Eric B & Rakim and the production mysteries

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

claaa7

Eric B & Rakim and the production mysteries

Post by claaa7 »

Eric B. & Rakim did some of the four finest hip-hop albums of all time, from "Paid in Full" to "Don't Sweat The Technique", but just like back in those days who really produced what could be a real questionmark and the Eric and Ra LPs were the "worst kind" in that matter.

i've did some very extensive search over the years on this topic since I'm a beat head. we all know Prince C was involved in "Let The Rhythm...", but do you know which three tracks he actually produce???

or that The Bomb Squad produced "Juice" and Rashad Smith produced alot on "Don't Sweat the Technique" (incl. the title track amongst others). this is an article i wrote a long time ago but i think it came out good, well-written and very interesting so if you're a beat fanatic like me i think you will like this.

feedback much appreciated, read it here:

http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... eries.html
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

good read, Large Pro was definitely behind alot of production for Rakim as well as G Rap.
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I say you retire that blog and join TROY.

Thun

Post by Thun »

You pretty much covered all of the existing rumors. The only one that was new to me was Rashad Smith.

Eric B was an incredible extortionist.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yeah Eric B was the original Suge Knight, which makes sense given their friendship and Eric solely being responsible for the failed Death Row East.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

good read.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:Yeah Eric B was the original Suge Knight, which makes sense given their friendship and Eric solely being responsible for the failed Death Row East.
Wait, did that really happen?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:I say you retire that blog and join TROY.
Word. Why not?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Yeah Eric B was the original Suge Knight, which makes sense given their friendship and Eric solely being responsible for the failed Death Row East.
Wait, did that really happen?
It did. I even want to say there was an ad in either The Source or Rap Pages that featured Eric B behind a desk and the title of the ad read "coming soon Death Row East."

Thun

Post by Thun »

That's pretty amazing. Did anything get released? If so we might have to recruit Eric Barrier for another interview.

DJMIKENICE

Post by DJMIKENICE »

wasn't Big Daddy Kane allegdly signed to Death Row East
KING OF DA CRATES

WWW.VENOMRECORDS.COM

LOOKING FOR RARE TREATS AND GEMS
CHECK HERE
http://djmikenice.blogspot.com/

Dragondude R

Post by Dragondude R »

^I thought Tupac was creating a new mainly East Coast label b4 he died with Big Daddy Kane and Buckshot on it

Was that this "Death Row East"?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:That's pretty amazing. Did anything get released? If so we might have to recruit Eric Barrier for another interview.
Nothing did get released. BDK was suppose to be apart of it and I think the One Nation was supposedly going to be one of the first releases.

Again, don't quote me but I also think Craig Mack or some then popular east coast artists were also suppose to be apart it it too.

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

ehh why would i get rid of my blog that alot of people appreciate. not only on TROY, but my friends, and people at other forums as welll.

why can't i have my blog and be a member of TROY hahah.

yeah Large Pro produced "Wanted Dead Or Alive", maybe not 100% of it but at least 90% of it. the tracks credited to DJ Polo and Anton was produced by Large Pro, every song that was credited to Eric B was of course laced by Large Pro and even "Talk Like Sex" was done by Extra P despite the credits saying it was a Kool G Rap production. (listen to Large's second album on the song "Large Professor" where he mentions alot of songs he produced including "Talk Like Sex" and "Hyperdermix".

i think the only song he didn't produce on from that album was "Erase Racism".

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

claaa7 wrote:ehh why would i get rid of my blog that alot of people appreciate. not only on TROY, but my friends, and people at other forums as welll.

Relax, it was a harmless comment. I'm sure people do appreciate your blog but maybe you'd reach a larger audience on a more established and eye-appealing blog like ours. If anything, it was a compliment to you.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Craig Mack was linked to Death Row, remember hearing that.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

Interesting stuff, never heard about Rashad Smith producing on the album before. If I remember correctly K-Solo was also supposed to be on Death Row East.

step one

Post by step one »

Krisch wrote: If I remember correctly K-Solo was also supposed to be on Death Row East.
yeah, that would've been through the Sam Sneed connection.
I think some Wu Tang artists were meant to be involved as well
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Krisch

Post by Krisch »

step one wrote:
Krisch wrote: If I remember correctly K-Solo was also supposed to be on Death Row East.
yeah, that would've been through the Sam Sneed connection.
I think some Wu Tang artists were meant to be involved as well
Exactly. Here's an interesting interview with Sam Sneed on Money B's podcast, where he also talks about his situation with K-Solo:

http://moneyb69.podomatic.com/player/we ... 7_54-08_00

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

Philaflava wrote:
claaa7 wrote:ehh why would i get rid of my blog that alot of people appreciate. not only on TROY, but my friends, and people at other forums as welll.

Relax, it was a harmless comment. I'm sure people do appreciate your blog but maybe you'd reach a larger audience on a more established and eye-appealing blog like ours. If anything, it was a compliment to you.
sorry man, it can be hard to tell if someone is dissing you over the net, especially when you're new somewhere like i am here but i see what you mean so thx.

i will definitely contribute to the TROY forum as well but i will also keep on with The Lost Tapes and i hope y'all who find my posts interesting will continue to read my blog too. peace

EDIT: damn i totally forgot that the TROY Blog is an actual site that i visit from time to time, that's really dope. i thought you meant i should retire my blog to write posts on this forum lol. but now i get ya, thx alot for that man!

thebridgeisover

Post by thebridgeisover »

Greg Nice was also on a buncha those One Nation tracks along with BBC, Kane, and maybe a random Fredddie Foxxx appearance (curious how those Pac tracks were intended to sound vs their bootleg-released conditions).

This thread remindeds me... wasnt there a mid-to late 90s deathrow release that had a pull out front CD cover that unfolded and had a big bootleg looking painting of the "whole" death row roster? It had Hammer and K-Solo (?), and some other "new" death row artists on it. Can anyone produce this? Im burning up Google with no luck. Im curious to see it again.

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

thebridgeisover wrote:This thread remindeds me... wasnt there a mid-to late 90s deathrow release that had a pull out front CD cover that unfolded and had a big bootleg looking painting of the "whole" death row roster? It had Hammer and K-Solo (?), and some other "new" death row artists on it. Can anyone produce this? Im burning up Google with no luck. Im curious to see it again.
That pic's from Death Row's Greatest Hits from 1996

Hammer yes, but no K-Solo there (although he is mentioned as the new Death Row artist in the album credits).

Legendary

Post by Legendary »

Didn't know about this. Good write up.

thebridgeisover

Post by thebridgeisover »

Bigg Boss Luciano wrote:
thebridgeisover wrote:This thread remindeds me... wasnt there a mid-to late 90s deathrow release that had a pull out front CD cover that unfolded and had a big bootleg looking painting of the "whole" death row roster? It had Hammer and K-Solo (?), and some other "new" death row artists on it. Can anyone produce this? Im burning up Google with no luck. Im curious to see it again.
That pic's from Death Row's Greatest Hits from 1996

Hammer yes, but no K-Solo there (although he is mentioned as the new Death Row artist in the album credits).

Thanks Luciano! Yeah, that two disc greatest hits set! I knew I had put Solo in there for some reason. Thanks again.