What's your prediction for the Wii?

↑↑↓↓← → ← → B A Start

Moderator: Sigma

eastvandemolition

What's your prediction for the Wii?

Post by eastvandemolition »

Inspired by the PS3 thread that Philaflava made.

Do you think Wii will be a business success, or complete disaster?

What about the games? Do you think this console will produce some Nintendo classics?

Personally, I think that Wii will be a modest business success but Nintendo will still lose some ground to its competitors, Microsoft in particular. I'm unconvinced that Nintendo has enough 3rd party support. And given the uniqueness of the controller, ports of 360 and PS3 games are going to be kind of awkward if they even happen. I feel that only a few developers will create truly special games for the Wii.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

the buzz for the Wii is a billion percent positive, and I can honestly see this winning the next gen console wars, even though Nintendo said they arent trying to compete with Xbox360 and PS3. I have a feeling the preorders for the Wii will outnumber the preorders for the PS3 AT LEAST 5 to 1. I think I'm being super-overly optimistic though.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Wii will be extremely successful, because when people go to buy a system for christmas they are going to buy a $200 Wii rather than a $600 PS3, or a $400 XBOX. Plus Nintendo will have fun games for it, and the controller, I think, is going to be a lot of fun.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

i predict that i will be buyign one. :grin:

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Re: What's your prediction for the Wii?

Post by Kalel »

eastvandemolition wrote:business success
"But I'm a regular gamer! And I don't want to have to get up off my couch and wave a friggin controler around like a fairy!"

Yes you do, because you'll play Guitar Hero for 8 hours straight and not get tired.

I dont see how anyone could not see how this system and its games will succeed. Nintendo is covering its bases with the non-gamer market waving a remote control around instinctually, and the hardcore kids who just want to sit in front of their TV using an old Gamecube controller.

Turbo-Grafix, NES, SNES, N64 and I believe old Sega games will be available as a simple download for a bargain bin price. I dont think that this alone will pull the Wii out in front of everyone else but it certainly will help. Imagine pulling 3 of your buddies over and going for a Goldeneye, Mario Kart, WCW vs. NWO, Double Dragon and Super Smash Bros. marathon without having to unplug and switch out systems. Consider your summers occupied.

It's a good looking system too, it wont look out of place in your home entertainment setup and will attract consumers in the store who may not even know what it is. Add on to the fact that it will come in different colors and you dont have any reason why it cant match with the rest of the room.

I love the fact that everyone is back in love with Nintendo.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

i dont know....but i hope its tight.....are they marketing it for little kids like the cube?

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Allan Smithee wrote:i dont know....but i hope its tight.....are they marketing it for little kids like the cube?
it's supposed to be for everybody...that's supposedly why they are calling it Wii.

:wutang: ii

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

:grin: ....yiiiiiiii!

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

I think it will come on very strong but eventually lose ground after some of the novelty wears off and HDTV becomes the new standard for everything.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I heard it's back to Revolution.

Either way, I think they'll outsell the 360 and the ps3. Combined.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

i see this making it a big 3 in the console races again and not just the big 2 it has been for the past few years.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

madtapes wrote:I think it will come on very strong but eventually lose ground after some of the novelty wears off and HDTV becomes the new standard for everything.
its not hd like 360????

eastvandemolition

Russian wrote:
madtapes wrote:I think it will come on very strong but eventually lose ground after some of the novelty wears off and HDTV becomes the new standard for everything.
its not hd like 360????
Yeah, the Wii doesn't have HD compatibility.

wheels

Post by wheels »

eastvandemolition wrote:
Russian wrote:
its not hd like 360????
I don't think they care to make games that are going to require HD graphics to compete.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

wheels wrote:
eastvandemolition wrote:
Russian wrote:
its not hd like 360????
I don't think they care to make games that are going to require HD graphics to compete.
Nope they will make games that are fun to play. The graphics won't be that bad though, it is supposed to be a little better than ps2 and the original xbox.

eastvandemolition

I bet the 2nd and 3rd generation of Wii games will be fucking monsters. Its gonna take some time for developers to get used to the new control schemes and how to properly implement them.

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

wheels wrote:
eastvandemolition wrote:
Russian wrote:
its not hd like 360????
ok but what i heard is that non HD type games will look like shit and lag on a HDTV because HDTV has to convert back the video, right???

eastvandemolition

Russian wrote:
wheels wrote:
eastvandemolition wrote:
Russian wrote:
its not hd like 360????
ok but what i heard is that non HD type games will look like shit and lag on a HDTV because HDTV has to convert back the video, right???
I've never owned an HDTV compatible TV but I'm pretty sure you are wrong here. When you are watching non-HDTV TV then it still looks alright, doesn't it?

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

eastvandemolition wrote:
Russian wrote:
wheels wrote:
eastvandemolition wrote:
Russian wrote: its not hd like 360????
I've never owned an HDTV compatible TV but I'm pretty sure you are wrong here. When you are watching non-HDTV TV then it still looks alright, doesn't it?

looks like shit, hdtvs are really bad with regualr channels

i got a 50 inch dlp lcd hdtv from samsung....hd looks great and non hd looks bad

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

regular TV on my HDTV looks basically like a regular tv, nothing wrong with it at all when compared to another regular TV, but of course if you compared it with HDTV it's gonna look bad

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

Random Sample wrote:
wheels wrote:
eastvandemolition wrote:
Russian wrote:
its not hd like 360????
Nope they will make games that are fun to play. The graphics won't be that bad though, it is supposed to be a little better than ps2 and the original xbox.
also, let's not forget, the gamecube still set the bar with RE4 graphically this past generation too. Nintendo knows what they are doing.

Hush

Post by Hush »

I think the Wii will also have somewhat of a "what the fuck" factor as well. As in, "What the fuck, its only 200 dollars, why not give it a shot?"

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

I think it's gonna kill in Japan, probably so much that any trouble that it may have in the States and Europe will be moot.

I am more excited about it personally than the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined. I am a sucker for innovation though. The more "mature" approach Nintendo is taking with some of it's first party games will serve them well.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

I can see Wii doing alright but still towards the back of the pack. Big huge problems for the Wii to overcome No NFL game nor NCAA football game. This is a deal braker to huge number of potential system buyers. Second is the lack of HDTV support. It is cute to repeat the tired bullshit about graphics dont matter only gameplay matters but when you are droping a few hundies on a system the better graphics do help to make a decision. Oh and also without advances in graphics many genres would not exist such as the stealth genre (a huge seller) what new genres might hdtv bring that are not possible with out it? The controller can also backfire. If the main controller to play the mainstream games is lacking or cost to much to add on it could hurt. Also to me at least the idea of having to purchase new add on controllers for 1 or 2 games gets old quick.

Also i want to know why everyone just asumes that Nintendo makes the "best" and most invoative games while third parties and Sony/Microsoft make games where only graphics matter? Nintendo has made a bunch of shit such as Lugies ghost buster and rehases games into the ground with sequals see mario cart (a great fucking game but it is the same game over and over again much the same as Grand Turismo).

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

ThaJim2 wrote:Nintendo has made a bunch of shit such as Lugies ghost buster and rehases games into the ground with sequals see mario cart (a great fucking game but it is the same game over and over again much the same as Grand Turismo).
That Luigi game was good.

And Mario Kart always has alot of innovation and tweaks here and there to keep the games good.

I don't think anyone is saying other companies don't make good, innovative games, but Nintendo is probably the best at it right now. The number of original GBA, DS and Gamecube games says alot.

frank b

Post by frank b »

ThaJim2 wrote:Big huge problems for the Wii to overcome No NFL game
Madden '07 will be on the Wii, in an obviously unique incarnation.
Last edited by frank b on Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My girl does shit like compare and contrast Kant, Foucault, Marx, Darwin and Socrates to Asian philosophers and Middle Eastern writers and poets I have never fucking heard of" - Mindbender Futurama

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

I BELIEVE IN WIIIII

From the land of the UNBANNED

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

frank b wrote:
Football games are not big sellers on a Nintendo systems anyways.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Random Sample wrote:
frank b wrote:
Football games are not big sellers on a Nintendo systems anyways.
I did not reliase that EA still made games for Nintento home systems my bad. And this is a huge problem like it or not for the overall success of the system. EA has never and probably will never spend the money to make a top notch port of the game to a Nintendo system which causes the average maddan buyer to purchase a system wear maddan is optimized creating a cycle. And dont give me this shit about unique incarnation either because they will not throw the money to make it "special" but instead it will be a gimmic. If the idea is throwing the controler like a football that would be hella dumb or making a takle with a contorller in each hand it will look like a room full of short bus riders.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Madden sucks anyways.