DSD:Apache/Kool G Rap/The Pharcyde/Wreckx-N-Effect

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

Apache Ain't Shit.
3%
Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde.
48%
Hard or Smooth.
7%
Live and Let Die.
41%

Total votes: 58

TheBigSleep

DSD:Apache/Kool G Rap/The Pharcyde/Wreckx-N-Effect

Post by TheBigSleep »

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

I bought Hard & Smooth.
But knowing what I know now, it would have been Pharcyde easily, which I stil ended up buying a year later.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

the cool vote is live and let die but we all know everybody is close to clicking bizarre ride.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:I bought Hard or Smooth.
<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKKONgfNONU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKKONgfNONU?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

The one with more than one good song on it: Giancana :lol:

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

I went for The Pharcyde as it's the album I was feeling the most back then and it's still a favourite to this day.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Oh shit!

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Well KGR was up by three, then they were tied at seven and now Pharcyde is up by three. (And I didn't expect to Wreckx-N-Effect to get a vote before Apache.)
Last edited by TheBigSleep on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

grass

Post by grass »

Voted for G-Rap & Sir Jinx as Live And Let Die is one of my fav albums ever.
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Bigg Boss Luciano wrote:The one with more than one good song on it: Giancana.
I know what you're sayin' (Gangsta Bitch, Passin' Me By and Rumpshaker being the hits) but The Pharcyde actually put out more singles promoting Bizarre Ride than G Rap did for Live and Let Die, not that that really means anything, figured I'd point it out though.
Echo Leader wrote:Oh shit!
I'm guessing this is just referring to the match up in general.

The results have been entertaining so far. Didn't think it'd remain this close after the early lead by Kool G but it's been back and forth ever since with Pharcyde breaking the last couple ties.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

i always said out of thoselegendary late 80s mcs G Rap always was my least favorite and while his early albums have classic songs they also have some tracks that because of production have aged very badly like so many other late 80ies albums.
live and let die is by far his best and congruently produced album and still enjoyable front to back to this day.

i still went with the pharcyde becasue thanks to its production and everyday carefree attitude is the record ive gone back to more in my life.

i have never heard the wrexxx and effect album and the apache joint although having some big names on production isn't even all that sonically - without even thinking abbout his lackluster raps

Thun

Post by Thun »

Kool G Rap and it's not even close.

Pharcyde album has some gems but nobody above the age of 22 can plausibly enjoy the coke-addled funhouse carnival vibe.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Thun wrote: Pharcyde album has some gems but nobody above the age of 22 can plausibly enjoy the coke-addled funhouse carnival vibe.
:myjah:

Point taken but in this case you're wrong.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:live and let die is by far his best and congruently produced album and still enjoyable front to back to this day.

i still went with the pharcyde becasue thanks to its production and everyday carefree attitude is the record ive gone back to more in my life.

i have never heard the wrexxx and effect album and the apache joint although having some big names on production isn't even all that sonically - without even thinking abbout his lackluster raps
all of this.

that wrekx video posted is pretty good tho, wouldn't mind hearing the album now

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

It does have some Teddy Riley and Ty Fyffe production (plus early Pharrell ghostwriting) for what that's worth.

<object width="640" height="533" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" id="ordie_player_03a443a26f"><param name="movie" value="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="key=03a443a26f" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed width="640" height="533" flashvars="key=03a443a26f" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" src="http://player.ordienetworks.com/flash/fodplayer.swf" name="ordie_player_03a443a26f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

ג€œYou act like all I wanna do is zooma-zoom-zoom in your boom-boom.ג€ ~ Dave Chappelle

This match up kinda reminds me of the '93 Souls vs. KRS match up. Early / mid nineties, opposite coasts, close back and forth voting results.

And that orange-y yellow color for the text must've been in right then I guess.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Live And Let Die.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

It's hard to believe that the Apache album came out in the same year as the Pharcyde LP - it sounds so much more dated to me.

I voted Pharcyde, as when it dropped it was in constant rotation for almost a year - that album along with Jungle Brothers' 'J Beez...' were mainstays on my boombox, back to back for a good 12 months.

That said, these days I have little desire to listen to any Pharcyde, and would pick G Rap if they dropped today.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Mark 563 wrote:It's hard to believe that the Apache album came out in the same year as the Pharcyde LP - it sounds so much more dated to me.

I voted Pharcyde, as when it dropped it was in constant rotation for almost a year - that album along with Jungle Brothers' 'J Beez...' were mainstays on my boombox, back to back for a good 12 months.

That said, these days I have little desire to listen to any Pharcyde, and would pick G Rap if they dropped today.
I thought Bizzare Ride II originally came out in late 92?

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Jaz wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:It's hard to believe that the Apache album came out in the same year as the Pharcyde LP - it sounds so much more dated to me.

I thought Bizzare Ride II originally came out in late 92?
November 24th 1992.

cleanprophet

Post by cleanprophet »

I have to say that despite voting for The Pharcyde, I'm halfway through listening to Live and Let Die for the first time in a long time and I'm regretting not voting it now!

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Jaz wrote:I thought Bizarre Ride originally came out in late '92?
It did. As did Apache's album, Kool G & Polo's Live and Let Die and Wreckx-N-Effect's sophomore. All the albums listed in the poll dropped on the same day, that's the concept for the series. The original release date is listed below the picture of the album covers in the first post.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

If I were president you'd all have to vote Pharcyde. Album is, was and will always be a great listen.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

TheBigSleep wrote:
Jaz wrote:I thought Bizarre Ride originally came out in late '92?
It did. As did Apache's album, Kool G & Polo's Live and Let Die and Wreckx-N-Effect's sophomore. All the albums listed in the poll dropped on the same day, that's the concept for the series. The original release date is listed below the picture of the album covers in the first post.
TBS the reason I got confused is I remembered that Apache's album was released in 93, I remember picking it up back then but according to Discogs it was released in 92 in Italy and Germany...I never knew that.

http://www.discogs.com/Apache-Apache-Ai ... ster/66338

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah I've seen that, not sure the exact history but it was recorded in '91 / '92 and yet a few usually reputable sites even list that it dropped in '91 which I didn't think there was any record of whatsoever. November of '92 is the earliest and most precise date I've found (so far). It's definitely a non-factor in this poll regardless.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

.....I don't know anyone that bought that Apache album....

Also, I enjoyed the 2nd album from Wreckx-N-Effect, it flopped hard and only one song got any radio play, but it had some good songs and A-Plus stepped his flow up considerably. Worth a download if your bored.

http://depositfiles.com/files/zb3p4mtkz

Thun

Post by Thun »

I agree that A Plus had more talent than you'd think. The other guy was amazingly wack.

I Smell Like Un Kasa

I can't even remember the other guys name, I don't think he's on this album much, if at all. It's mostly A Plus

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Voted Apache, I like the production and he was underrated as an MC. The G Rap album is dope too of course. Can't front on the Pharcyde but, like others, I don't think I could ever listen through it again.

vincentlopez

Post by vincentlopez »

Pharcyde with G Rap a very close second.
~Get those old Source magazines here~
http://thimk.wordpress.com

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

^ That about sums up the results thus far.