Thun's old radio show/webcast

Reminisce about the golden era of hip-hop.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, djfilthyrich

Dunnnnleavy

Thun's old radio show/webcast

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

are all of those completely lost in space? do you possibly have any of them saved somewhere in some form? i loved those things...i remember everyone like razzamooloo goin bonkers listening to all the dope shit.
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I would also love hearing some of these again.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

:upload:

S.DeEzY4O8

Post by S.DeEzY4O8 »

???
Raymundo Presents...
The Wicked Takeover on MHz
90.1fm KZSU Stanford College Radio
Every 1st & 3rd Sunday 10pm - 12am PST
Listen Online: http://kzsu.stanford.edu
Station #: 650-723-9010
http://www.MHzRadio.com

I spin REAL Hiphop live in the mix using 2 turntables, a mixer, and all original vinyl... No mp3's & no computers.

Thun

Post by Thun »

S.DeEzY4O8 wrote:???
Don't stress it, dude. I had a show on WPRB Princeton for a minute but I played CDs and mp3s. You would have nothing but horrible things to say about it.

The playlists are still up. Some guy that used to tape Verge's show has a few tapes of mine apparently, but for the most part, this is done and over with.

S.DeEzY4O8

Post by S.DeEzY4O8 »

That's fine it's over with, but I'm still curious to hear your show.

And wow, Verge had a show too??? I wanna hear that too...
Raymundo Presents...
The Wicked Takeover on MHz
90.1fm KZSU Stanford College Radio
Every 1st & 3rd Sunday 10pm - 12am PST
Listen Online: http://kzsu.stanford.edu
Station #: 650-723-9010
http://www.MHzRadio.com

I spin REAL Hiphop live in the mix using 2 turntables, a mixer, and all original vinyl... No mp3's & no computers.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

S.DeEzY4O8 wrote:That's fine it's over with, but I'm still curious to hear your show.

I think you'd be surprised at how many users in this forum probably had radio shows at one point or another. Shit, I used to have one in my first two years at SJC (Maine) before they shut it down due to lack of interest, funding, and a broken transmitter. Got a couple of tapes somewhere.

Unfortunately, people just don't care about terrestrial radio anymore unless you webstream, and that's a pretty grey area for "terrestrial" in itself. In my freshman year (2005), we had something like 10 or 15 shows, which was a lot for the size of the school. By the time they shut WSJB down, there were only 3 or 4 shows left, including my own show and the homie Big Mike's (who lurks here under the name somedevil) show.

It really sucked because we used to have hella fun making those shows, despite feeling like Christian Slater in "Pump Up The Volume" due to the state of the equipment. Mixing boards and turntables from the 70's, and the rest of the equipment hadn't been updated since the early 90's. We even had an 8-track recorder so we could record our own show promos. Seriously some bootleg-ass shit, but we had a good time.

One of my predecessors from the late 90's had actually contacted both Priority and Tommy Boy Records and been able to accumulate a huge grip of promo vinyl including a bunch Ras Kass singles from the "Van Gogh" and "Goldyn Chyld" era, a few Rawkus pieces, and some Natural Elements singles from the Tommy Boy Black days. There was even an RA the Rugged Man white-label with "Stanley Kubrick" on one side and "What the Fuck" on the other. When the station uncermoniously shut down I found all the vinyl in a garbage bag outside of the station door and immediately swooped up anything worth taking. There wasn't much aside from what little I mentioned above, but there were a few other joints, some Bahamadia and OC and basic mid-late 90's college radio fodder.

Anyways I know memories are all :arrow: and whatever but the point is it used to be really easy to get a radio show (especially in colleges) but people don't care about terrestrial radio anymore and it sucks.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

What we should do is all throw in a little cash and try to start up a Philaflava internet radio stream. There are a bunch of DJ's on here and a bunch of different styles of Hip Hop and other genres of music that people like here. I would def spin a couple of nights a week, like a classic hip hop show or a strictly 80's Hip Hop show, and then do a funk/soul/r&b show another night. I am sure some of you guys would like to have like an obscure underground show and others might like to spin like a new school set. I'd bet it would be a big hit all over the net and I bet that we could do it for not that much money if everyone threw in a bit. Just a thought. One way or another I am def interested in starting a live stream one or 2 nights a week.

Thun

Post by Thun »

pradadon wrote:What we should do is all throw in a little cash and try to start up a Philaflava internet radio stream. There are a bunch of DJ's on here and a bunch of different styles of Hip Hop and other genres of music that people like here. I would def spin a couple of nights a week, like a classic hip hop show or a strictly 80's Hip Hop show, and then do a funk/soul/r&b show another night. I am sure some of you guys would like to have like an obscure underground show and others might like to spin like a new school set. I'd bet it would be a big hit all over the net and I bet that we could do it for not that much money if everyone threw in a bit. Just a thought. One way or another I am def interested in starting a live stream one or 2 nights a week.
No.

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

haha :lol:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Echo Leader wrote:
S.DeEzY4O8 wrote:That's fine it's over with, but I'm still curious to hear your show.

I think you'd be surprised at how many users in this forum probably had radio shows at one point or another. Shit, I used to have one in my first two years at SJC (Maine) before they shut it down due to lack of interest, funding, and a broken transmitter. Got a couple of tapes somewhere.

Unfortunately, people just don't care about terrestrial radio anymore unless you webstream, and that's a pretty grey area for "terrestrial" in itself. In my freshman year (2005), we had something like 10 or 15 shows, which was a lot for the size of the school. By the time they shut WSJB down, there were only 3 or 4 shows left, including my own show and the homie Big Mike's (who lurks here under the name somedevil) show.

It really sucked because we used to have hella fun making those shows, despite feeling like Christian Slater in "Pump Up The Volume" due to the state of the equipment. Mixing boards and turntables from the 70's, and the rest of the equipment hadn't been updated since the early 90's. We even had an 8-track recorder so we could record our own show promos. Seriously some bootleg-ass shit, but we had a good time.

One of my predecessors from the late 90's had actually contacted both Priority and Tommy Boy Records and been able to accumulate a huge grip of promo vinyl including a bunch Ras Kass singles from the "Van Gogh" and "Goldyn Chyld" era, a few Rawkus pieces, and some Natural Elements singles from the Tommy Boy Black days. There was even an RA the Rugged Man white-label with "Stanley Kubrick" on one side and "What the Fuck" on the other. When the station uncermoniously shut down I found all the vinyl in a garbage bag outside of the station door and immediately swooped up anything worth taking. There wasn't much aside from what little I mentioned above, but there were a few other joints, some Bahamadia and OC and basic mid-late 90's college radio fodder.

Anyways I know memories are all :arrow: and whatever but the point is it used to be really easy to get a radio show (especially in colleges) but people don't care about terrestrial radio anymore and it sucks.
This thread takes me back. This website started as a promotional tool for my radio show. We did it for 5 1/2 years and stopped when we started having babies, getting married and realized just how much longer can we do college radio? Since then I've had absolutely zero interest in listening to any real radio show, be it college or commercial. If you ask me, when vinyl died, college radio died. Internet radio is cool for certain folks but the iPODs and Imeems of the world make listening to that pretty much pointless. Why be subjected to a personality you can't stand or tracks you don't prefer when you can control everything with just a few clicks?

step one

Post by step one »

Internet radio is cheap to set up but as a result its also a heavily saturated market and pretty much a waste of time imo.
Like Phila said, casual fans can get music at the same time as a DJ nowadays via blogs/boards etc so dont really have that need to check radio shows.

On top of all that theres no way we could compete with ACthePD's station :lol:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Philaflava wrote:
Why be subjected to a personality you can't stand or tracks you don't prefer when you can control everything with just a few clicks?
Very good point.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Philaflava wrote:If you ask me, when vinyl died, college radio died.
This is a really good point. Obviously, there are still a ton of people that listen to vinyl, and yes, albums are still being released on vinyl, but that doesn't mean that vinyl is not a "dead" format in radio terms. Yes, many DJs still use two turntables and a mixer as the medium for bringing music to listeners, but it ain't the same.

College radio shows like Stretch & Bob, Nighttrain, the Wake Up Show, and so many others owed a huge part of their respective followings to the fact that they would often play test-pressings and white-label joints they recieved straight from the artist themselves. You couldn't get that shit anywhere else. Along with the freestyle aspect, that was what made listening to college radio so appealing. On the whole, that format is no longer existent. I guarantee that no one anywhere is sitting next to their radio with their finger on the pause button.

Nowadays, in the era of blogs and zshare, the term "exclusive" has lost all meaning. A freestyle or a new track that goes up on Monday morning will be diffused across the entire 'net by early Monday evening. It's cheaper for the artist to release shit like this rather than press up vinyl promos and it's really what has caused the old college radio format to essentially become extinct.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Exactly, which is why the only reason I'd check out a radio show nowadays would be for the interview. And even that is a rarity. There is nothing a radio show can give you today that you can't get on your own. If you wanna hear some cool mixing then maybe. But we live in a self-absorbed world where if we did have a party or you wanna throw some music on while playing a video game, why wouldn't you just play your own music with your own iPOD or whatever mix you've recently done? Who has better taste than ourselves?

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

I honestly can't remember the last time I listened to the radio. I'm pretty sure I must have been a junior in high school. I know the local urban station used to have a pretty dope early-90's lunch hour thing and they definitely used to play exclusives. Not a bad station, IMO, because they focused more heavily on the rap end of things and didn't really play a lot of watered-down R&B crap.

Anyway, it was definitely before the advent of blogs, so unless something leaked to a P2P network you weren't hearing some of that shit outside of the radio. Ha, I remember one "exclusive" being the "first single" off of that Birdman & R. Kelly "Best of Both Worlds 2" record that never materialized. Jesus.

Thread has kinda taken a turn for the depressing.

step one

Post by step one »

i miss the days of checking radio shows. it was good having a tastemaker who could (hopefully) filter out all the crap and give you a couple of hours of dope music.
One of the main reasons I dont really listen to new music/artists is because of the sheer volume of it that available. I used to try and keep up but cant so fuck it. Im probably missing out on some good stuff but theres not enough hours in the day to find it.

although its easy to get the music these days the one thing you cant replicate is the 'element of suprise' that radio offers. you never knew what was coming next, especially with studio guests freestyling and stuff. Westwood would nearly always start his old friday night show off with a big exclusive so you had to have the tapes ready. I still remember hearing joints like 'Dre Day', 'Juicy', 'Flava In Ya Ear' etc for the first time

anyway, rant over.

Thun

Post by Thun »

step one wrote:i miss the days of checking radio shows. it was good having a tastemaker who could (hopefully) filter out all the crap and give you a couple of hours of dope music.
One of the main reasons I dont really listen to new music/artists is because of the sheer volume of it that available. I used to try and keep up but cant so fuck it. Im probably missing out on some good stuff but theres not enough hours in the day to find it.

although its easy to get the music these days the one thing you cant replicate is the 'element of suprise' that radio offers. you never knew what was coming next, especially with studio guests freestyling and stuff. Westwood would nearly always start his old friday night show off with a big exclusive so you had to have the tapes ready. I still remember hearing joints like 'Dre Day', 'Juicy', 'Flava In Ya Ear' etc for the first time

anyway, rant over.
Even though all of this true, I still don't want anyone to attempt to revive the salad days of radio.

step one

Post by step one »

Thun wrote:
step one wrote:i miss the days of checking radio shows. it was good having a tastemaker who could (hopefully) filter out all the crap and give you a couple of hours of dope music.

anyway, rant over.
Even though all of this true, I still don't want anyone to attempt to revive the salad days of radio.
of course not. probably best to lock this before AC or Wicked22 gets involved.

Thun

Post by Thun »

step one wrote:
Thun wrote:

anyway, rant over.
of course not. probably best to lock this before AC or Wicked22 gets involved.
Um, S.DeEzY4O8 is Wicked22...

weekdaywarrior

Post by weekdaywarrior »

maaan everytime i went out of state i used to find different ill college mixshows.. In middle school i had a friend who lived near Umass who gave me a copy of a show out there (first time i heard "Jungles of the east" by Scientifik) nowadays its nothing but terrible crap riding the airwaves..
College Radio sucks ass now too.. Peep what they got for hip hop on PRB: http://www.wprb.com/djplaylists.php?id=322
The playlist reads like a "Best of.." D-Block or Max B mixtape..

step one

Post by step one »

Thun wrote:
yeah, i know. I couldnt be fucked to check exactly what is new and improved multi fonted user-name is

Thun

Post by Thun »

step one wrote:
Thun wrote:
yeah, i know. I couldnt be fucked to check exactly what is new and improved multi fonted user-name is
\

Not saying you should care, just saying :lol: