Respect The Architects...

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Jaz
Ease Up

KMD...

Post by Jaz »

NB: Note this is a KMD appreciation thread so MF Doom albums aren't mentioned, besides there are just too many.
KMD consisted of brothers Zevlove X and DJ Subroc along with thier mate Onyx. They released the classic album Mr. Hood in 1990 on Elektra records. Criminally slept on it is only getting the props it deserves today.

Politics and bullshit lead Elektra to drop the group in 94 (now without Onyx) before the release of thier second album Black Bastards. Around this time Subroc was tragically killed in a car accident, and Zev, understandably disillusioned, took some time out from the record industry.

He resurfaced under the metal mask of MF Doom in the late 90's, on b-boy philanthropist Bobbito Garcia's Fondle 'Em label. His album Operation Doomsday pretty much forms a trilogy with the two KMD albums before it (the second now released through Subverse records) and has garnered much praise from the Hiphop world.

With an ever growing base of fans seeking out the old KMD records, and with the new indie crowd familiar with MF Doom, a new KMD project is apparently in the pipeline, with longtime friends Kurious Jorge and MF Grimm rumoured to be making up the numbers.
R.I.P Subroc :cry:

Defining Albums

Constipated Monkeys (CM Crew)
Kurious,Earthquake& Kadi

Lord Sear
Bobbito
MF Grimm
Pete Nice & Daddy Rich

Defining Albums:
Last edited by Jaz on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaz
Ease Up

Run DMC...

Post by Jaz »

R.I.P Jam Master Jay :cry:
Run-DMC is commonly considered to be the bridge between old school rappers like Grandmaster Flash and the modern rap era. Joseph Simmons (Run), Darryl McDaniels (DMC) and Jason Mizell (Jam Master Jay) emerged from Hollis, Queens, N.Y. With their gold chains and Adidas, they were the first rappers to earn a gold album (Run-DMC in 1984), the first to earn a platinum album (King of Rock in 1985), the first to go multi-platinum (Raising Hell in 1986), the first to have their videos played on MTV, the first to appear on "American Bandstand," and the first to grace the cover of Rolling Stone. Runs' older brother, Russell Simmons, already had a career in the music business with his label Def Jam as the management group Rush Production, which represented rappers Kurtis Blow and Whodini. Under Simmons' management, the group hit the big time, bringing rap to mainstream America - even appearing with Aerosmith in a remake of the Boston rockers' hit "Walk This Way" in 1986.
The group released Tougher Than Leather in 1988 and Back From Hell in 1990, both of which did not enjoy the commercial success of previous releases. In the wake of personal problems, both Run and DMC became born again Christians after the release of Back From Hell. In 1993 they released Down With the King. Eight years later, Run-D.M.C.'s long - awaited "comeback" album finally surfaced. In October 30th 2002 Jam Master Jay was murdered at a New York recording studio.
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Run+DMC

Defining Albums:

Last edited by Jaz on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaz
Ease Up

T La Rock Interview with JayQuan...

Post by Jaz »

JayQuan : Lets start with the beginning ...what year did you start emceeing ,and isyour original Emcee name ?

T La Rock : Man....I first picked up the mic in like '78 or '79 , and I was always T La Rock ...it came from when I was a Breakdancer. Then I was in a crew called the Undefeated 4.

JQ : Special K from Treacherous 3 is your brother right ?

TLR : Yes he is my little brother .

JQ : So who started Emceeing first ?

TLR : I did ....he got a deal before I did....but I was Emceeing before him .

JQ : We have to talk about " Its Yours " . It has been said that "Sucker Mcs" by Run Dmc was the start of a new sound - because of the stripped down track - " Its Yours " was actually the start of the Bass and Drum machine era.

TLR : Yeah even Luke (Uncle Luke Skyywalker) credits me with having the first official bass record .

JQ : How did that song come about ?

TLR : Originally Special K was supposed to do that record and Louie Lou was supposed to do the scatching. My brother kept telling me " man you need to do this record " . I didnt even want to make records , I had a job at a pharmacy making good money - K hooked me up with Rick Rubin and that was it .

JQ : That record is a classic...I bought it on the strength of the cover with the curve arm turntable....also because it had Jazzy Jays name on it. So you actually had the first Def Jam release ?

TLR : Yes and no . Def Jam was just a production thing that Rick (Rubin) was doing...it wasnt a real label...the label was Partytime/ Streetwise. But it did have the Def Jam logo and Curve arm turntable .

JQ : So its safe to say that because of " Its Yours " careers for LL Cool J , Public Enemy , Ja Rule, 3rd Bass and Beastie Boys are possible .

TLR : Yes.

JQ : You and Special K wrote " Its Yours " together right ?

TLR : Yeah its funny....it wasnt even like writing... we were literally finishing each others sentences .

JQ : You used the Uncle Louie break for the intro right ?

TLR : Yes , there is another break within the drum programs...but you have to listen close.

JQ : A lot of cats dont listen to lyrics...but I always peeped that the whole record was actually about the process of recording a rap record.....then the next Def Jam release was " I Need A Beat " by LL Cool J , which was very close in subject matter and style to " Its Yours " .

TLR : Yes..me & LL used to talk all the time . He use to always give me props when we talked.....he had a hard time at first....thats why the original " Rock The Bells" ...the one with the actual cowbells was so hard . He felt he had a lot to prove...he was mad.

JQ : Ok the next thing you released was the " Hes Incredible " multi single .

TLR : Yeah on Fresh Records....Me & Special K wrote and Produced that too.

JQ : That was a dope record....even on " Hes Incredible " you are rhyming about Dj Louie Lou....but you still have some dope battle lyrics .

TLR : Some of the stuff on that record wasnt even written....like " T La Rock Rockin The Party " - some of it was off the top .

JQ : So what record did Greg Nice ( of Nice & Smooth) appear on with you first?

TLR : That was " Breaking Bells / Bass Machine" in' 86 .

JQ : How did you and the legendary Mantronik hook up ?

TLR : He was supposed to come in and add some stuff to "Breakdown" from the " Hes Incredible " single....but it never happened.....and we were label mates..I wanted some stuff like what he did with " Fresh Is The Word " .

JQ : Then came " Back To Burn "....that was bigger in the UK right ?

TLR : Yes it did very well there...along with the first Mantronix Lp....Mantronik was ahead of his time ...people werent ready for it .

JQ : Yeah....on "Breaking Bells" he was sampling....not many people were then . He used " Brother Green" by Roy Ayers on there.

TLR : Actually I bought that record in the studio....that was me.

JQ : It was dope how you put out non lp stuff like " Scratch Monopoly" and "Nitro" .

TLR : Yeah " Nitro " was on the Rap Pack lp...Quincy Jones son QDIII produced it.

JQ : You had an Lp called " On A Warpath " ....it was a UK only release right ?

TLR : Yes...it almost didnt come out at all . Greg Nice was on tour in the Uk with Nice & Smooth , and he brought it back....I was like damn I didnt know Fresh (records) had put it out at all .

JQ : What is T La Rock doing today ?

TLR : Im doing a movie....it wont really be a Hip Hop movie...stay tuned for it...I just did a joint with Percy P for his upcoming lp .

JQ : What is your opinion of todays so called Hip Hop ?

TLR : Its a little too much emphasis on Girls , Drugs and Guns....these things always existed in Hip Hop ....but there was more versatility back then...we talked about other things too .

JQ : Whats Special K up to ?

TLR : He is maintaining....he is a family man now...kids and everything.....but he is still doing his music .

JQ : On " Runaway " you mentioned " Its Yours 2 "....did that ever come out?

TLR : No...it was recorded though...there are several mixes to " Its Yours"..I did one with Charlie Brown from Leaders Of The New School...there are about 7 mixes....one is on the " Warpath " lp.
http://www.jayquan.com/tla.htm

Defining Albums:

Jaz
Ease Up

LL Cool J...

Post by Jaz »

[quote]Born James Todd Smith on January 14, 1968, Ladies Love Cool James (LL Cool J) began his career in Queens, N.Y. when he was 16 years old, though he had been rapping since the age of nine. His grandfather bought him a mixing table and LL began to record tapes in his home. Inevitably, he sent his tapes to various record labels and finally interested Def Jam Productions. In 1984 they signed him and released his first single, "I Need A Beat." The single sold more than 100,000 copies and established LL Cool J in the rap industry. His debut album, I Can't Live Without My Radio, (which went platinum) was recorded in 1985 after LL left high school to pursue a career in music. 1987 marked the release of his second album Bigger and Deffer, which soared to the No. 3 spot on the pop charts with the help of the hit single, "I Need Love." LL's ability to intuitively combine rap and pop is his strong point, but at the same time it has cost him the respect of many rap fans who claimed he has a sold out. The successful single, "Goin' Back to Cali," appeared on the Less Than Zero soundtrack in 1988, further boosting his crossover popularity. In 1990 LL struck again with Mama Said Knock You Out, which marked him as a rap super-guru and pop deity. After this ascension, he starred in two movies and appeared and performed at the MTV Inaugural Ball in honor of President Clinton. He released 14 Shots to the Dome in 1993. LL returned to the studio to record the double platinum album Mr. Smith in 1995. Throughout the mid-90s, LL continued to branch out into acting, taking roles in films such as Woo, Halloween: H20, and the Oliver Stone football opus Any Given Sunday. During this time, he released All World: Greatest Hits (1996) and Phenomenon (1997), an album that did not do well commercially or critically as it appeared LL was more interested in Hollywood than the hip-hop scene. LL confirmed his attraction to acting over the next few years, taking a small part in 2000

Ethix Skeptro
Location: 416-905, Creataz 4cefield, Hollow Erf, K2, Killamanjaro, Ararat, Taigetos & Pindus Mts

Post by Ethix Skeptro »

RESPECT!

PROPS ya'll..

but weres THE LAST POETS?

ScholarWenis

Post by ScholarWenis »

would you place bahamadi within the top ten of mc's? (rhetorical question)
No more Sasso. Now everybody call me Ron!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

ScholarWenis wrote:would you place bahamadi within the top ten of mc's? (rhetorical question)
Bahamadia?...In the Top 10 female MC's yes...in the Top 10 of all MC's...nope...I would place Jean Gare over her to be honest.

Jaz
Ease Up

The Last Poets...

Post by Jaz »

By Special Request...

LAST POETS - This is madness

Last Poets were rappers of the civil rights era. Along with the changing domestic landscape came the New York City-hip group called The Last Poets, who used obstreperous verse to chide a nation whose inclination was to maintain the colonial yoke around the neck of the disenfranchised.

Shortly after the death of Martin Luther King, The Last Poets were born. David Nelson, Gylan Kain, and Abiodun Oyewole, were born on the anniversary of Malcolm X's birthday May 19, 1968 in Marcus Garvey Park. They grew from three poets and a drummer to seven young black and Hispanic artists: David Nelson, Gylan Kain, Abiodun Oyewole, Felipe Luciano, Umar Bin Hassan, Jalal Nurridin, and Suliamn El Hadi (Gil Scott Heron was never a member of the group). They took their name from a poem by South African poet Willie Kgositsile, who posited the necessity of putting aside poetry in the face of looming revolution.

"When the moment hatches in time's womb there will be no art talk," he wrote. "The only poem you will hear will be the spearpoint pivoted in the punctured marrow of the villain....Therefore we are the last poets of the world."

The Last Poets has brought together music and the word. Like Haki Madhubuti (Don L. Lee), they are/were modern day griots expressing the nation- building fervor of the Black Panthers in poems written for black people. As the great poet Amiri Baraka (LeRoi Jones) says, "The Last Poets are the prototype Rappers... the kina nigger you don never wanna meet!" They teach what America does to its Black men, what Black men do to themselves, and WHY!

Novelist/essayist Darius James, in his book "That's Blaxploitation!" (St. Martin's Griffin, 1995) recalled the impact of the Poets at their birth.

In 1970 the Last Poets released their first album and dropped a bomb on black Amerikkka's turntables. Muthafuckas ran f'cover.
Nobody was ready.
Had em scared o' revolution. Scared o' the whyte man's god complex. Scared o' subways. Scared o' each other. Scared o' themselves. And scared o' that totem of onanistic worship -- the eagle-clawed Amerikkkan greenback! The rhetoric made you mad. The drums made you pop your fingers. And the poetry made you sail on the cushions of a fine hashish high.
Most importantly, they made you think and kept you "correct" on a revolutionary level.
We all connected. 'Cause it was a Black communal thing. Like the good vibes and paper plate of red-peppered potato salad at a neighborhood barbecue. The words and the rhythms were relevant. We joined together around the peace pipe and the drum. And when it came to the rhythms of the drums, the drums said, "Check your tired-ass ideology at the door."

With withering attacks on everything from racists to government to the bourgeoisie, their spoken word albums preceded politically laced R&B projects such as Marvin Gaye's What's Going On and foreshadowed the work of hard-hitting rap groups such as Public Enemy. Their classic poems Niggers are scared of Revolution, This is Madness, When the Revolution Comes, and Gashman were released on their two record albums Last Poets (1970) and This Is Madnesss (1971).

During their late 60s and early 70s they connected with the violent factions of the SNCC (Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee), the SDS (Students for a Democratic Society), and the Black Panther party. They went through confrontations with the FBI and police, and went arrests for robbing the Ku Klux Klan and various other ventures with Revolution in mind. Abiodun Oyewole received a 12-to-20-year jail sentence, but served less than four years.

Like Oyewole, Umar Bin Hassan was able to overcome the urban social maladies of a broken home, child abuse, a musician-father doing jail time, the dog-eat-dog world of public housing in Akron Ohio, and his own crack addiction. Hassan dispenses with the eloquence of classic English verse, for the gritty, in-your-face cadence of the 'hood.

They also fought each other and split into two groups. One, including Jalal Nuriddin, who wrote Wake Up Niggers, and Suleiman el-Hadi, was known as "The Last Poets" and the other, including Abiodun Oyewole and Umar Bin Hassan, while also original members, was billed as "Formerly of the Last Poets." It was a legal dispute, fundamentally, and for years there was talk of reconcilation. Nuriddin and el-Hadi also were active, though mostly in the UK (Nuriddin has been based in London for some years). In an early 90's Paris where Umar Bin Hassan was preparing for a Last Poet concert, Jalal mysteriously appeared and stabbed Hassan in the throat. Attempting to learn their own lessons, at present only Oyewole and Hassan (shown at the top of this page) remain of the original Last Poets in the group, and have the right to call themselves that title.

The Last Poets made four albums. Oyewole, at times with Hassan, at time without, made a number of others. On the albums, there are many special guests. David Laswell has appeared with the gourp during much of the 90s. They participated in the 1994 Lollapalooza tour; performed in John Singleton's "Poetic Justice" film and Holy Terror has Senegalese drummer Aiyb Dieng and his longtime collaborator, former Coltrane protege Pharoah Sanders to add some fireworks on sax. Hassan has the CD Be Bop or Be Dead. Anyway, a mid 90s performance of Oyewole and Hassan can be heard on the Stolen Moments: Red Hot and Blue compilation, which also ran on PBS as a video. On the fourth album since 1993,Time Has Come, Chuck D, co-founder of Public Enemy appears.

The full Last Poets story, as well as poetry, can be found in the book On a Mission: Selected Poems and a History of The Last Poets by Abiodun Oyewole, Umar Bin Hassan written with music journalist Kim Green Buy this book it's sold all over the web.

Abiodun Oyewole has had a number of projects not under the Last Poets name, such as the CD 25 Years. Oyewole, spent 15 years in the New York school system, also taught at Columbia University. David Nelson is a Christian Minister, Felipe Luciano is a newscaster New York. But the Last Poets, with Oyewole and Hassan, performed in Buffalo in 1997. According to Oyewole:

"We're no more 'godfathers of spoken word' than the man in the moon; it comes in a package from the motherland. But we accept there is work out there that we can do. People need to see a focal point, a beacon, and we don't have no problem with shining."

Select Last Poets Discography
* The Last Poets, Douglas 1970
* This Is Madness, Douglas 1971
* Chastisement, Douglas 1972
* Hustlers Convention, w/Jalal Nuriddin recording as "Lightnin' Rod," Douglas 1973
* At Last, Blue Thumb 1974
* Delights of the Garden, Celluloid 1975
* Jazzoetry, Celluloid 1975
* Oh! My People, Celluloid 1985
* Freedom Express, Celluloid 1991
* Be Bop Or Be Dead, Umar Bin Hassan w/Abiodun Oyewole, Axiom/Island 1993
* 25 Years, Abiodun Oyewole w/ Umar Bin Hassan, Rykodisc 1994
* Holy Terror, Rykodisc 1995
* Time Has Come, Mouth Almighty/Mercury 1997
*The Corner (w Common and Kanye West)-2005

http://www.globaldarkness.com/articles/ ... graphy.htm

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Ethix Skeptro wrote:RESPECT!

PROPS ya'll..

but weres THE LAST POETS?
see above good sir... :grin:

Maceo1ne

Post by Maceo1ne »

Mfn bump
close as kept for clones suspects

soopacee

Post by soopacee »

Mcgruff needs to be mentioned.....he is the G.O.A.T.!
Just Because Something Is RARE, Doesnt Mean Its Good

Maceo1ne

Post by Maceo1ne »

:gyeah: :lol:
close as kept for clones suspects