MOOD 1995 Demo Tape (updated with Three Below Zero)

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Hobus Maguire

MOOD 1995 Demo Tape (updated with Three Below Zero)

Post by Hobus Maguire »

First post. I don't know how rare this shit is exactly but I found a link on another blog...

MOOD are Main Flow, Donte, Jahson & DJ Hi-Tek(Yes, from Reflection Eternal) from Cincinnatti. They put out a dope LP in '97 called DOOM (which y'all probably know about) and a remix 12" from the LP but nothing else since except a whole lotta Main Flow solo albums and a Donte mixtape.

Anyway, this is their demo tape from about '95 I believe. I copped this shit awhile ago from some dude in a forum somewhere who said he knew Main Flow's cousin or some shit, unfortunately I don't remember dudes name, never got to speak to him about it after I listened to it but it's straight fire.

The version I have is pretty good quality tape rip although it gets worse toward the end... I found it posted again here:
http://thasence.blogspot.com/2008/10/mo ... -tape.html
Let me know how the quality is...

Also I made up my own tracklist with some info about some of the tracks... Of particular interest may be the 2 unreleased (and one remixed again) Talib Kweli joints!

1.MOOD - Untitled Demo 1 (Unreleased)
2.MOOD - Untitled Demo 2 (Unreleased)
3.Talib Kweli - Untitled Demo 1 (Unreleased)(Cuts out for 4 secs at 1:00 mark)*
4.Talib Kweli - Untitled Demo 2 (Unreleased)
5.MOOD - Cincinnatti (Hi-Tek Version)(Unreleased)
6.Donte - Mr. Everything (Solo Version)(Unreleased)
7.MOOD - Doom Da feat. Pase Rock of Five Deez^(Unreleased)(Contains the interlude "Babylon The Great", later used on the "DOOM" LP)
8.MOOD - Illuminated Sunz (Demo Version w/o Sunz Of Man)(Unreleased)
9.Talib Kweli & Rubix - Millionaires (Later released on "Mission Control Presents: Prehistoric Sounds" compilation)
10.MOOD - Untitled Demo 3 (Unreleased)(Main Flow's verses from this were later used on DJ Greyboy's "Uknowmylife" from the "Mastered The Art" LP)
11.MOOD - Peddlers Of Doom (Demo Version)(Unreleased)
12.MOOD - Empty Pages feat. Talib Kweli (Slightly different intro to the version later released on "Mission Control Presents: Prehistoric Sounds" compilation)
13.Talib Kweli - Untitled Demo 1 (Remix feat. Donte)(Unreleased)

*Yeah, I know... it's fucked. Sounds like someone accidentally hit the record button on the tape player one night... If anyone out there has a rip from a different tape where it doesn't cut out, let me know.
^Thanks to Kevin Beacham for that info...
EDIT: added more info, track 5 is "Cincinnatti (Hi-Tek Version)" according to Donte/moodhiphop youtube page. Track 6 is a Donte solo version of "Mr. Everything"
Last edited by Hobus Maguire on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Echo Leader

Re: MOOD 1995 Demo Tape with unreleased Talib Kweli tracks

Post by Echo Leader »

Hobus Maguire wrote:First post. I don't know how rare this shit is exactly but I found a link on another blog...

MOOD are Main Flow, Donte, Jahson & DJ Hi-Tek(Yes, from Reflection Eternal) from Cincinnatti. They put out a dope LP in '97 called DOOM (which y'all probably know about) and a remix 12" from the LP but nothing else since except a whole lotta Main Flow solo albums and a Donte mixtape.

Anyway, this is their demo tape from about '95 I believe. I copped this shit awhile ago from some dude in a forum somewhere who said he knew Main Flow's cousin or some shit, unfortunately I don't remember dudes name, never got to speak to him about it after I listened to it but it's straight fire.

The version I have is pretty good quality tape rip although it gets worse toward the end... I found it posted again here:
http://thasence.blogspot.com/2008/10/mo ... -tape.html
Let me know how the quality is...

Also I made up my own tracklist with some info about some of the tracks... Of particular interest may be the 2 unreleased (and one remixed again) Talib Kweli joints!

1.MOOD - Untitled Demo 1 (Unreleased)
2.MOOD - Untitled Demo 2 (Unreleased)
3.Talib Kweli - Untitled Demo 1 (Unreleased)(Cuts out for 4 secs at 1:00 mark)*
4.Talib Kweli - Untitled Demo 2 (Unreleased)
5.MOOD - Cincinnatti (Demo Version)(Unreleased)
6.Donte - Mr. Everything (???)^ (Unreleased)
7.MOOD - Doom Da feat. Pace (???)" (Unreleased)(Contains the interlude "Babylon The Great", later used on the "DOOM" LP)
8.MOOD - Illuminated Sunz (Demo Version w/o Sunz Of Man)(Unreleased)
9.Talib Kweli & Rubix - Millionaires (Later released on "Mission Control Presents: Prehistoric Sounds" compilation)
10.MOOD - Untitled Demo 3 (Unreleased)(Main Flow's verses from this were later used on DJ Greyboy's "Uknowmylife" from the "Mastered The Art" LP)
11.MOOD - Peddlers Of Doom (Demo Version)(Unreleased)
12.MOOD - Empty Pages feat. Talib Kweli (Slightly different intro to the version later released on "Mission Control Presents: Prehistoric Sounds" compilation)
13.Talib Kweli - Untitled Demo 1 (Remix feat. Donte)(Unreleased)

*Yeah, I know... it's fucked. Sounds like someone accidentally hit the record button on the tape player one night... If anyone out there has a rip from a different tape where it doesn't cut out, let me know.
^Just guessing the name of this track as the chorus goes "Mr. Everything, I'm Mr Everything..."
"Someone had this posted on Youtube titled "MOOD - Doom Da feat. Pace" but since removed it, I'm guessing the title is correct. No idea who "Pace" is though, I googled "pace cincinnatti hip hop" but nothing conclusive on this dude (I'm sure someone here might be able to school me though)...
:ohsh:

GREAT FIRST POST.

Welcome to the boards. :cheers:

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

Cheers Echo Leader... been meaning to download some o' that Project Blowed stuff you upped to.

You guys think I should link this in the freestyles and demos thread as well?

Verge

Post by Verge »

Echo Leader wrote: :ohsh:

GREAT FIRST POST.

Welcome to the boards. :cheers:
Word, welcome.
Demos from the 90's always welcome.
Thanks for all the info, too.
:cheers:

Verge

Post by Verge »

Yeah, you could throw this in the Demos and Freestyles thread, too.
For people who get updates on that, but might miss it here.
Again, good shit.
Thanks.

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

No worries, I'll link it now...

kevin beacham

Post by kevin beacham »

Hobus Maguire wrote:First post. I don't know how rare this shit is exactly but I found a link on another blog...

"Someone had this posted on Youtube titled "MOOD - Doom Da feat. Pace" but since removed it, I'm guessing the title is correct. No idea who "Pace" is though, I googled "pace cincinnatti hip hop" but nothing conclusive on this dude (I'm sure someone here might be able to school me though)...
Pase is Pase Rock from the Five Deez.

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

kevin beacham wrote:

Pase is Pase Rock from the Five Deez.

I shoulda thought of that, they were part of the whole Wannabattle crew...

On a side note, what the fuck happened to that dude? I heard he did a DJ show here in Australia, and it was some weak-ass electro hipster shit. apparently dude ain't fuckin with hip-hop no more...

Lyrical Gymnastics

Post by Lyrical Gymnastics »

best post i've seen in a while

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

does someone own the original version of "Diplomats" (no youtube version)

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

whoa.....

ill post Maguire.....def. gonna bump this later on...

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

Let me know what you guys think of it. There's some bangers on there for sure, cuts that should have definitely made the :doom: album IMO...

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

soulsurvivor wrote:does someone own the original version of "Diplomats" (no youtube version)
:ohsh:

You mean this?
MOOD - Diplomats (Hi-Tek Version)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ev-gcaR13FM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ev-gcaR13FM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I never even heard of this until you mentioned it now! I definitely need that shit too, it's fire!

Also this guy, moodhiphop on youtube (who I think is Donte) got posted up:
Donte - In Jail (Produced by Hi-Tek)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSEeytiUGkc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oSEeytiUGkc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Anyone got that track either?

I read a post way back where someone metioned a way to rip a youtube sound file to .mp3, anyone know how to do that?
Last edited by Hobus Maguire on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

kimani

Post by kimani »

Mmmmmm, demos...
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

exactly Hobus, can't find it anywhere!

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Greatest First Post Ever :cheers:

I have about 4 songs they did before this demo when they went by the name "Three Below Zero", I'll throw'em up this weekend if anyone is interested.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

soulsurvivor wrote:exactly Hobus, can't find it anywhere!
99% sure the dude that posted both those tracks is Donte.
If you look at the profile http://www.youtube.com/user/moodhiphop, it says Name: donte'. Check the comments for both tracks, he says the Hi-Tek version of "Diplomats" was never released...
Comments for "In Jail" some dude says:
its ["In Jail"] on the one i bought from mainflow..so im pretty sure it is unless dude sold me a revised a copy [of the album "DOOM"] or something
Seems neither of those tracks were released except for maybe "In Jail" being put on a promo copy of DOOM being sold by Main Flow.

I'm still surprised neither track is on the demo tape, but considering the drop in quality towards the end, it's possible those tracks were on the tape but unlistenable after ripping...

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:Greatest First Post Ever :cheers:

I have about 4 songs they did before this demo when they went by the name "Three Below Zero", I'll throw'em up this weekend if anyone is interested.
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

Please fucking :upload:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:I have about 4 songs they did before this demo when they went by the name "Three Below Zero"
Yo, where the hell did you find this anyways???

Is it like '93-94? Does it have the original Hi-Tek version of "Diplomats" or "In Jail" or do you have those tracks? :gyeah:

And just to reiterate:

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

So after more research I've found some other tracks I need...These dudes dropped more shit than I thought...

Unreleased tacks:
Donte - In Jail (Unreleased)(Can be heard onhttp://www.youtube.com/user/moodhiphop)

MOOD - Diplomats (Hi-Tek Version)(Unreleased)(Can be heard onhttp://www.youtube.com/user/moodhiphop)

MOOD - Hustle On The Side (Remix)(Unreleased)(Can be heard on http://www.wannabattle.com)
-Just heard this now

Hi-Tek feat. MOOD - Suddenly (Remix w/ extra scratches/samples)(Unreleased)(Can be heard on http://www.myspace.com/moodhiphop)
-This too, never heard it before today

Other rare shit:
MOOD - "Secrets Of The Sand (Purple Penguin Remix)" (Secrets Of The Sands 12" EP - http://www.discogs.com/Mood-Secrets-Of- ... ase/144213)
-Never heard this. I got "Secrets Of The Sand (Jay Dee Remix)" but not this

MOOD - "Cincinnatti (Remix)" (Karma/Cincinnatti 12" - http://www.discogs.com/Mood-Karma/release/759840)
-Never heard this unless it's the same as the one on the demo tape

MOOD - "Insights" (DOOM 1998 re-issue, Cup Of Tea Recordings - http://www.discogs.com/Mood-Doom/release/794732)
-Apparently the DOOM album was re-issued w/ this 1 extra track. I'm guessing this is the first track on the demo tape, the chorus was something like "Insights, take ya to new heights..."

MOOD - "Verbal Stampede" & "Verbal Stampede (Remix)" (Verbal Stampede/Hustle On The Side 12", Below Zero Records - http://www.discogs.com/Mood-Verbal-Stam ... se/1679243)
-:ohsh: This one I'm guessing is gonna be the rarest of all... Notice the label "Below Zero Records" with the interchangable 3 & B but the artist is still MOOD not Three Below Zero. Came out in '94 (three years before their album)

...Also while researching this I come across some other interesting shit like this: Interview w/ Theory Hazit
Being from Cincinnati, Ohio, I guess you been down with Hi-Tek one way or another...

I started goin' to the studio in 1994-95 and Hi-Tek was an engineer at the time. I knew him as lil' Tee'. I don't think he knew my name at all but he knew my face. I would record there all the time with my boys I came up with. Whenever we ran into Hi-Tek, we would just talk about hip hop, artists and such. Tone would play beats that he made. I remember him playin' 'Hustle On The Side' remix by Mood before it was mastered. After Black Star did their thing, I'd see Hi-Tek at shows, restaurants, and emcee battles.

Did you have the Mood album?

No, I always had their singles. For all you heads out there....remember the gold tape with the original 'Hustle On The Side'? Classic!
http://www.platform8470.com/artists/ai_theoryhazit.asp

And this: Interview w/ BJ Digby AKA Holmskillit (who featured on MOOD's track "Cincinnatti")
Digby describes the years surrounding his Hi-Tek/Mood association as "hyper-drive." Having collaborated with Talib Kweli on Doom, Kweli introduced him to Mos Def, who linked him to Rawkus, who heard his demo.

"We were taking trips to New York, doin' shows at Bogart's," he says. "Kweli would come to town, we'd record, then we'd go up there and link with him. I would catch the bus up there broke, and he'd take care of me. I'd have to babysit his fam while he worked at Nkiru Bookstore in New York. We'd go to Nkiru, do shows. I had a demo with Hi-Tek. I was tryin' to get a deal around that time and meeting a lot of people, (but) things didn't work out."
http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/arti ... ounge.html
Never knew this dude had a demo with Hi-Tek.. I can only imagine it's dope. If anyone has it, or any of the other rare/unreleased stuff, please... :upload:

docpacino

Post by docpacino »

U can go to fetchmp3.com. U type in what YouTube video u want, it goes to YouTube n gets it, then u hit convert to mp3, and then you got yourself an mp3 from a YouTube video.

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

^Thanks doc pacino... Do you know of any way to rip mp3's from myspace too? I got some program called Orbit that downloads youtube vids and is supposed to get mp3's as well but I can't seem to get it to do that.

Peace

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Hobus I'm having a bit of trouble making the tracks into mp3 at the moment, but I'm gonna keep trying, expect them up by Sunday night at the latest! I'll PM you with a link.

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

^Sweet man... I cannot wait to hear this shit! :bow:

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Three Below Zero (Mood) - Unreleased EP

Here's some rare tracks I put together by Mood, when they went by the name Three Below Zero. Mood actually had a page on mp3.com back in '99 and thats where I got these from. Enjoy:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kgjtw3tndcz

Tracklist:
01. Brain Rushes
02. Mighty Mad House
03. Next On The Steel
04. Highway
05. Mr. Everything (alternate version)

bitrate=192

Hobus Maguire

Re: Three Below Zero (Mood) - Unreleased EP

Post by Hobus Maguire »

I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:Here's some rare tracks I put together by Mood, when they went by the name Three Below Zero. Mood actually had a page on mp3.com back in '99 and thats where I got these from. Enjoy:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kgjtw3tndcz

Tracklist:
01. Brain Rushes
02. Mighty Mad House
03. Next On The Steel
04. Highway
05. Mr. Everything (alternate version)

bitrate=192

I'll have a listen and let you know what I think...

Verge

Post by Verge »

Props, I Smell Like Un Kasa.
Will check these tracks.
There's some real dope tracks on the first demo tape Hobus posted.
So, I'm sure there's joints on this EP you posted.

Threads merged. The "updated" thread title should ensure nobody misses
out. Thanks again.

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

Word, this is dope. :ohsh:

@I Smell Like Un Kasa: Any idea on who produced these joints? They sound like Hi-Tek but...

And what about features? The deep voiced guy on tracks 3 and 4 I'm pretty sure is King Solomon of the wannabattle camp, but I'm not sure who's on track 2, and they got someone singing an rnb hook on track 4 too??

Love the orignal vesion of "Mr. Everything" too w/ Main Flow and Donte.

Again, :cheers:

strategy786

Post by strategy786 »

Dang. This thread is the joint (Keep going yall). Big props for this.

I love Mood, but I hardly ever thought to look for more stuff beyond the Doom LP and the Mission Control comp.
Hobus Maguire wrote: I read a post way back where someone metioned a way to rip a youtube sound file to .mp3, anyone know how to do that?
Actually we discussed it here: http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1855520
I tested a few of them out and compared quality ease of use, etc. http://www.video2mp3.net/ was the dopest one to me.

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

Props man, I'll try 'em out.

Ay, do you know of any reliable program/website that can rip tracks from myspace as well?