Whats Masta Ace up to these days

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Blockhead wrote:
vermillion wrote:Shame Masta Ace "retired" from doing solo records. Looking forward to the EMC record though. Am I the only one who prefers the Slaughtahouse album over A Long Hot Summer and Disposable Arts?
people prefer either of those albums to slaughtahouse? that's crazy. I didn't know that was a "thing".
"take a look around" is criminally slept on , as far as ace albums go.
clark bent wrote: slaughterhouse is his 'worst' record imo...i even like emc over it

Blanco

Post by Blanco »

In the recent interview he mentioned the next project will be some kind of a documentary DVD based on his life along with the new album - so it should be nice to get a new solo album from Ace after all!
+ he said working with new EMC
+ wanting to finally collab with Premier on smth - hopefully something more than a song

Bongloid

Post by Bongloid »

Blanco wrote:In the recent interview he mentioned the next project will be some kind of a documentary DVD based on his life along with the new album - so it should be nice to get a new solo album from Ace after all!
+ wanting to finally collab with Premier on smth - hopefully something more than a song
Thanks

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Bongloid wrote:
Blanco wrote:In the recent interview he mentioned the next project will be some kind of a documentary DVD based on his life along with the new album - so it should be nice to get a new solo album from Ace after all!
Thanks
Whoa, really great news.

Ace will make something serious of that Premo collabo. One of the thoroughest rappers in the game, no question.

Also, I saw Premier yesterday. Amazing show, LIVE as fuck.

Verge

Post by Verge »

vermillion wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
vermillion wrote:Shame Masta Ace "retired" from doing solo records. Looking forward to the EMC record though. Am I the only one who prefers the Slaughtahouse album over A Long Hot Summer and Disposable Arts?
people prefer either of those albums to slaughtahouse? that's crazy. I didn't know that was a "thing".
clark bent wrote: slaughterhouse is his 'worst' record imo...i even like emc over it
Holy fuck. Serious? I remember buying that tape (yellow tape) when it dropped and rocking it non stop. Style Wars, Mad Wunz, the og Jeep Ass Nigguh, Saturday Night Live, pretty much everything on there was good.
Crazy talk.

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

Jaz,
how was on Masta Ace & Ed OG concert? :gyeah:

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Markshot wrote:Jaz,
Really dope man, they did a fair bit from the new album, which definitely sounded better live, but "Lil Young" was amazing live and they did "I Got To Have It", "Crooklyn" "Good Ol Love" and "Wishing" (which I was really hoping they would do) and many others together, one of the highlights was when they both did a tribute to duos and would change thier caps and when they did EPMD and rocked Fisherman hats I lost it haha.

It was a great show and after The Beatnuts and DJ Premier, the nights before, it was a really great way to end the trifecta.

I got pics with Ace and Ed too, Ace doesn't really smile much :lol:

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

:lol:
Yep, i saw some of the pics on facebook.
Did Edo performed Skinny Dip?

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Markshot wrote::lol:
Yep, i saw some of the pics on facebook.
Did Edo performed Skinny Dip?
from memory, I don't think he did.

8ks

Post by 8ks »

i'd guess they did the same show in december here at hamburg, and no he didn't perform this. but while watching the video on youtube, i got reminded of this one. which he did perform.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IfthycVPC8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IfthycVPC8&hl ... 2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

(sorry, had to post it, i know it's a masta ace thread. but shit's too dope)

Sonic XZ

Post by Sonic XZ »

I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:Am i the only one that enjoyed his album with EDO G?? I mean this track was just fire:

<object width="600" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLbc551SvH8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLbc551SvH8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="600" height="300"></embed></object>
No, you're not the only one. I thoroughly enjoyed that joint too (and the track you provided the link for too). Based on the immediate reaction I saw people have to it after it came out late last year, think it's extremely underrated (especially if you add the tracks from the Extra Entertainment EP to the mix).
Blockhead wrote:
I completely agree with what you said about Take a Look Around, I couldn't have put it better myself.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8WzMEkCgVE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8WzMEkCgVE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Jaz wrote:
Really dope man, they did a fair bit from the new album, which definitely sounded better live, but "Lil Young" was amazing live and they did "I Got To Have It", "Crooklyn" "Good Ol Love" and "Wishing" (which I was really hoping they would do) and many others together, one of the highlights was when they both did a tribute to duos and would change thier caps and when they did EPMD and rocked Fisherman hats I lost it haha.

It was a great show and after The Beatnuts and DJ Premier, the nights before, it was a really great way to end the trifecta.

:cheers:

boogs

Post by boogs »

Personally I think it's a good thing that Ace doesn't put out solo albums anymore. Pretty much every collab/feature I've heard in recent years was better than his last two solo albums combined. Don't really understand the hype around Long Hot Summer or the album before that. Both very bland albums with maybe one of two really good songs and tons of filler material. He came thorugh on singles much more. Conflict with Guru was dope or that joint with Saukrates. Thought the EMC album was pretty underwhelming though, they can do better.

agony

Post by agony »

Jaz wrote:

Auckland or Wellington show?

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

agony wrote:
Jaz wrote:

Auckland or Wellington show?
Wellington show.

agony

Post by agony »

assuming premier did the same set at both venues.
you wouldn't happen to have that dam native track he played? If so could you please upload.

btw jeep ass nigguh is great live.