is Das Efx's "Hold it down" a classic album?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

is Das Efx's "Hold it down" a classic album?

yes
48%
no
52%

Total votes: 48

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

no its not classic but is a good album , but what a waste of that intro beat.... it was a hard hit , too bad they didnt use it as actual song , i hold that intro on repeat many times

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

What makes this tricky/contentious is the ambiguity of the term "classic."

I think you'll find a wide range of opinions on that very term, let alone the dopeness of Hold It Down.

I love Hold It Down mainly because it has some seriously knockin beats on it. Plus it really surprised me when it came out, as I was prepared to ignore Das Efx.

Classic?... I don't know...It depends...

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

no, a lot of great tracks though "here it is" and the joint with KRS
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

am I the only one who liked the later albums too? I fuckin loved How We Do. A lot of older artists don't get the opportunity to show off their later albums. We are too busy comparing them with either their old classic albums, or new artists.

boogs

Post by boogs »

imo, a lot of the remixes that came out back then outshined Das EFX's album material, thus I wouldn't call any of their albums classic. They're still good stuff though, I own the first four albums and don't feel bad about it, lol.
Jussumen Pete Rock Remix: best song from Dead Serious.
Microphone Master Mobb Deep Remix: best song from Hold it Down
Kind of a similar situation with Bush Babees. Both albums are good but the Remember We Remix outshines pretty much every song on there

LONDON!

Re: is Das Efx's "Hold it down" a classic album?

Post by LONDON! »

Galvatron78 wrote:I say yes, it was one of those "fuck the industry" albums. Hard ass beats courtesy of Solid Scheme, Premier, and Pete Rock and could someone please tell me what infected Skoob on that album? On every track the nigga ssounded like he was out blood and hungry as fuck, they came with the stripped down diggedy style and made a back to back classic IMO.
to me yeah, its a certified underground hip hop classic, that hard, concrete, basement, gutta type production complented by das's undaground hardcore type of bars, that good spark up a zoot(spiff), close your eyes and head nod to that shit type of shizzle and you know this