KRS-One Albums between 1997-2006

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

cliffw1125

KRS-One Albums between 1997-2006

Post by cliffw1125 »

Krs-One probably ranks at number 10 or 11 on my top 20 list of MCs just off the strength of the material I've heard. He probably would have ranked higher if I checked out more of his solo material. I have all the BDP albums, his first three solo albums (Return of the Boom Bap, KRS-One, I Got Next), and the most recent two (Life and Hip Hop Lives). After I Got Next, I really haven't been checking for a lot of his material, though I've heard his collabos and singles like South Bronx 2002, the Nelly diss, and "5 Boroughs" (though it still bugs me how Redman/Keith Murray who aren't from the 5 boroughs got on the song and how Cam'ron who had a wack verse was on the song when Big L was still alive and could have easily been a better replacement). I just wanted to know if there's albums between the I Got Next and Life album that's really worth owning. Everybody I know or just about every review I've read had nothing positive to say regarding Spiritual Minded.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you're white.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

:rofl: + :omgracist:
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cliffw1125

Post by cliffw1125 »

No I'm not, but what made you think that? I just haven't checked for his work from I Got Next-05.
Last edited by cliffw1125 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Paragraph President wrote:I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you're white.
I don't know man, I know a guy who works at the local pathmark that could've written this.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

KRS-ONE should never be below 3 on ANYONE's top emcee list. He earns that much respect from his BDP days alone to make him a top 3 emcee. Boom Bap, KRS-ONE was just icing on the cake if you ask me.

cliffw1125

Post by cliffw1125 »

Philaflava wrote:KRS-ONE should never be below 3 on ANYONE's top emcee list. He earns that much respect from his BDP days alone to make him a top 3 emcee. Boom Bap, KRS-ONE was just icing on the cake if you ask me.
I just preferred Rakim, G Rap, Kane, and Ace more.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

cliffw1125 wrote:
Philaflava wrote:KRS-ONE should never be below 3 on ANYONE's top emcee list. He earns that much respect from his BDP days alone to make him a top 3 emcee. Boom Bap, KRS-ONE was just icing on the cake if you ask me.
I can understand Rakim, G. Rap and Kane. Ace, who I am fond off is not better than KRS-ONE by any stretch. Ace made his best music late in his career so he's more relevant today. But KRS made some of the best music in all of hip-hop.

You should really try and listen to his early work, not saying his releases in the mid-late 90's weren't good but you have no idea how great KRS as an emcee really is.

Masta Ace who is good, was never great. He's incredibly simple and a lot of his rhymes are straight nursery jacks. But he has a better ear for beats and his recent efforts trump anything Kris has done this decade.

cliffw1125

Post by cliffw1125 »

Philaflava wrote:
cliffw1125 wrote:
I can understand Rakim, G. Rap and Kane. Ace, who I am fond off is not better than KRS-ONE by any stretch. Ace made his best music late in his career so he's more relevant today. But KRS made some of the best music in all of hip-hop.

You should really try and listen to his early work, not saying his releases in the mid-late 90's weren't good but you have no idea how great KRS as an emcee really is.

Masta Ace who is good, was never great. He's incredibly simple and a lot of his rhymes are straight nursery jacks. But he has a better ear for beats and his recent efforts trump anything Kris has done this decade.
I have to agree with Ace making his best stuff later on, though. I did like Take A Look Around but that Edutainment did crush that and even though Sex & Violence doesn't get the recognized as one of KRS-One's best, I feel that more than Ace's 1st LP. I wish KRS was still getting Showbiz or Primo beats on his albums.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Let's forget about recorded material just for a second - even though your developmentally-challenged second-cousin who wears a helmet when he rides in Mommy's shopping cart realizes that KRS's body of work suplexes Masta Ace's body of work and then takes a piss on it.

Instead let's look at a helpful analogy from the world of sports:

KRS-ONE:Masta Ace :: Ted Williams:Carl Yastrzemski

Both are good at what they do, but when we are looking at raw talent, flowing and showing different styles, memorable lyrics and performances, making great songs - in short, the art of ripping a track to pieces and moving the crowd - KRS belongs among the elite rappers of all-time (arguably the best) while Yaz, excuse me, Ace is a dope rapper who made good albums and had a good career, but should NEVER EVER be compared to the cream of the crop .

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I don't even know that much about rap but I know KRS is AT LEAST top 5. Yes, I'm white.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

i really liked the sneak attack. havent listened to it in a long while but i know there are great tracks on it. it has some filler aswell though.
didnt like the albums that came afterwards, but his recent with marl wasnt bad either

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

he fell off after i got next but there are still some good tracks here & there post 1997
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Make it top 5.. that way I still feel Hip-Hop with a list like this: ( :lol: )

1. Rakim
2. Melle Mel
3. BDK
4. KRS-1
5. Moe Dee

LONDON

Post by LONDON »

KRS 1 is my top mc of all time, truss me on that, you need to check out his kristyles lp from 2003 an the sneak attack lp from 2001, those are definetly slept on albums, truss
________
Avandia settlement
Last edited by LONDON on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Bruce-

Post by -Bruce- »

KRS is top 3 for me. He's had some nice shit in recent years but his last "true" great album was "I Got Next".

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I copped The Sneak Attack used, and the whole thing turned out to be edited.

So I copped a different used copy and that one was edited too.

Were any explicit versions of this released or is this like the first couple Das EFX albums, where all copies were edited? This is driving me nuts.

plug4

Post by plug4 »

Combo7 wrote:I copped The Sneak Attack used, and the whole thing turned out to be edited.

So I copped a different used copy and that one was edited too.

Were any explicit versions of this released or is this like the first couple Das EFX albums, where all copies were edited? This is driving me nuts.
I heard they were all like that.