Recommend a blu-ray player for me please....

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

House of Games

Recommend a blu-ray player for me please....

Post by House of Games »

I've spent the past 8 years of my life, building an ill DVD collection and when this blu ray shit came around, even though I knew it was better, I didn't want to give into it. But I went to my dvd shop today and saw the blu ray section had doubled in size, and some of my favorite movies that I didnt expect to make it to blu ray so fast, were now there. I remember when there was only one wall of DVDs in this same shop, and the rest VHS. And we all know what happened with that. I see whats going on, so I want to adapt. I know nothing about them, so can anyone recommend a good blu ray player?

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

What sort of player are you looking for in terms of features? What's your budget?

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Sigma wrote:What sort of player are you looking for in terms of features? What's your budget?
well im not even sure what kind of features they have, i would like it to be able to play all region dvds

and my budget is a couple hundred

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

The Sony BDP-N460 is decent. It's just over your budget at about $225. You can stream content with it including Netflix, YouTube, CBS and quite a lot of others. It has support for BD Live although to use that you need to add your own USB stick (only a 1GB stick is needed, so that's no major hassle). There's no wireless built in, so to use the streaming you have to either connect via ethernet or buy an optional wireless add-on. It upscales DVDs to full 1080p.

I can't find any info on whether it's region free for DVDs (or can be hacked to be region free), so that might be the one down side. If it is region free, it's a good buy and it has a lot of features.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

citizen

Post by citizen »

it really depends on what you want, price and features

the sony bdp s360 seems to get pretty good ratings as a basic blu ray player

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Sigma wrote:The Sony BDP-N460 is decent. It's just over your budget at about $225. You can stream content with it including Netflix, YouTube, CBS and quite a lot of others. It has support for BD Live although to use that you need to add your own USB stick (only a 1GB stick is needed, so that's no major hassle). There's no wireless built in, so to use the streaming you have to either connect via ethernet or buy an optional wireless add-on. It upscales DVDs to full 1080p.

I can't find any info on whether it's region free for DVDs (or can be hacked to be region free), so that might be the one down side. If it is region free, it's a good buy and it has a lot of features.
is the optional wireless add-on a hassle? like what would i need just like a airport card type thing

and dvds to full 1080p???!?? do most players do this or is this just a great feature of this particular device......

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Balzac wrote:Image
i dont play video games, but if the player is something special i would consider buying it, is it like a super dope blu ray player or can i get a much iller one for the 300 dollar price of the PS3

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

citizen wrote:it really depends on what you want, price and features

the sony bdp s360 seems to get pretty good ratings as a basic blu ray player
well lets say $200-350,, can you name some features that i would certainly want

does this player upgrade reg dvds to 1080p?!!

and what do you think of the BDP-N460

citizen

Post by citizen »

some players have streaming options for netflix, amazon, youtube, i think most players on the market upscale dvd's

i would check out www.cnet.com , its a good place for compare and contrast at different price ranges

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

i thought if you bought a bluray player you would constantly have to update it, while with the ps3 you get those updates automatically

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

deepfriedjellol wrote:i thought if you bought a bluray player you would constantly have to update it, while with the ps3 you get those updates automatically
excellent call, but do u think the player in the ps3 is as deadly as some of these sonys people have been name dropping? and especially with a sony with a wifi connect, would it not update as easily as the ps3

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

House of Games wrote:
i dont play video games, but if the player is something special i would consider buying it, is it like a super dope blu ray player or can i get a much iller one for the 300 dollar price of the PS3
The PS3 is great value for what you get, but you're better off buying a dedicated player if movie playback is all you're interested in.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Seiko Flossberg wrote:
House of Games wrote:
The PS3 is great value for what you get, but you're better off buying a dedicated player if movie playback is all you're interested in.
word, any recommendations ?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

great player:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/

may be a little above your price range.

just go here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-dvd-players/?tag=bc

and you can read reviews and watch videos of the players.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

So does anyone know if the Sony BDP-N460, since it has wi-fi will do auto-updates like the PS3 would?

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

based on Sigmas recommendation i copped the song bdp-n460

now i guess i need to get a netflix subscription to use it to its max potential, but i really just like because it connects to wi-fi and can update its shit. and i know ps3 can do that, but even with the router its still cheaper than a ps3. and i really hate video games.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

House of Games wrote:based on Sigmas recommendation i copped the song bdp-n460

now i guess i need to get a netflix subscription to use it to its max potential, but i really just like because it connects to wi-fi and can update its shit. and i know ps3 can do that, but even with the router its still cheaper than a ps3. and i really hate video games.
How's this working out for you? I'm in the same boat right now. Trying to choose the best player for my budget. And the netflix streaming is huge to me.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

I had the same problem as House OF Games, wanted to buy me a BR player and I wasn't really looking for video games... I don't know the prices in the U.S., but in my country (France) I had a really hard time trying to find a BR player cheaper than the PS3 slim.
So in the end i bought the PS3, and I'm happy as fuck with it.
It can read a whole lotta formats (Xvid, Divx, MP3's, etc...), has a 250Gigs HD, and I even started buying back video games (That Megadrive Collection is dope, at least for old heads like me lol).
I'd really recommend it.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Cleanhobo wrote:
House of Games wrote:based on Sigmas recommendation i copped the song bdp-n460

How's this working out for you? I'm in the same boat right now. Trying to choose the best player for my budget. And the netflix streaming is huge to me.
i havent even taken it out of the box yet, its been sitting on my bedroom floor since christmas.