Good Stretch Armstrong interview

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

step one

Good Stretch Armstrong interview

Post by step one »

by DJ Eli @ the Turntable Lab site

http://blog.turntablelab.com/2009/05/el ... rview.html
Someone offered me $500 for the acetate of the Beatnuts' remix of Mobb Deep "Shook Ones Part 1".
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

interesting that his Top 10 of all time is all house & disco!
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

wtf mobb deep - shook ones pt1 beatnuts remix? AUDIO PLEASE

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

serch4beatz wrote:wtf mobb deep - shook ones pt1 beatnuts remix? AUDIO PLEASE
Damn, seriously!!! Never knew of that shit...

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Stretch talking about SERATO...

Sadly, most djs who use it, and that's most djs, don't know the first thing about sound fidelity, and they will play files that sound like ass. I won't keep anything in my computer that is less than 192kbps. It's not fun hearing a 128kbps mp3 blasting through a sound system. So I'd say that it's a great convenience for real djs but at the same time has cheapened djing.

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

That joint is ill

WiCkEd22

Re: Good Stretch Armstrong interview

Post by WiCkEd22 »

step son wrote:interesting that his Top 10 of all time is all house & disco!
You're misquoting the original question asked...

Eli asked... "Ok last one, and this doesn't have to be definitive, what are your top 10 club records (any genre) of all time?"
Last edited by WiCkEd22 on Sat May 30, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godmc

Post by godmc »

step one will be deeply distraught over this. he'll likely be sure to offer you his sincerest apologies right away.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Ahhh, that might be the one I was commenting on at the TROY blog. :killacam:
http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... -deep.html

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

serch4beatz wrote:shook ones pt1 beatnuts remix? AUDIO PLEASE

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, that house and electro or whatever type shit don't surprise me.
Stretch wasn't the reason why the show was so great. Bobbito was.
Heads used to be happy as hell when they would tune in and Stretch wasn't there.
Not saying that he didn't do some good things, though.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

what? i thought bobbito couldnt really mix like stretch with all the doubling up/backspinning etc.. but anyways..somebody got a stretch & bobbito show where this mobb deep remix is being played?

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Verge wrote:Stretch wasn't the reason why the show was so great. Bobbito was.
I would definitely agree with this. Stretch was real nice on the decks, but Bobbito simply had better musical taste. I have a bunch of old 89tec9 shows where Stretch played some absolute bullshit...and not just one bullshit record, either. A whole string of terrible joints.

Oslo, one simple needs to compare the Fondle 'Em roster to the Dolo roster to see who had better taste in artists.

However, this isn't to say that Stretch wasn't great in his own right. He and Bob ran the best hip-hop radio show in history for 10 years and are obviously stronger as the sum of their parts (...:pause: ?).

On a side note, I feel that it is pertinent to mention that most heads will agree that the Stretch & Bob show IS the greatest of all time...but they played shit straight from DATs and demo cassettes on the regular...

..and no one gave a fuck.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Echo Leader wrote:On a side note, I feel that it is pertinent to mention that most heads will agree that the Stretch & Bob show IS the greatest of all time...but they played shit straight from DATs and demo cassettes on the regular...

..and no one gave a fuck.

Stretch & Bobbito's show and The King Tech Wake Up Show are the two best Hiphop Radio Mixshows EVER!!

And yeah Echo Leader, BOTH shows played vinyl while in the mix, but also played CD's, DATS, Tapes, etc. and of course that was fine and no one cared. You people get the things I say all twisted. I say you only spin vinyl, REAL VINYL, when MIXING and/or making a Mixtape/Mix CD. Obviously you cant spin a Tape or a DAT. When you make a Mixtape/Mix CD and/or are mixing live on the radio, the point is to keep the mix going and you can only do that by spinning vinyl. On a radio show, it's different from when you make a Mixtape or Mix CD.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

oh man get over it already and stop answering all the "could been a hit on me" sentences written down here

Verge

Post by Verge »

serchforbeatz- Echo leader pretty much said what I would have to answer your question. Yeah, Stretch was nice on the mixing and had some great remixes. But Bobbito was the one that played all the demos that are still sought after today.
Matter of fact, Stretch left the show to try to do Hot 97(which mostly sucked balls,MOSTLY) full time. I'm pretty sure that was the end of the show and then Bobbito kept it going as CM Famalam with Lord Sear.
When Mobb Deep came out, Stretch would play like 30 Mobb Deep and wannabe Mobb Deep records a night. He really fagged it up trying to be down with them or something.

But anyway, it was my favorite radio show of all time.
But I still loved Red Alert before that. And In Control gotta get mention.
There was so many other shows that played so much dope shit, but not on such a scale as Stretch & Bob and Kool DJ Red Alert. That's just my opinion though.

Jaz
Ease Up

Re: Good Stretch Armstrong interview

Post by Jaz »

step one wrote:by DJ Eli @ the Turntable Lab site

http://blog.turntablelab.com/2009/05/el ... rview.html
Someone offered me $500 for the acetate of the Beatnuts' remix of Mobb Deep "Shook Ones Part 1".
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

interesting that his Top 10 of all time is all house & disco!
:ohsh: I have never even heard of this Beatnuts remix been spoken of before, that is wrong, I want it.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

@verge
i dont really know about "faggin it up" lol..
i like "thug" rap or how do you wanna call it so i think it wasnt really bad of stretch to play all those hardcore joints (wich were mostly indies)

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

serch4beatz wrote: i like "thug" rap or how do you wanna call it so i think it wasnt really bad of stretch to play all those hardcore joints (wich were mostly indies)
I would agree with this also. When Stretch moved to Hot97 he helped break a lot of hardcore underground artists, or at least shine a little bit of light on them. He did a lot to help establish those kinds of artists by playing their joints, including the Mobb Deep extended fam, some 25-to-Life shit and early 50 Cent.

Ultimately, Strech and Bob always had some differences in taste and that manifested a lot more after the move to Hot97.

By the way, if you can get your hands on some of Stretch's early Murda Mixtapes that he did with Whoo Kid (... :larry: ), they're pretty dope. The third one has the gayest punch-ins though...."Stretch Armstrong is now in ya wooorrrrlllllldddd......"

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

Echo Leader wrote: By the way, if you can get your hands on some of Stretch's early Murda Mixtapes that he did with Whoo Kid (... :larry: ), they're pretty dope. The third one has the gayest punch-ins though...."Stretch Armstrong is now in ya wooorrrrlllllldddd......"
hmmm never heard of this.. they came out in the 90ties ?

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

serch4beatz wrote:
Echo Leader wrote: By the way, if you can get your hands on some of Stretch's early Murda Mixtapes that he did with Whoo Kid (... :larry: ), they're pretty dope. The third one has the gayest punch-ins though...."Stretch Armstrong is now in ya wooorrrrlllllldddd......"
hmmm never heard of this.. they came out in the 90ties ?
Late '90's / early 00's. I don't know exact dates, but the third one (the only one I have left at this point) has some of 50's early "Power of the Dollar" material on it, so I would guess it came out in 1999 or 2000. It has some great freestyle and exclusive-type stuff on it too.

Andyman187

Post by Andyman187 »

Here's Vol 4 & 5 of Whoo Kid & Stretch Armstrongs - Murda Mixtapes!

http://classicmixtapes.blogspot.com/200 ... osted.html

http://classicmixtapes.blogspot.com/200 ... osted.html

Peace

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Does DJ Eli work at Turntable lab? Like in the store I mean.

step one

Post by step one »

Philaflava wrote:Does DJ Eli work at Turntable lab? Like in the store I mean.
nah. I think maybe he used to. there seems to be a bunch of NYC DJs affiliated to that place.

EDIT - Just read the Eli interview on the same site (the interviewee becomes the interviewer for the next subject - be interested to see who Stretch chooses to interview). Anyway, he used to work at Bobbito's store.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Verge

Post by Verge »

Philaflava wrote:Does DJ Eli work at Turntable lab? Like in the store I mean.
He worked at Fat Beats for a while in like 2002 so it wouldn't surprise me.
I'll always feel the need to thank him for putting me onto The Sound Library and A1 Records.

Verge

Post by Verge »

That Beatnuts Shook Ones remix and the Rampage demo that Stretch mentioned, have been blogged and are available for download here-

http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2009/06/ ... s-pt1.html