"Nigga why the fuck did u leave it off of the album?&qu

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

"Nigga why the fuck did u leave it off of the album?&qu

Post by Galvatron78 »

sample clearances, label bullshit, crew fuckery, all of these contribute to the tragic event of leaving a hot as song off of an album...so anyway here we go...feel free to add. And I'ma tell ya right now Hiero owns this thread...

"heat" by Hieroglyphics...supposed to be on the 3rd Eye album ended up being a B-side

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

hmm..what about hasstyle's "i love when" why the fuck didnt premo put that shit out? ..i rekon this applys to very much premo productions :D like "ima kill this nigga" from rascoe

Diggedy

Post by Diggedy »

Well, continuing with the Hiero aspect, "Cabfare" off of the second Souls album..

I read that Bob James didn't clear the sample, because he didn't like the song.. He thought it was too "mickey mouse"..

He just didn't get it or the crew I'm guessing...

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Diggedy wrote:Well, continuing with the Hiero aspect, "Cabfare" off of the second Souls album..

I read that Bob James didn't clear the sample, because he didn't like the song.. He thought it was too "mickey mouse"..

im pretty sure bob james approved the sample... it was whoever else owned the song that stopped it from happening... my guess is whoever licensed the song for the Taxi tv show

Diggedy

Post by Diggedy »

Cryptic One wrote:
Diggedy wrote:Well, continuing with the Hiero aspect, "Cabfare" off of the second Souls album..

im pretty sure bob james approved the sample... it was whoever else owned the song that stopped it from happening... my guess is whoever licensed the song for the Taxi tv show
I'm 99% positive I read he didn't clear it personally.. I want to say in Ego Trip, but my memory is shot to hell... You could tell me Tony Danza had the 5th verse and I'd believe you..

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

"Hypnotic" by Eric B. & Rakim. Supposedly recorded for either "let the rhythm hit 'em" or "don't sweat the technique".

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Diggedy wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

I'm 99% positive I read he didn't clear it personally.. I want to say in Ego Trip, but my memory is shot to hell... You could tell me Tony Danza had the 5th verse and I'd believe you..
coming from the Hiero board waaaay back in 97' they said that he didn't clear the sample and they did it as a B-side. they made 2 versions of it also.

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

Galvatron78 wrote:
Diggedy wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

coming from the Hiero board waaaay back in 97' they said that he didn't clear the sample and they did it as a B-side. they made 2 versions of it also.
from an interview with Tajai
YIC: Yeah I remember hearing about the Bob James incident.

Tajai: Basically it's like that! We made a song for the Cab Fare thingג€¦We made it when I was 15. It was before I started driving. I was 15, so that's 1990. Awright, our company was pushing for that song to be on our record until 1995, so that's how long sometimes a sample will take to clear. And then on top of that the sample didn't even clear because Bob James only owns a portion of it. Paramount, who owns "Taxi" the TV show, they own the rest. So, it's all those types of issuesג€¦ most of the time the artist is not the sole owner of the music. Most of the time when you get sued for samples, it's not the artist like "Man! They sampled my stuff!" It's some dude who doesn't know the artistג€¦the artist may be dead or out of the country or whatever, but it's some dude like, "Oh that's my company's property, lemme go get my money."

Diggedy

Post by Diggedy »

Cryptic One wrote:
Galvatron78 wrote:
Diggedy wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:

from an interview with Tajai
YIC: Yeah I remember hearing about the Bob James incident.

Tajai: Basically it's like that! We made a song for the Cab Fare thingג€¦We made it when I was 15. It was before I started driving. I was 15, so that's 1990. Awright, our company was pushing for that song to be on our record until 1995, so that's how long sometimes a sample will take to clear. And then on top of that the sample didn't even clear because Bob James only owns a portion of it. Paramount, who owns "Taxi" the TV show, they own the rest. So, it's all those types of issuesג€¦ most of the time the artist is not the sole owner of the music. Most of the time when you get sued for samples, it's not the artist like "Man! They sampled my stuff!" It's some dude who doesn't know the artistג€¦the artist may be dead or out of the country or whatever, but it's some dude like, "Oh that's my company's property, lemme go get my money."
I saw that on google too.. I'm telling you man.. You find that Bob James interview, and you have found the real answer!

:grin:

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Why did they leave "Atom" off Breaking Atoms?

I know it was Main Source's first single, and I guess it was somewhat normal to leave off the lead singles from the longplayer, but come on! It's basically the impetus for the album's title. Furthermore, it is a fucking excellent song, better than some of the other tired joints that got dumped on the album.

Diggedy

Post by Diggedy »

^^^

Continuing on that.. "Ism & Blues" being left off of ... Ism & Blues ...

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

i stands corrected :lol: ...now find me the demo version of "Make Your Mind Up" got-damnit.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

continuing this is "Town Shit" by the Whoridas...this is what made me want their album even more when they dropped "Shot callin'" this was a b-side of course, the reverse "You're a Customer" loop and a dark ass beat pls with Saafir's wobbly ass delivery....there's 2 versions of this also, this version is the rough version.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

here's "goodfeeling" by Souls Of Mischief ...supposed to be on 93' til but didn't make the cut and ended up on "Never No More's" B-side. Phesto murders every verse as usual.....

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

I remember reading in either The Source or BLAZE magazine that James didn't like the finished Souls song and wouldn't clear it. He said in the same article that he enjoys most of the material that samples his shit, he made a list, can't recall the rest of the list, but at the end was "Cabfare" and he said something like he didn't like how they made his original composition feel too differently and he just couldn't clear the sample.

marinville

Post by marinville »

all of you suck but galvy.

motherfuckers mention shit, and then I wanna hear it... but nobody ups the shit they mention.

boo.

okkid

Post by okkid »

mm..what about hasstyle's "i love when" why the fuck didnt premo put that shit out?
anyone have a mp3 of this?

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

haha ok here you go

the roscoe p. is taken from a mixtape so it has annoying shouts at the beginnin..

Code: Select all

http://rapidshare.com/files/14115506/17-roscoe_p._coldchain-ima_kill_this_nigga__mixtape_-cms.mp3

Code: Select all

http://rapidshare.com/files/14099678/_I_Love_When__-_Hasstyle.mp3

okkid

Post by okkid »

thanks i got the roscoe i can up it ...i posted it on the main forum earllier this year along wit A Story to Tell

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

you have a 12" of that song ?? would be dope if you could up it

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

bringinoutbangerz wrote:I remember reading in either The Source or BLAZE magazine that James didn't like the finished Souls song and wouldn't clear it. He said in the same article that he enjoys most of the material that samples his shit, he made a list, can't recall the rest of the list, but at the end was "Cabfare" and he said something like he didn't like how they made his original composition feel too differently and he just couldn't clear the sample.
it was either in 1st or 3rd issue of Blaze mag.

i distinctly remember bob's saying, "they sped it up and gave it a sort of mickey mouse-ness which i felt bastardized my piece. i just couldn't clear it." when asked why he wouldn't clear it for SOM. that should clear that up unless bob is lying or something.

and if i remember correctly he also critiqued jeru and ghostface's use of "nautilus" as well and said he liked them both.

i liked blaze mag even with though it looked like it was self-edited with whiteout.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

what we're not uploading here
I Drive A Lexus wrote:"Hypnotic" by Eric B. & Rakim. Supposedly recorded for either "let the rhythm hit 'em" or "don't sweat the technique".
:upload:

outkast- roaches & rats

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u5pvau
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Ras Kass Remain Anonymous, Wont Catch Me Running, Jack Frost, The CAPITAL RA etc...
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Linc

Post by Linc »

Magneto wrote:Ras Kass Remain Anonymous, Wont Catch Me Running, Jack Frost, The CAPITAL RA etc...
yessir..played the fuck outa these tracks way back
"..just pay homage, fall in line, say your rhyme and go about your business." - mega

whothefuckareyou

Post by whothefuckareyou »

Diggedy wrote:^^^

Continuing on that.. "Ism & Blues" being left off of ... Ism & Blues ...
can anyone up this, i have a version that is really quiet(if this is the only version then just let me kno) any help would be much appreciated

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

Magneto wrote:Ras Kass Remain Anonymous, Wont Catch Me Running, Jack Frost, The CAPITAL RA etc...
yep.

the soul on ice demo merks the actual album.

i just wish i had a good quality version of it.