WTF Chris Benoit and his family found DEAD in their home

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

goldenstateofmind

Post by goldenstateofmind »

regardless of what is being said, or whether there were steroids in the house or not, it doesnt take more than a glance to know benoit was doing it. as for the killings being too calculated to be called "rage", steroids can still lead to depression. point being he was obviously sick in the head and i dont think anyone would be surprised if results showed it was because of 10+ years of juicing.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman »

From 1wrestling.com

"In speaking with close friends and confidants of Chris Benoit contacted this afternoon, apparently there were some warning signs that something was wrong with Benoit.

Some of the information learned by 1Wrestling.com by colleagues and friends that did not want to be quoted:

"This wasn't roid rage, this was insanity. Roid rage doesn't last for 48 hours. There were signs that something was wrong. Stories have emerged that a year ago he became paranoid and believed he was being followed. He wouldn't let Nancy leave the house because he believed someone was out to get them."

ג€œChris hated religion. He didn't believe in it. I cannot comprehend him putting bibles by the bodies. I am shocked.ג€ (Note: We have been contacted by other friends of Benoit who say he had recently become a religious person)

In addition, 1Wrestling has learned that sources close to Nancy are reporting that she had a safety deposit box with evidence of past rages and that authorities should check the box if anything ever happened to her."

So I guess dude went insane.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

god damnit he was injecting the poor kid with growth hormones???? that sick fuck...fuck chris benoit and his whole fuckin worthless legacy, I dont wanna hear anyone say "hes one of the greats", hes a piece of shit that deserves to rot in hell

ADR

Post by ADR »

did anybody see that HBO Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel where they were speaking to doctors and ex football players about the concussions and brain damage sustained while playing and how this head trauma can lead to memory loss, depression, and complete dementia later in life?

i would assume the exact same study could be done with professional wrestlers (or any full contact sport for that matter)

the kid X-Pac had something like 13 concussions in his career and he's supposedly some fruit basket right now.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Jesus Hortimer Christ. What a mess.

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

benoit is a bitch straight up. if you wanna kill yourself fine but not ur own blood. shit doesnt surprise me, this nigga always looked grimey. he had no personality what so ever. if i was one of his friends/fellow wrestler i wouldnt go to his funeral.

poopie boy

Post by poopie boy »

My first reaction to hearing about this was that he was set up... I don't have any personal bias towards him even though I watched him wrestle a few times. I just feel this is a plot, especially after reading that comment about him being paranoid that he was being followed.

CaseJuan

Post by CaseJuan »

Heard this earlier in the day. All I can say is damn. Shits fucked up.

Do you like titties?

Ches!

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

poopie boy wrote:My first reaction to hearing about this was that he was set up... I don't have any personal bias towards him even though I watched him wrestle a few times. I just feel this is a plot, especially after reading that comment about him being paranoid that he was being followed.
"i turned to my brother and said...let's go get Jushin Liger"

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Sylissez wrote:
poopie boy wrote:My first reaction to hearing about this was that he was set up... I don't have any personal bias towards him even though I watched him wrestle a few times. I just feel this is a plot, especially after reading that comment about him being paranoid that he was being followed.
Nah if anyone it's Kevin Sullivan. Or maybe he just had his family watch the Vengence PPV and they merked themselves.

But in all seriousness.

Nancy probably told Benoit she's leaving him and taking their son, so Benoit came back home in a rage, killed them and himself. That's how I think it went down now.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Sylissez wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

only thing that can make me laugh in this somber thread. thanks...

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Wrestler strangled wife, suffocated son, hanged himself in weight room; police offer no motive
By GREG BLUESTEIN, Associated Press Writer
June 26, 2007

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine pulley, authorities said Tuesday.

Investigators found anabolic steroids in the house and want to know whether the muscle man nicknamed "The Canadian Crippler" was unhinged by the bodybuilding drugs, which can cause paranoia, depression and explosive outbursts known as "roid rage."

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over a weekend, and would not discuss Benoit's state of mind. No suicide note was found.

"In a community like this it's bizarre to have a murder-suicide, especially involving the death of a 7-year-old," District Attorney Scott Ballard said. "I don't think we'll ever be able to wrap our minds around this."

The Montreal-born Benoit was one of the stars of the WWE wrestling circuit and was known for his wholesome family-man image. His wife, Nancy, was a wrestling stage manager who worked under the name "Woman." They married in 2000.

When he won the world heavyweight championship in 2004, Benoit (pronounced ben-WAH) hoisted the belt over his head and invited his wife and child into the ring to celebrate. Asked by the Calgary Sun that year to name his worst vice, Benoit replied: "Quality time with my family is a big vice. It's something I'll fight for and crave."

Despite those appearances, Nancy Benoit had filed for a divorce in 2003, saying the couple's three-year marriage was irrevocably broken and alleging "cruel treatment." She later dropped the complaint, as well as a request for a restraining order in which she charged that the 5-foot-10, 220-pound Benoit had threatened her and had broken furniture in their home.

In the divorce filing, she said Benoit made more than $500,000 a year as a professional wrestler and asked for permanent custody of Daniel and child support. In response, Benoit sought joint custody.

The bodies were found Monday afternoon in the house, off a gravel road in this suburb about 20 miles south of Atlanta.

Benoit's 43-year-old wife was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle, Ballard said. Daniel was probably killed late Saturday or early Sunday, the body found in his bed, the district attorney said.

Benoit, 40, apparently hanged himself several hours and as long as a day later, Ballard said. His body was found in a downstairs weight room, his body found hanging from the pulley of a piece of exercise equipment.

A closed Bible was placed next to the bodies of the wife and son, authorities said.

The prosecutor said he found it "bizarre" that the wrestler spread out the killings over a weekend and appeared to remain in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

Ballard said Benoit had sent two text messages to acquaintances, one saying that his wife and son were sick. The other, to a neighbor, said the door to the house was open and that the pets were outside. The prosecutor said the messages appeared to be an attempt to get someone to the home to find the bodies after his suicide.

The boy had old needle marks in his arms, Ballard said. He said he had been told the parents considered him undersized and had given him growth hormones.

"The boy was very small, even dwarfed," Ballard said.

Toxicology test results may not be available for weeks or even months, Ballard said. As for whether steroids played a role in the crime, he said: "We don't know yet. That's one of the things we'll be looking at."

Benoit received drug deliveries from a Florida business that sold steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone on the Internet, according to the Albany County, N.Y., District Attorney's Office, which is investigating the business, MedXLife.com.

Six people, including two of the pharmacy's owners, have pleaded guilty in the Albany investigation, and 20 more have been arrested, including doctors and pharmacists.

Steroids have been linked to the deaths of several professional wrestlers in recent years. Eddie Guerrero, one of Benoit's best friends, died in 2005 from heart failure linked to long-term steroid use.

The father of Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig blamed steroids and painkillers for Hennig's drug overdose death in 2003. Davey Boy Smith, the "British Bulldog," died in 2002 from heart failure that a coroner said was probably caused by steroids.

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a news release Tuesday evening saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death."

"The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage," the company said, adding that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

Benoit was a quiet, roughhewn figure amid the glitz and bluster of pro wrestling. He performed under his real name, eschewed scripted personas and didn't bother to fix a gap where he had lost one of his front teeth. (According to the WWE Web site, he lost the tooth while roughhousing with his pet Rottweiler.)

His signature move was the "Crippler Crossface," in which he would lock his hands around an opponent's face and stretch his neck.

"You always rooted for him, because he was a good guy and he overcame the odds," said Dave Meltzer, editor of the Wrestling Observer, a weekly news letter. "It's like if you watched `Rocky,' and in the end it comes out that Rocky killed his wife and his son."

Benoit met his wife in the 1990s when she was married to rival wrestler Kevin Sullivan. As part of the scripted rivalry, Benoit and Nancy were supposed to act as if they were having an affair. A real romance blossomed, and she left Sullivan for Benoit.

Neighbors said the Benoits led a low-key lifestyle.

"We would see Chris walking in his yard from time to time. He wasn't rude, but he wasn't really outwardly warm," said Alaina Jones, who lives across the street.

Jimmy Baswell, who was Benoit's driver for more than five years, placed a white wreath at their gate. "They always seemed like they were the happiest people," he said.

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who had received "several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning."

"He was like a family member to me, and everyone in my family is taking it real hard," said fellow Canadian Bret Hart, a five-time champion.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, after the bodies were discovered.

Monday's show was supposed to be a memorial service for WWE owner Vince McMahon. In a storyline concocted by the WWE, McMahon was supposedly "assassinated" in a limousine explosion two weeks earlier. McMahon appeared at the beginning of Monday's telecast and acknowledged the bombing was made up.

The McMahon storyline has been dropped.

------

I know it's wrong, but I laughed at the Rocky quote.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

the WWE should close down shop, this is getting way out of hand.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

years of shrinking your nuts up with steriods might lead to having kids that maybe dont grow as big as they should.

what a mess.

RIP to the poor little guy and his mom.

Jigsaw

Post by Jigsaw »

I'm betting he found out his kid wasn't his, it was Kevin Sullivan's.

lol

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

I don't think I can watch this stuff anymore. After some 18-19 years of being a wrestling fan, this is too much. When the toxicology reports come out, it might be revealed that roid rage is the "reason" for this horrific act.

But fans of wrestling know what it really is: us.

I know that sentence is overdramatic, but it's true. We the fans (speaking in a general sense) feed into whatever it is McMahon&Co. cook up. No matter how tasteless. No matter how many times we say "this is it, they've finally gone over the line." No matter how ridiculous the conditions that these guys work under is. And I know...it's the life they chose.

The fact is, wrestling NEEDS an off-season. The lives of the wrestlers depend on it. If not an off-season, then these guys need to know that they can take time off to fully recuperate (mentally and physically) without losing their job or their spot or their push. A serious message needs to be sent to Vince McMahon and the WWE (and TNA and any other companies) that enough is enough. Every other pro athlete gets an off-season to heal and recover. They're unionized. They're protected. This isn't true of pro wrestling. And it's the reason why these people are dying so rapidly.

McMahon needs to be held accountable for the conditions he's created. I'm the last person who wants the gov't regulating every single thing, but someone needs to step in to oversee the goings on in this ridiculous farce.

Wrestling fans tend to relate somewhat personally to the wrestlers they like. And why wouldn't they? When you see someone (even if it is only on TV) once or twice a week for some 10, 15 or 20 years, you can get attached. So that care for these people who are literally giving their lives for our own stupid entertainment should motivate us to do something to help at least prevent more needless deaths, if it's not already too late.

(hmmm...this'll prolly be my first post to get the :didntread: and possibly the :jaz: ....oh well)

goldenstateofmind

Post by goldenstateofmind »

Sylissez wrote:I don't think I can watch this stuff anymore. After some 18-19 years of being a wrestling fan, this is too much. When the toxicology reports come out, it might be revealed that roid rage is the "reason" for this horrific act.

But fans of wrestling know what it really is: us.

I know that sentence is overdramatic, but it's true. We the fans (speaking in a general sense) feed into whatever it is McMahon&Co. cook up. No matter how tasteless. No matter how many times we say "this is it, they've finally gone over the line." No matter how ridiculous the conditions that these guys work under is. And I know...it's the life they chose.

The fact is, wrestling NEEDS an off-season. The lives of the wrestlers depend on it. If not an off-season, then these guys need to know that they can take time off to fully recuperate (mentally and physically) without losing their job or their spot or their push. A serious message needs to be sent to Vince McMahon and the WWE (and TNA and any other companies) that enough is enough. Every other pro athlete gets an off-season to heal and recover. They're unionized. They're protected. This isn't true of pro wrestling. And it's the reason why these people are dying so rapidly.

McMahon needs to be held accountable for the conditions he's created. I'm the last person who wants the gov't regulating every single thing, but someone needs to step in to oversee the goings on in this ridiculous farce.

Wrestling fans tend to relate somewhat personally to the wrestlers they like. And why wouldn't they? When you see someone (even if it is only on TV) once or twice a week for some 10, 15 or 20 years, you can get attached. So that care for these people who are literally giving their lives for our own stupid entertainment should motivate us to do something to help at least prevent more needless deaths, if it's not already too late.

(hmmm...this'll prolly be my first post to get the :didntread: and possibly the :jaz: ....oh well)
good points
jigsaw's sig, maybe a little too soon....

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Jigsaw wrote:I'm betting he found out his kid wasn't his, it was Kevin Sullivan's.

lol
Oh, I get it. It's funny cause, like, now a seven year old kid is dead.

Props on the sig, too.

elohim

Post by elohim »

peace to sylissez, agreed. i ain't gonna talk about the deaths anymore until its all said and done, but i just thought i'd clear this up..
Canadian female Pam Winthrope told News 1130 in Canada that Chris Benoit's son had a genetic condition called Fragile X syndrome.

According to WebMD, "Fragile X Syndrome is a defect of the X chromosome which causes mild mental retardation. The disorder occurs more frequently and severely among males than females. This condition is the leading known familial cause of mental retardation in the United States. Language delays, behavioral problems, autism or autistic-like behavior (including poor eye contact and hand-flapping), enlarged external genitalia (macroorchidism), large or prominent ears, hyperactivity, delayed motor development and/or poor sensory skills are among the wide range of symptoms associated with this disorder."

Winthrope, whose son also suffers from the condition, told the Canadian news outlet that her husband reached out to Benoit five years ago in an attempt to increase awareness about Fragile X.

She told News 1130, "We talked to him because I was trying to set up a support group in BC and in Canada, we only have a couple of them. My husband was struggling when we got diagnosed with our son, and Chris was struggling with his. They talked for a few minutes and then he said he didn't want to be a public face for Fragile X, he just wanted to keep it really, really quiet."

Winthrope noted that the lack of support for those affected by the disorder can tear families apart. Nonetheless, "she couldn't believe the news that Benoit had taken his life along with his wife and 7-year-old son," wrote News 1130.

This may explain why Daniel was taking growth hormone injections. It also may shed light onto why Chris didn't want someone else raising his son and made the fateful decision to kill him. As irrational and twisted as it may sound, he may have felt he was saving his son from the double-blow of losing his parents through a murder-suicide and being subject to being raised by people who didn't understand or care for his condition.
kind of eerie on a personal level since my neighbor killed her daughter for bein semi-mentally retarded as well. aight i'm out.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

By far the creepiest thing about this is the amount of time in between killing his wife, his son, and himself. It weirds me the fuck out to think he was holed up in his house with his wife and son's dead bodies laying around for up to a day (since his son) and two days (since his wife) before he finally offed himself with a piece of gym equipment. If it was revealed he snapped, murdered his wife, then son, and then killed himself in rapid succession, to me that would in a way be a lot more easier to digest. I could see how something like that could easily happen, especially to a highly strung person under a lot of stress. But tying up your wife, strangling her, then killing your son the next day, before offing yourself some time later is some other shit.

Placing the bibles next to their bodies is very disturbing as well. The guy obviously was under a whole deal of stress and finally slipped into insanity.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Moolah wrote:By far the creepiest thing about this is the amount of time in between killing his wife, his son, and himself. It weirds me the fuck out to think he was holed up in his house with his wife and son's dead bodies laying around for up to a day (since his son) and two days (since his wife) before he finally offed himself with a piece of gym equipment. If it was revealed he snapped, murdered his wife, then son, and then killed himself in rapid succession, to me that would in a way be a lot more easier to digest. I could see how something like that could easily happen, especially to a highly strung person under a lot of stress. But tying up your wife, strangling her, then killing your son the next day, before offing yourself some time later is some other shit.

Placing the bibles next to their bodies is very disturbing as well. The guy obviously was under a whole deal of stress and finally slipped into insanity.

my thoughts exactly...

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

First things first, this is fucked up and i am pissed as hell that Benoit killed himself that prick deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison remembering what he did, he got off easy.

Second, there is no such thing as roid rage, it is a media creation here are some studies to back me up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... s=12938869

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... ds=8855834

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entre ... s=12062320

Third, Human Growth Hormone HGH has almost no side effects and it might be the safest drug ever approved by the FDA and has helped undersized kids grow to normal sizes; it is also a pain in the ass to get. If it prescribed, it has gone though about 4 levels of scrutiny to get his hands on it for his kid. The insurance company will question it along with the pharmacy (HGH is a specialty drug and can only be found in a very small number of pharmacies) ; it is probably the hardest perspiration drug to get your hands on.

I also agree with everything that sylissez said. Does the WWE have a concussion policy? If anything made him snap it is the numerous hits to the head. When will all sports and I am including pro wrestling here because it is subject to the same impacts as other up and up sports adopt boxingג€™s policy?

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Steve Austin's ex-wife, Debra Marshall, has spoken out on the Chris Benoit situation in a story for the FOX affiliate in Colorado.

- She called the domestic and drug abuse in WWE "out of hand" and brought up the statistic of 60 wrestlers under the age of 45 having died in the last ten years.

- Debra went as far as claiming that her story is very similar to Nancy Benoit's story, mentioning that Nancy had sought help from law enforcement in 2003 for domestic abuse.

- Debra also stated that like Nancy, Austin had basically forced her to write a letter to authorities saying the original complaint was a mistake.

- Debra said that she had personally seen Steve Austin take steroids.

- Debra said that had she spoken up earlier about how out of control domestic abuse is in wrestling, maybe Nancy and Daniel would still be alive today.

- Debra said that she "knows what it's like" to have someone who is really big sitting on top of you hitting you.

- Debra said she is glad she is alive after going through what she went through with Steve Austin.

Credit: PWTorch.com
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

On Saturday, Benoit called a co-worker to say he had missed a flight and would be late for a wrestling event in Texas, WWE said in a timeline posted Tuesday on its Web site. The co-worker said Benoit sounded tired and groggy and said "I love you," which the co-worker found "out of context," WWE said.

When a co-worker who usually travels with Benoit called him later from the Houston airport, Benoit told the co-worker his wife, Nancy, was throwing up blood and that his son, Daniel, also was throwing up. Benoit said he thought it was food poisoning, according to WWE.

After Benoit talked to a WWE Talent Relations representative, the representative suggested Benoit try to make it to a pay-per-view event in Houston since he would not be able to make it to the live event in Beaumont, Texas.

But early Sunday, two co-workers received a series of text messages from the cell phones of Benoit and his wife. Most stated his home address in Fayetteville, about 20 miles south of Atlanta. One message from Benoit's phone said: "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open," according to WWE.

The text messages led WWE to ask authorities to check on Benoit and his family.

District Attorney Scott Ballard said the messages appeared to be an attempt by Benoit to get someone to the home to find the bodies after his suicide.

SYM

Post by SYM »

Although I don't think WWE should be held 100% accountable for this atrocity, I certainly agree with the sentiment that they should really look into a program to better take care of their athletes then just a mandatory drug testing.

An accident is an accident, like what happpened to Owen Hart...and as tragic and one-in-a-million as that tragedy was, they changed up some of their policies after all that transpired. I don't really see how this can't be lead to some necessary reevaluation.

Let's be real here...the WWE probably had some inkling of an idea that they had a seriously, seriously troubled individual on their hands this whole time. Is it really worth driving some of these athletes to the ground until they can't take it anymore? Almost every single athlete under McMahon's wing that has died has done so by heart attack. More than just roids...stress.

SYM

Post by SYM »

Philaflava wrote: "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open."
:naswtf:

This is beyond absurd.

Trub320

Post by Trub320 »

SYMantiks wrote:
Philaflava wrote: "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open."

This is beyond absurd.
this motherfucker had more respect for his dogs than wife and kid

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Trub320 wrote:
SYMantiks wrote:

This is beyond absurd.
this motherfucker had more respect for his dogs than wife and kid
I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was saying that so that people wouldn't worry bout the dogs getting them when they tried to get into the house.

But, the police report said the dogs were roaming freely in the yard.

Hmmm.

SYM

Post by SYM »

Early Sunday morning, between 3:51 and 3:58 a.m., Benoit sent five text messages to co-workers:

Text Message 1 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoitג€™s cell phone
ג€œMy physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane, Fayetteville Georgia. 30215ג€

Text Message 2 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:53am)- Chris Benoitג€™s cell phone
ג€œThe dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is openג€

Text Message 3 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:54am)- Nancy Benoitג€™s cell phone
ג€œMy physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.
Fayetteville Georgia. 30215ג€

Text Message 4 to two co-workers (sent 6/24 at 3:55am)- Nancy Benoitג€™s cell phone
ג€œMy physical address is 130 Green Meadow Lane.
Fayetteville Georgia. 30215"

Text Message 5 to one co-worker (sent 6/24 at 3:58am)- Nancy Benoitג€™s cell phone
ג€œMy address is 130 Green Meadow Lane. Fayetteville Georgia. 30215ג€

Throughout the day on Sunday, WWE made numerous attempts to contact Benoit both at home and at local hospitals in the Atlanta area. As of 11:00 p.m., WWE officials were unable to establish contact with Chris Benoit.

At 12:30 p.m. on Monday, June 25, WWE officials were notified of the text messages sent to the co-workers the previous day. By 12:45 p.m., WWE had contacted Fayetteville County Sheriffג€™s office requesting they check on the Benoit family.

Fayetteville County Sheriffs office made contact with WWE at approximately 4:00 p.m. advising that they had entered the house of Chris Benoit and found three deceased bodies ג€“ an adult male, adult female and a male child. WWE was told that Benoitג€™s home was now considered a major crime scene.

The decision to cancel the live event scheduled in Corpus Christi that night was made between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. In keeping with company policy, and with limited knowledge regarding facts of the case, WWE choose to air a memorial dedicated to the career of Chris Benoit. As facts emerged surrounding the case, all tributes to Chris Benoit were removed both on-air and on WWE.com.

elohim

Post by elohim »

yea, exactly why i'm waitin til all the facts are in. so much conflictin info right now. benoit was supposedly dead when he sent those txt messages. it's clear he did it, but it just doesn't add up.

and why did it take 36 hours to go to his house?