Megaupload shutdown (upd8: Fileserve generates a new spine)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

bbatson1 wrote:update.. it's a wrap. You can't download shit. Especially movies and tv shows. How the fuck can America just shut shit down everywhere with no trial, no anything. More importantly how the fuck am i going to get movies?

MegaUpload - Closed.
- FileServe - Closing does not sell premium.
- FileJungle - Deleting files. Locked in the U.S..
- UploadStation - Locked in the U.S..
- FileSonic - the news is arbitrary (under FBI investigation).
- VideoBB - Closed! would disappear soon.
- Uploaded - Banned U.S. and the FBI went after the owners who are gone.
- FilePost - Deleting all material (so will leave executables, pdfs, txts)
- Videoz - closed and locked in the countries affiliated with the USA.
- 4shared - Deleting files with copyright and waits in line at the FBI.
- MediaFire - Called to testify in the next 90 days and it will open doors pro FBI
-Org torrent - could vanish with everything within 30 days "he is under criminal
investigation"
- Network Share mIRC - awaiting the decision of the case to continue or terminate Torrente everything.
- Koshiki - operating 100% Japan will not join the SOUP / PIPA
- Shienko Box - 100% working china / korea will not join the SOUP / PIPA
- ShareX BR - group UOL / BOL / iG say they will join the SOUP / PIPA
It's just going to backfire so badly on the record companies, people won't be buying thier over priced CD's and will just go back to burning everything, for a country that is hell bent on being about freedom for it's people, this is the sheer opposite of that, artists that offer thier music for free are getting hit with this bullshit, same with all of the blogs that have permisson to share music.

My questions are, yes why no trials? and why not go after the torrents first?, these are the ones that are putting up huge movie and TV files, is this not just about labels like Sony etc and the multi millionaire movue companies?

Fuck the FBI and the fat record execs who need more coke money, while pushing thier wack "music"...this is so topical after the SOPA shit, maybe this was planned all along?.

But lastly, why now?...filesharing sites have been around for years...will they be able to shutdown Soulseek?

As far as other ones will pop up, yes they will...but they will be watched and probably taken down as soon as they go up.

R.I.P. Filesharing and freedom to do what you want on the net.
Last edited by Jaz on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

bbatson1 wrote:Everyone just needs to go back to soulseek.
Hell yeah man, I just re-installed Soulseek last night and copped a gang of Boo-Yaa Tribe albums.
Last edited by ScholarWenis on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

does anyone else think that You Tube is going to vanish as well?

step one

Post by step one »

Interesting read here...

http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/23/15-fi ... load-feds/

Mediafire seems to think they're safe (really hope this is the case)

http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/22/media ... el-piracy/

I know everyones on some 'fuck the feds' thing right now but all those free downloads Megauploads facilitate dont do the artists you like any favours at all. They arent that different to the dudes bootlegging CDs and Tapes in the 90s. There's been more than a few rappers who's sales suffered due to heavy bootlegging. I remember reading that was the case with Brand Nubian's first album for example.

Obviously theres a huge difference between uploading an out of print indie 12" from 1996 than there is posting up the brand new Dreamworks flick or whatever but you get the point Im making.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Jaz wrote:does anyone else think that You Tube is going to vanish as well?
No way.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

step one wrote:Interesting read here...

http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/23/15-fi ... load-feds/

Mediafire seems to think they're safe (really hope this is the case)

http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/22/media ... el-piracy/

I know everyones on some 'fuck the feds' thing right now but all those free downloads Megauploads facilitate dont do the artists you like any favours at all. They arent that different to the dudes bootlegging CDs and Tapes in the 90s. There's been more than a few rappers who's sales suffered due to heavy bootlegging. I remember reading that was the case with Brand Nubian's first album for example.

Obviously theres a huge difference between uploading an out of print indie 12" from 1996 than there is posting up the brand new Dreamworks flick or whatever but you get the point Im making.

Bran Nubian was one of the most heavily bootlegged acts at one point, I think, you're right.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

tibo

Post by tibo »

step one wrote: I know everyones on some 'fuck the feds' thing right now but all those free downloads Megauploads facilitate dont do the artists you like any favours at all. They arent that different to the dudes bootlegging CDs and Tapes in the 90s. There's been more than a few rappers who's sales suffered due to heavy bootlegging. I remember reading that was the case with Brand Nubian's first album for example.
I think that's not on the same level.
Bootleggers sell to someone who wanted to buy the music so artist really lost a sale when someone bought a bootleg.
Nowadays, someone download something doesn't mean that artist lost a sale and I'm pretty sure that internet helped a lot to increase sales of many minor artists.

step one

Post by step one »

tibo wrote: Nowadays, someone download something doesn't mean that artist lost a sale and I'm pretty sure that internet helped a lot to increase sales of many minor artists.
I get that just because someone downloaded it they might not have bought it but to say it hasnt affected sales is ridiculous.

Its helped less known artists get exposure but its alot harder for them to make a living.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
Jaz wrote:does anyone else think that You Tube is going to vanish as well?
No way.
youtube actually often goes out of its way to remove copyrighted material

and downloading full albums from smaller artists definitely hurts their sales, especially when digital is the only available option - not many people dl the latest buzzing indy rap opus and then go out of their way to pay to dl it again

perversely, the same large scale pop acts that the riaa is bending backwards to protect often seem to do better with digital sales than their indy counterparts - normal pop music consumers that don't spend a significant amount of time on the net, the kind of people that want a new lady gaga or adele album for example, are probably more likely to just buy it off itunes instead of searching for megaupload links. yes a leak of the new gaga album will probably cost her some amount in sales, but that amount is likely fairly small when compared to what the her album garners overall
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

step one

Post by step one »

drizzle wrote: the kind of people that want a new lady gaga or adele album for example, are probably more likely to just buy it off itunes instead of searching for megaupload links.
This.
The majority of people out there wont have heard of megaupload or whatever until recently. Most casual music fans will just cop off official sites.
Having said that, it might change with all the recent articles that mention 'all you need to do is google artist/song and mediafire/megaupload etc'
Although thats a standard trick for people like us, its not something thats common knowledge (until now?)

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

‎"Megaupload was planning on launching a new music sharing website called Megabox that looked like it had the potential to completely transform music distribution, and even find a way to pay musicians in the process allowing artists to keep 90 percent of the earnings."

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/ ... shut-down/

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

You take one look at that owner Kim and you just feel sorry for him despite his riches. No wonder he had to remix his last name and get license plates with GOD on them.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

Haha. To be honest he was/is kind of a shady dude. But yeah he didnt kill somebody.

gimantalon

Post by gimantalon »

serch4beatz wrote:Haha. To be honest he was/is kind of a shady dude. But yeah he didnt kill somebody.
in early 00s he was once arrested in my country because he (instead of helping) filmed a woman on the ground hit by the car of his friend.

he won the european gumball race a several times (with cheating):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWSFtpP4Nbs

lmao, just found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcp-jxafcQ

i've also read he's GOAT in the game CoD and he gave New Zealand fireworks for new years eve.

but i think fbi hurt them self by arresting him, everything will move to Russia. America can't do jack shit in Russia.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The guy is obese, suffers from extremely low-self esteem and is rather disturbing looking. He is also a liar who always wanted to fit in. Karma got him.

tibo

Post by tibo »

step one wrote:
tibo wrote: Nowadays, someone download something doesn't mean that artist lost a sale and I'm pretty sure that internet helped a lot to increase sales of many minor artists.
I get that just because someone downloaded it they might not have bought it but to say it hasnt affected sales is ridiculous.

Its helped less known artists get exposure but its alot harder for them to make a living.
Right but in my opinion there is more than the download effect to explain the decrease of sales in music.

There are a lot more entertainment now than 10 or 15 years ago. Beside music and movie (cinema & DVD/Bluray), we now have series and video games (which are now for every ages) and we might put some other stuffs that should fit in the entertainment category such as travels.
Every newspaper talk about one of those stuff making peoples understand that they have to take an interest in one/several of those entertainment form (and those imply other purchases, flat screen TV, computer, internet etc...)
I'm not sure that we are richer than 15 years ago so we have to split the same amount of money in many more stuff.
So either people stop watching/listening so many series/movies/music or prices of entertainment decrease and people from this industry provide a real way to buy and download easily (bittorent, megaupload, emule those are real good ways to provide music) good quality music (why movies are in HD while music is still in mp3 ?).

Verge

Post by Verge »

aREAL wrote:‎"Megaupload was planning on launching a new music sharing website called Megabox that looked like it had the potential to completely transform music distribution, and even find a way to pay musicians in the process allowing artists to keep 90 percent of the earnings."

YES. This is what i was trying to say. This alone was enough motivation for UMG to press the politicians in their pockets to push the feds to bust Mega cause this Megabox thing had the potential to seriously damage or maybe even completely finish off an already reeling major label.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Verge wrote:
aREAL wrote:‎"Megaupload was planning on launching a new music sharing website called Megabox that looked like it had the potential to completely transform music distribution, and even find a way to pay musicians in the process allowing artists to keep 90 percent of the earnings."

YES. This is what i was trying to say. This alone was enough motivation for UMG to press the politicians in their pockets to push the feds to bust Mega cause this Megabox thing had the potential to seriously damage or maybe even completely finish off an already reeling major label.
not only that fam...

http://www.thecmuwebsite.com/article/me ... e-takedown

step one

Post by step one »

‎"Megaupload was planning on launching a new music sharing website called Megabox that looked like it had the potential to completely transform music distribution, and even find a way to pay musicians in the process allowing artists to keep 90 percent of the earnings."
This needs to happen. I think Hulkshare are looking at a similar thing as they have artist endorsements on their home page.
If they act as a label/distributor it could be a great arrangement.

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

What chall think about this one? platinshare.com

check out, 500mbs and files deleted only if inactive for 3650 days... so 20 years.
http://www.platinshare.com/help/faq

only thing if their servers r located in USA?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Well, thats 10 years, :p and yes they will have problems. but like i said, the megaupload thing was of personal interest to UMG therefore personal interest to the gov so I wouldn't panic if i was one of the other filesharers right now. Unless them freedom destroying laws, disguised as copyright laws, pass.
:megaman:

Mr. J Selectah

Post by Mr. J Selectah »

Damn, the Sociedadtravieza and Silverback Muzik blogs got shut down :roll: ...they were some of the best. So if it happens the same to Olasunbekons, it'll definitly be the end for the Hip Hop blogs...it has just begun.
"You should let your man speak on your behalf, because when i let my blade slice, you'll just be half!"

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Mr. J Selectah wrote:Damn, the Sociedadtravieza and Silverback Muzik blogs got shut down :roll: ...they were some of the best. So if it happens the same to Olasunbekons, it'll definitly be the end for the Hip Hop blogs...it has just begun.
it doesn't mean the end of hip hop blogs. i appreciate people who take their time to upload but the most intersting blogs are still those with interviews, write ups etc

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

It only happened because most idiots name the release like the release is called instead of abc.rar.

serch4beatz

Post by serch4beatz »

Stieflkater wrote:It only happened because most idiots name the release like the release is called instead of abc.rar.
the fault of the scene man..but yeah they dont really up things to filesharing sites more to private ftp's so renaming it would've been better for sure

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

Mr. J Selectah wrote:Damn, the Sociedadtravieza and Silverback Muzik blogs got shut down :roll: ...they were some of the best. So if it happens the same to Olasunbekons, it'll definitly be the end for the Hip Hop blogs...it has just begun.

ok, we can still run this till the end of the line, when dmca kicks us down,
we will see.

once olasunbekons got closed, but these times r even harder. if we will get down. i think it will be time to create something similar to bustthefacts with timeline and only out of print records on share.

we will see.

JankZ

Post by JankZ »

Stieflkater wrote:It only happened because most idiots name the release like the release is called instead of abc.rar.
renaming to abc wont help.
they can look into your folders (hoster's staff)
solution to this is passwording the file.

and were talkin here bout blogs closing down also, and lately hosters close their files down entirely not by selection (megaupload, filesonic - no more sharing for ALL links, the ''artist - album name'' and ''acb123'' ones)
so if dmca will need to knock all blogs down, they will find a reason, and blogger will cooperate.

Stieflkater

Post by Stieflkater »

Ok - so it looks like it will be going back to the old days.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

May have to buy a radio and tape deck again.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Architek

Post by Architek »

Fileserve is back from the dead.