Who is the most overrated producer ever?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Teddy C.D.

Who is the most overrated producer ever?

Post by Teddy C.D. »

My pick goes to Pharell Williams... Completely overrated and just flat out wack. I'm still trying to figure out what a N.E.R.D. is. Someone remind me when the Neptunes are relevant. I have nothing against people in the industry personally, but from a fan standpoint, damn...

Verge

Post by Verge »

Dre

thomasv

Post by thomasv »

Timbaland

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

Verge wrote:Dre
same.....

aleph

Post by aleph »

Verge wrote:Dre

nojiveturkey

Post by nojiveturkey »

dre. everyone , well it seems like everyone associates west coast hiphop wit this fool. there is more dope shit outta the west than his camp.
I dig the flaves

Requests
The Funk Farm - Pataphysical
The Funk Farm - The This Time Tape

step one

Post by step one »

I dunno how you can say Neptunes/Pharrell is overrrated. They did a lot of pop shit bbut some of the Hip Hop they came out with was game-changing. Basically their track record from 2000-2004 means they should be very much 'rated'.

I'd go with 9th Wonder. I like one or two things he's done but he was very over-hyped a few years back.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

J Dilla
9th Wonder

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

Timbaland

Boothe

Post by Boothe »

step one wrote:
I'd go with 9th Wonder. I like one or two things he's done but he was very over-hyped a few years back.
yup

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

dre

kimani

Post by kimani »

J Dilla, Timbaland and dude who was like Dre and claimed to be better...? whatever. I'm sorry Dilla died and everything, 'cause I'm not gonna wish death upon anyone, especially at a young age, but dying early doesn't equal being great, most of his stuff, especially after he started putting out solo records, was really quite poor.

As for all the Dr. Dre votes I understand and I often flip flop, he's definitely overrated as far as pure quality of beats when compared to the top 10 producers of all time, but from 88-93 he was one of the most important producers in the game, and I mean one of the top 5 most important, the Death Row stuff was getting a little poppy and probably did not sit too well with the boom bappers, but the overall production quality on The Chronic and Doggystyle are phenomenal and paved the way for the modern rap game (not a good thing, obviously, but undoubtedly "important" and revolutionary).

9th Wonder does pretty much suck, based on what I've heard, but I probably don't pay enough attention to hear how high he is rated.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

I already expect to get a lot of hate for this opinion, but here we go (lol)... Right now, the most overrated producer I hear about is DJ Khalil.
As far as production techniques go, he's gifted, no doubt.
But I found 95% of his shit to be fuckin' BORING... I don't know, most of the times his music has the same effect on me than some chicks I know that be modelling : I'd rather fuck the girl next door than them, because even though they're pretty, they lack something. Nastiness maybe? lol

aleph

Post by aleph »

I was never feelin Alchemist. A good producer, but wouldn't be a blip on my top producers radar.

For clarification, being overrated does not have to = sucking. I think Dre is overrated in terms of greatness. He may be great but he's not AS GREAT as many believe. Some producers you have to judge on a different level than others.

step one

Post by step one »

Dre? I dont see how any producer with that many classic/significant albums to his name can be called overrated.

I was going to say Dilla but thought I'd be pissing in the wind.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Verge

Post by Verge »

With Dre, I completely separate his late 80's to early/mid 90's work from
everything after that everyone sweats to death. I don't think detox would or
could be good yet it seems to be the most anticipated album ever. He lost
me once he had that ultra too clean studio sound perfected.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

step one wrote:I dunno how you can say Neptunes/Pharrell is overrrated. They did a lot of pop shit bbut some of the Hip Hop they came out with was game-changing. Basically their track record from 2000-2004 means they should be very much 'rated'.

agree on neptunes and I have the same opinion on Timbaland. Their shit back then was game-changing and ill. But because of that i guess they do fall into the overrated category now since they've been mediocre at best the last few years. But then again, which producer hasn't? Which artist hasn't? Maybe with the exception of premo, and it's arguable premo himself has lost a touch or two compared to his past shit.

9th wonder's a good pick for overrated. Concur with J Dilla, madlib.... how about Dangermouse?

aleph

Post by aleph »

Verge wrote:With Dre, I completely separate his late 80's to early/mid 90's work from
everything after that everyone sweats to death. I don't think detox would or
could be good yet it seems to be the most anticipated album ever. He lost
me once he had that ultra too clean studio sound perfected.
Yeah, Dre got his greatness on for only a few lps. Certainly the NWA output, No One Does It Better, Doggystyle and maybe half of The Chronic.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Kanye West.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Cosign 9th wonder.

Pharrell? You must be kidding...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Neptunes_discography

Verge

Post by Verge »

^I'll give him props for making his own sound but I never liked his sound.
:megaman:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Beatminerz.

::ducks::

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Dilla

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Dilla, but it's unfortunate because he is great, but like most people who die young, he gets a lot of praise.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

vermillion wrote:Dilla, but it's unfortunate because he is great, but like most people who die young, he gets a lot of praise.
to be fair he got a lot of praise during his lifetime. I remember reading kanye west saying dilla was his "favorite producer" around the time of Common's 'Be', and virtually everyone was saying fantastic vol.2 was classic album way before he died. it's inevitable the market got saturated with his leftover material after his death, and not entirely his fault. dying doesn't necessarily equal heaps of unwarranted praise, I mean how many people are now walking round saying mc breed was the best to ever do it...

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Timberland is not only overrated, he's also shit.

Thun

Post by Thun »

WTF @ people listing Timberland and Pharell? The fuck?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:WTF @ people listing Timberland and Pharell? The fuck?
for real.
they may not be people's flavor but those two changed the game in the earlier part of this century. They made mainstream hip hop listenable for almost 5 years. That in itself is pretty amazing to me.

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

Kanye West sucks a fat dick. Bootleg RZA chipmunk soul chops and (by his own admission) jacked open drums from Pete Rock and Dr. Dre. Lame.
http://duffmancantbreathe.blogspot.com
Funk, hip hop, soul, psychedelic, reggae and blues reviews and downloads.

Eyedea

Post by Eyedea »

9th wonder
kanye
pharell