Sunz Of Man ORIGINAL 1995 Debut (comp link)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

claaa7

Sunz Of Man ORIGINAL 1995 Debut (comp link)

Post by claaa7 »

this is something i wrote and did for THE LOST TAPES. i don't know if you are aware that Sunz Of Man (Prodigal Sunn, Killah Priest, Hell Razah, 60 Sec Assassin; previously also Shabazz The Disciple and 7th Ambassador) actually recorded and completed an album to be released in 1996, called "Nothing New Under The Sun". it was very different from the '98 debut, much darker and grimier and a hell lot more Killah Priest verses.. it was after Shabazz and 7th Ambassador left though.

i've had the following compilation album on my harddrive and iPod for at least one year, and i absolutely loved it. i think this is actually very close to what it would have sounded, of course not exactly, but there are several (about half) that's been confirmed to have been on the album. the others were recorded around the same time which is evident bc this is after the "First Testament" joints so it's after Da Last Future dayz and before "Last Shall Be"... read my article below, and download the "album" for yourself. i strongly recommend you listening to this in its entirety. enjoy!
Even if you're only remotely into The Wu-Tang Clan and their many affilliates, the name Sunz Of Man should ring a bell. Not where they only one of the absolute first of the Killa Beez (not to mention best) to get the chance to release a few 12" singles of their own to test the waters. These proved Sunz was the breeding ground for some of the finest lyricists in rap's history, including Killah Priest, Hell Razah, Prodigal Sunn and the joker of the deck, 60 Second Assassin. They constantly made music that forced you to think and/or take a stance; each respective emcees style really clicked with the next and their ear for beats were always on point throughout the 1990s. The result was a four man crew (originally six, then five) that should have made a lot higher numbers than they did.

With their singles run between 1995 and 1996 that featured dark classics like "Soldiers Of Darkness" / "5 Arch Angels", and "No Love Without Hate", they separated themeselves from their peers through mixing the dark, rugged beats that you'll expect from murder music, but instead injectimg vast amounts of knowledge. Despite the underground popularity of those singles (some which even garnered a very small amount of MTV play), it wouldn't be until 1998 that Sunz Of Man's official debut LP landed on store shelves; "The Last Shall Be First". Featuring production by The RZA, True Master, 4th Disciple and Supreme, and cameos from Raekwon, U-God, ODB, Method Man, Wyclef and even Earth, Wind & Fire, the album was a great lisen, though it could be argued that it lacked the agressiveness and punch of those early aforementioned singles.

What many people don't know is that "The Last Shall Be First" is not the original Sunz Of Man debut; official? Yes. But actually first completed full-legnth LP? That's a no. Already when they dropped those first timeless singles, and had hooked up with The RZA and 4th Disciple, the four man group (Shabazz The Disciple lett during the initial recording sessions), Those who read The Source back in the mid-'90s might remember ads for a Sunz Of Man debut album called "Nothing New Under The Sun", featuring the previously released singles, and executive produced by The RZA. This was at the very height of The Wu-Tang's success, during releases of such timeless classics like "Return of the 36 Chambers", "Cuban Linx" and "Liquid Swords", and the only Killa Beez to strike a deal beside Shyheim The Rugged Child (who was somewhere in between a Wu-Tang affiliate and dito GP Wu at the time). RZA had started his own Wu-Tang Records imprint at this point, and Sunz Of Man's "Soldiers Of Darkness" was its first signee; meaning that "Nothign New..." would've been the first release on the label which was scheduled for 1996. I haven't heard much why the label ultimately decided to shelv it shortly after its completion, as it had much of the Wu-Tang sound they were known for at that time, and Priority Records wasn't exactly known to boycott hardcore hip-hop. Maybe it was the heavy knowledge that scared them off. After all, all major record labels strive to make sure that the population are kept dumb, deaf and blind, which is the exact reason that we see people like Cheef Keef and Lil' Boosie getting record deals and extreme promotion backings; but that's a whole other discussion for another day.

"Nothing New Under the Sun" has never been released or leaked in full, not even a tracklist has surfaced at this point. That however didn't stop me when I decided that we needed to hear at least some version of this lost classic. Through extensive research, a lot of time and thought, and the use of my ears to determine production- and vocal styles found on the extensive gang of tracks pre-"The Last..." that I had collected throughout the years. I was determined to put together a full-length "album" that I believe come as close as possible represent what we would have heard in 1996, had Sunz Of Man debuted with this instead. To my ears, these 18 tracks came out as an absolutely terrific set, resulting in that you might find the '98 retail album a little bleak in comparision the next time you give it a spin.

It should be noted that I've loved "The Last Shall..." since I first popped in the disc when it dropped, and still does. The earlier '95 sessions are many times a completely different animal altogether though; filled with moody and dark soundscapes, chaotic strings, haunting female vocals, off key piano lines all tied together by the rugged boom-bap drums. Together these elements create a fantastic canvas for the four emcees to paint vivid picture of ghetto struggles, 5% knowledge, living righteous, cinematic stories and so on. Something that will please Killah Priest fans is that he's heard on damn near every song here, as opposed to the official debut album where only dropped five verses in total. I believe the majority of these 18 tracks were recorded between 1993 and 1996, and is mainly produced by Supreme (Kourt) and 4th Disciple; with some additional input by Y-Kim, RZA, Allah Mathematics and possibly True Master.

Speaking on RZA, you'll notice that both "Can I See You?" and "Inmates to the Fire" appears here again, despite them being tracks on "The Last...". The reason being that those songs were recorded way back in '95, and although they had to re-record the verses when they found the original reels during the making of the official Red Ant album, they were in fact recorded and intended for "Nothing...". Below you'll find Hell Razah's own words on these particular two songs, from this great interview on "Last Shall Be First" :

"Inmates to the Fire - This was done at RZAs house, where we also did "Soldiers of Darkness." We had done this around the same time they were doing Rae's album. We had done another song called "As It Was Written" that didn't make the album. Those two songs were on the same reel. We couldnt find the beat because of everything RZA lost in the flood in the studio. It was through the will of God that we found it. We had to redo the vocals over and all sorts of crazy shit. Killah Priest was on the original song. He was recording "Heavy Mental" when we were recording some of these songs, so we couldnt get a hold of him.

"Can I See You - This is another vintage "Five Arch Angels" record from those days. RZA did this beat. It wasnt supposed to be on the album. 4th was in the studio and everyone thought he did that beat, but it was RZA actually. 4th came to the studio with Berretta 9 from Killarmy. He kicked his verse and Prodigal wanted him to get on the shit, so we threw Berretta 9 on there and did Sunz of Man/Killarmy collaboration. This song got such a response."

Just from this little excerpt, three songs are confirmed as having been recorded for the '96 LP (including the RZA produced "As It Was Written"). "Soldiers Of Darkness", "Five Arch Angels", "Bloody Choices" and "No Love Without Hate" were all singles released on Wu-Tang Recors in the mid-'90s, making it clear they were also from the album. "Mics Of Insanity" is the only Y-Kim/Sunz collabo ever released, so I have a strong feeling this was the song they did for the project."Wicked Ways" could have been for the album; it was at least recorded during the same sessions, considering it's a 4th Dissciple production and later in the year used for the compilation "One Million Strong". In fact most of the tracks here, I have noticed through my research that almost every song here have, in some capacity, been said to be songs from those recording sessions. And listening to it, there's really nothing that stick out in a bad way or sound out of place to me. Of course, the sequencing are all courtesy of me, to make it sound like an actual album rather than some thrown together songs, and from the eighteen songs included there are most definitely a vast amount of tracks that would not have appeared on the final release. With that being said, I think this is one of my best album-like compilations so far, and a must hear for any Sunz Of Man and mid-'90s Wu-Tang Clan fanatics, although it's f course not the exactly real actual album. There's also a bootleg/mixtape that's been circulating for some time, bearing the same title, but bearing little to no resemblance to the original album, unlike the download below. Grab it, enjoy and TURN IT THE FUCK UP!!!
01."As It Was Written" [prod. by The RZA]
02. "No Love Without Hate" [prod. by Supreme Kourt]
03. "Soldiers Of Darkness" (w/ Killarmy) [prod. by 4th Disciple & RZA]
04. "Love Of Money" [unknown producer]
05. "Can I See You?" [prod. by The RZA]
06. "Life" [unknown producer]
07. "Wicked Ways" [prod. by 4th Disciple]
08. ""Let's All Agree"
09. "Wicked Wayz" [prod. by 4th Disciple]
10. "Black Sleeping Beauty" [prod. by 4th Disciple]
11. "The Law" [prod. by Supreme Kourt]
12. "Embarassed" (Ft. Dreddy Kruger) [prod. by Allah Mathematics]
13. "Inmates to the Fire" [prod. by The RZA]
14. "Mics Of Insanity" [prod. by Y-Kim]
15. "Move Away"
16. "Signs Of The Times (Got Me Driiftin')" [prod. by 4th Disciple]
17. "Flame Throwerz (2 Be An Expert)" (Ft. Killa Sin & Timbo King)
18. "Five Arch Angels"

DOWNLOAD @ MEDIAFIRE
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

shadowmaster

Re: Sunz Of Man ORIGINAL 1995 Debut (comp link)

Post by shadowmaster »

Hey, thanks once again.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

foobar

Post by foobar »

Damn this is dope thanks!

Verge

Post by Verge »

cool. I remember being kinda disappointed with their debut after hearing better stuff that wasn't on it. I was happy when they finally released a lot of those older joints on that Old Testament cd.
Don't forget there's some good tracks on that Deep In The Water 12":
http://www.discogs.com/Sunz-Of-Man-Deep ... ase/957243

I don't remember hearing the cuts off this one here:
http://www.discogs.com/Sunz-Of-Man-Who- ... ase/331838

and isn't a couple of the Sunz Of Man on this?:
http://www.discogs.com/High-Side-Infant ... se/2095257

Apparently there were some more joints on Echo that were released in 98/99 but were really older cuts. Pretty sure that Echo label was pretty much a bootleg joint.

Thanks for this though, will peep tonight, looks great.

night_shade

Post by night_shade »

Very excited to check this. Thank you sir.
"...my ex girl's got balls." - Guru

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Good read. Look forward to listening to this. Thanks.

Verge

Post by Verge »

yo Claaa7, really good job on this one. Honestly, imo, the best compilation album you've done. Excellent.
:bow:

Mad Human

Post by Mad Human »

Thank You, it is an amazing comp.
YOUTUBE RARE INDIES - http://www.youtube.com/user/MadHuman09

CrimeFamily

Post by CrimeFamily »

Thanks man, sounds dope...

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Fucking awesome, thanks so much.

ral278

Post by ral278 »

:bow: !!!

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Verge wrote:I don't remember hearing the cuts off this one here:
Guess all tracks are from First Testament (http://freakshare.com/files/492x5suf/SoM-TFT.zip.html).

Verge

Post by Verge »

Kool Max Power wrote:
Verge wrote:I don't remember hearing the cuts off this one here:
Guess all tracks are from First Testament (http://freakshare.com/files/492x5suf/SoM-TFT.zip.html).
I listened to that a lot, should have known. Thanks.
:cheers:

nojiveturkey

Post by nojiveturkey »

yo thank you!
I dig the flaves

Requests
The Funk Farm - Pataphysical
The Funk Farm - The This Time Tape

stanR

Post by stanR »

props man - nice work as always.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Philaflava wrote::cheers:

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

it's great to see the response this is getting, always glad to be able to bring some dope shit to the ears of fellow golden era heads.
i too think this is a real great representation of Sunz of Man in the mid-'90s, when they first signed with the Wu and started getting that influence to their sound. i've since become aware of Prodigal Sunn interview where he stated that they never completed an album but they only recorded a lot of loose tracks, but it still makes for one sick album put together like this.. would love to hear better quality of some of the tracks but you take what you get.

did anyone notice that J-Love used the old track "Flame Throwerz" that's on here for his new album, adding a verse of his own. i need to check if this is his production.. he's been down with the Wu a long time though, even being shouted out on "Cuban Linx..."

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Did Shabaz get burnt by Lord Jamar, or was that Dead Prez? I know one of them had bad business dealings with him, or something like that.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^ maybe both, but i know that dead prez and Lord Jamar had some differences.. i read a recent interview with him and he said that he basically "found" dead prez and kinda managed them, and they started getting this big underground following before "Let's Get Free". he said that there was an album before "Let's Get Free" that was real crazy and that's what gained them this following, and i believe Jamar produced more on it, but he said that when they got signed to LOUD they started doing all this other type of records which he really didn't think fit them and so that's what happened. he said they had gotten past that now though and recently recorded again. i don't know what he meant about them doing weird records though, bc "Let's Get Free" sounds pretty damn uncompromised to me haha... the interview is at HipHopDx somewhere.

the songs Lord Jamar produced for Shabazz are fucking deadly too btw, "Street Parables" and all that

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

OK, thanks for that. Maybe it was both? In the Dead Prez These are the Times video, you can see Jamar and Sadat X so I always wondered when that track was made or if the video was filmed way after. I would love an instrumental of that.

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

holee fuk, thank you
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

STAM

Post by STAM »

SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!! how dope you are man ? im just lookin for compilation/early shit by Sunz Of Man and you upload tons of my favourite shit... anotha open door for me. :bow:

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

STAM wrote::bow:

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

claaa7 wrote:this is something i wrote and did for THE LOST TAPES. i don't know if you are aware that Sunz Of Man (Prodigal Sunn, Killah Priest, Hell Razah, 60 Sec Assassin; previously also Shabazz The Disciple and 7th Ambassador) actually recorded and completed an album to be released in 1996, called "Nothing New Under The Sun". it was very different from the '98 debut, much darker and grimier and a hell lot more Killah Priest verses.. it was after Shabazz and 7th Ambassador left though.

i've had the following compilation album on my harddrive and iPod for at least one year, and i absolutely loved it. i think this is actually very close to what it would have sounded, of course not exactly, but there are several (about half) that's been confirmed to have been on the album. the others were recorded around the same time which is evident bc this is after the "First Testament" joints so it's after Da Last Future dayz and before "Last Shall Be"... read my article below, and download the "album" for yourself. i strongly recommend you listening to this in its entirety. enjoy!
Even if you're only remotely into The Wu-Tang Clan and their many affilliates, the name Sunz Of Man should ring a bell. Not where they only one of the absolute first of the Killa Beez (not to mention best) to get the chance to release a few 12" singles of their own to test the waters. These proved Sunz was the breeding ground for some of the finest lyricists in rap's history, including Killah Priest, Hell Razah, Prodigal Sunn and the joker of the deck, 60 Second Assassin. They constantly made music that forced you to think and/or take a stance; each respective emcees style really clicked with the next and their ear for beats were always on point throughout the 1990s. The result was a four man crew (originally six, then five) that should have made a lot higher numbers than they did.

With their singles run between 1995 and 1996 that featured dark classics like "Soldiers Of Darkness" / "5 Arch Angels", and "No Love Without Hate", they separated themeselves from their peers through mixing the dark, rugged beats that you'll expect from murder music, but instead injectimg vast amounts of knowledge. Despite the underground popularity of those singles (some which even garnered a very small amount of MTV play), it wouldn't be until 1998 that Sunz Of Man's official debut LP landed on store shelves; "The Last Shall Be First". Featuring production by The RZA, True Master, 4th Disciple and Supreme, and cameos from Raekwon, U-God, ODB, Method Man, Wyclef and even Earth, Wind & Fire, the album was a great lisen, though it could be argued that it lacked the agressiveness and punch of those early aforementioned singles.

What many people don't know is that "The Last Shall Be First" is not the original Sunz Of Man debut; official? Yes. But actually first completed full-legnth LP? That's a no. Already when they dropped those first timeless singles, and had hooked up with The RZA and 4th Disciple, the four man group (Shabazz The Disciple lett during the initial recording sessions), Those who read The Source back in the mid-'90s might remember ads for a Sunz Of Man debut album called "Nothing New Under The Sun", featuring the previously released singles, and executive produced by The RZA. This was at the very height of The Wu-Tang's success, during releases of such timeless classics like "Return of the 36 Chambers", "Cuban Linx" and "Liquid Swords", and the only Killa Beez to strike a deal beside Shyheim The Rugged Child (who was somewhere in between a Wu-Tang affiliate and dito GP Wu at the time). RZA had started his own Wu-Tang Records imprint at this point, and Sunz Of Man's "Soldiers Of Darkness" was its first signee; meaning that "Nothign New..." would've been the first release on the label which was scheduled for 1996. I haven't heard much why the label ultimately decided to shelv it shortly after its completion, as it had much of the Wu-Tang sound they were known for at that time, and Priority Records wasn't exactly known to boycott hardcore hip-hop. Maybe it was the heavy knowledge that scared them off. After all, all major record labels strive to make sure that the population are kept dumb, deaf and blind, which is the exact reason that we see people like Cheef Keef and Lil' Boosie getting record deals and extreme promotion backings; but that's a whole other discussion for another day.

"Nothing New Under the Sun" has never been released or leaked in full, not even a tracklist has surfaced at this point. That however didn't stop me when I decided that we needed to hear at least some version of this lost classic. Through extensive research, a lot of time and thought, and the use of my ears to determine production- and vocal styles found on the extensive gang of tracks pre-"The Last..." that I had collected throughout the years. I was determined to put together a full-length "album" that I believe come as close as possible represent what we would have heard in 1996, had Sunz Of Man debuted with this instead. To my ears, these 18 tracks came out as an absolutely terrific set, resulting in that you might find the '98 retail album a little bleak in comparision the next time you give it a spin.

It should be noted that I've loved "The Last Shall..." since I first popped in the disc when it dropped, and still does. The earlier '95 sessions are many times a completely different animal altogether though; filled with moody and dark soundscapes, chaotic strings, haunting female vocals, off key piano lines all tied together by the rugged boom-bap drums. Together these elements create a fantastic canvas for the four emcees to paint vivid picture of ghetto struggles, 5% knowledge, living righteous, cinematic stories and so on. Something that will please Killah Priest fans is that he's heard on damn near every song here, as opposed to the official debut album where only dropped five verses in total. I believe the majority of these 18 tracks were recorded between 1993 and 1996, and is mainly produced by Supreme (Kourt) and 4th Disciple; with some additional input by Y-Kim, RZA, Allah Mathematics and possibly True Master.

Speaking on RZA, you'll notice that both "Can I See You?" and "Inmates to the Fire" appears here again, despite them being tracks on "The Last...". The reason being that those songs were recorded way back in '95, and although they had to re-record the verses when they found the original reels during the making of the official Red Ant album, they were in fact recorded and intended for "Nothing...". Below you'll find Hell Razah's own words on these particular two songs, from this great interview on "Last Shall Be First" :

"Inmates to the Fire - This was done at RZAs house, where we also did "Soldiers of Darkness." We had done this around the same time they were doing Rae's album. We had done another song called "As It Was Written" that didn't make the album. Those two songs were on the same reel. We couldnt find the beat because of everything RZA lost in the flood in the studio. It was through the will of God that we found it. We had to redo the vocals over and all sorts of crazy shit. Killah Priest was on the original song. He was recording "Heavy Mental" when we were recording some of these songs, so we couldnt get a hold of him.

"Can I See You - This is another vintage "Five Arch Angels" record from those days. RZA did this beat. It wasnt supposed to be on the album. 4th was in the studio and everyone thought he did that beat, but it was RZA actually. 4th came to the studio with Berretta 9 from Killarmy. He kicked his verse and Prodigal wanted him to get on the shit, so we threw Berretta 9 on there and did Sunz of Man/Killarmy collaboration. This song got such a response."

Just from this little excerpt, three songs are confirmed as having been recorded for the '96 LP (including the RZA produced "As It Was Written"). "Soldiers Of Darkness", "Five Arch Angels", "Bloody Choices" and "No Love Without Hate" were all singles released on Wu-Tang Recors in the mid-'90s, making it clear they were also from the album. "Mics Of Insanity" is the only Y-Kim/Sunz collabo ever released, so I have a strong feeling this was the song they did for the project."Wicked Ways" could have been for the album; it was at least recorded during the same sessions, considering it's a 4th Dissciple production and later in the year used for the compilation "One Million Strong". In fact most of the tracks here, I have noticed through my research that almost every song here have, in some capacity, been said to be songs from those recording sessions. And listening to it, there's really nothing that stick out in a bad way or sound out of place to me. Of course, the sequencing are all courtesy of me, to make it sound like an actual album rather than some thrown together songs, and from the eighteen songs included there are most definitely a vast amount of tracks that would not have appeared on the final release. With that being said, I think this is one of my best album-like compilations so far, and a must hear for any Sunz Of Man and mid-'90s Wu-Tang Clan fanatics, although it's f course not the exactly real actual album. There's also a bootleg/mixtape that's been circulating for some time, bearing the same title, but bearing little to no resemblance to the original album, unlike the download below. Grab it, enjoy and TURN IT THE FUCK UP!!!
01."As It Was Written" [prod. by The RZA]
02. "No Love Without Hate" [prod. by Supreme Kourt]
03. "Soldiers Of Darkness" (w/ Killarmy) [prod. by 4th Disciple & RZA]
04. "Love Of Money" [unknown producer]
05. "Can I See You?" [prod. by The RZA]
06. "Life" [unknown producer]
07. "Wicked Ways" [prod. by 4th Disciple]
08. ""Let's All Agree"
09. "Wicked Wayz" [prod. by 4th Disciple]
10. "Black Sleeping Beauty" [prod. by 4th Disciple]
11. "The Law" [prod. by Supreme Kourt]
12. "Embarassed" (Ft. Dreddy Kruger) [prod. by Allah Mathematics]
13. "Inmates to the Fire" [prod. by The RZA]
14. "Mics Of Insanity" [prod. by Y-Kim]
15. "Move Away"
16. "Signs Of The Times (Got Me Driiftin')" [prod. by 4th Disciple]
17. "Flame Throwerz (2 Be An Expert)" (Ft. Killa Sin & Timbo King)
18. "Five Arch Angels"

DOWNLOAD @ MEDIAFIRE
:cheers: Great shit C7 both the comp and write up are really dope.

mega montana

Post by mega montana »

great stuff, really awesome!! :bow: :wutang: