16 amazing ALI SHAHEED MUHAMMAD productions

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

claaa7

16 amazing ALI SHAHEED MUHAMMAD productions

Post by claaa7 »

another day, another Lost Tapes compilation I like to share with my T.R.O.Y. brethren through a direct link to the mediafire file and the quoted article. every fan of A Tribe Called Quest are well aware of how Q-Tip says that he produced ALL of the three first ATCQ classics, besides the joints Skeff Anslem did, and on the two last he did all besides the stuff Dilla did and the Rashad Smith joint... i really don't believe this is the whole truth, probably pretty far from it. for one, if Ali Shaheed only handled the turntables and the cuts why would he be invited to join the production trio The Ummah with Jay Dee and The Abstract?? how come Ali got a lot of publishing and writing credits for songs credited to Tribe, both on their own albums and their outside productions. all the Fu-Schnickens joint that are credited to ATCQ only gives writing credit to Muhammad and not J. Davis so he was not involved in those, and stuff like the remixes he did for Ice Cube and BDP speaks volumes on what an incredibly talented and original producer he is. i believe he is probably the best R&B producer out of Tribe too.. the 16 songs i put together shows just how incredible he is, let me know what you think, and let's use this thread to share more of Ali's work.. i got some more stuff not included here so let me know if you need anything and i'll do the same. For starters, there's an early Greg Osby joint titled "Hardbody" i would love to get my hands on.... nuff talk, here's the article and i'll post the compilation and tracklist in the next post right away to make it a little less cluttered, enjoy my friends!!
There's absolutely no argument that A Tribe Called Quest with its huge impact on the hip-hop scene isn't one of the most influential and greatest hip-hop grops of all time. From the heavily jazz-influenced soundscapes, to the innovative turntble work, to the positive and often hilarious lyrical concepts; all three members contributed something unique to the table. All the elements came together to form like voltron and created one of the most unique musical styles the world has ever witnessed. The chemistry beween its two vocalists, Q-Tip and Phife Dawg still holds up as one of the ultimate tag teams of rap music, and 'Tip and Ali's unmistakable mixture of boom bap tinged jazz with its heavy low end and fequent use of the Rhodes pianio was certainly a new vibe that would inspire generations to come.

The production of the three first classics, before Jay Dee was added to the fold of The Ummah, has been somewhat controversial. The Abstract, beter known as Q-Tip, was responsible for much of the beats and arrangements; it's hard not to recognize his drum patterns and innovative use of jazz samples. 'Tip has many times stated that he was the sole producer of all Tribe's music (the stuff not hadled by DiLLA of course), which I personally believe is far from the whole truth. Many of the classics gives writing or co-writing credit to Ali Shaheed, including a song like "Crooklyn" that is generally thought to be a 'Tip production, when in fact they both collaborated on the beat as anyone in´possession of the actual single can attest to. Last, but definitely not least, if Shaheed was only contributing the scratches on those records he hardly would've gotten publishing and writing credits. The Ummah, which of coures consisted of Q-Tip, Ali and Jay Dee, was one hell of a power trio which is often overlooked as to what they each contributed to the music, as they all had quite different styles, yet were all clearly very influenced by eachother whcih gave the trio a coherrent sound. Ali was probably the most soulful, R&B fusing producer out of the three, easily being able to undercut a regular R&B jam with some vintage hip-hop aesthetics without ever coming off as forced. D'Angelo's "Brown Sugar" and Jon B's "Cool Relax"are both perfect examples of this.

Although he mainly produced under The Ummah or A Tribe Called Quest banner, we can not overlook the magnitude of the plenty of songs credited only to Ali Shaheed Muhammad (something you often have to read the actual credits to gain knowledge of); and that's where this compilation comes in. Kicking things off with Sha's masterful and energetic remix of Boogie Down Production's classic single "We In Here", which is a perfect example of Ali's style as he totally flips the original, giving it a totally new sound without losing any of the rawness of the original mix. This is followed up by another ceritifed hip-hop classic in the form of the first Crooklyn Dodgers joint (Masta Ace, Buckshot & Special Ed) that was released in '94 on the "Crooklyn" soundtrack (it should be noted that both Q-Tip and Mummad are credited for this one). Now, it wouldn't be right to at least include one Tribe joint, but as is usuaul with my compilations I won't add any album material. Instead I have opted with the Mr. Muahammad remix of "Check The Rime" which beauifully flips the sonic concepts of the OG. After the '94 cut "We Run Things" from Mr. Khalyl, Lee Stone and Y-Tee. Following that we're moving into the jazz and soul realm which the producer handles with excellence; a reinivsion of the Curtis Fuller classic "Five Spot After Dark", remixed for a jazz remix compilation from 2006. Another sick departure from the traditional hip-hop bangers to the jazz realm comes in the form of legendary sax-player Greg Osby's "Rise" and Shaheed's remix where he enlists a rare guest apperance by none other than CL Smooh. The heat simply don't stop and this is in fact one of my personal favorite compilations in quite some time... In fact, I like it so much that I went back and added 320 kbps rip of many of the songs to add to our listening experience. TURN IT UP!!!
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

claaa7

Re: 16 amazing ALI SHAHEED MUHAMMAD productions

Post by claaa7 »

01. Boogie Down Productions - "We In There" [A Tribe Called Quest Remix]
02. Crooklyn Dodgers - "Crooklyn'"
03. A Tribe Called Quest - "Check The Remix" [Mr. Muahmmad's Remix]
04. Da Bush Babees - "We Run Things (It's Like That)"
05. Curtis Fuller - "Five Spot After Dark" [Remix]
06. D'Angelo - "Brown Sugar"
07. Fu-Schnickens - "La Smoove" (Ft. Phife Dawg)
08. Ice Cube - "What Can I Do?" [Eastside Remix]
09.Scriti Politti / Mos Def - "Tingseltown to Boogiedown" [Shaheed Variation]
10, Gil Scott Heron - "Don't Give Up"
11. Mos Def - "Got"
12. Shaquille O'Neal / Phife Dawg - "Where Ya At?"
13. Greg Osby / CL Smooth - "Raise" [Shaheed Remix]
14. Shola Ama - "Lovely Affair"
15. Jon B. - "Cool Relax" [Ummah Remix] (Ft. GURU)
16. Fu-Schnickens - "True Fuschnicks" [Shaheed's Fix]

ALI SHAHEED MUHAMMAD - "IN THE SHADOWS"

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

Great, thanks!

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

claaa7 wrote:02. Crooklyn Dodgers - "Crooklyn"
Wow, I know a lot of shit, but I always thought Tip produced that. Crazy!!

But yo, great fuckin post!!

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

Nice work as always Claaa7.

A while ago when you posted your Brand Nu Brothers (Grand Puba and Sadat X) compilation, you were looking for the K-Def mix of the Kym Rae track 'Ease Back' (w/ Puba and Sadat). Do you still need that? I finally got the record.

Thun

Post by Thun »

"Crooklyn" is attributed to A Tribe Called Quest, but we all know that means Q-Tip. What made you assume it was Ali?

Thun

Post by Thun »

In any event, the "Check The Rhime" remix has aged very nicely and I prefer it to the extremely played out original now.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Thun wrote:"Crooklyn" is attributed to A Tribe Called Quest, but we all know that means Q-Tip. What made you assume it was Ali?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, this thread... the 2nd post by claaa7 with that In The Shadows compilation album he posted. Was I wrong to assume that compilation or mixtape was NOT productions by Ali Shaheed???

Thun wrote:In any event, the "Check The Rhime" remix has aged very nicely and I prefer it to the extremely played out original now.
I've always liked the "Mr. Muhammad's Mix" better... and yeah, the original is played out, as are a lot of similar joints from that time.

fortuna

Post by fortuna »

Lovin it, especially Curtis Fuller classic "Five Spot After Dark"

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

Thun wrote:"Crooklyn" is attributed to A Tribe Called Quest, but we all know that means Q-Tip. What made you assume it was Ali?
Co-produced by Ali as he gets writing credits on the record.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

Debonair_P wrote:Nice work as always Claaa7.

A while ago when you posted your Brand Nu Brothers (Grand Puba and Sadat X) compilation, you were looking for the K-Def mix of the Kym Rae track 'Ease Back' (w/ Puba and Sadat). Do you still need that? I finally got the record.
actually i think i have every version of that song EXCEPT the K-Def remix which of course is one of my favorite producers, so that would be crazily appreciated if you could help me out with that! thanks in advance brother.
just like with a production credited to Ummah the song could've been produced by either Tip, Ali or Jay Dee. the same goes for Tribe, i remember reading an old interview with ATCQ around the time of "Midnight Mauraders" and the interviewer asked what they used when producing as he assumed that all of them were producers bc of the fact that their all production was credited as a group. Phife's answer was "Pad & Pen" as he went on to say that he left the production to Q-Tip and Ali... when they were all there, there was none of that "i produced it all from 'Tip"; both him and Ali talked about how they produced the records; certain records were solely Q-Tip, yes, but Ali had A LOT of input on songs like "Stressed Out", ""The Pressure", "Motivators", "Same Ol' Thinng", much of "Midnight Mauraders", etc.

anyone who have "Crooklyn" (the single, the soundtrack or the movie and checks the end credits) you clearly says that the song was produced by Q-Tip and Shaheed as it's credited to J. Davis, and A. Muhammad besides the emcees. and no, "produced by ATCQ" doesn't necessarily mean that it was produced by Q-Tip... a few tracks credited to ATCQ that was solely produced by Ali Shaheed are - "La Schmoove", "Heavely Father", and ""True Fuschnick" by Fu-Schnickens... and then you got the co-prouction on the aofrementioned "Crooklyn"... see it like this, if Ali only was a DJ and Q-Tip was both the soud wizard and main emcee of the group, why the hell would he want Ali in The Ummah?? tracks like "You Used to Love Me" (Faith Evas) and Jon B's ""Cool Relax" are Ummah songs produced by Ali Shaheed. Dilla also said that for the "Got Til It's Gone" beat that was somethig that he, Ali and Tip had worked on together as a unit, so the "fact" that it's a Dilla beat pure and simple is only one third of the true.. Q-Tip of course denied that they had anything to do with that beat, probably because he didn't want to piss off the record label and try to come off better than Jerry Jam an Terry Lewis. but it's like Dilla said: "Jerry Jam & Terry Lewis could have done that beat, of course they could, they are legends, but it doens't sound one bit like their stytle, it sounds like The Ummah's style".. the first time i heard it on MTV, i was pretty sure that The Ummah was behind it. why would they release a "Ummah Jay Dee's Revenge Remix".

i don't know why Q-Tip want all the credit, but i'm positive the Tribe albums would have sounded completely different if the group was just Tip and Phife, and Dilla helped them out on the last two albums. i mean Tribe aren't even that heavy on the turntablism, but not to take away anything from Tip (one of my favorite producers and a great emcee), but he seems to be a shady character in some aspects like that. that's what i wanted to prove with this compilation, Ali Shaheed is a very talented producer in his own right and i might even make a part 2 if people would be interested...that would consist mostly of his work with Young MC as well as a lot of R&B work.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

some further trivia that may or not be true.. for the first album "People's Instinctive Travels", Mista Lawgne of Black Sheep did some uncredited work according to Dres who was around a lot during the sessions. no word on what the songs was and i can't find the damn interview right now, i was sure it was for Unkut.com but can't find a Dres interview there. i'll try to find it, but you'll have to take my word for it.

another interesting thing was a podcast with Large Professor that was posted here a while back where Large Professor said that the engineers (Bob Power and Dr. Shane Faber) really produced those records as far as being the hands on (i know that's hardly the only aspect of producing), but he said it was first with "Midnight" that Q-Tip and Ali reallty started doing everthing themeselves. i've always taken with several spoons of salt though, all the ideas for "Low End Theory" was definitely the group, the first one was influenced by Dr. Shane Faber, Mista Lawgne and the Jungle Brothers (who are even credite as such).

also as a dope companion piece to the Ali tape, check out the Q-Tip production tape.. it's missing a lot of essential stuff, but it's meant to be simply part 1 of at least two volumes.. makes for a dope listen and really shows the differences in both of his and Ali's respective styles:

http://claaa7.blogspot.se/2011/07/q-tip ... ks-v1.html

(the link has been deleted but i'm re-upping it now, so it should work in the next 10 miinutes or so).

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Not knowing who produced what drives me crazy, but I'm convinced that "Crooklyn" belongs to Q-Tip based on other fantastic post-Marauders/pre-1996 era beats that he produced:

Tiger - Who Planned It
Mobb Deep - Give Up The Goods
Mobb Deep - Drink Away The Pain
Mobb Deep - Temperature's Rising
Mobb Deep - Temperature's Rising (Remix)
Craig Mack - Get Down (Remix)

The sound just fits.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^ Roy Johnson: yes, "Crooklyn" is definitely a Q-Tip production, no argument about that.. but the fact is that it's a collaboration between Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed Muhammad on the production, although it's likely Tip initiated the beat. the credit clearly states that both Joan Davis and Ali Shaheed Muhammad were writers of the record, meaning that Ali at least did enough of the production to warrant a writing credit.

take for instance "Gangsta Bitch" by Apache, which is credite to A Tribe Called Quest but the writing credits clearly states that the writer is J. Davis (Q-Tip), so Ali was not at all involved in that one.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Roy Johnson wrote:Not knowing who produced what drives me crazy, but I'm convinced that "Crooklyn" belongs to Q-Tip based on other fantastic post-Marauders/pre-1996 era beats that he produced:

Tiger - Who Planned It
Mobb Deep - Give Up The Goods
Mobb Deep - Drink Away The Pain
Mobb Deep - Temperature's Rising
Mobb Deep - Temperature's Rising (Remix)
Craig Mack - Get Down (Remix)

The sound just fits.
agreed. Thanks for the comp. But I agree Crooklyn nsound 100% Q-Tip.

uniqueterror

Here's a question that no one has been able to answer for me

Post by uniqueterror »

Do you know who Beetle is? He got co-production credit on the "We in There" remix (Remixed by Ali Shaheed Mohammed and Beetle for A Tribe Called Quest Inc.), as well as all of the Ali Shaheed-produced songs from Young MC's 1993 What's the Flavor? album. Other than those two releases, I haven't heard anything else.

Thun

Post by Thun »

claaa7 wrote:

actually i think i have every version of that song EXCEPT the K-Def remix which of course is one of my favorite producers, so that would be crazily appreciated if you could help me out with that! thanks in advance brother.
just like with a production credited to Ummah the song could've been produced by either Tip, Ali or Jay Dee. the same goes for Tribe, i remember reading an old interview with ATCQ around the time of "Midnight Mauraders" and the interviewer asked what they used when producing as he assumed that all of them were producers bc of the fact that their all production was credited as a group. Phife's answer was "Pad & Pen" as he went on to say that he left the production to Q-Tip and Ali... when they were all there, there was none of that "i produced it all from 'Tip"; both him and Ali talked about how they produced the records; certain records were solely Q-Tip, yes, but Ali had A LOT of input on songs like "Stressed Out", ""The Pressure", "Motivators", "Same Ol' Thinng", much of "Midnight Mauraders", etc.

anyone who have "Crooklyn" (the single, the soundtrack or the movie and checks the end credits) you clearly says that the song was produced by Q-Tip and Shaheed as it's credited to J. Davis, and A. Muhammad besides the emcees. and no, "produced by ATCQ" doesn't necessarily mean that it was produced by Q-Tip... a few tracks credited to ATCQ that was solely produced by Ali Shaheed are - "La Schmoove", "Heavely Father", and ""True Fuschnick" by Fu-Schnickens... and then you got the co-prouction on the aofrementioned "Crooklyn"... see it like this, if Ali only was a DJ and Q-Tip was both the soud wizard and main emcee of the group, why the hell would he want Ali in The Ummah?? tracks like "You Used to Love Me" (Faith Evas) and Jon B's ""Cool Relax" are Ummah songs produced by Ali Shaheed. Dilla also said that for the "Got Til It's Gone" beat that was somethig that he, Ali and Tip had worked on together as a unit, so the "fact" that it's a Dilla beat pure and simple is only one third of the true.. Q-Tip of course denied that they had anything to do with that beat, probably because he didn't want to piss off the record label and try to come off better than Jerry Jam an Terry Lewis. but it's like Dilla said: "Jerry Jam & Terry Lewis could have done that beat, of course they could, they are legends, but it doens't sound one bit like their stytle, it sounds like The Ummah's style".. the first time i heard it on MTV, i was pretty sure that The Ummah was behind it. why would they release a "Ummah Jay Dee's Revenge Remix".

i don't know why Q-Tip want all the credit, but i'm positive the Tribe albums would have sounded completely different if the group was just Tip and Phife, and Dilla helped them out on the last two albums. i mean Tribe aren't even that heavy on the turntablism, but not to take away anything from Tip (one of my favorite producers and a great emcee), but he seems to be a shady character in some aspects like that. that's what i wanted to prove with this compilation, Ali Shaheed is a very talented producer in his own right and i might even make a part 2 if people would be interested...that would consist mostly of his work with Young MC as well as a lot of R&B work.
Nah. Q-Tip did it all. Ali's solo work pales.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Wasn't there at least a couple of articles in magazines years ago where Tip broke down the making of 'Crooklyn', in that he put the beat together somewhere and recorded the verses (not sure about that part), originally not in a studio? It was at someone's home I thought. I don't think he ever mentioned anyone else working on the beat at that time, although I guess they could have finished it off together or added something.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^ shadowmaster: thanks for the info, but that's pretty much the same story that Tip gives for every A Tribe Called Quest beat in history, at least in later interviews.. i'm too lazy to look up the interviews, but it's well known that according to himself he produced 99% of Tribe's three first albums, and Tribe didn't even have that much turntablism in their music which wouldd redduce Ali to just slightly more improtant than Jarobi as he could leave the group and it would sound the exact same. it's interesting that in their 1993 HHC article it was quite clearly stated that Ali and Q-Tip produced much together. and some were all Ali, and some were all Q-Tip, with slight input by the other in the final stages.

i stand by "Crooklyn" being an Ali co-production, but whatever the case The Ummah and A Tribe Called Quest was some of the illest production groups ever heard. but enough about "Crooklyn" now, lets build about Ali's other work inclued here. as mentioned above, the Curtis Fuller joint is unreal!! if yu ever get your hands on that "Re-Bop; The Savoy Remixes" from 2006, pick it up, pick it up, pick it up!! it's kinda similiar to "Shades of Blue" by Madlib in a way, but here jazz label Savoy (as opposed to Blue Note) gave a bunch of prolific hip-hop and alternative DJ:s the permission to go into the labels origial master tapes. besides Ali's mindblowing reinvisioning of "Five After Dark", there's equally hot stuff by Diamond D, Large Professor, DJ Smash, King Britt, DJ Spooky and more. there's a few joints that's not all that but still well worth owning if you're a fan of jazz and hip-hop.

i think the Shaheed remixes of the BDP and Ice Cube * tracks are prolly the best examples of Ali's straight hardcore hip-hop all on his own (unlike for example "Crooklyn). he seems to prefer the more laid-back, soul/R&B stuff though, which is cool though.. that Jon B remix with GURU is top notch and i really liked much of the Lucy Pearl album

* BTW, if anyone have the Ice Cube "What Can I Do" [East Coast Remx] in a higher bitrate than 128 kbps, PLEASE do me a favor and hook it up.. preferrably 256 or 320 but 192 or a VBR works fine too.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

claaa7 wrote:but enough about "Crooklyn" now

Sorry, I meant to post this yesterday after I made that post but I forgot. One of the interviews was with someone else, it wasn't Tip and they mentioned him hooking the beat up at somebody's house / apartment and they went to work right there. I just wish I could remember who the interview was with.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^ no no, i didn't mean that to you specifically Shadowmaster, i actually thought that was a very interesting post, and if you come across any of those articles i would love to read about that. just meant in general, that the whole thread seems to have been focused on whether "Crooklyn" is Q-Tip only, or Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed... classic stuff however it might be :)

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

claaa7 wrote:Image
01. Boogie Down Productions - "We In There" [A Tribe Called Quest Remix]
02. Crooklyn Dodgers - "Crooklyn'"
03. A Tribe Called Quest - "Check The Remix" [Mr. Muahmmad's Remix]
04. Da Bush Babees - "We Run Things (It's Like That)"
05. Curtis Fuller - "Five Spot After Dark" [Remix]
06. D'Angelo - "Brown Sugar"
07. Fu-Schnickens - "La Smoove" (Ft. Phife Dawg)
08. Ice Cube - "What Can I Do?" [Eastside Remix]
09.Scriti Politti / Mos Def - "Tingseltown to Boogiedown" [Shaheed Variation]
10, Gil Scott Heron - "Don't Give Up"
11. Mos Def - "Got"
12. Shaquille O'Neal / Phife Dawg - "Where Ya At?"
13. Greg Osby / CL Smooth - "Raise" [Shaheed Remix]
14. Shola Ama - "Lovely Affair"
15. Jon B. - "Cool Relax" [Ummah Remix] (Ft. GURU)
16. Fu-Schnickens - "True Fuschnicks" [Shaheed's Fix]

ALI SHAHEED MUHAMMAD - "IN THE SHADOWS"
Ahhh the link finally :lol: thanks C7 :cheers:

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

claaa7 wrote:

Please post up that K-Def remix D.P. :cheers:

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

claaa7 wrote:* BTW, if anyone have the Ice Cube "What Can I Do" [East Coast Remx] in a higher bitrate than 128 kbps, PLEASE do me a favor and hook it up.. preferrably 256 or 320 but 192 or a VBR works fine too.
I can do that for you no problem. You have two options... I could upload that song from the BOOTLEGS & B-SIDES CD I have or you could get a nice & clean vinyl rip as I have the promo only clear vinyl copy. And if you want the vinyl version, do you also want the instrumental? Let me know and I can probably do that for you tonight or tomorrow.

Verge

Post by Verge »

i knew i posted that Ice Cube record a while ago in 320, here ya go:

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/?zt5af889332spbp

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

claaa7 wrote:^ shadowmaster: thanks for the info, but that's pretty much the same story that Tip gives for every A Tribe Called Quest beat in history, at least in later interviews.. i'm too lazy to look up the interviews, but it's well known that according to himself he produced 99% of Tribe's three first albums, and Tribe didn't even have that much turntablism in their music which wouldd redduce Ali to just slightly more improtant than Jarobi as he could leave the group and it would sound the exact same. it's interesting that in their 1993 HHC article it was quite clearly stated that Ali and Q-Tip produced much together. and some were all Ali, and some were all Q-Tip, with slight input by the other in the final stages.

i stand by "Crooklyn" being an Ali co-production, but whatever the case The Ummah and A Tribe Called Quest was some of the illest production groups ever heard. but enough about "Crooklyn" now, lets build about Ali's other work inclued here. as mentioned above, the Curtis Fuller joint is unreal!! if yu ever get your hands on that "Re-Bop; The Savoy Remixes" from 2006, pick it up, pick it up, pick it up!! it's kinda similiar to "Shades of Blue" by Madlib in a way, but here jazz label Savoy (as opposed to Blue Note) gave a bunch of prolific hip-hop and alternative DJ:s the permission to go into the labels origial master tapes. besides Ali's mindblowing reinvisioning of "Five After Dark", there's equally hot stuff by Diamond D, Large Professor, DJ Smash, King Britt, DJ Spooky and more. there's a few joints that's not all that but still well worth owning if you're a fan of jazz and hip-hop.

i think the Shaheed remixes of the BDP and Ice Cube * tracks are prolly the best examples of Ali's straight hardcore hip-hop all on his own (unlike for example "Crooklyn). he seems to prefer the more laid-back, soul/R&B stuff though, which is cool though.. that Jon B remix with GURU is top notch and i really liked much of the Lucy Pearl album

* BTW, if anyone have the Ice Cube "What Can I Do" [East Coast Remx] in a higher bitrate than 128 kbps, PLEASE do me a favor and hook it up.. preferrably 256 or 320 but 192 or a VBR works fine too.

Code: Select all

http://www.sharebeast.com/bykxo67qq9pa

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

many thanks to Wicked, Verge and Jaz.. super appreciated guys!!!

Wicked, no need for the instrumental unless someone else in here are looking for it?? thx for the offer though!

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

The CDQ version is edited though :(