is Das Efx's "Hold it down" a classic album?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

yes
48%
no
52%

Total votes: 48

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

I say yes, it was one of those "fuck the industry" albums. Hard ass beats courtesy of Solid Scheme, Premier, and Pete Rock and could someone please tell me what infected Skoob on that album? On every track the nigga ssounded like he was out blood and hungry as fuck, they came with the stripped down diggedy style and made a back to back classic IMO.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Agreed, Hold It Down is their second best album to me, Dead Serious being the best.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

man, everything is passing as "classic" nowadays..."dead serious" is a questionable classic..."hold it down"? it's ok. far from classic.

skater4041

Post by skater4041 »

don't forget easy mo bee, he had some awesome beats on that album too

definitely a classic and my favorite das efx album

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

dont know if its classic in terms of say illmatic but its my favorite das album and one of the few albums from the mid 90's that i still go back to and listen from front to back.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Jaz wrote:Agreed, Hold It Down is their second best album to me, Dead Serious being the best.
Agreed.

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

classic in the sense that it is a great album from that time period that is still enjoyable, but not classic in the sense that it made my head want to explode, a la ILLMATIC.

I think I'll probably be listening to this today.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

pestilence

Post by pestilence »

Nooo.
Album was good.
Not even their best and their best wasn't a 'classic'.
I will say it has some classic songs... one being the pete rock remix of real hip hop... that beat is redic.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blockhead wrote:man, everything is passing as "classic" nowadays..."dead serious" is a questionable classic..."hold it down"? it's ok. far from classic.
Why is "Dead Serious" questionably a classic? It's a front-to-back banger, premiered one of the most original and engaging rap styles of all time, and its singles are some of the genre's most beloved classics. Production and sequencing are top-notch. I mean it's no Bazooka Tooth but c'mon....

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Definitely a classic to me. I still bump this regularly.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:
Blockhead wrote:man, everything is passing as "classic" nowadays..."dead serious" is a questionable classic..."hold it down"? it's ok. far from classic.
Why is "Dead Serious" questionably a classic? It's a front-to-back banger, premiered one of the most original and engaging rap styles of all time, and its singles are some of the genre's most beloved classics. Production and sequencing are top-notch. I mean it's no Bazooka Tooth but c'mon....
i been hearing a lot of shit about classic this and classic that lately. i feel like people are throwing that word around a bit much nowadays. not every album is "illmatic" but not every decent old album is classic either. people put way too much weight on nostalgia. it's as if no one made half assed shit in the early and mid 90's.
the only reason i say "Dead serious" is questionable is cause of how it has aged over the years. i loved that album and and it's got serious joints all over it. i can't say i ever go back to it. it represents a time to me more then anything. with that said, if someone was like "that's a classic" , i wouldn't argue. "hold it down" wasn't even classic when it dropped. it's ok. i remember buying it then and thinking that very thing.
oh and i'd never give anything i've worked on the "classic" moniker. that's insane.
Last edited by Blockhead on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Too much filler to be a classic

But the Microphone Master remix with Mobb Deep is out of this world

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

HOLD IT DOWN is questionable.

DEAD SERIOUS is a rock-solid 5 mic-er IMO.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Verge

Post by Verge »

The instrumental promo LP of Hold It Down is classic IMO.The album itself.....probably... depends on your definition of "classic",everyone has their own personal favorite shit that they consider "classic",but others may think is trash... :killacam: aight.Voted yes.I used to bump this album.I remember being so surprised at how dope it was,after they're second album(which I thought sucked besides a few joints).

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Blockhead wrote:
Thun wrote:
i been hearing a lot of shit about classic this and classic that lately. i feel like people are throwing that word around a bit much nowadays. not every album is "illmatic" but not every decent old album is classic either. people put way too much weight on nostalgia. it's as if no one made half assed shit in the early and mid 90's.
'Illmatic' surely isn't the only benchmark of a 'Classic' album. If it were, there would only really be a handfull of Hip Hop albums worthy of the title.

To me, 'Dead Serious' is a classic. There is absolutely nothing 'half assed' about that joint. Almost every track was single worthy (and most did drop on 12" - admittedly half were B-sides). I still spin a bunch of those tracks on the reg' when I DJ, and they all still sound fresh.

A classic constitutes something that is of the 'highest quality, class, or rank', and that, I feel, applies here.

'Hold It Down' isn't a much worse, and is an Ipod regular for me, while 'Real Hip Hop' (original Premo version and Pete Rock Remix) is a stock-standards in my play-out bag.

I consider both LPs to be classic, and would even suggest that the much ignored 'Straight Up Sewaside' isn't nearly as bad as it's given credit for.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Mark 563 wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
Thun wrote:
'Illmatic' surely isn't the only benchmark of a 'Classic' album. If it were, there would only really be a handfull of Hip Hop albums worthy of the title.

To me, 'Dead Serious' is a classic. There is absolutely nothing 'half assed' about that joint. Almost every track was single worthy (and most did drop on 12" - admittedly half were B-sides). I still spin a bunch of those tracks on the reg' when I DJ, and they all still sound fresh.

A classic constitutes something that is of the 'highest quality, class, or rank', and that, I feel, applies here.

'Hold It Down' isn't a much worse, and is an Ipod regular for me, while 'Real Hip Hop' (original Premo version and Pete Rock Remix) is a stock-standards in my play-out bag.

I consider both LPs to be classic, and would even suggest that the much ignored 'Straight Up Sewaside' isn't nearly as bad as it's given credit for.
i think you misunderstood a point i was making. i didn't mean an album had to be on illmatic's level to be considered a classic. what i meant is people are quick to call something classic when it is simply just decent. as i said, i won't argue the classic status of "dead serious". i wasn't inferring that "Dead serious" is half assed at all. far from it. however, while i don't think "hold it down" is half assed, it's simply not classic material to me.

Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Do we have a classic album thread on here?

Deezal

Post by Deezal »

come on, Das EFX made classic albums now?

The rose colored nostalgia of 90's Hip Hop amazes me, some folks 'classic' scale needs some readjusting.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

this classic non classic problem was always funny to me. I wanna see a list with classic albums, from a to z, are there any? :lol:

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i never really liked it. always thought straight up sewercide was better.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

ALASKA wrote:i never really liked it. always thought straight up sewercide was better.
alaska, you know i love you (no homo) but we all know "straight up sewercide" was garbage. it's a fact. i think i read it on wikipedia.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

Philaflava wrote:dont know if its classic in terms of say illmatic but its my favorite das album and one of the few albums from the mid 90's that i still go back to and listen from front to back.
co-signed.

in fact i think i like it more now than i did back when it came out.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

hold it down is not classic. too much filler. if i remember correctly that album is hella long.

dead serious is not classic either. i love it and all, but theres some corny songs and terrible raps on it. its very nursery rhyme ish. which was fine when i was in grade 9, but these days its a little :meh:

i agree with alaska, i like their second album waaay better. and if you go back to it today it still stands up.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

More than a handful of classic beats.
Lyrics....alright.
Co-sign too much filler.
Dead Serious had that much filler.
I'm beats 1st so this is the closest Das Efx to a classic LP.
Some more features would made it close.

STAM

Post by STAM »

who rhyme in "Ready To Ruck Ruff Rhymes" with Danzy & Books ??

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

STAM wrote:who rhyme in "Ready To Ruck Ruff Rhymes" with Danzy & Books ??
do you mean Krazy Drayz STAM?

PMD and C-Dogg.

AlienNationRadio

Post by AlienNationRadio »

Gotta love the miggity miggitys they spiced up their rhymes with...

dochiphop

Post by dochiphop »

man that album, by far, is NOT a classic IMO. Like a few before me have said people use that word "classic" too loosely nowadays. The album was good and i am a big Das Efx fan but people don't talk about and revere that album like they do about true classics that all hip hop headz agree about. Good but not a great album.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Classic? No. Their Best? Yes.

STAM

Post by STAM »

Jaz wrote:
STAM wrote:who rhyme in "Ready To Ruck Ruff Rhymes" with Danzy & Books ??
do you mean Krazy Drayz STAM?

PMD and C-Dogg.
yeah i think about Drayzy :cheers:

but....... PMD got verses at this track ? im pretty sure first & second part rhyme... i check ohhla com and truly.. he rhyme but i cant heard him :ardy: