The Metal Thread

Non-hiphop forum dedicated to the wonderful world of music.

Moderator: Philaflava

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

I know most folks aren't paying any attention to the shit I post anymore and I'm ok with that.

That said, if you really want to know what the fiery inferno of hell sounds like, go see Lightning Swords of Death in a small, dark basement.

Saw these guys last night and they tore a hole in the universe. I was waiting for a portal to the netherworld to open up a la The Gate.

It seems impossible that such furious, unholy and terrifying sounds could come from a bunch of dudes with instruments.

Pretty sure something else is afoot here.
Last edited by Masked Terror #1 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

haha I watched The Gate last night.
will check Lightning Swords.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I'm super psyched about seeing Sunn0))) this fall after reading this part of their rider for the tour.

Sunn O))) for the October tour in Europe 2009, and UK in December 2009 will be adding a new layer of sounds to the presentation of the music during live performances. The shows will be presented in ג€œpseudoג€ quad format. Needed as an addition to the PA specifications on the above page will be two large format full range speakers for the rear of the performance space. These two speakers must equal power of the front left and right sides of the front of house system and have cables long enough for a wide stereo field. The speakers will be connected and controlled by the front of house board via an Auxiliary send. This will not so much be a mirror of the front channels but a ג€œpsychic echoג€ of various channels throughout the performance.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

DLG wrote:I'm super psyched about seeing Sunn0))) this fall after reading this part of their rider for the tour.

Sunn O))) for the October tour in Europe 2009, and UK in December 2009 will be adding a new layer of sounds to the presentation of the music during live performances. The shows will be presented in ג€œpseudoג€ quad format. Needed as an addition to the PA specifications on the above page will be two large format full range speakers for the rear of the performance space. These two speakers must equal power of the front left and right sides of the front of house system and have cables long enough for a wide stereo field. The speakers will be connected and controlled by the front of house board via an Auxiliary send. This will not so much be a mirror of the front channels but a ג€œpsychic echoג€ of various channels throughout the performance.
fuckin yes :bow:
im seeing them in Nashville

Post by 360 »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:I know most folks aren't paying any attention to the shit I post anymore and I'm ok with that.
I am paying attention. I am positive that we have the same taste when it comes to this thread so I pretty much dl every link you post and throw it strait into the ipod.

Post by 360 »

DLG wrote:I'm super psyched about seeing Sunn0))) this fall after reading this part of their rider for the tour.

WTF. That sounds ominous and awesome at the same time.

DLG

Post by DLG »

hey guys I'm doing an interview on www.metalassaultradio.com at 6 pm eastern time.

tune in if you don't have shit else to do.

Post by 360 »

If I'm home in time, I will def support the dark cause

[edit] Did you shave?!

DLG

Post by DLG »

no way man.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I heard this band is on some CoC/Down type shit, haven't listened yet.

here's the link though, cool band name.

My Uncle the Wolf -My Uncle the Wolf (2008)

http://rapidshare.com/files/257787988/M ... e_Wolf.rar

Masked Terror #1

360 wrote:I am paying attention. I am positive that we have the same taste when it comes to this thread so I pretty much dl every link you post and throw it strait into the ipod.
Nice.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I'm like thun to MT's jaz here, without the hate.

I can't get down with any of these new guys recreating 90s extreme metal, even though they are good, I guess I'm just old fart status, while MT can appreciate it because he doesn't dig anything else that's sounding "modern" for the most part.

I hardly liked 3 metal albums that came out this year, probably.

mastodon, kylesa and YOB is all I bumped hugely from this year.

Masked Terror #1

I'm just glad there's one area where I'm slightly less of an old fart than all the others.

Although, when you put it that way DLG, seeing myself as the metal equivalent of an adult Little Brother enthusiast is a bummer.

DLG

Post by DLG »

hahah

as I understand it though, you are more hardcore than metal though right?

you probably don't like hardcore bands today trying to emulate the stuff you grew up on. I don't even know if any exist though, because I was never into hardcore and pretty much started listening to that old stuff from my girlfriend and the threads you and the other hardcore guys had here about the good old days.

Masked Terror #1

I don't know if there's any real rhyme or reason to it.

I was all about punk, hardcore and thrash from the mid 80s to the early 90s.

When the new shit in all those genres really started to blow in my opinion, I pretty much tuned out and just listened to my old shit, occasionally dipping my toe into each respective pool to see if anything had improved.

In the early 2000s I really started digging the shit I was coming across in metal land, some because it resembled shit I had liked in the past and some because it was somewhat new to me, if only because I hadn't been keeping up so well in the 90s.

Plus, I really prefer to be into current bands that are actually releasing new shit, going on tour, playing small venues, etc.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Masked Terror #1 wrote: Plus, I really prefer to be into current bands that are actually releasing new shit, going on tour, playing small venues, etc.
I feel you on this. I pretty much loathe arena and theater shows and will go see bands I'm not even into just for the small club vibe. And I totally buy a shirt if I don't even like the music at every show just to support.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

you two fuckers. Im closing in on 30 years old and I still like the shit i grew up on (was stoked on metal by age 7 or 8) plus am constantly searching out new bands every day and finding them then going to fuck with them at their shows . Metal is the one genre of music that constantly got better and pushed the envelope of creativity (and the classics still hold up) and thats from the music to the artwork and lyrics right up to the venues and networking. Metal and hardcore lords over and punishes all others and i say that with the same enthusiasm and conviction as i did when my only mode of transportation was a skateboard.

Actually i dont know why i just typed all that shit but i wanted to be the one voice that stayed on the frontlines of metal hardcore the whole time. I will listen to anything but my hesher roots are outstanding and nothing ever felt like it belonged to me the way underground metal did.

lifer status. metal is law.
:lol:

heavy metal rules.
I remember standing behind the movies at the Pemberton Square mall chain smoking marlboros and every dude there was wearing Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth shirts, camo pants looking like the West Memphis 3 trying to bum change from the slutty hair metal chicks so we could get a black bum to buy us a six pack of beer and stand in someones driveway pumping Suicidal Tendencies out of car speakers while we fucking slammed on our air guitars, practiced our ollies, and pretty much acted a general shithead for no other reason than because we were fucked up kids with shitty attitudes.

I still am and always will be that kid. And I still pray that one day Satan will teach me powers.

currently blasting Magrudergrind motherfuckers.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

DLG wrote:
Masked Terror #1 wrote: Plus, I really prefer to be into current bands that are actually releasing new shit, going on tour, playing small venues, etc.
I feel you on this. I pretty much loathe arena and theater shows and will go see bands I'm not even into just for the small club vibe. And I totally buy a shirt if I don't even like the music at every show just to support.
the story of my weekend life currently. leaving for a 5 day mini tour thursday and will return with id imagine 10 new shirts.

Masked Terror #1

Always wondered what every song on Reign In Blood played at the same time would sound like?

Wonder no more.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yFcPERqTGLA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yFcPERqTGLA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Post by 360 »

Interesting. It actually doesn't sound bad. I honestly went into it with the 'satanic message conveyed from playing the record backwards" mind frame which I shouldn't have done.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

sounds like Extreme Noise Terror

DLG

Post by DLG »

are you guys down with Steel Panther?

this song rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5tl2_K-d-g

sorry, no embed rule.

Masked Terror #1

DLG

Post by DLG »

did you guys catch this monumental shit??

the zappa bros and john tesh jamming on some sabbath?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8k8yL1AXhsI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8k8yL1AXhsI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:I know most folks aren't paying any attention to the shit I post anymore and I'm ok with that.

That said, if you really want to know what the fiery inferno of hell sounds like, go see Lightning Swords of Death in a small, dark basement.

Saw these guys last night and they tore a hole in the universe. I was waiting for a portal to the netherworld to open up a la The Gate.

It seems impossible that such furious, unholy and terrifying sounds could come from a bunch of dudes with instruments.

Pretty sure something else is afoot here.
I still lurk this thread and would like to say :cheers:

Picked this up today, just was released, SUPER limited, thought some of ya'll might dig it. Also copped some of the sold out Florian Bertmer prints.

http://shirtsanddestroy.com/ArikRoper

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Dude, thanks for the Waste.

the brow

Post by the brow »

360 wrote:
I am paying attention. I am positive that we have the same taste when it comes to this thread so I pretty much dl every link you post and throw it strait into the ipod.
Co-sign, although our tastes don't coincide exactly. I've been away for a bit, but I'm definitely catching up on what I missed in this thread.

Destroyer 666 got a lot of burn during my move. Thanks for that one.
Shoot bro, I got a waterproof suit yo.

Masked Terror #1

Brow, I think you said you were moving to NY.

If you're here, Destroyer 666 is playing Sept 28th- http://www.publicassemblynyc.com/events/view/1080

Toxic Holocaust, Howl and Atakke are playing Sept 6th- http://www.europalive.net/calendar.html

the brow

Post by the brow »

Yeah, I'm in NYC now. I'll be in France on the 6th though. :roper:

I should be able to make the Destroyer show. Seems like a solid Monday night.
Shoot bro, I got a waterproof suit yo.

DLG

Post by DLG »

not feelin the Waste too much on the first couple spins.

maybe it's a grower.