so is there really gonna be another Artifacts LP?

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Verge

so is there really gonna be another Artifacts LP?

Post by Verge »

but mainly, if so, will they get the same production skwad as the first 2 times around? If so, I'm all ears, yo, and hoping they don't flop like most others. all I've heard are rumors, nothing from the artists so it could all be here-say and they could just be getting some quick tour money or some shit.

Other mods feel free to lock this, I've just been bombarded by these rumors for a while now and in the last couple of days the blog posts about the duo have been running rampant:

1st we got the both of them performing Artifacts songs together as the Artifacts at the most recent Rocksteady Re-Union jam:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hm0RbpOpgM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hm0RbpOpgM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrPa5KAJepw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RrPa5KAJepw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oosm1YSQ1jo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oosm1YSQ1jo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

damn this shit was like 20 minutes from where I rest and I missed it...fuuuuuuu..

Tame interview here today:
http://thekoolskool.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -boom.html

Artifacts performed today together at Fat Beats:
http://artofdiggin.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... edule.html

Another Tame interview today at Wax Poetics:
http://www.waxpoetics.com/2010/08/tame-one/

Okay well that's all the proof I can find off hand just from my google reader search, so I think it's looking optimistic.

There were past rumors within the last year that made me think this too, but I got too many dead brain cells to recall.

If anyone can add on, please do. If not, :lock: or we could just make this into an Official Artifacts thread.

And oh yeah, this artwork is real:(from one of those interviews)
Except they didn't do it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Don't think so.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Damn, I hope so. Although, I gotta admit a lot of artists from the TROY era often sound a little awkward on newer joints. Of course, TROY era is still the best (obv.) so it doesn't really bother me... Just saying.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Why in the fuck would anyone want to hear a new LP from these two? They broke up on a high note. Let it die.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Thun wrote:Why in the fuck would anyone want to hear a new LP from these two? They broke up on a high note. Let it die.
This.

Tame is completely burnt and I don't exactly have high hopes for El Da Sensai holding an Artifacts album together on his own. In fact, I have absolutely no desire to hear any new Artifacts material in 2010. Or ever.

These guys have two near-classic albums under their belt. Let 'em keep doing "reunion" shows like the Rock Steady and Fat Beats jams.

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

I watched an El Da Sensei interview last week where he said it was definitely happening and they were working on it already. He kept talking about all the amazing guest spots that were going to be on it, which totally turned me off... the reason why their two albums are so good is because there are very few guests...

Can't remember for the life of me what site the interview was on...

aREAL

Post by aREAL »

I think they're working on a new Artifacts album.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

aREAL wrote:Wops
:omgracist:

Verge

Post by Verge »

Echo Leader wrote:
aREAL wrote:Wops
:omgracist:
:lol:

Just trying to stir up some posters, get the forum back on track. Personally, I would preview a new Artifacts LP, but I doubt it would be good. I was never a fan of their solo stuff and they can never do another album like the first two.
Different times and all that.
Wouldn't mind seeing them live together though.

Nav

Post by Nav »

Echo Leader wrote:
Thun wrote:Why in the fuck would anyone want to hear a new LP from these two? They broke up on a high note. Let it die.
This.

Tame is completely burnt and I don't exactly have high hopes for El Da Sensai holding an Artifacts album together on his own. In fact, I have absolutely no desire to hear any new Artifacts material in 2010. Or ever.
That's what I've been saying.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

el can't even hold a solo album together by himself

i'd rather hear more drugged up psychadelic tame rants than another artifacts album. let that shit rest respectfully
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

vaporized2

Re: so is there really gonna be another Artifacts LP?

Post by vaporized2 »

Verge wrote:but mainly, if so, will they get the same production skwad as the first 2 times around? If so, I'm all ears
over half of first album was by T-Ray, don't think he does much any more. last credit on discogs is a track on Ill Bill album from 2008 before that one or 2 beats a year

8ks

Post by 8ks »

damn what a lame ass crowd. you can say want you want about us but our crowds burn every place to the ground.

i for one would like to hear some new material from them. even if they deliver some mediocre stuff that wouldn't degrade their other effords imo. if they wanna make music, just let them make music, and stop the hatin'

Versive

Post by Versive »

In that Wax interview Tame mentions that Redman could be the Exec Producer behind the next Artifacts project. I can't see how anyone wouldn't want to hear this.

Versive

Post by Versive »

8ks wrote:damn what a lame ass crowd. you can say want you want about us but our crowds burn every place to the ground.

i for one would like to hear some new material from them. even if they deliver some mediocre stuff that wouldn't degrade their other effords imo. if they wanna make music, just let them make music, and stop the hatin'
WORD

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

I would love to see Redman help out with this. Give us some more Artifacts.

Mad Human

Post by Mad Human »

I can bet they will compare with 50 cent, what they do nowadays is way shitty
YOUTUBE RARE INDIES - http://www.youtube.com/user/MadHuman09

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Artifacts sound and style was very much a product of the era in which it was made. It doesn't transcend at all. Leave it in '95.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Who says that they'll keep making 90s-era hip-hop? I haven't listened to much El, but Tame has certainly evolved since then and I for one enjoy almost all of his newer stuff. That whole "leave it alone / don't tarnish the legacy" mentality is garbage.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Versive wrote:Who says that they'll keep making 90s-era hip-hop? I haven't listened to much El, but Tame has certainly evolved since then and I for one enjoy almost all of his newer stuff. That whole "leave it alone / don't tarnish the legacy" mentality is garbage.
Oh, you're right! I didn't look at it that way. How enlightening.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there?

Versive

Post by Versive »

For real though, I think it's just a defeatist view of things. Like "Oh, that's as good as it's gonna get." I just can't understand why you or anyone would expect shitty music from a group that was so good.

Also, pigeon-holing like that (saying their sound doesn't transcend) seems a bit elitist, as if you the fan know the artists' limitations better than they do.

Mad Human

Post by Mad Human »

Versive wrote: I just can't understand why you or anyone would expect shitty music from a group that was so good.
Let me give you some examples for guys who were good and now are rubbish :

All Wu Tang members
Snoop - he was pretty good in early 90`s but what about now?
X Zibit
Busta Rhymes
Mobb Deep
Big Noyd

and many more.

Do not think Artifacts will be еxception, if i take the last Tame releases
YOUTUBE RARE INDIES - http://www.youtube.com/user/MadHuman09

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Versive wrote:
8ks wrote:damn what a lame ass crowd. you can say want you want about us but our crowds burn every place to the ground.

WORD
I agree with these two, and 8ks has always been one of the most rational posters on :phila: . While I agree that their old music was very much entwined with the era it came from, I don't see what the big deal is if they make something new--hit or miss. I'll check it out for curiosity's sake--and if it isn't good, then ignore it. Screw the "legacy" drama; I'm still an Ultramag fan after 2007's Best Kept Secret.....

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Thun wrote:The Artifacts sound and style was very much a product of the era in which it was made. It doesn't transcend at all. Leave it in '95.
yes how dare they even consider making a new album. I mean the nerve.

lately you seem to come in every thread just to shut it down, metaphorically or literally. it's quite amusing though...

Thun

Post by Thun »

vaporized2 wrote:
Thun wrote:The Artifacts sound and style was very much a product of the era in which it was made. It doesn't transcend at all. Leave it in '95.
yes how dare they even consider making a new album. I mean the nerve.

lately you seem to come in every thread just to shut it down, metaphorically or literally. it's quite amusing though...
Awesome, dun.

Hey, enjoy your new Artifacts album. I'm sure it will be classic and won't be another piece of shit taking up space. It will do nothing but bolster their legacy and I'm sure all of you have every intention of spending real money to buy an actual copy.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Versive wrote: as if you the fan know the artists' limitations better than they do.
considering the fan (not thun specifically, the fan in general) is the ultimate and most decisive arbiter of the quality of the product, he is also the one best equipped to judge the artist's limitation. the artists themselves are actually often pretty bad at recognizing their own boundaries, which is why many established ones often fail when trying to expermient and expand beyond their trademark style.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Versive

Post by Versive »

^Good point Drizzle, but Tame is such a unique mc it's tough to judge. At least that's what I think.

As far as I can predict a new Artifacts project would be sick, just like everything Tame puts out. Most fans will enjoy it and some jaded cynics will continue to hate.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Thun wrote:I'm sure all of you have every intention of spending real money to buy an actual copy.
Where is this coming from? I happen to spend a fair chuck of change every month on music thank you very much. Why are you all of a sudden pointing the finger at all of us? This weaksauce diatribe is getting old Thun.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

diggy64 wrote:
Thun wrote:I'm sure all of you have every intention of spending real money to buy an actual copy.
Where is this coming from? I happen to spend a fair chuck of change every month on music thank you very much. Why are you all of a sudden pointing the finger at all of us? This weaksauce diatribe is getting old Thun.
:lol: :naswtf: