RICK RUBIN Compilation (1984-1989)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

claaa7

RICK RUBIN Compilation (1984-1989)

Post by claaa7 »

I've Always been a huge fan of Rick Rubin, mostly based on his work on LL Cool J's "Radio", and the debuts of The Beasties and of course "Raising Hell" by Run DMC.. As you all know he faded away much from the hip-hop scene since so although it might not be the best artists of all time - i'm real glad to see that artists like Jay-Z, Kanye West, and Eminem are starting to put him on the hip-hop map again (and he definitelly did some hot shit for Eminem - "Bezerk" and "Rhyme and Reason" especially).

i've been wanting to make a Rick Rubin compilation for the longest, but never got around to it. but here it finally is - 15 songs from 1984 to 1989, featuring not a single album track from the albums mentioned above but featuring classics like T La Rock's "It's Yours", the original version of LL's two first singles, and much more... you can read more on it on my blog, but here you got the tracklist and a download link. Enjoy and TURN IT UP LOUD!!!

01. T La Rock - "It's Yours"
02. LL Cool J - " I Need A Beat" [Original]
03. LL Cool J - "Rock The Bells" [Original]
04. Beastie Boys - "Rock Hard"
05. Hollis Crew "It's The Beat"
06. Run DMC - "Christmas in Hollis"
07. Jazzy Jay - "Def Jam"
08. Junkyard Band - "The World"
09. Jimmy Spicer - "This is It"
10. Jazzy Jay - "Cold Chillin' in the Spot"
11. Run DMC - "Jam Master Jammin'"
12. LL Cool J - "Going Back to Cali"
13. LL Cool J - "Jack The Ripper"
14. Run DMC - "Mary, Mary"
15. Queen - "We Will Rock You" [Remix Reduced by Rubin] [*]

RICK RUBIN - "THE BITH OF THE BOOM BAP: 1984-1989"
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

unheard78

Re: RICK RUBIN Compilation (1984-1989)

Post by unheard78 »

Sick! I may have most of these cuts somewhere but it's nice to get them all in one place! Much thanks! By the way, I've got some other Rubin remixes and productions you could add to this, including a solo beat track from a Tommy Boy comp.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

unheard: glad you like it!!
i guess you're talking about Rubin's only solo (as far as I know), "Dust Cloud", from 1985... i really wanted to include it on the comp but couldn't find it so that would be very appreciated if you could hook me up... what other Rubin joints you have that wasn't on here from that era?

on a side note to this thread, what do y'all T.R.O.Y. readers feel are Rubin's strongest produced album out of the Three mentioned above.. its a tough choice since i really love them all. but i Think for me Run DMC's and LL has a slight edge, and LL's "Radio" is one of my all time favorites so that takes the Crown for me.

and one last question to the readers here - what do you Think of Rubin's return to hip-hop this last couple of years. obviously Jay-Z's "99 Problems" was fantastic, but he also "reduced/crashed" and dared KanYe to go really minimalist on "Yeezy" (listen to the interview on my blog, real interesting) and of course the Eminem songs (not to mention that he was giving advice on Jay-Z's most recent Project). for the Eminem songs i really like 3 out of 4 songs - "Rhyme Or Reason", "Bezerk" and "Love Game". lets hope more artists will be going after him from here.

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Versive

Post by Versive »

claaa7 wrote: on a side note to this thread, what do y'all T.R.O.Y. readers feel are Rubin's strongest produced album out of the Three mentioned above.. its a tough choice since i really love them all. but i Think for me Run DMC's and LL has a slight edge, and LL's "Radio" is one of my all time favorites so that takes the Crown for me.

and one last question to the readers here - what do you Think of Rubin's return to hip-hop this last couple of years. obviously Jay-Z's "99 Problems" was fantastic, but he also "reduced/crashed" and dared KanYe to go really minimalist on "Yeezy" (listen to the interview on my blog, real interesting) and of course the Eminem songs (not to mention that he was giving advice on Jay-Z's most recent Project). for the Eminem songs i really like 3 out of 4 songs - "Rhyme Or Reason", "Bezerk" and "Love Game". lets hope more artists will be going after him from here.
Raising Hell. Can't really explain why. Maybe just because "I cut the head off the devil and I throw it at you."

"99 Problems" was ill especially in that he wasn't doing much different from the mid-80s. Yeezy is incredible in that it's a complete change of direction, probably more in line with his American Recordings work. The Eminem songs, I could live without ... not Rubin's fault though, just haven't felt much of anything Em did since Eminem Show. There were a couple good showings on his last album -- maybe one/several of those is on there? -- but not as memorable as any of Em's best work.

Can't sleep on Rubin's non-rap catalog of course. Even that first Saul Williams album.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^ i liked three out of four Eminem songs, but they took some growing... "Marshal Mathers LP II" is probably Em's weakest LP yet - the rhyming is his best in years, but i can only listen to "Bezerk", "Rap God", "Bad Guy (Stan Pt. 2)", "Don't Front", and maybe a few others.

true that, Saul Williams first is dope but i think that his second album with Trent Reznor is even iller ("Niggy Tardust")

Versive

Post by Versive »

claaa7 wrote: true that, Saul Williams first is dope but i think that his second album with Trent Reznor is even iller ("Niggy Tardust")
Oh HELL yeah, completely off topic, but my friend and I both have Tardust as a personal classic. Soooo good and years ahead of its time.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

claaa7 wrote:unheard: glad you like it!!
i guess you're talking about Rubin's only solo (as far as I know), "Dust Cloud", from 1985... i really wanted to include it on the comp but couldn't find it so that would be very appreciated if you could hook me up... what other Rubin joints you have that wasn't on here from that era?
Sorry I was so slow on this. I've been watching a pet for some relatives and it's been taking up all my time. That said, here is a link for the original speed version and a 45 RPM edit.

http://www22.zippyshare.com/v/80584481/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apart from this, I don't have too much else in the realm of rare Rick, and what I did have you have as well. I love that Def Jam/Cold Chillin' record though, just a classic!

I do have a phone message from him to Funkenklein from the Hollywood Beats sampler which is pretty funny. He's basically trying to sing the beats from his favorite old hip-hop records. I'll have to dig that out and post it.
claaa7 wrote:on a side note to this thread, what do y'all T.R.O.Y. readers feel are Rubin's strongest produced album out of the Three mentioned above.. its a tough choice since i really love them all. but i Think for me Run DMC's and LL has a slight edge, and LL's "Radio" is one of my all time favorites so that takes the Crown for me.
Radio is so good, it ain't even funny. I love all the Run-DMC stuff and Licensed To Ill too, but it's so hard to pick favorites. Radio though, damn that's good. Even the b-sides, remixes and leftovers are good, like the original Rock The Bells. I swear, the version of it released can't be finished, it's way too sparse and long, but it's so damn good!
claaa7 wrote:and one last question to the readers here - what do you Think of Rubin's return to hip-hop this last couple of years. obviously Jay-Z's "99 Problems" was fantastic, but he also "reduced/crashed" and dared KanYe to go really minimalist on "Yeezy" (listen to the interview on my blog, real interesting) and of course the Eminem songs (not to mention that he was giving advice on Jay-Z's most recent Project). for the Eminem songs i really like 3 out of 4 songs - "Rhyme Or Reason", "Bezerk" and "Love Game". lets hope more artists will be going after him from here.
I really dig Berzerk and Love Game. Rhyme Or Reason is just kinda whatever. I also really love the track he did for Lil Jon, as unpopular as it is to mention him these days.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/neSYelz1rl8?rel=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried to embed that video, but the board didn't like Lil Jon either.

Kanye's stuff is just weird, but I liked Yeezus and always listen to whatever he does. I'd like to know if Rick will actually be doing beats for Kanye or just "mentoring" him.

Rick got mentioned in Kwest Tha Madd Lad's stuff, and he was on American Recordings, but I don't think he produced anything for him. He also may have done the remixes of Andrew Dice Clay's Mother Goose routine, but the record doesn't credit him or anyone else for it. Check that out, it's definitely in the early Def Jam and Beasties vein, as well as being the source for that Bmore beat. You can grab that below, and it's from my own vinyl rip.

http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/41199436/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

@Claaa - Many thanks for the comp fella. Yeh, think you pretty much got it sewn with those. All classic, all gravity. Radio is my perdonal fave outta all the early gear. Just harder edged and LL was so HUNGRY. I really like the instrumental of I Can Give You More too, with the twinkly piano, dunno, summat about it moves me. Its a weird mysterious track without any vocals.

@Unheard - Whats doin stranger, thanks for the 45 rip of Dust Cloud, much much better. Now THAT is an odd record. Thanks again for the Dice Clay 12 " too, hadnt heard that. Not exactly mnd-altering material but always good to hear these wee curios. In terms of Kwest, I thought Rubin exec produced the whole LP no ?

@Versive - Propers to you sir, "I cut the head off the devil and I throw it at you" is a monster line !

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

IRISH_CRAIG - Yes Rick Rubin was one of several executive producers of the album.. i read and listened to several interviews with him about the album. Kanye called up Rubin asking if he could listen to his album and help him decide what should be left on the cutting room floor. Rubin said yes, figuring the LP was basically completed... when West arrived at Rick's house he had like three hours of music and Rubin's role was to strip it down as much as possible. it would be cool if he would've gotten an "Executive Reducer" credit or "Reduced by Rick Rubin" credit, like on "Radio" bc that's what he did.

he was very pleased with the results, bc first he didn't think it would be possible to do it (his original deadline was something like 7 days which he said was not doable).. he probably also should get co-producer credit or at the very least additional production for some tracks, such as "Bound 2" -
How would you describe the new sound he was driving for, and how you did you help him arrive there?

He wanted the music to take a stripped-down minimal direction. He was always examining what we could take out instead of put in. A good example would be the song that became “Bound.” When he first played it for me, it was a more middle of the road R&B song, done in an adult contemporary style. Kanye had the idea of combining that track with a cool sample he had found and liked – I removed all of the R&B elements leaving only a single note baseline in the hook which we processed to have a punk edge in the Suicide tradition.

here's 2 interesting Q&A with Rubin on his work on "Yeezus":
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/06/ ... ts-yeezus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.newsweek.com/2013/06/26/rick ... 37646.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

Thanks CLAAA.

'Reduced by Rick Rubin', whoah, that takes me back.

I know naff all about Kanye im afraid. Im sure he's good, his Hip-Pop sensibility is just not for my ears. His ability to entertain his unquestionable, but for me, he grates like cheese.

Talkin of RR rarities, im sellin this right now. Probably over-priced but hey.

http://www.discogs.com/sell/item/185712669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

^^ hmmm, interesting... what is that?
it says it's non-music, a comedy record but suitable for in-store playing?

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »

yeh, no swearyness.

unheard78

Post by unheard78 »

I saw that disc once. Funny to think of a clean Dice comp. It ain't Dice without the ridiculous obscenities.

IRISH_CRAIG

Post by IRISH_CRAIG »