Puff Daddy's "Juicy" or Pete Rock's "Juicy

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Puff Daddy's "Juicy" or Pete Rock's "Juicy"

Poke & Puff Daddy's Version
83%
Pete Rock's Version
17%

Total votes: 6

claaa7

Puff Daddy's "Juicy" or Pete Rock's "Juicy

Post by claaa7 »

I would guess that all of you is familiar with the story behind The Notorious B.I.G.'s big hit "Juicy". How Puffy heard the beat over at Pete's place and saw the Mtume record laying there on the turntable only to go back and re-create it himself. But unlike A Tribe Called Quest's "We Got Jazz" which supposedly was a similar situation, the album version of "Juicy" (produced by Poke of Trackmasters and Papa Diddy Pop) doesn't sound like something Pete would do. The drums are soft and overall it's a very polished, "poppy" record which despite it's classic status and memorable lyrics never hit the spot with me.

now Pete Rock's version that appeared as the B-side is a whole lot better in my opinion. i guess this is the instrumental he originally created and just threw the BIG accapella over it. the drums are much iller, it's still has cross-over potential (not as much though) and this version is really dope to me. whenever i load up "Ready to Die" to my iPod I replace the LP version with Pete's mix.

so what's the T.R.O.Y. Forum members feelings about this, which version is better?

and also while we're talking about Bad Boy beat snatches back in the '90s, did you read this - http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/09/anot ... natch.html
(that link also has a 320 kbps rip of the "Juicy" remix, from the CD single)
Last edited by claaa7 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

It depends on the listener, everybody's bound to have a different opinion depending on what you like about the sound of Hip Hop production. I never looked down on the original for the respect I have for the classic Mtume song sampled and 80's R&B musicians in general. I think both offer a different feel which is favorable so it's hard for me to choose either or, the og version is mellow and reflective and the remix makes my head want to nod.

I never thought the og version of Juicy was designed as a a Pop record because it's basically the same classic formula done by artists before: a simple 80's R&B loop with a replacement singer on the hook. For blatant 80's R&B sampling I DO look down on songs by artists like Puffy who took Pete's idea of looping on Juicy and ran with it to make songs filled with materialistic nonsense in the late 90's. I like songs like Juicy, Life's A Bitch, Sugar Hill, Problems, What's On Your Mind etc. because they have dope lyrical performances and creative use of classic 80's R&B songs.

Nice article at your blog. It's an unpleasant read though just because it brings back memories of things I stared to shake my head at about Hip Hop in the late 90's: blatant biting.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

Brandon, to clearify I don't look down on "Juicy" in any way - i like alot of songs that have cross-over appeal, it's just as for me personally the track never was as enjoyable as most people thinks (i know alot of people who feel that is one of the true, great classic masterpieces of the '90s). it's an aight song with great lyrics but i think the drums and overall feel of Pete's version transforms it to an impeccable classic. it's definitely my prefered version.

btw, did you cop that SP1200 book yet and if so, how was it?
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Oh ok, I thought you were saying you didn't like Juicy in general and as much as the remix because of the production style. I admit I had my times when I preferred the remix over the original as well until I gained a broader appreciation for music in general. Back then all I wanted to hear was the boom-bap so I would've chose Pete's version any day, but now I'm more interested in melody, overall songwriting and the nostalgic value of sampling a classic so I put the og version of Juicy at a higher level of appreciation, even though it was a damn theft by Puff.

The SP book is pretty crazy, anyone who is a fan of the producer's listed in it is bound to gain a different perspective of their music and Hip Hop overall after reading it.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The OG Juicy because it's better. People like the Pete Rock shit because it was just different. A played out song they heard on a different beat.

But let's not fool anyone, Puff didn't really produce shit. He paid for the samples and told Poke (from Tone & Poke) what he wanted in that regard, but the actual beat was done by Poke.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

LP over Pete's version all day. The lp version is one of my alltime favorite songs. Pete's version is still great of course.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

not a fan of either the girl signing the hook is very weak. (and generally i dont have a problem with rnb or rap track with rnb hooks)

but i guess the lp version. the sample is so glossy/shiny that poke's drums and the higher equalizing of the bass fit way better (actually thats just staying more true to the original)

mtume song is better

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

One of the weaker cuts from Biggie's debut.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

bbatson1 wrote:LP over Pete's version all day. The lp version is one of my alltime favorite songs. Pete's version is still great of course.
this...

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

Jaz wrote:
bbatson1 wrote:LP over Pete's version all day. The lp version is one of my alltime favorite songs. Pete's version is still great of course.
this...

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Philaflava wrote:The OG Juicy because it's better. People like the Pete Rock shit because it was just different. A played out song they heard on a different beat.

But let's not fool anyone, Puff didn't really produce shit. He paid for the samples and told Poke (from Tone & Poke) what he wanted in that regard, but the actual beat was done by Poke.
Well said :cheers:

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

Did'nt care for either. Pete's remix seemed to come from wanting to show the difference in his flip of the same sample. He should've just used an entirely different sound & he probably would've had the best beat on the album.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

45ReC wrote:Did'nt care for either. Pete's remix seemed to come from wanting to show the difference in his flip of the same sample. He should've just used an entirely different sound & he probably would've had the best beat on the album.
no supposedly its like claa wrote in the first post. pete made it puff heard it saw the sample and let poke make a beat with the same sample

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Jaz wrote:
this...

45ReC

Post by 45ReC »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:no supposedly its like claa wrote in the first post. pete made it puff heard it saw the sample and let poke make a beat with the same sample
No you not listening. I know the story. Pete's original version would've sounded 50x's better than what poke did. The remix was a way to show he could still flip the sample any way he wanted & still be funky but he should've just gave them a different joint.