach. The vocals are raw, disturbing, and creepy causing a strange chill to crawl up the spine. Who will appreciate Dillinger then? The eclectics and musicians who understand the complexity of the band and genius chaotically held within.

Code: Select all

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rslemk

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

No Lightning To The Nations by Diamond Head?

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

I was actually gonna upload that pretty soon

I was just gonna do a whole metal thing with reign in blood-seasons and kill em all-and justice, some sabbath and whatever other albums

this thread doesn't sit right with me until a mastodon or early man or high on fire album has been uploaded even though they have been uploaded a thousand times. (they are essential, fuck you)

it will have to wait until i get back to my computer in about a week though unless someone wants to do it first

i still haven't listened to judas priest because i am dumb, can someone upload ram it down or the album of your choice

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

slimebucato wrote:I was actually gonna upload that pretty soon

I was just gonna do a whole metal thing with reign in blood-seasons and kill em all-and justice, some sabbath and whatever other albums

this thread doesn't sit right with me until a mastodon or early man or high on fire album has been uploaded even though they have been uploaded a thousand times. (they are essential, fuck you)

it will have to wait until i get back to my computer in about a week though unless someone wants to do it first

i still haven't listened to judas priest because i am dumb, can someone upload ram it down or the album of your choice
I also am lacking access to most of my musical collection. But here is a METAL ALBUM THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE:

Celtic Frost Morbid Tales

VBR

01. Into the Crypt Of Rays
02. Visions Of Mortality
03. Dethroned Emperor
04. Morbid Tales
05. Procreation (Of The Wicked)
06. Return To The Eve
07. Danse Macabre
08. Nocturnal Fear

http://www.sendspace.com/file/utslef
Celtic Frost has better mosh parts than your favorite band. unless your favorite band is the Cro-Mags, of course

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

that's a great album

speaking of cro mags that is sorely lacking from this thread even though it has also been uploaded a bunch of times

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Neither Bad Religion or Sigur Ros will unzip properly for me. I get a bunch of error messages with BR and SR starts to unzip but doesn't actually transfer the songs. I've downloaded them both twice and tried and they don't work so I'm pretty sure its not just me. I haven't heard either in years and I was looking forward to it. Can you fix this?

-Tommy (high maintenace, sorry)

Btw, I've literally downloaded 70% of this thread. :cheers:

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

GANG OF FOUR IS THE SHIT.
I had most of the jazz that was put up. I'll try to contribute some myself. I just want to reiterate appreciation for this thread. I really missed out when I was younger. It was all Wu-tang and Brotha Lynch. If I knew what I was missing I probably could've pulled a lot more broads.
" oh yeah Im the black dude that loves Joy Division and Gang of Four"
That shit would've worked.

Also, Flamming Lips is enjoyable. The only shit I can't really fuck with is the heavy metal. But I like the "punk/hardcore". Am I a poser MT?

Masked Terror #1

Metal's not for everyone. Also, it can take a long time to grow on you. For a long time I only liked punk and hardcore. Then for a long time after that, the only metal I liked was Metallica and Slayer. Then one day some shit just connects and the whole world of darkness opens up for you.

If comparing things to jazz wasn't phenomenally queer, I'd say that metal was a lot like jazz in that you can't just dive into the best albums without doing the prerequisite course work. You have to build up your taste and tolerance over time, but there are big rewards to be had if you do.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Metal's not for everyone. Also, it can take a long time to grow on you. For a long time I only liked punk and hardcore. Then for a long time after that, the only metal I liked was Metallica and Slayer. Then one day some shit just connects and the whole world of darkness opens up for you.

If comparing things to jazz wasn't phenomenally queer, I'd say that metal was a lot like jazz in that you can't just dive into the best albums without doing the prerequisite course work. You have to build up your taste and tolerance over time, but there are big rewards to be had if you do.

funny that you have the last post in this thread because i was going to come in here and ask that you and IDAL partake in uploading some essential hardcore albums.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I'm way too lazy to upload more than a couple of songs (and probably no use because i'm also too lazy to turn wma's into mp3's anyway) and i can't find a blog zhare/rapidshare link to it, but check this, Intuition :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rpnkHSxRg5k

And if you're feelin' then buy this :

I would seriously recommend that album over any other hardcore album bar Roir Sessions by Bad Brains and, maybe, a couple of others. Often compared to Black Flag they're like the missing link between Damaged and My War but there's also a big influence from Boston hardcore and a touch of Sabbath style heaviness.

Straight outta Santa Cruz and legendary amongst 80's Cali skaters as their songs appeared in numerous Wheels On Fire/Santa Cruz skate videos and, most famously, there was the Santa Cruz poster with Rob Roskopp jumping over them :

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I Drive A Lexus wrote: Image
http://www.mediafire.com/?t4tmbirzl1w

1. Time To Think/Surf And Destroy
2. Fuckin' With My Head
3. E.I.B.
4. Our Explanation
5. The Future
6. Something Beyond
7. Break It Down
8. Time Waits (For No One)
9. I Don't Need II
10. It's Alive
11. Look Into Myself
12. Nightmare

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

thanks to the both of you...dl'ing, will listen soon.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Yak Bollockz da god fa sho to the rescue.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Radio Raheem wrote:The only shit I can't really fuck with is the heavy metal. But I like the "punk/hardcore". Am I a poser MT?
that's because so much heavy/death/black/etc. metal is embarrassing. especially if you're listening to it over the age of 15

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Cro-Mags Age of Quarrel (1986)

VBR

1 We Gotta Know
2 World Peace
3 Show You No Mercy
4 Malfunction
5 Street Justice
6 Survival Of The Streets
7 Seekers Of The Truth
8 It's The Limit
9 Hard Times
10 By Myself
11 Don't Tread On Me
12 Face The Facts
13 Do Unto Others
14 Life Of My Own
15 Signs Of The Times

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hlrgnj

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

bout time

Zeed Stun

Post by Zeed Stun »

Probably not essential, but rather than make a new thread i'll just post it here:

By the late 60s Johnny Otis had had a twenty year career. First he'd been a pioneering figure of R&B and then he'd become one of the first crossover acts of the rock'n'roll era. This month RightTrack is pleased to announce the release of a stunning new two-albums-on-one-CD package featuring the X-Rated funky R&B classic Snatch and the Poontangs by Snatch and the Poontangs plus the excellent Johnny Otis Show album - Cold Shot!!

The two albums - first released in 1969 following Johnny Otis's massive R&B hit Country Girl - feature the saxophone line-up of veterans Preston Love and Clifford Solomon mixed with newer additions to the party such as Delmar "Mighty Mouth" Evans and Johnny's 15 year old (in 1968) son Shuggie. The latter - who has become something of a cult hero with the funk crowd in recent years - had his blistering guitar work featured on these recordings for the first time.
Although the two records themselves are musically very uniform, mixing blues with funk, Snatch... is very different, indicated by its cartoon cover (clearly very much influenced by Robert Crumb), the X suffix on its catalogue number and the lyrical content. For many these can seem puerile, sexist and/or plain offensive. The language is possibly some of the worst that has ever been put to record - yet the imagery is often inventive and humorous.

However, what justifies this record's place in history is that it is the most accurate use of the African-American art of "the dozens" that has been put to record. "The dozens" are basically rhyming insults, and whilst some have been turned into hit records - most notably by Shirley Ellis on The Clapping Song, Rufus Thomas on Walking The Dog and by various people on Iko Iko - the real street versions are far too filthy to pass muster. On Snatch and The Poontangs, Otis' band commit classics street routines such as Signifyin' Monkey and The Great Stack-A-Lee to wax while creating a few of their own. The excuse for Two Girls In Love (With Each Other) I can only guess - but Je T'Aime was big that year, wasn't it?

After the release of these records, Johnny continued recording great music - you can hear much of his and his band's great 70s work on our BGP release Watts Funky (CDBGPD 144). Still living in LA and having recently celebrated his eightieth birthday, it's good to be able to release still more of his legendary output.
01. Signifyin' monkey
02. Cold shot
03. Signifyin' monkey
04. That's life
05. Great Stack a Lee
06. Pissed off cowboy
07. Hey shine
08. Big John Jeeter
09. Two time Slim
10. Two girls in love (with each other)
11. It's good to be free
12. Country girl
13. Dirty dozens
14. I believe I'll go back home
15. High heel sneakers
16. Sittin' here alone
17. CC rider
18. You better look out
19. Goin' back to LA
20. Bye bye baby (until we meet again)
part 1: http://sharebee.com/9f2ea1a4

part 2: http://sharebee.com/cc456a71

(stolen from chrisgoesrock blog)

Throw this on at a party and I guarantee it'll spark conversation.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

thanks, i'm gonna add some more stuff to this thread later

Masked Terror #1

ackbar wrote:that's because so much heavy/death/black/etc. metal is embarrassing. especially if you're listening to it over the age of 15
Is there a genre where the vast majority of albums/artists don't suck and/or fail to stand up to the test of time?

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i guess not. i just happen to think corny metal tends to be even worse than cornball punk, rap, pop, etc.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

This thread needs some

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

that Failure album is very good.

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

This is a must own album from two music LEGENDS. How it was found is pretty amazing and adds to it's charm/legacy:
Larry Appelbaum, the recording lab supervisor at the Library of Congress, came across this tape by accident while transferring the library's tape archive to digital. What a find. Forget the Five Spot recording that sounds like it was recorded inside of a tunnel from the far end. The sound here is wonderfully present and contemporary. More importantly, this band ג€” which also included drummer Shadow Wilson and bassist Ahmed Abdul-Malik ג€” had it right on November 29, 1957, at Carnegie Hall. The John Coltrane on this date is far more assured than he had been four months earlier on the Five Spot date and on the initial Prestige side Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane. He'd been with Monk for four months and had absorbed his complex, multivalent musical system completely. It's clear from the opening track, "Monk's Mood," where the pair play in duet, that Coltrane is confident and moving into his own. Monk feels that confidence with his nearly Baroque entrance on the tune. This is a hard-swinging band with two front-line players who know how to get the best from one another. Coltrane knows the music inside out and his solos reflect an early version of his sheets of sound methodology. Check the joyous "Crepuscule with Nellie" for the hard evidence. Coltrane's cue and Monk's arpeggios are wondrous, swinging, and full of fire and joy. Trane's fills on the melody that leads into his solo are simply revelatory, and the solo itself is brilliant. Or check Wilson's cymbal work on "Nutty" before the band kicks it in full force. Even on the knottiest of Monk's tunes, "Epistrophy," Trane shines and takes charge of his instrument while being utterly receptive to the continual shape-shifting Monk put into his compositions in a live setting. There are nine tunes here (an incomplete version of "Epistrophy" finishes the set) taken from early and late performances. These 51 minutes of music leave the Live at the Five Spot date in the dust. This is one of those "historic" recordings that becomes an instant classic and is one of the truly great finds in jazz lore. It documents a fine band with its members at the peak of their powers together. The package also contains voluminous liner notes by the likes of Ira Gitler, Amiri Baraka, Ashley Khan, Stanley Crouch, and others. This is a must-have.
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall

Recorded: 1957
Released: 2005
Genre: Jazz
Bitrate: VBR

1 Monk's Mood 7:52
2 Evidence 4:41
3 Crepuscule With Nellie 4:26
4 Nutty 5:03
5 Epistrophy 4:29
6 Bye-Ya 6:31
7 Sweet and Lovely 9:34
8 Blue Monk 6:31
9 Epistrophy [incomplete] 2:24

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2w1uvn

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

we just need to make a thank you fuckin a thread to give props in..

get out tha mans way....

i've dl'd almost everything in this thread.. and fucked around and paid for a "max account"