DSD:Digable Planets/O.C./Scarface/Twista

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

Blowout Comb.
9%
The Diary.
29%
Resurrection.
3%
Word...Life.
59%

Total votes: 58

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

We're basically back at the same numbers we were at a couple day ago when I had to reset it. Obviously the results are lookin' a little different, not that much closer than last time around though, just a different first place. And I guess all the Blowout Comb votes from before are now goin' to Word...Life? That or those people aren't voting now, either way.

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

Blowout Comb needs a re-mastered release with all the instrumentals. I would pick it based on that alone. But Word...Life wins otherwise.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

I went for OC as it was the one I was feeling the most back in 94.

As of now I'd say it's a tie between Blowout Comb and Word...Life.

I had the Scarface album on cassette at the time but wasn't feeling it much despite quite liking his previous stuff with the Geto Boys and his 2 solo albums.

Never heard the Twista album, hopefully never will :lol:

kimani

Post by kimani »

I understand that it can be tempting to initially disregard Blowout Comb for its lack of skill and story, its relative unimportance to the future of the genre (it was more so harkening back to days of old), and maybe a perceived simplicity/repetitiveness/lack of interest in the beats, but god damn is it listenable. Although I do feel that the beats are often more tributes to splendidly great jazz or soul songs rather than masterful reworkings of production genius, I'll listen to that shit all day every day. And I think the emceeing is overlooked--especially on this second album, they don't have the obviously hard-hitting abortion song or an equivalent, but their style is unequivocally stylistic--modern, hip, sure of itself: in essence, it was very New York. It can be difficult to walk through Harlem (I'm assuming the same goes for other parts as well) on a sunny weekend day and not have a song from this album float into your subconscious.

But obviously I voted Word...Life.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

I gotta go with OCג€™s joint. That album was so fuckin ill, and I have so many memories jamming it in my rape van, crusin around for bitches

Scarface is cool but I its not as good as ג€œThe world is yoursג€ or ג€œMr. Scarface is backג€. still a hot album but never got into Diary.

Blowout Comb album is dope as well but havent listened to it in awhile.

Twista was on dat homeless shit so fuck dat nigga

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Echo Leader wrote:I can't talk to my mother, so I talk to my diary.
This.

A year ago I woulda said OC, but I been listening to nothin but 'Face and Geto Boys for the past 4-5 months, and The Diary is my shit, his best solo album! Word Life still classic and a close second tho.