Andvil's DVD Picks for Nov. 24th and Dec. 1st

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Andvil

Andvil's DVD Picks for Nov. 24th and Dec. 1st

Post by Andvil »

Andvil's DVD Picks for November 24th, 2009

Funny People (2009)
dir. Judd Apatow

Even though the structure of this movie is fucked up and feels like two completely different films, I still really enjoy it, and the funny parts make me laugh pretty hard. This is Seth Rogen's best work to date, and while Sandler isn't reaching his Punch-Drunk Love level, it's still a really affecting (and funny as hell) performance. Not top 10 of the year, but definitely top 20 for me.

Product Description:
Funny People pulls off quite a feat: it examines the sources of comedy and manages to be knockout funny. Adam Sandler plays George Simmons, a successful comedian of Adam Sandler proportions who is diagnosed with a fatal blood disease. Faced with impending death, he recognizes that he has no friends and decides to make a best friend out of an aspiring young comedian named Ira (Seth Rogen, Knocked Up). This lopsided relationship gradually takes on aspects of true friendship as Ira forces George to try to reconnect with the people in his life, including his ex-girlfriend Laura (Leslie Mann, 17 Again). But forging real relationships conflicts with all the impulses that feed Georgeג€™s comedy: can he truly re-create his life? Funny People has enough raw, no-inhibitions comedy to satisfy Sandler fans, but the core of the movie is far more complex and compelling--and significantly, Sandler rises to it. He, Rogen, and Mann all deliver superb performances, as does the supporting cast (including Jonah Hill, Superbad; Jason Schwartzman, Rushmore; and Eric Bana, Munich). Funny People fits into the ranks of such classics as Hannah and Her Sisters andTerms of Endearment: movies that blend sadness and joy into a vibrant picture of life. --Bret Fetzer

Angels & Demons (2009)
dir. Ron Howard

Ron Howard knows what he's doing, and Tom Hanks is a legend, and the cast is amazing, but for some unknown reason, I have absolutely no interest in seeing this. Should I?

Product Description:
If the devil is in the details, there's a lot of wicked fun in Angels & Demons, the sequel (originally a prequel) to The Da Vinci Code. Director Ron Howard delivers edge-of-your-pew thrills all over the Vatican, the City of Rome, and the deepest, dankest catacombs. Tom Hanks is dependably watchable in his reprised role as Professor Robert Langdon, summoned urgently to Rome on a matter of utmost urgency--which happens to coincide with the death of the Pope, meaning the Vatican is teeming with cardinals and Rome is teeming with the faithful. A religious offshoot group, calling themselves the Illuminati, which protested the Catholic Church's prosecution of scientists 400 years ago, has resurfaced and is making extreme, and gruesome, terrorist demands. The film zooms around the city, as Langdon follows clues embedded in art, architecture, and the very bone structure of the Vatican. The cast is terrific, including Ewan McGregor, who is memorable as a young prot

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

Michael Cera is gonna get done like Jon Heder if this continues. Shame.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Besides Gomorrah and maaaaybe the Gimme Shelter, I ain't buying any of these. Pretty weak releases for being so close to the holidays.

Mad Dog Morgan looks pretty intriguing though, Hopper is one of those guys I can watch in anything and enjoy myself.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote: Mad Dog Morgan looks pretty intriguing though, Hopper is one of those guys I can watch in anything and enjoy myself.
i've been waiting for a good version of this movie for ages, it's supposed to be one of hopper's best roles

idk how the fuck anybody can defend the end of funny people. movie should've been an hour shorter and didn't need neither the cancer nor leslie mann nor appatow's eminently choke-slam-worthy offspring
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Roy Johnson

Re: Andvil's DVD Picks for Nov. 24th and Dec. 1st

Post by Roy Johnson »

Andvil wrote:Image

Mad Dog Morgan (1976)
dir. Philippe Mora

Product Description:
They branded him. They raped him. They turned him into a Mad Dog, and now he s biting back. Mad Dog Morgan is the true story of how Daniel Morgan became Australia s most notorious criminal. He came to Australia looking for gold but found nothing except inhumanity and savage indifference. When colonial corruption turns him into a ferocious killer, the only way to stop him is to put him down. Dennis Hopper is unforgettable in this Ozploitation classic.
drizzle wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote: Mad Dog Morgan looks pretty intriguing though, Hopper is one of those guys I can watch in anything and enjoy myself.
i've been waiting for a good version of this movie for ages, it's supposed to be one of hopper's best roles
Oh shit, I've never even heard of this, and I'm a big Dennis Hopper fan.

Just checked Netflix, and while they have no copies on hand, it's available for instant streaming. :gyeah:

Netflix thinks that I'd only give it 2.8 stars, but I'm of the same mindstate as Tommy - I'll watch bad Hopper movies, and still enjoy 'em to some extent.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

netflix/imdb/any other populists site ratings are usually pretty unreliable when it comes to 'cult' type movies, so i wouldn't place too much stock in them

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Saturday Night Live: The Complete Fifth Season (1979-1980)
dir. Lorne Michaels

Product Description:
Returning for what would be the final season (1979-80) for many of the original cast and writers of SNL, the complete fifth season includes an array of comedic hosts, including Steve Martin, Eric Idle, Buck Henry, Rodney Dangerfield, Martin Sheen, Bea Arthur, Ted Knight, Elliot Gould, Burt Reynolds, Bob Newhart, and former cast member Chevy Chase. The complete fifth season of SNL features classic performances by Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Randy Newman, The B-52s, The J. Geils Band, Anne Murray, Grateful Dead, Blondie, as well as Paul Simon and James Taylor celebrating the 100th episode live from studio 8H.
They're taking their sweet fucking time with this shit, aren't they? I can't wait for 'em to start releasing full seasons from the Phil Hartman era (1985-1994). In the meantime, I can't even watch any fucking re-runs. The E Channel might air some 2004 episode because it features a Justin Timberlake performance, but that's about it.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

drizzle wrote:netflix/imdb/any other populists site ratings are usually pretty unreliable when it comes to 'cult' type movies, so i wouldn't place too much stock in them
I hear you, although I usually won't even bother to seek out info on a movie if I see a probable rating of less than 3 stars (based on about 900 movies that I've rated). Gotta break that habit.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

LameAim wrote:Michael Cera is gonna get done like Jon Heder if this continues. Shame.
even worse is the kid from Zombieland who is the poor man's Michael Cera.

I watched that flick last night and its really as if the character was written for Michael Cera but he turned it down.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

House of Games wrote:
LameAim wrote:Michael Cera is gonna get done like Jon Heder if this continues. Shame.

I watched that flick last night and its really as if the character was written for Michael Cera but he turned it down.
Not for nothing, and I can't remember who pointed it out on here, but Eisenberg was doing the awkward style of acting looong before Cera ever surfaced on Arrested Development.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
House of Games wrote:

Not for nothing, and I can't remember who pointed it out on here, but Eisenberg was doing the awkward style of acting looong before Cera ever surfaced on Arrested Development.
personally i blame both on radiohead and to lesser extent permissive parenting. but mostly radiohead.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Roy Johnson wrote:

Saturday Night Live: The Complete Fifth Season (1979-1980)
dir. Lorne Michaels

Product Description:
Returning for what would be the final season (1979-80) for many of the original cast and writers of SNL, the complete fifth season includes an array of comedic hosts, including Steve Martin, Eric Idle, Buck Henry, Rodney Dangerfield, Martin Sheen, Bea Arthur, Ted Knight, Elliot Gould, Burt Reynolds, Bob Newhart, and former cast member Chevy Chase. The complete fifth season of SNL features classic performances by Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Randy Newman, The B-52s, The J. Geils Band, Anne Murray, Grateful Dead, Blondie, as well as Paul Simon and James Taylor celebrating the 100th episode live from studio 8H.
They're taking their sweet fucking time with this shit, aren't they? I can't wait for 'em to start releasing full seasons from the Phil Hartman era (1985-1994). In the meantime, I can't even watch any fucking re-runs. The E Channel might air some 2004 episode because it features a Justin Timberlake performance, but that's about it.
word they really are. i only buy these when they are used or on sale for like 25.00 no way im paying 45.00 cuz theres alot of shit i couldn't care less about.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I don't think i've seen any of the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
House of Games wrote:

maybe, but who does it better? i wanted to fucking kick the screen in watching zombieland last night. even tho Cera plays a pussy, you still know hes funny from his Arrested Development days. This Eisenberg dude is just a pure fag.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Angels and Demons is worth seeing Night at the Museum is an abomination...

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Any chance somebody could hook me up with a link for that Gomorrah movie? I've been trying to find a good link for months now but my complete mental retardation has made my search fruitless. yo.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

gomorrah is the italian 'city of god'
i'm sure you've seen that, so gomorrah might not blow you mind, but it's real good anyway

yeah the kid in zombieland was annoying. i thought he was pretty funny though, just they put too much narration in so he starts to get on your nerves.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

Spartan wrote:I don't think i've seen any of the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels.
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 welcome to my netflix queue. Good thing that got brought up in this thread I've been meaning to see the movie responsible for this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xh7junyB2o&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xh7junyB2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:icedit: bullshit, netflix doesn't have it.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Mad Dog Morgan looks pretty intriguing though, Hopper is one of those guys I can watch in anything and enjoy myself.
moved by duck muscles

rob1ne

Post by rob1ne »

i think cera had to do paper heart because it's about him and his girlfriend and she handled most of the writing, and (before this next bit self :arrow:) i kinda want to see this.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:
Spartan wrote:I don't think i've seen any of the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels.
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 welcome to my netflix queue. Good thing that got brought up in this thread I've been meaning to see the movie responsible for this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xh7junyB2o&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xh7junyB2o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:icedit: bullshit, netflix doesn't have it.
Isn't the majority of SNDN2 footage from the first one anyway? Well, that's what I hear anyway.

I copped the lavish R2 release last week of the original. Crisp picture quality, original and alternate artwork sleeve, and booklet :copy: the R1 version.

Will be watching along with the original Black Christmas for festive fun.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

^^^ that dvd art is really ill.

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:gomorrah is the italian 'city of god'
Umm, no.

Odium, if you still need Gommorah I have a 720p version of it, its about 7 gigs, not sure if I can send it through filesharing, its on torrents too. Let me know if you still want it.

Niko

Post by Niko »

"A Christmas Tale" is amazing.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Into the Storm (2009)
dir. Thaddeus O'Sullivan

Brendan Gleeson as Churchill seems like it could be a monumental performance, although I have never heard of this movie

Product Description:
Into the Storm follows British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (Brendan Gleeson, 28 Days Later) as he launches ferociously into World War II. The movieג€™s greatest strength comes from a shifting back and forth in time, portraying Churchillג€™s post-war life as well, when the very qualities that made him so effective as a military leader threaten both his career and his marriage. Anyone seeking a detailed analysis of the war will be disappointed; Into the Storm skips through history, less interested in the ebb and flow of combat than the weighing of decisions and the composition of speeches. Although this may sound uncinematic, Gleeson does a remarkable job articulating Churchillג€™s creative thoughts as he walks to and fro in his bedclothes, mulling over the right phrase to sustain his countryג€™s morale, or facing FDR and Stalin across a table, working to shape an effective alliance. Janet McTeer (Tumbleweeds) is even better as Clementine Churchill, a woman who never sought the political life yet strove to support her belligerent, passionate husband as best she could. Written by Hugh Whitemore (author of Breaking the Code and The Gathering Storm, to which this is a sort of sequel), Into the Storm is a complex, well-rounded portrait, capturing how courage and indomitability can, in peacetime, turn brutish and bullying. --Bret Fetzer
:ohsh: didn't know about this. thank you!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

This box set came out a few weeks back.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6_oTxI33Yk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6_oTxI33Yk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^^ good trashy fun, i own 2 of those separately but in shitty pan/scan, would def upgrade if i found this cheap enough

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's currently a HMV exclusive and selling for

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

[quote="Spartan"]It's currently a HMV exclusive and selling for
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

^^ eeeh, more like mad max/escape from ny mashup, although they do use themed gangs if i remember correctly