Visual Samplings: Hip Hop Re-Creation Photos

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

TheBigSleep

Visual Samplings: Hip Hop Re-Creation Photos

Post by TheBigSleep »

This goes beyond the scope of T.R.O.Y. but feels like more of a T.R.O.Y. thread. I was originally gonna post all these images in this thread but then the project got too large for that to really happen. So I made a blog, dedicated to archiving all visual homages, lampoons, parodies, pastiches, remakes, rip-offs, send-ups, spoofs and take-offs within the realm of rap culture.

http://visualsamplings.blogspot.com/

Whether the original source is music (hip hop or not), comedy, logos, print media, artwork, films or TV shows…whatever it’s based on, depicting, inspired by or referencing, if tributes are being paid, I'm showcasing it. Some may be coincidence, it's difficult to know for sure a lot of the time.

Please submit others to help add on (no Hustle Crowe), credit will be given.

As far as I know and correct me if I'm wrong, this is the first hip hop parody cover:

Joe Bataan – Rap-O Clap-O 12” (1980)
Danny Boy – Repper De Klep 12” (1980)

And NaS' Illmatic, Run-D.M.C.'s King of Rock and A Tribe Called Quest's Midnight Marauders are three of the most common / popular ones to pay tribute to overall.

Verge

Re: Visual Samplings: Hip Hop Re-Creation Photos

Post by Verge »

awesome blog, just spent like 15 minutes looking through. Nice connections on those massive attack -Mezzanine inspirations.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

yeah great work, loved flicking through all that...
TheBigSleep wrote:
Please submit others to help add on (no Hustle Crowe), credit will be given.
couple I thought of while browsing, that might fit categories in there already...

also the 2nd volume of Nastradoomus is a slightly different image to vol.1, and is a take on 'I Am...'

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Some Blue Note inspired covers I can't place and may just be in the generic Blue Note style:

Chuck D – Autobiography of Mistachuck LP
Lord Finesse – Diggin' On Blue Mixtape
The Nonce – Mix Tapes / Keep It On Single
The Pharcyde – Passin' Me By Single
A Tribe Called Quest – Jazz (We've Got) / Buggin' Out Single

If anybody knows if any of those reference a particular cover, post it up.

I think I'm missing others that take from Ghostbusters, more from The Godfather and some that are based on old hip hop flyers, to name a few potential sources.

I'm not including stuff like Afrika Bambaataa's Renegades of Funk and Del's No Need For Alarm covers, as they are just general Marvel Comics designs but don't actually pay tribute to a specific issue or logo.

And thanks guys, figured it was something that hadn't really been done yet that I wanted to see. We're nearing two hundred original sources already at this point.

vaporized, I added those and credited you for each of 'em, props for that.

I know there's more out there, so if anybody else has any other ideas, lemme know.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Yo man, this is awesome. GREAT idea for a blog, keep doing your thing...I have an addition for the King of Rock-inspired covers, it's Roach Gigz & Lil 4-Tay's Bitch I Go Volume 1 tape:

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Nice work, the new blog looks like something I'll definitely enjoy along with other people. As some advice, I would make the images about 60-70% larger in the posts so they are more of the focus. Here are a few cover tributes I just thought of by albums I like

Stu Bangas and Vanderslice are heavily inspired by Library music especially from the Bruton label. They've got a gutter sound that is a good addition to today's Hip Hop.

http://brutalmusic.bandcamp.com/album/b ... ic-singles
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

I see you found those Foreign Exchange and Beatnuts covers, here's a couple I didn't see at the blog:

Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Love that Sylk Smoove album. Got put on to it via one of J-Zone's Chief Chinchilla podcasts.

Architek

Post by Architek »

Look man, the blog is ultra amazing but if it's solely done from memory then i'm officially spooked.

some additions to the Big Bambu series:

and

not sure if they're both referring to something else though
Last edited by Architek on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Can't see the picture above the RA single, but the latter is definitely a homage to this:

CLASSIC.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

there might be a more accurate Indiana Jones image out there. that's the most similar one I could find

Architek

Post by Architek »

Echo Leader wrote:Can't see the picture above the RA single, but the latter is definitely a homage to this:

CLASSIC.
Bingo. I totally forgot "Delicatessen" is a french film and, if i'm not mistaken, the other side of the Atlantic is not much into foreign stuff unless they're dubbed or something.
Also lol at the "Wild Bitch" cover. So obvious yet never thought of it.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

fatboybrandon wrote:As some advice, I would make the images about 60-70% larger in the posts so they are more of the focus.
Yeah, I knew someone was gonna say that. That's not gonna happen though. That would require a lot of work as they aren't saved larger and I'm not gonna go back through everything, it'd take forever. Plus the pictures would load slower, Blogger forces them smaller regardless and a lot of the more rare ones aren't available in higher resolution anyway. It's more just to show people what there is out there. If anybody wants to look up larger versions, I put the names with 'em so they know what to look for on Google Image search or whatever.

Echo, credited you for the Roach Gigz & Lil 4-Tay.

fatboy, credited you for the Brutal Music and the Vibe cover. (The Sylk Smoov was already there, as was the Mac Vo, both based on the Curtis Mayfield cover.)

Architek and Echo, credited you both for the Rugged Man. (Architek, I omitted the Big Bambu tributes as those are all reggae songs, not hip hop.)

vaporized, credited you for the Mac Mall.

Thanks again everybody. Also added:

J Dilla Portrait (2002)
Ta-Ku – 50 Days For Dilla Vol. 2 Mixtape (2012)

(Props to Rosco Brown at Who Sampled.)

Architek

Post by Architek »

Sorry i didn't get this is only about hip-hop related releases.

A hardly recognizable example you'd probably find to be eligible since you've used Van Gogh's paintings and such,
DJ Vadim & DJ Primecuts ‎– Architects Of The Great (mixtape) artwork: extensive use of Frank Gehry's first floor plan for the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao
This mixtape is also true to its title, excellent structure.

Image Image
http://www.djfood.org/djfood/wp-content ... utside.jpg
http://www.djfood.org/djfood/wp-content ... inside.jpg

http://eliinbar.files.wordpress.com/201 ... =450&h=393

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

GoodFellas (1990)

G'Fellas - Crime Stories (1999)

you can find more here (not just hip-hop): http://www.whosampled.com/forum/topic/1 ... ../?page=1

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

not really my find, but I randomly came across this earlier. seems to be some connection between Madvillainy and the first Madonna album

http://www.egotripland.com/album-cover- ... jeff-jank/
the first Madonna album cover, just her in black and white – it said “MADONNA” and the “O” was orange. I saw the two pictures side by side and laughed at it like it was some rap version of Beauty & the Beast. So I put a little piece of orange up in the corner, partly because it needed something distinctive, and partly to match the color with Madonna.
Image Image

then someone in the comments on that link mentions the back cover on Madonna, and the cover to Madvillain All Caps/Curls

Image Image

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Yeah, I've read that...very cool story.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

This wasn't hard since since I'm a horror and sci-fi fan..

RZA inspired by the Fred Kruger finger-knives of A Nightmare On Elm Street

One of DJ Scratch's most famous routines inspired by Friday The 13th

Da Lench Mob's Guerilla's In Da Mist video inspired by The Predator

Thun

Post by Thun »

Cool idea. Although in a way it's kinda sad how shitty the vast majority of theses reduxes are. Than again, it makes me appreciate the originals a lot more.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Architek wrote:Sorry I didn't get this is only about hip hop related releases.
Yeah I mentioned it briefly in the original post. If I opened this up to all music I would've had to post like two hundred album covers for The Beatles' Abbey Road alone. The source can be just about anything that can be depicted in a photo and as you noted, art is already in there so that's a perfect example of what I'm looking for for this.

Architek, credited you for DJ Vadim & DJ Primecut. (Also, username / post combo.)

Big Boss, credited you for the G'Fellas. (Also, I think we already have everything hip hop related that's been posted at Who Sampled thus far and then some.)

vaporized, credited you for the Madvillain covers. (Like Echo, I had also read that but had forgotten about it. As long as people submit it here or on the blog, I don't care if you guys thought of it yourself or got it somewhere else, as long as you're contributing.)

fatboy, still working on adding the RZA and DJ Scratch ones but I'll credit you once they go up. (Not sure if I'm gonna start adding music videos into the mix as this was originally just for still images and that opens up a whole new can of worms so I don't know if / how I'd incorporate that into the blog. I do like the idea and had it myself as well, so feel free to keep adding those to this thread at least and I may put them in later.)
Thun wrote:Cool idea. Although in a way it's kinda sad how shitty the vast majority of theses reduxes are. Then again, it makes me appreciate the originals a lot more.
Thanks Thun. I kinda feel the same way. I actually thought about restricting these to artists and / or images that I personally enjoy but figured why limit myself.

Also added:

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Stress Magazine – Issue 18 (1999)
Cee-Lo & DJ Danger Mouse Portrait (2006)
Camobear Records – Camobear Orange DVD (2007)
DJ Drama & OJ Da Juiceman – Orange Mixtape (2010)
Kottonmouth Kings – Long Live the Kings LP (2010)

http://visualsamplings.blogspot.com/201 ... azine.html

and

Adventure Time (2010)
Supa Sortahuman – Adventure Time Mixtape (2013)

http://visualsamplings.blogspot.com/201 ... _9217.html

Plus added Jamaal Davis & Dijon Samon – ?whats tha ticket Single (2013) to the Simpson covers:

http://visualsamplings.blogspot.com/201 ... igher.html

Thanks as always everybody, keep postin' up more and I'll keep crediting you guys.

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Architek wrote:if i'm not mistaken, the other side of the Atlantic is not much into foreign stuff unless they're dubbed or something.
You're wrong lol. "Basket Case" is a huge classic among French horror fans (and I guess European fans in general). For example, Henenlotter was invited to my hometown just a few months ago for a film festival, and his last effort ("Bad Biology") was sold on DVD with a French magazine ("Mad Movies", the equivalent of what "Fangoria" is to the U.S. market).

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

As far as the "Straight Outta Compton" hommages, one of my favorites was this :

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

fatboy, credited you for the DJ Scratch and Gravediggaz.

Freezy, credited you for the CMW. (If you have any others that aren't your favorites, even ones that you don't like, go 'head and post those up too if you want.)

Thought about adding:

LL Cool J – Bigger and Deffer LP (1987)
Kool Moe Dee – How Ya Like Me Now LP (1987)

If only for the red Kangol under the jeep wheel but it's not exactly a remake of an album cover.

Did add:

Looney Tunes (1949)
Babyface Fensta – I Came to Warna Brotha LP (2005)

http://visualsamplings.blogspot.com/201 ... _3327.html

Architek

Post by Architek »

Freezy, i wasn't referring to a minority, nor that side of the Atlantic.
TheBigSleep wrote:(Also, username / post combo.)
Ha, yeah, this isn't a coincidence. I chose that building as my subject for an essay during my first year at School of Architecture, that's how i instantly knew which one it was... and i suck at finding a clever username.

On topic, i think Guru's Jazzmatazz is closer to this one:

but then i think it's the overall design style by Reid Miles that's so influential, not individual covers. I'm 99% sure i've seen this label too on a rap record but can't recall which one:

Blue Note has probably inspired a shitload of others (some already posted).

And an interesting side note (no pun intended):
Some time ago, the graphic designer Logan Walters redesigned Wu-Tang Clan album covers in the style of classic Blue Note Records album covers. Here's a gallery of 'em:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loganmills ... 640418633/

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Figured it probably wasn't a coincidence.

Never seen anyone say that the Jazzmatazz cover is closer to that, it does look like that one as well though. I'm gonna keep it how it is, at least for now, unless I see something else that says otherwise. Good lookin' out though.

And yeah, I thought about those mock up Blue Note Wu-Tang records as well.

I've thought of the same thing, I'm sure there's some other Blue Note based ones out there and that logo does look familiar. Speaking of, no one knows the originals to any of those Blue Note inspired covers I posted? Finesse's Diggin' On Blue in particular feels like it's paying tribute to an individual cover, if only because Biz Markie's and Pete Rock's both are and they're all called Diggin' On Blue, from the same year, mixing Blue Note tracks.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Thanks for the credit Big Sleep. This is a fun thread, I'm definitely inspired as a visual artist. There definitely are more Wu mock up covers out there, I spotted one by an artist a few weeks ago I have to find in my bookmarks.

New music by Prospect on his DatPiff-hosted mixtape "First Blood" with the cover and title inspired by the Rambo/Stallone film of the 80's. One of the standout songs from the tape is a Lord Finesse-produced banger called "Make Something Out Of Nothing".

http://dl.soundowl.com/5von.mp3

More Scarface:

http://soundcloud.com/stu_bangas/outerspace-manolo-prod-by-stu

and if I'm not mistaken the mural on the back of Fat Joe's first album is one of his dead TS homies named Tony Montana. I've heard Pun shout him out in numerous interviews as well.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Only went thru half the site, is this included?

Architek

Post by Architek »

TheBigSleep wrote: Finesse's Diggin' On Blue in particular feels like it's paying tribute to an individual cover, if only because Biz Markie's and Pete Rock's both are and they're all called Diggin' On Blue, from the same year, mixing Blue Note tracks.
I think we can safely assume it's Jackie McLean ‎– New Soil (1959)

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Architek wrote:I think we can safely assume it's Jackie McLean ‎– New Soil (1959)

Love listening to this tape on a lazy weekend, great sounds to relax and vibe out to. The Pete Rock one is as well.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

recently two mc's put out a mixtape of themselves rhyming over pete rock beats and the cover was them recreating the cover to Main Ingredient. seen it in a few places before but now had a search but can't find it, don't know the mc's names.

Also the sleeve to Erick Sermon presents Insomnia looks like something jazz related, but I don't know what.