O.C. rhyme over this beat?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

thewool

O.C. rhyme over this beat?

Post by thewool »

been eating at me for days... did O.C. ever rhyme over this beat used by Shabazz? I'm sure I have it but the fuck can I find the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUapGDhi9bk

Also, anyone know what the sample is?

Cheers :cheers:

claaa7

Re: O.C. rhyme over this beat?

Post by claaa7 »

yeah it's one of the tracks on "Smoke N Mirrors" i believe, the same sample, but used in a quite different.. i'm not 100% but pretty damn close, can't remember the track title but it's definitely one from that album if it's in fact the same sample.
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

thewool

Post by thewool »

Cheers Claaa7.

I was also sure it was Smoke & Mirrors, but cannot locate it all. Have you got a copy to hand, can you do me a favour and you name the track?

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

just took a quick listen to "Smoke & Mirrors" to find it, this was the song i was thinking about but it's not as similiar at all as i remembered it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TctT2_EsSns

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

thewool

Post by thewool »

This wasn't the one I was thinking of but thanks anyway man :cheers:

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

nah it wasn't the one i was thinking about either i think, so it must be from something else than "Smoke & Mirrors", although i was almost 100% on that.. hmm, the mystery continues. let me know if you find out...

thewool

Post by thewool »

Found it!!

I had a real early verison of Smoke & Mirrors which was on my Ipod. Shit corrupted though... Dug out an old hard drive where I backed it up and there it was:

O.C - Smoke And Mirrors - 19 - Come On Down (R.I.P.) (Bonus Track)

Doesn't seem to be on the latest versions of the LP. Shame as that beat and verses are dope , here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?liy99mm3gxkh2zm

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Thanks, does anyone have the Pete Rock mix of a track called Childhood (I think?).
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

Shadowmaster: i only have a one minute snippet of the Pete Rock remix of "Childhood", though i have a complete P.R. remix of "1nce Again".. do you want me to upload these for you??

theWool: yesss!! i remember that track, i used to have it but lost it a long time ago, can't believe they choose to delete that from the actual album. i don't know which version it's on, it's not on my CD, it's not on any LP versions i've seen either.. probably only an advance or something. they should've included this rather than that HORRIBLE 10 minute outro with ColdWax just talking shit for the entire time. worst outro EVER!! Lol!

"Smoke & Mirrors" is actually a good album, sure there's a few clunkers but if you delete a few of the weaker tracks you'll find a lot of brilliant songs in there like "Gone", "Yhis is Me", etc... would you mind me using the "Come On Down" song for my blog?? of course giving all the props to you'? that would be great!

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Thanks man, I have the snippet somewhere, what's weird is I've never been able to track the full version down.

Does anyone know what release 'Underboss' was on? It may have been on an advance, but that track was excellent, what a shame it never seemed to come out officially. I'd love to get a CD or even vinyl of that. Instrumental would be great but unlikely I guess.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

thewool

Post by thewool »

Yeah of course claaa7, feel free to use it on your blog :cheers: I don't know what the sample is but I'm wondering if it never got clearance. I think the version of S&M I had was one of the first rips, maybe an advance. Looks like it never made it further than that.

I agree with what you're saying about the album in general. At the time man was I gutted with it, but now there's some really good stuff in there amongst the chaff. O.C.'s outros are normally tight, this fits in well at the end of the album.

Cheers for making me look further though, I had given up on finding the track even though I could hear it all day in my head.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

thanks bro!

yeah i'm pretty sure it was an advance so sample clearance might've been the reason.. if you look up the versions of the album on Discogs (which susually has about EVERYTHING), there is no "Come On Down" on none of them, but i remember reading old tracklists with this as a last song bonus hearing this on a digital version of "Smoke & Mirrors" years ago.

some interesting aspects of "Smoke & Mirrors", besides how personal and reflective were (and that's when O is at his best imo)., the Bronx producer Mike Loe did the whole album. he has created some absolutely superb beats throughout the years, but he's far from prolific so i thought it was kind of cool that O reached out to him to do the whole record... although i dou believe that he should have used Mike's best songs and filled up the holes with other producers work. for those that don't know Mike Loe worked on record with D.I. as far back as 1995, he produced the DITC posse cut ("Speak Ya Peace") and together with JEsse West he was responsible for the classic "Actual Facts", both from Finesse's last album. he also was the main producer for Ill Biskit's "Chronicles of Two Losers". more recently he laced CL and "Americsan Me".

another interesting bit of trivia, is that one of my absolute favorites, "Gone", was actually written and recorded for "Jewelz" over an Ogee beat. kinda makes you woner if that something he does a lot, to me that was mindblowing bc listening to "Gone" he really comes off as heartbroken, and you get the impression that he's justing through this now (in 2005). great artist for sure... correct that, the best artist (top ¤5I