Dumping shit off my computer

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Peeping Tom

Dumping shit off my computer

Post by Peeping Tom »

I have an old labtop that I'm trying to use as a music making machine(cha ching) and anyway I have some mp3's and video's everwhere that I'm trying to throw away, I searched them and tried to trash em but it says cannot find file folder

Is there anyway just to mass dump all this shit?

squ1d

Post by squ1d »

Do you want to completely wipe the hard drive and start fresh?

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

squ1d wrote:Do you want to completely wipe the hard drive and start fresh?
does that entail having nothing on my computer? no programs nothing? I was thinking more along the lines of all media files, maybe your way would be better though..

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

squ1d wrote:Do you want to completely wipe the hard drive and start fresh?
actually I want the bare minimum to run a computer, basically somethign I can interface with and still load programs onto relatively easily, so give it to me...

drunkenchrist
King of All Lurkers

Post by drunkenchrist »

http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm

Go there and find out how to make a boot disk for whatever version of Windows you are running. Before you do any of this, make sure you have your Windows CD on hand so you can reinstall the OS. After you've created your boot disk, put it in the floppy drive and reboot the computer. It should boot to a DOS prompt. If it doesn't, you'll need to restart again and begin tapping the key it tells you to press to access the BIOS (F1 or F2 usually, I believe). In the BIOS, you'll have to change the boot options so it checks the floppy drive first. After you've done this, save changes and exit and restart. At the DOS prompt, type "format c:". (WARNING: this erases EVERYTHING on your computer. After this command, your computer will be unusable until an OS is installed) Pop your Windows disc into the CD drive, take the boot disk out, and restart once again. You should be met with a Windows install screen, at which point you answer the questions and follow the steps on the screen to get Windows reinstalled. If you're not met with a Windows install screen, you'll need to set the CD drive as the first bootable device in the BIOS just like you did for the floppy drive, restart, and reinstall Windows.

Some things to keep in mind:

-This won't be the exact way to do it if you don't have a bootable CD drive. Depending on how old your laptop is, I'm guessing that it will have a bootable CD drive, but I make no guarantees.

-You may want to Google up some info on formatting, booting, installing Windows, etc. and become familiar with the process. There are plenty of helpful guides out there that are much more detailed than what I just provided, not to mention that they probably have pictures showing you what to do. It never hurts to actually know what you're doing as opposed to following some Internet idiot's instructions blindly.

-MAKE SURE you have all the needed disks/information around you. This includes disks for drivers, Windows discs, boot discs, serial numbers, etc. If you dive right in just to find that you don't know the serial number for Windows, you're kind of fucked and have an expensive paper weight on your hands.

-Do this at your own risk. If you fuck up, like I've said before, enjoy the paper weight. I've fucked up plenty of computers in my time, and I've always been able to fix them. It's kind of a nice learning experience, until the time comes that you can't fix your fuckup. Then it's nothing more than a source of aggravation.

All you funky technicians out there, please feel free to add on. I simply hate having the fate of someone's computer in my hand. Peace.
I am lurker, (don't) hear me roar.

squ1d

Post by squ1d »

Hmmmm......

I mean, the easiest and probably best thing for you to do, at least from my perspective, is to just do a search for all *.mp3 , *.wav , *.wmv , *.asf .....etc and just delete whatever turns up.

Now, I don't know your setup, and I don't want to get you into trouble by turning a perfectly working computer into a driver nightmare......

If you try my first suggestion, run disk defrag once you are done deleting....won't make a huge difference but is good maintenance if you are deleting large files.....