Prince Paul's "Psychoanalysis"

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

claaa7

Prince Paul's "Psychoanalysis"

Post by claaa7 »

I remember absolutely hating this the first time i gave it a spin but it definitely came to grow on me. very weird shit tho, full of crazy samples from TV shows, all kinds of records this was a concept record that was far as successful as "Prince Among Thieves" but it does features many dope beats for sure. what's your thoughts on this album? also, why was it released twice on two different labels.. i think first WordSound and then on Tommy Boy with a few additional tracks.

i'm also wondering if it was ever released as an instrumental LP? much of the album is instrumental but i would definitely have prefered the entire thing to be since the rapping on this is absolutely horrendous? who the hell was these cats anyways haha. "Beautiful Night" was pretty funny tho
http://www.claaa7.blogspot.com

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

claaa7

Re: Prince Paul's "Psychoanalysis"

Post by claaa7 »

claaa7 wrote:I remember absolutely hating this the first time i gave it a spin but it definitely came to grow on me. very weird shit tho, full of crazy samples from TV shows and all kinds of records, this was a concept that was far as successful as "Prince Among Thieves" but it does features many dope beats for sure. what's your thoughts on this album? also, why was it released twice on two different labels.. i think first WordSound and then on Tommy Boy with a few additional tracks.

i'm also wondering if it was ever released as an instrumental LP? much of the album is instrumental but i would definitely have prefered the entire thing to be since the rapping on this is absolutely horrendous? who the hell was these cats anyways haha. "Beautiful Night" was pretty funny tho

^ best compilations on the net, daily updates with news, singles, rarities, all True School hip-hop ^

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

Love that album. The Drinks beat is haunting. The Schooly D parody cracks me up. That's Entertainment cracks me the fuck up every time. The Bitch Blues is hilarious and the Muddy Waters sample works. Prince Paul rhymes on Psycho Linguistics. The Automator Beautiful Night remix is great too.
http://duffmancantbreathe.blogspot.com
Funk, hip hop, soul, psychedelic, reggae and blues reviews and downloads.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

I love this record. I have the Word sound cd and the Tommy boy lp.

Some cracker got to slam dancing a little too hard. So I snapped his neck. Cracker just dropped....

I meed to revisit this one good call...

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Love this record...Booty Clap beats Kicked Out the House for most on point parody ever, and even the outro joint is a fucking banger.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

I listen to this more often than Prince Among Thieves now. I'm not saying it is a better album, but the tracks stand well on their own.

Versive

Post by Versive »

If Booty Clap dropped today for the first time it wouldn't really be funny. It'd be like a real song.

Da Me

Post by Da Me »

I remember absolutely hating this the first time i gave it a spin
Yeah, some of the comedy/parody aspect escaped me.
If Booty Clap dropped today for the first time it wouldn't really be funny. It'd be like a real song.
I didn't really realize this was a parody, that's why I hated the album.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Versive wrote:If Booty Clap dropped today for the first time it wouldn't really be funny. It'd be like a real song.
oh it was right on time when it dropped. All that was missing was 95 South's Logo and Jay-Ski doing adlibs. The bass was naaaaaasty though!

claaa7

Post by claaa7 »

yeah it's a definite grower, i bet it throw a lot of people off the first time hearing it. very different record, but Paul is the fucking master of different records lol.

sometimes i wish he would be able to stop himself a little tho, working with the same sound for just a little longer. he seems to have this need that whenever he's done with one project he won't revisit that sound again. it's cool tho, cuz he's definitely the most versatile producer in hip hop in that way if you ask me.

Wreck-It

Post by Wreck-It »

Haven't listened to this album in years. Dope......but strange, and I like it like that sometimes. Anyway, Prince P. is a legend and there are way too many motherfuckers that don't recognize his dopeness, it kinda pisses me off actually. Too many kids going around riding Madlib and JayDee's nutsack, while they haven't even heard a fraction of Paul's catalogue, let alone any of his De La produced efforts..... fuck outta here. Sorry, felt like venting.

Thun

Post by Thun »

OMG A PRINCE PAUL ALBUM HAS COMEDY AND SATIRE WHO WOULDA THUNK IT????????????????????????????????????