PS3 Newbie Advice

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

stupidregister

PS3 Newbie Advice

Post by stupidregister »

So I'm considering finally getting a PS3 and I was hoping I could get some of the latest advice on what to look for. Specifically I have some questions about the extra shit it can do namely:

*Possible to make a non-backwards compatible PS3 into a compatible one?
*What's the deal with downloading PS2/PS3 games to your hard drive then playing them?
*Online play. Never done it, difficult to set up?

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LameAim

Re: PS3 Newbie Advice

Post by LameAim »

stupidregister wrote:*Possible to make a non-backwards compatible PS3 into a compatible one?
The oldest PS3 models came with hardware PS2 emulation; some others kinda replicated it in software somewhat. The most recent PS3 models do neither of these and I don't believe they can be modded to, either. I could be wrong. If PS2 compatibility is a must-have, hop on eBay and try to track one of the older models down - look at the model comparison chart here to see which ones do what. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

LameAim wrote:
stupidregister wrote:*Possible to make a non-backwards compatible PS3 into a compatible one?
The oldest PS3 models came with hardware PS2 emulation; some others kinda replicated it in software somewhat. The most recent PS3 models do neither of these and I don't believe they can be modded to, either. I could be wrong. If PS2 compatibility is a must-have, hop on eBay and try to track one of the older models down - look at the model comparison chart here to see which ones do what. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
That's what I've gathered from looking into it as well. It sucks having to waste PS2 games though. Any info on the ability to find/download/play PS2/3 games on the internet? Or is the PS3 basically a hard drive to keep music and such on?
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

stupidregister wrote:
LameAim wrote:
That's what I've gathered from looking into it as well. It sucks having to waste PS2 games though. Any info on the ability to find/download/play PS2/3 games on the internet? Or is the PS3 basically a hard drive to keep music and such on?
The PS3's hard drive functionality is essentially for media, game saves, and installation of essential game files. This is not optional, and required on most games. You can't install full games in the same manner as the 360, which allows full game installs and only requires the disc for verification of ownership.

As for the PS3's online functionality, it's really simple to set up. All you have to do is create a Playstation Network login (which you can do via the PS3's main menu), and have your PS3 hooked up to the internet ( :sherlock: ).

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Thanks. So there's no way to run emulation off the PS3 to play SNES or PS2 games or any of that? You're saying an xbox360 would run emulation of older generations and downloaded xbox games?

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

stupidregister wrote:Thanks. So there's no way to run emulation off the PS3 to play SNES or PS2 games or any of that? You're saying an xbox360 would run emulation of older generations and downloaded xbox games?
I don't know about PS2 or SNES games via emulation for either system. Either one would definitely require modding, especially since the PS3 removed the ability to install Linux, though I'm probably not the man to ask on that.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I can't answer any of your questions.

I buy my games or borrow them.

but i mostly use my PS3 for when I download movies and then watch them through my PS3 and watching DVDs and Blu-rays.

and in June, the patch comes out for you to play 3d blu rays on the ps3. Just in case you're a baller and have a 3d tv but no 3d player.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Thanks for the responses. I guess I thought it wasn't no thing to download emulators/games and play them off your console but it looks like it's not so simple.

CasOne

Post by CasOne »

I dunno if I have a special fuckin ps3 or what..but I have a ps3 slim and play final fantasy 7 on it from a disc all the time.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I think I've read that all PS3s are compatible with PS1 discs but I was looking for more than that.

Is it better to get an XBox if I want to be able to play downloaded games?

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I don't own an x-box. Does it have USB ports?

I was assuming you could play ps2 emulated games on the ps3 because you can just use the usb ports to port them through, right? That's how I watch most of my movies.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Gilbert Subpoenas wrote:I don't own an x-box. Does it have USB ports?

I was assuming you could play ps2 emulated games on the ps3 because you can just use the usb ports to port them through, right? That's how I watch most of my movies.
That's sort of my question, is it possible to play emulated games through the PS3? And if you can, can't you just download that stuff onto your hard drive using the wifi connection?

Sir Loin

Post by Sir Loin »

you could find a 60GB or 20GB version that is backward compatible for ps2 stuff but i dont know about emulation for snes

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Does size matter? Is there a significance to 80 vs 120 vs 160 or whatever in terms of game storage? Or is it just a matter of how many movies/pics/mp3s you can put on?

Also, can you swap out hard drives? Say I get a 40gb backward compatible PS3 but I want an 80gb hard drive. Is it simple enough to switch them?

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

stupidregister wrote:Does size matter? Is there a significance to 80 vs 120 vs 160 or whatever in terms of game storage? Or is it just a matter of how many movies/pics/mp3s you can put on?

Also, can you swap out hard drives? Say I get a 40gb backward compatible PS3 but I want an 80gb hard drive. Is it simple enough to switch them?
There are a number of games which require installs of in excess of 1 GB. Those add up. I have an 80 GB and I'm near the point of wanting to swap out the HDD because of dwindling storage space (mind you I've had it for 2.5 years).

It's pretty simple to swap out the hard drives. If you have data you want to back up, you can do that via the PS3's Settings menu. Then you pretty much remove the hard drive cover on the side, remove one screw, slide out the hard drive/tray, undo a few more screws, and put in the new hard drive. There are comprehensive guides on it that should let you know the deal.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

BigCat8 wrote:
stupidregister wrote:Does size matter? Is there a significance to 80 vs 120 vs 160 or whatever in terms of game storage? Or is it just a matter of how many movies/pics/mp3s you can put on?

There are a number of games which require installs of in excess of 1 GB. Those add up. I have an 80 GB and I'm near the point of wanting to swap out the HDD because of dwindling storage space (mind you I've had it for 2.5 years).

It's pretty simple to swap out the hard drives. If you have data you want to back up, you can do that via the PS3's Settings menu. Then you pretty much remove the hard drive cover on the side, remove one screw, slide out the hard drive/tray, undo a few more screws, and put in the new hard drive. There are comprehensive guides on it that should let you know the deal.
Thanks. What's the deal with the interface/engine differences between backwards capable ones and newer ones? I've read about not being able to change OSs but why's that significant?

If I did get a backwards capable PS3 and found a larger HD, can I swap them out no problem?

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

All PS3s take standard 2.5" SATA drives, so swapping them out is no problem.

All PS3s will play PS1 games. Only the early (and sadly, more prone to failure) launch units will play PS2 games as well. The earlier units also have 4 USB ports instead of 2 and they have memory card readers.

The PS3 cannot be hacked to play downloaded games or emulators. The "fat" PS3s had the ability to install Linux, but this was removed in firmware 3.15. The Slims never had the option at all.

The 360 has USB ports (2 on the front, 1 on the back) and you can flash the firmware to play downloaded games (retail disc-based games), or JTAG the console so you can run emulators, play downloaded XBLA games and disc-based games from a hard drive, and do a couple of other things, but the latter is difficult and requires you to have a particular dashboard version or earlier. A flashed 360 has a decent chance of being banned from Live and a JTAG'd 360 will be banned without question.

Online play is easy to set up on either console, although the 360 has no built in wireless. Online play is free on the PS3 and paid for on 360, although the 360 offers more features, particularly communication options.

If emulation of old arcade/console games is your thing, I would look into either building a small PC in a HTPC case so you can run MAME and so on, or get an original Xbox and mod that, as it gives you far more flexibility than any of the current gen consoles when it comes to emulation and it's cheap enough so you can get it along with your PS3.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Sigma wrote:All PS3s take standard 2.5" SATA drives, so swapping them out is no problem.

All PS3s will play PS1 games. Only the early (and sadly, more prone to failure) launch units will play PS2 games as well. The earlier units also have 4 USB ports instead of 2 and they have memory card readers.

The PS3 cannot be hacked to play downloaded games or emulators. The "fat" PS3s had the ability to install Linux, but this was removed in firmware 3.15. The Slims never had the option at all.

The 360 has USB ports (2 on the front, 1 on the back) and you can flash the firmware to play downloaded games (retail disc-based games), or JTAG the console so you can run emulators, play downloaded XBLA games and disc-based games from a hard drive, and do a couple of other things, but the latter is difficult and requires you to have a particular dashboard version or earlier. A flashed 360 has a decent chance of being banned from Live and a JTAG'd 360 will be banned without question.

Online play is easy to set up on either console, although the 360 has no built in wireless. Online play is free on the PS3 and paid for on 360, although the 360 offers more features, particularly communication options.

If emulation of old arcade/console games is your thing, I would look into either building a small PC in a HTPC case so you can run MAME and so on, or get an original Xbox and mod that, as it gives you far more flexibility than any of the current gen consoles when it comes to emulation and it's cheap enough so you can get it along with your PS3.
Thanks for the info. I have a 160gb hard drive I took out of an old laptop, and you're saying that would fit right into a PS3? Wow.

So I guess there's no way to play downloaded PS2 or PS3 games on a PS3? But on XBox, you can download and play XBox and XBox360 games?

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

noshadesofgrey wrote:I've heard Demon's Souls is a great PS3 exclusive, has anyone else played it?
One of the best games of all time. No, really. Get it.