vintage rap posters

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

vintage rap posters

Post by Philaflava »

I'm looking for an original ATCQ poster, preferably of either LET or MM.

Does anyone know of a place that may have these? I've checked eBAY and nothing.

Echo Leader

Re: vintage rap posters

Post by Echo Leader »

I'm sure Mindbender has one, and I'm sure he would sell it to you for real cash moneys, or a spot on the next Philaflava posse cut.

:lock:

Verge

Post by Verge »

yeah i been keeping an eye out on ebay for any old dope rap posters for awhile but haven't seen all too many around. Seen a couple of Public Enemy ones a few months ago and I bought a MIC poster and a black and white and silver DOOM (from MM Food era) poster each for like a dollar from fifthelement website.

I hope you still got that Big L plaque Gloss, that shits ill.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yeah still got the plaques. Redoing the man cave and thought about picking up one more item.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

You can't get it. There's one version of the LET theory that was a post and very large. Almost three feet by 4 feet. It's only shown up on ebay twice in the last few years. I haven't seen one for almost two years and the last time it went for quite a bit of money.

If anyone does know somewhere else I'd like to know. I've been keeping an eye out for the let one for years. It's very rare.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The MM album cover would sell like hot cakes if somebody pressed it.

Verge

Post by Verge »

yeah thats a good idea. pretty much anything with the red black green design or with the character id be happy with.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i was thinking more because of the face collage. a friend of mind had a midnight marauders poster and i would pay a mint to have that today.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

There's tons of sites on the internet that make posters if you upload a picture. I'd love somebody to be the guinea pig and give it a shot. If you have a high quality scan of an album cover I'd like to see how it turns out.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

if there is a high quality image of that cover i'll give it a shot.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Over at the DWG forums, Drew Huge (of Fat Lace and Hip Hop Connection fame) often sells original, vintage Hip Hop posters. Worth giving him a nudge and seeing if he has any Tribe prints.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

bbatson1 wrote:There's tons of sites on the internet that make posters if you upload a picture. I'd love somebody to be the guinea pig and give it a shot. If you have a high quality scan of an album cover I'd like to see how it turns out.
I don't think the resolution of an album cover scan would ever be good enough for a poster that size.

JIVE is now what, RCA/BMG correct? I doubt they would give a shit about any request regarding old promo stuff. That's what I loved about those older labels, if you ever sent them mail they would send you a grip of shit back.

gallax

Post by gallax »

Speaking of which: I've been looking for ages for a promo poster of Dare iz a Darkside.
Only thing I can find on the net is this link:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/r ... omo-poster

If anyone knows where to get it: let me know....

vancitysfinest

Post by vancitysfinest »

Would love to know if there is any hook-up for these as well. I've been looking for a bit myself. Ebay has a couple that I like, including the Redman one, but aside from that it's slim pickens on the internets. There are a few I would pay an arm and a leg for.

vancitysfinest

Post by vancitysfinest »

Philaflava wrote:i was thinking more because of the face collage. a friend of mind had a midnight marauders poster and i would pay a mint to have that today.
Is the MM poster of the album cover?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

it was a poster of every face on cover and booklet.

bignormy

Post by bignormy »

I used to tear ads out of the source and put em on the wall. I have a big RasASSination poster which is kind of embarrassing. They're all just waiting for a mancave / music room but houses don't have enough rooms...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

word to that. i still have a shit load of pretty toney posters. even some dj jazzy jeff ones autographed. you think they're worth anything? lol. its not like i need more than one.

willybuck

Post by willybuck »

I've seen a couple Tribe posters pop up on ebay in the past. There was a LET poster that was tattered and still went for like $80+

I have some posters rolled up, original, no reissues:

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) [huge]
Young D Boyz - Straight Game [24x36] (non-album cover version, horizontal)
Mac Mall - Illegal Business? [18x24]
Ice Cube - Kill At Will [24x36]
Raekwon - OB4CL [24x36] (non-album cover version, horizontal)
C-Bo - Survival In The Gardens [18x24] (this picture, but using a limited color palette of white/grey/green)
MF Doom - Operation: Doomsday [24x36]
Cormega - True Meaning [??x??]
Baldhead Rick & S.B. - Underground Nation Livin' Violently [18x24] (fold creases)
Ghostface Killah - Ironman [24x36]

Andyman187

Post by Andyman187 »

I've been grabbing a lot of promo rap posters off EBay the last couple of years and they were all basically from the same guy who used to run or work at a music store in Houston Texas. He always had some really rare posters and stickers and steadily kept posting auctions a couple times each month with his last one being a few months ago so I assume he has gotten rid of everything now....

Here were a few of the raers I remember off hand;

ATCQ - People Instinctive Travels
ATCQ - Midnight Marauders
Alkaholiks - 21 & Over
Brand Nubian - All For One
Lord Finesse - Funky Technician
Gang Starr - Step In The Arena
Group Home - Livin' Proof
Heltah Skeltah - Nocturnal
+ a bunch more that I forget. Most went for $70-100+

There was always this one guy who was dropping serious loot every auction, bidding up the price on every poster so I had to make that fuck pay, most of the time over $100 per poster... I also think it was that same dude who bought Nas - Illmatic and ATCQ - Midnight Marauders for close to $200 each off another seller a while back!

Promo Rap Posters are definitely getting harder and harder to come by nowadays tho...

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

^Was it the Illmatic cover? I've always asked about that one over the years. I've never seen one or found out if there was a full sized album cover poster. I'd love that.

I found a picture of my room for the mid 90's that had a full size Liquid Swordz album cover poster. I'd love to have that now but can't find it.

There was also a HUGE HUGE version of The Great Adventures of Slick Rick cover. If I remember correctly the Low End Theory was also very big. Above the normal 24x36