Pete Rock and CL Smooth reunite

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

CDubb

Pete Rock and CL Smooth reunite

Post by CDubb »

I may be :lastweek: on this but I saw on the blogs that they are doing shows together in Europe. Pretty crazy since I thought they still weren't even talking. Here's footage from London a couple of days ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UF3EiXR ... r_embedded#

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Love it. I love them man, they are def one of my favorite groups of all time. I know people tend to think the CL is not that dope on the mic, but to me is mad unique and just fit the beats so nicely. I'm happy they were able to do this, even if it was just for a few shows. If they come to NYC, I am in there.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Thanks CDubb. I haven't checked my google reader in a day or two and I miss this!
Dope. I don't care if this is already on the major blogs, it's going on T.R.O.Y. tonight.
Thanks again.
:cheers:
And again, I agree with you pradadon. I never saw the big problem with CL.
I always thought his style was perfect for Pete's beats.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

General reports of their recent UK tour have been bad - folks were saying they were performing over the vocal versions of their records.

Anyways, I'm just glad I saw them on their last tour, in 2004, when they sold-out the Jazz Cafe 3 (midweek) nights in a row - incredible show:

http://runtheline.blogspot.com/2007/07/ ... mooth.html

There's actually an MP3 of that show doing the rounds - the performance was broadcast on BBC 1 Extra. I have it somewhere on my computer at home - I'll upload it when I find it.

Verge

Post by Verge »

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Word, this gave me chills. This is what New York needs man. More love and less ego. The reason why the 80's and early 90's were so good was because New York was full of love and even the hardest dudes were FRIENDS with other MC's and the collabs were all so real. Sure there were beefs, but they were out of respect and love as much as they were out of competition or fighting about where hip hop started. I'm still going through that kids Yo! youtube page, and today I watched 92 Spring Break where Tribe, LONS, Salt N Peppa, Cypress Hill, Nice N Smooth and whoever else were all together rocking it out. You would never see that today. Would hardly ever even get a song like DWYCK where the artists were in the same studio let along doing it for anything more than a check. Dudes just e-mail verses and hooks and don't even care. That is why HHID.

That is another topic, but to see these 2 on stage again, even after reconciling and then breaking up so to speak again, is just ill and what I needed to see today. When the intro beat for TROY came on there I really did get chills man. Even before the horns.

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

yeah, PR was on the radio recently talkin bout "you don't gotta be friends w/someone to get money w/em doin shows".....lol....he than said he and C.L. would be doing some sets again...

hopefully they record somethin' new...

grass

Post by grass »

Just came home from the sold out show in Stockholm Sweden.

Amazing. No fuckin rappin over vocal versions as some say.
Great chemistry beteween Pete & C.L.
Did an interview with them after the signing session after the show and all I can say is that this for the moment, two humble dudes that loved what they did tonight. Maybe a showoff but they told me that they had been putting all the differences aside and started to work together again. The love and passion they showed in the pressroom tonight was not fake. Promise.
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

great.

agree with CL being good as well. I've only seen hate for CL on this board, nowhere else.

Cl Still got it, he's still goddit...it never left him...ooo scary spice yer complete set of bastards yer.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

As promised, I upped this link to the Pete Rock & CL Smooth Smooth Live show @ Jazz Cafe, London from 2004:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/683995951ae664f6/

Enjoy.

Prosper

Post by Prosper »

I wish i'd been there. It's always good to see them togehter again.

siderealist

Post by siderealist »

The youtube link has a comment sayin'

"They said theyre gonna do more shows but when some yelled "make another album" as quick as a flash CL yelled "No!""

I really hope they straighten it out cuz they both still got it
and damn- if ever- hiphop needs it

grass

Post by grass »

<object width="425" height="344"><param ... ></object>

Straighten It Out live from Stockholm with Pete & C.L showing their acting skills
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

siderealist

Post by siderealist »

nice one, grass. thanks!

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

They did a minutes silence for MJ. Someone shouted 'peado' and they called him a 'fucking knobhead' in a Dick Van Dyke cockney accent. Funny.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:They did a minutes silence for MJ. Someone shouted 'peado' and they called him a 'fucking knobhead' in a Dick Van Dyke cockney accent. Funny.
lol, shamone mutha fucker

Free-Khadafi

Post by Free-Khadafi »

Where at the Paris show
Dem wuz nice!

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

grass wrote:Just came home from the sold out show in Stockholm Sweden.

Amazing. No fuckin rappin over vocal versions as some say.
Great chemistry beteween Pete & C.L.
Did an interview with them after the signing session after the show and all I can say is that this for the moment, two humble dudes that loved what they did tonight. Maybe a showoff but they told me that they had been putting all the differences aside and started to work together again. The love and passion they showed in the pressroom tonight was not fake. Promise.
Signed! Was there as well and the jam was tight! Nice to see them together again and I'm grateful they came to Sweden and performed :cheers: