Nintendo Wii

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Nintendo Wii

Post by Philaflava »

Not the U, whatever that is. I'm talking the real Wii.

I bought when it came out, road the hype train, played it for about 6 months and just yesterday was the first time I turned it on in years.

The Virtual Games are what I like because my old NES is crap but the titles are limited. Does anyone still play their Wii?

Sup with any hacks or downloadable shit like emulators that you can play on the Wii? I hate having to fight Mr Dream instead of :ironmike: .

Tommy Bunz

Re: Nintendo Wii

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Still play Wii resort regularly. Friday night pregame ritual with the homies.

Hush

Post by Hush »

1. Update your Wii to the latest firmware using the official update process in the settings menu.

2. Follow this: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup (using the Letterbomb hack from the list of hacks).

3. Now that you have the Homebrew Channel installed you can put emulators on the SD card and launch them from the HBC (find emu's here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators).

4. You'll need rom files for the games which you would put in the "roms" folder of the emulator you are using on the SD card (these would be just regular rom files, the same thing you would use with a PC emulator).

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:cheers:

Hush

Post by Hush »

Philaflava wrote::cheers:
So, did you get it done? If so, how did it go?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

not yet. plan to this weekend.

Linc

Post by Linc »

still play my wii...got about 125 games on a usb drive and every vc and wiiware game on an sd card. one of the best systems ever just because of how easy it is to mod and store games, plus all the classic vc games. Took a few years of erasing/replacing shit but my list is full of good games now.

will definately be pulling out my wii years from now and browsing through all the games...still tons I've only checked to make sure they've worked but haven't played much of.

an unmodded wii is shit compared to ps3/xbox though

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

The household just got a new Wii mini, but after a quick google search, apparently it can't get hacked?? If I wanted to play Wii games, I'd probably go the emulator route. I've heard nothing but good things about the Dolphin emulator. Might try it one of these days.

But yea, Wii is a somewhat underrated system. Too bad, the scores of shovelware it was subjected to last gen have destroyed its rep.

Name 5 must have games that have defined the system ... that aren't mini-games. Exactly.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
Skyward Sword
Metroid Prime 3
Smash Bros. Brawl (which I don't like, but it needs to be mentioned)

Agree with what you're saying though. The only reason to own a Wii is to play first-party titles. Nintendo needs to start taking their hardware a lot more seriously, and it seems they still haven't done that with the Wii U.

Linc

Post by Linc »

Combo7 wrote:Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
Skyward Sword
Metroid Prime 3
Smash Bros. Brawl (which I don't like, but it needs to be mentioned)

Agree with what you're saying though. The only reason to own a Wii is to play first-party titles. Nintendo needs to start taking their hardware a lot more seriously, and it seems they still haven't done that with the Wii U.

The Last Story and Xenoblade also if your into rpgs

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

... and Pandora's Tower, which is finally coming out stateside sometime this year.

Hush

Post by Hush »

ChaMerZ wrote:The household just got a new Wii mini, but after a quick google search, apparently it can't get hacked?? If I wanted to play Wii games, I'd probably go the emulator route. I've heard nothing but good things about the Dolphin emulator. Might try it one of these days.

But yea, Wii is a somewhat underrated system. Too bad, the scores of shovelware it was subjected to last gen have destroyed its rep.

Name 5 must have games that have defined the system ... that aren't mini-games. Exactly.
:ohcanada:

spitboxer

Post by spitboxer »

Haven't played my wii in over a year since i clocked Skyward Sword but finally got it out last night to try & hack it. Did it using Letterbomb for 4.3 & found it easy as fuck even for a technical retard like myself. Only had time to install the homebrew browser & wii64. Looks like its the 360's turn to gather dust.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

how is skyward sword? is it good on wii

i thinkin of waiting til wii u drops price and get in HD, but if its reallly good i might check before

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Skyward Sword is outstanding. The only game on Wii to actually make perfect use of the motion controls.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

This is the best way to play Wii games: -

http://dolphin-emu.org/

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Hush wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:The household just got a new Wii mini, but after a quick google search, apparently it can't get hacked?? If I wanted to play Wii games, I'd probably go the emulator route. I've heard nothing but good things about the Dolphin emulator. Might try it one of these days.

:ohcanada:
Ha I was not aware that this was a Canada only release. I wish the purchaser would have paid due diligence before getting it, because it doesn't have enough enticing software to force me to buy. I've done some research and there's basically no game on the Wii that I'm truly 100% interested in other than RE4 (eh nostalgia). Stuff like Madworld & Conduit looks cool though. A couple of the RPGs too.

I've never got the appeal of first party heavyweights like Zelda and Mario, I'm assuming it's because of the nostalgia factor. I can see how games like Mario 64 & Ocarina of Time could have struck folks fancy back in the day ... but now? I don't f*** understand it at all.

This is not really related, but I'll just bring it up since we're talking about hacks & what not, the Ouya is prepping up for a release a month (I think) from now & it's supposed to be really developer friendly (it's Android based). What do you fellas think of it? At only $99 I'm seriously considering getting it. Not for any pending games, but just for the open endedness of it. It's like a hacker's wet dream. I've been reading articles online & I remember reading something about a developer setting up a hello world subroutine on the system minutes after unboxing. That's fucking wild.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

ChaMerZ wrote:the Ouya is prepping up for a release a month (I think) from now & it's supposed to be really developer friendly (it's Android based). What do you fellas think of it?
I backed them on Kickstarter back in August last year, so I should be getting one soon (assuming they actually get released). I really like the idea of it, as it's cheap, tiny, and can be used as a gaming and media streaming box. I thought I'd take a punt on one as they're so cheap. I'm dubious of whether it'll be a success because there's so much competition in the gaming world right now, but hopefully devs get behind it as at least then I'll get some use out of it.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Sigma wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:the Ouya is prepping up for a release a month (I think) from now & it's supposed to be really developer friendly (it's Android based). What do you fellas think of it?
I backed them on Kickstarter back in August last year, so I should be getting one soon (assuming they actually get released). I really like the idea of it, as it's cheap, tiny, and can be used as a gaming and media streaming box. I thought I'd take a punt on one as they're so cheap. I'm dubious of whether it'll be a success because there's so much competition in the gaming world right now, but hopefully devs get behind it as at least then I'll get some use out of it.
Yea I'm not too optimistic about it's success either as the console market is pretty damn saturated right now, and I don't think the Ouya devs have enough funds or clout to really put this thing out there and have it run with the big boys. But the idea of enabling smaller developer's to make couch friendly android games should be really appealing to amateur gamemakers & small startups. Also with the Ouya's apparently easily modifiable hardware, they are endorsing a hacker mentality which is something I feel is lacking in current games (think of all the creative ideas that popped up once hackers were able to break the kinect).

Sigma, once it comes in, update us on how it goes. I've only seen youtube videos of it but it would be interesting to get a philaflava patron's perrspective.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Yeah man, I'll definitely let you know what it's like. They supposedly start shipping on Thursday, but I'll believe it when I see it. If they're going for silly money on eBay, it'll be hard to resist the temptation to sell it straight away though!

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

My Ouya arrived today: -

I'm very tempted to just dump it on eBay though. The console itself is nice and small (about 4" square) and feels very well built, but the controller is pretty awful. The shape of it isn't too bad and the analogue sticks are OK, although a little stiff, but the triggers and buttons feel terrible - like some dirt cheap piece of shit third party controller you might get for a regular console.

I don't know what to do at the moment. I might put it on eBay for a stupid price (say, £200) and see if anyone bites. They're supposedly redesigning the controller slightly for the retail release, which has delayed it, but us Kickstarter backers got the shitty version. If I decide to keep it, I'll start a thread about it and post some proper impressions on what it's like in use.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I've read reviews of it and the controller has been pretty much panned by everybody reputable. Well it's your call whether or not you want to sell it, but since you've broke the plastic you might as well fire that baby up. Incidentally, I heard it's pretty easy to attach a PS3, XBOX or other third party controller to it. Just FYI in case you do decide to keep it. The reason the controller is shitty is because of the price point. At $99 something had to give. If it wasn't the controller then it would have probably been another huge compromise that would have irked everyone.

It looks tiiiny though

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Combo7 wrote:Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
Skyward Sword
Metroid Prime 3
Smash Bros. Brawl
(which I don't like, but it needs to be mentioned)

mario kart wii is an absolute staple
new mario bros

that's seven first party games. although i actually bought more than that these are the only ones that are essential. for me seven titles is enough because i don't play often.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.