DSD:Digable Planets/O.C./Scarface/Twista

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Choose the winner.

Blowout Comb.
9%
The Diary.
29%
Resurrection.
3%
Word...Life.
59%

Total votes: 58

TheBigSleep

DSD:Digable Planets/O.C./Scarface/Twista

Post by TheBigSleep »

Tuesday, October 14th, 1994.

Four LPs: Digable Planets' sophomore, on Pendulum / EMI, O.C.'s debut, through Wild Pitch, Scarface's third, via Rap-A-Lot Records and Twista's second, on Atlantic Records.

Pick your favorite and / or the best album, doesn't matter.

Previous Dropped Same Day(s):

36 Chambers vs. Midnight Marauders.
Runaway Slave vs. Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop vs. Whut? Thee Album.
'93 'til Infinity vs. 187 He Wrote vs. Return of the Boom Bap.
Last edited by TheBigSleep on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

I feel like a str8 bitch for not picking Scarface.

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Scarface all day.
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

I can't talk to my mother, so I talk to my diary.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

OK...so who chose Blowout Comb? And why?

I'm not saying that it's a worse record, or the wrong choice. It's a dope record and obviously someone prefers it over Scarface. But these polls are a waste of time if people just vote and don't explain their opinions. This isn't P&B, no one's going to call you names.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

CRASH DDZ wrote:I feel like a straight bitch for not picking Scarface.
Hah, yeah, this one kinda reminds me of last week's, with Souls against KRS. I like that it's three non-New York artists for once. I told you guys these polls are gonna start gettin' weird. Twista is only there since he did technically drop that day and I like when there are three choices, if only for the potential to split the vote.
chiefbombpro wrote:Scarface all day.
Definitely gonna be the most popular answer.
Echo Leader wrote:I can't talk to my mother, so I talk to my diary.
One of the only albums to get a perfect rating from both The Source and XXL.
Echo Leader wrote:Okay...so who chose Blowout Comb? And why? I'm not saying that it's a worse record, or the wrong choice. It's a dope record and obviously someone prefers it over Scarface. But these polls are a waste of time if people just vote and don't explain their opinions. This isn't P&B, no one's going to call you names.
Agreed, people's reasoning is the worthwhile part. I'm surprised Blowout Comb is doing that well so far (forty percent at the moment).

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

TheBigSleep wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:Okay...so who chose Blowout Comb? And why? I'm not saying that it's a worse record, or the wrong choice. It's a dope record and obviously someone prefers it over Scarface. But these polls are a waste of time if people just vote and don't explain their opinions. This isn't P&B, no one's going to call you names.
Agreed, people's reasoning is the worthwhile part. I'm surprised Blowout Comb is doing that well so far (forty percent at the moment).
I just don't understand I guess. Simply seeing someone pick Digable over 'Face makes me want to revisit Blowout Comb, but I'd be more pressed to do it if whoever's voting gave reasoning for said choice.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

blowout comb is a great great album that doesnt get its just due because of its piss poor recording level...not that it isnt a fair criticism but if you just rate it by purely the beats and rhymes its definitely better than the diary

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

clark bent wrote:blowout comb is a great great album that doesnt get its just due because of its piss poor recording level...not that it isnt a fair criticism but if you just rate it by purely the beats and rhymes its definitely better than the diary
I've heard the gripes about sound quality before...now I definitely want to go back, check it out, and see how it holds up.

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Only track I genuinely dig from Blowout was Borough Check. Everything else I was underwhelmed by.
I go back to The Diary at least once a week.
"I Seen A Man Die" and "Hand Of The Dead Body" >>>> Anything on Blowout Comb

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

The Diary is one of my like top 10-15 rap albums ever. So - not the other two.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Hah, yeah, this was the only one so far where I was pretty confident I knew how the results would end up. I'm runnin' out of good match ups though. I have one more for next week and maybe a couple others that are half decent but that's about it.

Fritz

Post by Fritz »

Murder was the Case OST dropped in the same week I remember, but my vote goes out to Scarface

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I voted 'The Diary,' which (Depending on the day) is my favorite rap album of all time. Other days it's the Odd Squad record, but I digress.

'The Diary' is flawless. I did a write-up on it a year ago for Spectrum Culture - http://spectrumculture.com/2011/03/redi ... iary.html/
TheBigSleep wrote:Hah, yeah, this was the only one so far where I was pretty confident I knew how the results would end up. I'm runnin' out of good match ups though. I have one more for next week and maybe a couple others that are half decent but that's about it.
If you would ever want to include '98 or '99 in these polls, there's still some great match-ups to be had.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

gotta go with The Diary. That was Scarface at his best opinon. So many good tracks.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Echo Leader wrote:Now I definitely want to go back, check it out and see how it holds up.
:cheers: Revisiting appears to be a central theme of this series.
Fritz wrote:Murder Was the Case OST dropped in the same week I remember...
That's true and worth mentioning, good call. The poll however, if only for the sake of comparison, will remain strictly for LPs.

Which reminds me, another first for Dropped Same Day is none of these are debuts. It's second and third albums from non-New York artists on different labels, by '94.
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:If you would ever want to include '98 or '99 in these polls, there's still some great match-ups to be had.
I'm definitely not opposed to that at all, in fact, I've been working my way towards the later nineties anyway.

As long as it's multiple hip hop albums from the T.R.O.Y. era (which goes up through at least '99) that had the same release date, then I'm down.

And feel free to get at me if you have specific ideas in mind. That goes for whoever.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

the diary.. my favorite scarface album which is saying a lot. i've literally never heard of that twista album ..
illegal mind shoe lace

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Uh, so guys, in case you hadn't noticed yet, I fucked up. Well, I fucked up a couple times already (plus the voting system / my internet was being a bitch). But this fuck up means I'm deading everything and we're startin' over. Only way I could think of doin' it.

Somehow we all forgot O.C.'s Word...Life.

I went back to double check all the dates and then made the connection. I was just looking at when that dropped too. My memory and Google searching both initially failed me (one of the potential flaws of this series) and nobody else pointed it out. I knew somethin' was missin' too. Well I wasn't gonna make the thread twice so here's a potential do over for anybody still interested.

It definitely makes for a more interesting match up now, sorry for being an idiot. I'm gonna be more thorough with the extensive (re)searching in the future.

I'm leaving all the original comments but feel free to vote again. Or not, I understand either way.

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

O.C.'s album is a classic but, I still gotta go with "The Diary". For personal reasons, of course.

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

OC for sure, though the Digable and Scarface albums are great too... I've never heard the Twista album, worth checking?

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah, this is better, The Diary needed somethin' like Word...Life to battle it for one of the better '94 records.
EichTurner wrote:I've literally never heard of that Twista album.
Not surprised. It was out of print for a while and when it was first released it was only available in Chicago, even though it was on Atlantic. Probably had something to do with Common's album with the same name dropping a week later. It's only really famous for a Naughty by Nature dis track anyway. The first time around it only got one vote. I don't think anybody is really championing it as anything.

Here are the hip hop album I missed from the earlier entries:

K7's Swing Batta Swing was released the same day as Enter the 36 and Midnight Marauders. Don't think it would've changed the results of that series, I'm not even gonna go back and add it in, it's a joke.

But then there's Da Lench Mob's Guerillas in tha Mist the same day as Diamond, Red and Show & A's debuts. Don't exactly know what to do about that, I might add it in after the fact...? Fuck.

Hi-C's Swing'n was the same as Souls, KRS and Spice, not gonna bother with that either.

And I'll make sure we don't have to deal with this shit again next time around.

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

tough poll.. Word Life has some crazy standouts (title track, pointz ov view) plus some I don't rate that much. blowout comb has a consistent vibe from start to finish but is a bit soft on the ears. the diary is an album I've heard about twice ever, all I remember is Seen A Man Die. The Twista album is like Word Life, some killer some filler

this is the best track on that twista IMO, reminds me of some of the darker mid 90s godfather don stuff

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGYF-cLJlxU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGYF-cLJlxU?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

Word...Life.

Tim Burton

Post by Tim Burton »

Still "The Diary" but made me stop and think for a bit.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

Tim Burton wrote:Still "The Diary" but made me stop and think for a bit.
illegal mind shoe lace

Debonair_P

Post by Debonair_P »

vaporized2 wrote:tough poll.. Word Life has some crazy standouts (title track, pointz ov view) plus some I don't rate that much. blowout comb has a consistent vibe from start to finish but is a bit soft on the ears. the diary is an album I've heard about twice ever, all I remember is Seen A Man Die. The Twista album is like Word Life, some killer some filler

this is the best track on that twista IMO, reminds me of some of the darker mid 90s godfather don stuff

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGYF-cLJlxU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGYF-cLJlxU?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
That Suicide joint is dope, thanks - just bought a copy of the 12". Definitely reminds me of some Godfather Don. Doesn't look like the album was ever released on wax but will try to check out the rest of it.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Yeah that's the Naughty by Nature dis track I was referring to.

As always, thanks to everybody voting.

Looks like (for now at least) people prefer O.C.'s album to Scarface's approximately two to one and people prefer Scarface's to Digable Planet's about two to one and hardly anyone even rates the Twista album.

However, all that still has time to change as this continues to play out.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Still voted 'The Diary' and didn't need to think much at all, although I really enjoy that O.C. album a great deal.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Bigg Boss Luciano

Post by Bigg Boss Luciano »

Tim Burton wrote:Still "The Diary" but made me stop and think for a bit.
Same here... pretty much everythin' Rap-A-Lot dropped till '97 was dope, imo.

Suicide is my fav. diss record and the album is dope, but can't compete with Face & O.C.

Digable Planets... one dude's name is Butterfly, lol... nuff said (btw I heard both of their albums... got really depressed, lol)

vaporized2

Post by vaporized2 »

Debonair_P wrote:
That Suicide joint is dope, thanks - just bought a copy of the 12". Definitely reminds me of some Godfather Don. Doesn't look like the album was ever released on wax but will try to check out the rest of it.
link in case you can't find it elsewhere. pretty sure I got it off this place a few years back anyway
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tqx5ak

weird how this doesn't sound anything like Twista's other albums before or after, emceeing or the beats. not really into his warp-speed rapping stuff