Dark Souls - Xbox 360/PS3 PTD Edition

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

Sigma

Dark Souls - Xbox 360/PS3 PTD Edition

Post by Sigma »

Here's the first trailer: -

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4O1gTiB9ssk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4O1gTiB9ssk?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

It's out later this year on 360 and PS3. It is a sequel to Demon's Souls in all but name. I think Sony have some rights to the Demon's Souls name as they helped develop it and they published it in certain territories.

Post by 360 »

AWESOME!

Very smart move changing the name and releasing it for the 360 as well. This will more than double sales. I loved Demon's Souls and it was one of the only games I played for the ps3. As I played it, I always wished it was released for the 360.

ric

Post by ric »

oh sweet. i hope you can jump

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Does this have online co-op??

ric

Post by ric »

the new one is supposed to be even harder. THANK GOD FOR NEW SPAWN POINTS
Dark Souls Director Details Upcoming Dark Fantasy RPG

We've already heard that the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls will be even tougher than the original (gulp!). Today Dark Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki provides details about the upcoming dark fantasy RPG's enhanced difficulty level as well as other tweaks From Software is making to the anticipated game.

In an interview with the official PlayStation blog, Miyazaki, who also served as director on Demon's Souls, compared Dark Souls' much talked about difficulty level to spicy food. The goal is to give it a kick, he said, but not make it inedible.

"We intend to increase the difficulty of the game. Not simply by making the game more difficult, but by giving players the freedom to strategize freely and conquer that difficulty, and to be rewarded accordingly," Miyazaki said.

To help make the enhanced difficulty palatable, From Software is adding respawn points to Dark Souls. This time around, if you die, you (mercifully) won't be taken back to the very beginning of a level.

Check the full PlayStation blog interview to learn more about Dark Souls' control scheme, weapons, character creation options, and more.

Dark Souls is being developed for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The game is set for release sometime in 2011.
http://ps3.gamespy.com/playstation-3/pr ... 943p1.html

supnick

Post by supnick »

fuck demons souls

about to go play it for 3 hours tho

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

Demons souls was one of the hardest games I have ever played but I still feel it was the game of the year(whatever year it came out in). If they can find a way to actually give this game a story that's worth a damn this would be at the top of my all time favorites list.

Will be buying.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

360 wrote:AWESOME!
Nuff said.

The Aluminum Falcon

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYh8phZ4Dvw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYh8phZ4Dvw?fs ... rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Post by 360 »

Upping this in preparation.

Post by 360 »

Some vids to increase hype:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yopt1hJtzQU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yopt1hJtzQU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z2slnF5nAxc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z2slnF5nAxc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Bought Demon's Souls last year and was very disappointed; wish someone had told me it's the type of game where weapons "degrade" over time and you need to "farm" enemies hoping they "drop" useful items. I hate when RPG elements intrude into otherwise decent action/adventure fare.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

can't wait
the boy is the father to the man

Post by 360 »

Just watched some of the IGN 24 hour stream. God they sucked so bad.

It was pretty funny watching them get repeatedly get raped and not learn anything, though.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmLaLqYauTA?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmLaLqYauTA?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Post by 360 »

I've been playing for the past 9 hours. Game is magical

The Aluminum Falcon

Just picked up my collectors edition of the game a few minutes ago. I've got some shit I should probably do first but Dark Souls is sounding kind of important to me right now.

Post by 360 »

I decided to make things extremely hard for myself and roll a Thief. One missed counter or miscalculated back stab = death.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

My collector's edition has dispatched, so I should hopefully get it in the next day or two. I own Demon's Souls but never really got round to playing it. I have a feeling I'll either love or hate it.

Post by 360 »

Let us know what you think. I have a feeling you're going to love it.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

I played 1-2 hours of it this evening. I'm kind of in two minds about it at the moment. I can see what people love about it (and Demon's Souls), but I'm just not sure it's for me.

I like that you feel kinda weak and helpless compared to most games, cos even the weaker enemies can chop you down in a couple of strikes, so when you progress there's a greater sense of reward than you'd get with a game where it's a lot harder to die and when you do die, you just spring back to life in the same spot, but I think it probably crosses the line of being too hard for my tastes. The reason I stopped playing it tonight is cos it was pissing me off due to repeated (and sometimes cheap IMO) deaths, but I'm going to persevere with it for a good few more hours yet.

ric

Post by ric »

please update. i didnt realize it was out and i am contemplating getting it. but i didnt get through demon souls and quit because of the grind. i dont want a game to seem like work.

so anybody, please leave some balanced (if applicable/possible) thoughts/reviews.

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

From some of the reviews I've read, this seems to be even harder than Demon's Souls.

It's now a big open world game, so there's no more central hub and at certain points you can light bonfires which become your checkpoints for when you die. You can also rest next to a bonfire which fills your health back up to full, but it also revives every enemy in that area aside from any bosses. What pissed me off is that I would die, go quite a way back to the last bonfire, then I'd get just a little bit further than the previous attempt and die again, back to the bonfire and so on. It got annoying after a few attempts so I don't think you'd like this if you found Demon's Souls annoying for similar reasons.

ric

Post by ric »

hm. yeah that might be right. do they still have world tendency? do you vacillate from being soul to human again?

The Aluminum Falcon

Even with the bonfires this game is incredibly difficult. If you weren't cut out for Demon's Souls you should stay away from this one. If you liked Demon's Souls go out and buy this now.

Post by 360 »

This game is so good.

I'm going to go ahead and place the Demon/Dark Souls series in my top 15 of all time. I thought that aboutDemon's Souls but I wanted to wait until I experienced Dark Souls for a good 30 hours before I made the declaration.

Post by 360 »

Combo7 wrote:Bought Demon's Souls last year and was very disappointed; wish someone had told me it's the type of game where weapons "degrade" over time and you need to "farm" enemies hoping they "drop" useful items. I hate when RPG elements intrude into otherwise decent action/adventure fare.

This game is a full-fledged RPG. It doesn't just have rpg elements. You should have known that going in.

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Is it harder than the Ninja Gaiden games or about that level of difficulty? This game sounds right up my alley because I hate easy games, but you guys are scaring me :lol:

Sigma

Post by Sigma »

HomeSkillet wrote:Is it harder than the Ninja Gaiden games or about that level of difficulty? This game sounds right up my alley because I hate easy games, but you guys are scaring me :lol:
I've only played Ninja Gaiden II but I think Dark Souls is considerably more difficult.

In NGII, most of the time I didn't feel that threatened by the regular attackers that come at you and you generally feel that you're more of a bad ass than they are. In Dark Souls, I don't get that feeling at all. That's part of the game's attraction though really, although it's what will also make some people hate it.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

360 wrote:
Combo7 wrote:Bought Demon's Souls last year and was very disappointed; wish someone had told me it's the type of game where weapons "degrade" over time and you need to "farm" enemies hoping they "drop" useful items. I hate when RPG elements intrude into otherwise decent action/adventure fare.

This game is a full-fledged RPG. It doesn't just have rpg elements. You should have known that going in.

True dat.

Anyway, I decided to stop being an asshole and give it another shot and now I'm completely hooked.