Anyone know the backstory on the "On The Real" tra

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

CharlieManson

Anyone know the backstory on the "On The Real" tra

Post by CharlieManson »

We had this on a white label bootleg 12" back in the 90's... was dope, 4-track sounding mix... NAS opened it up, was on point...

Here's an old rip of that version (the best version IMO)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/164896637aa2a996/

Since the internet era, I've heard a couple different versions... the garbage version on the Nas- Library of a Legend 6CD album, where the 'on the real' vocal sample is looped terrible, and NAS' re-recorded verses sound phoned in...

Most recently heard a version that has Mobb Deep doing the first verse instead of Nas... mix is terrible, and sounds like they added some hi-hats...

Just wondering if anyone knows what the story is... I remember something about it being a Marley Marl beat... but wondering why so many versions? And why never released etc?

Underground_gems

Post by Underground_gems »

i remember back in the day this was dropped on one of the 4 Bad Boy mixtape volumes...it featured ODB and im not sure if hes on the original version that your thinking of. but i actually prefer the remix version on this tape

step one

Post by step one »

Classic track. One of the best (and hardest) beats Nas has rhymed on. The original was on the Bad Boy Volume 3 mixtape and had Cormega & Kamikaze on it.

Robbie @ Unkut breaks down the story behind the 3 versions here:

http://www.unkut.com/2008/01/whats-really-real/

CharlieManson

Post by CharlieManson »

step one wrote:Classic track. One of the best (and hardest) beats Nas has rhymed on. The original was on the Bad Boy Volume 3 mixtape and had Cormega & Kamikaze on it.

Robbie @ Unkut breaks down the story behind the 3 versions here:

http://www.unkut.com/2008/01/whats-really-real/
Ahh good lookin out... that's exactly what I was looking for

Thanks

step one

Post by step one »

I've got a bootleg 12" for sale if you're wanting. Its the 'Underground Buttas' one with the Jac Swinga joint on the flip.

sajr

Post by sajr »

I have a version that has Paula Perry on it too.

Tired & Broke

Re: Anyone know the backstory on the "On The Real"

Post by Tired & Broke »

CharlieManson wrote:We had this on a white label bootleg 12" back in the 90's... was dope, 4-track sounding mix... NAS opened it up, was on point...

Here's an old rip of that version (the best version IMO)
http://www.zshare.net/audio/164896637aa2a996/

Since the internet era, I've heard a couple different versions... the garbage version on the Nas- Library of a Legend 6CD album, where the 'on the real' vocal sample is looped terrible, and NAS' re-recorded verses sound phoned in...

Most recently heard a version that has Mobb Deep doing the first verse instead of Nas... mix is terrible, and sounds like they added some hi-hats...

Just wondering if anyone knows what the story is... I remember something about it being a Marley Marl beat... but wondering why so many versions? And why never released etc?
go to Robbie's website unkut.com he has some detailed info from Screwball about how Marley bless them with the track and I think Nas got on it later, and then when they were gone release Nas didnt want his verse to be on there with theirs so they threw Mega & Havoc on ther instead and release it and it was a banger. And then years later Nas release his version with new verses and it pissed the Screwball click off like hell..... check that website cause I could be off on some details

DredScott

Post by DredScott »

sajr wrote:I have a version that has Paula Perry on it too.
nah, that ain't paula perry. that's shorty wreck, a qb femcee that was down with marley marl for a minute back in the mid 90's. he laced a demo with his beats for her but that version of "on the real" is pretty much the only thing she ever appeared on.

sajr

Post by sajr »

DredScott wrote:
sajr wrote:I have a version that has Paula Perry on it too.
nah, that ain't paula perry. that's shorty wreck, a qb femcee that was down with marley marl for a minute back in the mid 90's. he laced a demo with his beats for her but that version of "on the real" is pretty much the only thing she ever appeared on.
Thanks for clearing that up