The Hurt Locker (dir Kathryn Bigelow) TRAILER

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Icesickle wrote:Three Kings and Hurt Locker may have more than 10 years between them but they share some similiar themes ("Americanized" Muslims, an ancient Muslim culture clashing with American intruders, etc.). If there were a lot of great feature films that focused on combat in Iraq I would have compared Hurt Locker to them, but I don't have that luxury because there haven't been many good ones at all.
How is it the same theme? Three Kings is about a has been rapper, a wigger, and a peppered haired pussy magnet going treasure hunting. What conflict were they actually portraying? Sure as hell isn't war or the struggles that go along with it.

The Hurt Locker shows the conflict in a better way. I have friends that have done tours in Iraq and were on the teams that had to diffuse road side bombs and bust in houses. What they described to me is portrayed very well in The Hurt Locker.

So Iscickle don't you even compare that shit movie Three Kings to something that is on the level of portraying the combat in Iraq.

Also, by my friends story of the Gulf War, Jarhead wasn't too far off either.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

aside from providing a contemporary setting this movie has dick all to do with either of the gulf wars. there is very little political context, if any at all.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

How is it the same theme? Three Kings is about a has been rapper, a wigger, and a peppered haired pussy magnet going treasure hunting. What conflict were they actually portraying? Sure as hell isn't war or the struggles that go along with it.

I said they "share some similiar themes," not that they are about "the same theme." Learn to read before criticizing someone's point or calling them faggots for having an opinion.

Just because a film's more realistic than another doesn't necessarily make it better. I'm sure Apocalypse Now and Thin Red Line are never going to win points from vets for how realistic they are, but they're still two of the best films about war ever made.

I don't even know why you're getting butthurt over this. Hurt Locker's a great film. I just enjoyed Three Kings more.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Icesickle wrote:I don't even know why you're getting butthurt over this. Hurt Locker's a great film. I just enjoyed Three Kings more.
It's because what you are saying makes no sense whatsoever.

procure uno

Post by procure uno »

Icesickle wrote:

I said they "share some similiar themes," not that they are about "the same theme." Learn to read before criticizing someone's point or calling them faggots for having an opinion.

Just because a film's more realistic than another doesn't necessarily make it better. I'm sure Apocalypse Now and Thin Red Line are never going to win points from vets for how realistic they are, but they're still two of the best films about war ever made.
apocalypse now is based on joseph conrad's "heart of darkness" and the thin red line was a based on a completely fictionalized book about guadalcanal. (there are no large grassy hills on the island. at all)
I don't even know why you're getting butthurt over this. Hurt Locker's a great film. I just enjoyed Three Kings more.
that's like saying, "the longest day's a great film, but i enjoyed inglorious bastards more."

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

Icesickle wrote:
deepfriedjellol wrote:liked this movie alot, but comparing it to three kings is like comparing apocalypse now to the one scene in the wonder years where kevin arnold's dad has a korea flashback
That's not a good analogy at all.
i KNOW dood!
that was the point

you cant connect things like that
like american gangster and scarface. it might sound good in your head, but really, it isnt an accurate comparison because regardless of the possible connections because of drugs and gangsters, they are two VERY different movies that dont deserve to be talked about in the same thread

None

Post by None »

procure uno wrote:
that's like saying, "the longest day's a great film, but i enjoyed inglorious bastards more."
Which is entirely valid because enjoying a movie and thinking a movie is great are two different things. You can thinks My Diner with Andre is a great movie, but didn't enjoy it that much. Someone beat me to death with a long board for trying to help out Ice dawg.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Just saw this tonight and I was VERY impressed.

Definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year, and it certainly felt like one of the most realistic war movies I've ever seen.

Bigelow did such a good job with this movie. Everyone was good, and Jeremy Renner gave a kick ass award worthy performance. The handheld camera really worked well at getting you involved and creating tension. It showed how big a problem the communication issue is even when you have an interpreter at hand.

The jets flying over randomly was a nice touch too.
It was pretty funny seeing almost every named actor getting killed soon after they made an appearance. That took guts both on Bigelow and the actors' part.
8.5 outta 10.
Last edited by jamrage on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

procure uno wrote:i liked this movie. but bigelow's direction was kind of disjointed. for instance, the sniper battle. at first its this fast paced fire fight, then out of no where she interjects this shot of a dispensed shell casing falling in super slow motion, followed by a strange 5-minutes too long bonding session between sandborn and james.
It's definitely jarring when it happens, but it's so obvious that I think she's clearly trying to get the audience to remember that she's trying to accomplish with the film. The sniper battle is great, but she showed enough for you to get the idean of how things like that went. It felt like she was more interested in showing what it was like to be a soldier, not make a mindless action movie. That's why the bonding session was perfect because that's what she's trying to get the audience to focus on.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

jamrage wrote:It felt like she was more interested in showing what it was like to be a soldier, not make a mindless action movie..
i took it more as a try to show what would happen if a standard gung-ho play by his own rules type of dude from a mindless action movie was a real soldier

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

drizzle wrote:
jamrage wrote:It felt like she was more interested in showing what it was like to be a soldier, not make a mindless action movie..
i took it more as a try to show what would happen if a standard gung-ho play by his own rules type of dude from a mindless action movie was a real soldier
Interesting theory, but then why give him a family?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

jamrage wrote:
drizzle wrote:
to show how uncomfortable and basically useless he is when not engaged in war. the thing with the cereal contrasted with the big smile on his face in the end pretty much says it all.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

drizzle wrote:
jamrage wrote:
drizzle wrote:
to show how uncomfortable and basically useless he is when not engaged in war. the thing with the cereal contrasted with the big smile on his face in the end pretty much says it all.
Well yeah, but I looked at it just that some people are career soldiers and he's one of those guys. I've known a couple people who just love all that hoo-ra shit.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

he's beyond just being a career soldier though, he gets off on war
basically his whole lifestyle can be summed up by the opening quote

when he's home, he's having a heart-to-heart talk with the family member that can't understand or respond, like drizzle said he's just uncomfortable in a non-war environment
the whole time he's home it's like he's going through withdrawal and doesnt know how to act

I loved how as soon as he dismantles the car bomb, he goes back to the hummer for a smoke.... cant remember if it showed him doing that after any other ones

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Andvil wrote:he's beyond just being a career soldier though, he gets off on war

when he's home, he's having a heart-to-heart talk with the family member that can't understand or respond, like drizzle said he's just uncomfortable in a non-war environment
the whole time he's home it's like he's going through withdrawal and doesnt know how to act

I loved how as soon as he dismantles the car bomb, he goes back to the hummer for a smoke.... cant remember if it showed him doing that after any other ones
Yeah, but I'm saying that guys like that exist in real life. I don't think he's some imaginary gung ho guy from a universe that doesn't exist. There are guys that just love battle.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

don't get me wrong, i don't think this guy is some fantastic invention. but i do think that he's purposefully exaggerated to make a point.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Finally saw this tonight. Movie was good but I don't know if its as good as the critics have made it out to be. I thought it was brilliant to have both Fiennes and Pearce on the posters and DVD back cover yet they're just favor cameos. Obviously Bigelow wasn't working with a huge budget and these guys were kind enough to donate 1 day of filming for the cause.

starks

Post by starks »

the last three minutes of this (bollywood alternative rock shit) was absolutely horrible

the rest was solid

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

i loved this movie. just saw it on monday and was thoroughly entertained from start to finish.

i wont lie...i almost cried when the dexters brother got shot cuz i knew how sad little buddy would be. i got so invested in the characters which i was not expecting.

very well made. i cant believe the creator of point break made this movie.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

technically dexter's bro didn't get "shot." he blew up into a million pieces because he was a naive fuck.

Orale Holmes

Post by Orale Holmes »

jamrage wrote:

Yeah, but I'm saying that guys like that exist in real life. I don't think he's some imaginary gung ho guy from a universe that doesn't exist. There are guys that just love battle.
its not that they love battle. The point is when you get to experience that big of an event and nobody can relate and will never be able to experience it the actions of everyday life make you feel inadequate. Its fucked.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

same premise in the movie brothers.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Orale Holmes wrote:
jamrage wrote:

its not that they love battle. The point is when you get to experience that big of an event and nobody can relate and will never be able to experience it the actions of everyday life make you feel inadequate. Its fucked.
Plus the lack of excitement in normal life, as portrayed in the grocery store scene.

I have a friend who was a Marine and did a couple tours in Iraq. He finished his obligation with the Marines and then was free to go on with civilian life. He lasted 6 months and then signed up for the Army. I asked him why he did it, and he said that he missed being in the military because he has a hard time relating to people in everyday life.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Random Sample wrote:
Orale Holmes wrote:
jamrage wrote:

Plus the lack of excitement in normal life, as portrayed in the grocery store scene.

I have a friend who was a Marine and did a couple tours in Iraq. He finished his obligation with the Marines and then was free to go on with civilian life. He lasted 6 months and then signed up for the Army. I asked him why he did it, and he said that he missed being in the military because he has a hard time relating to people in everyday life.

same thing here. I had a friend who you just assumed wanted to die. He did 3 or 4 tours in Iraq, I can't remember. He would get out and think he was done, then would just go right back in... He was a marine as well. He wouldn't even spend any of his money, when he finally did get out for good he had like 60,000 in his savings account...he really isn't the same any more...

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Trademark wrote:same thing here. I had a friend who you just assumed wanted to die. He did 3 or 4 tours in Iraq, I can't remember. He would get out and think he was done, then would just go right back in... He was a marine as well. He wouldn't even spend any of his money, when he finally did get out for good he had like 60,000 in his savings account...he really isn't the same any more...
My boy told me about cats like that in the services. Especially the ones that are in the reserves. He said that people who work for the government and are reserves still get paid for their job when they are called to duty. So a bunch of these guys would keep doing tours in Iraq and getting paid through the military and get paid through their jobs. One guy did this for like 4 years straight and he was taking home like twice the amount of his normal salary. Plus he didn't have to pay taxes on the shit either. When you are over in Iraq you hardly spend any money at all. So once he got done in Iraq he came back to hundreds of thousands of dollars in his bank account.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Trademark wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
Orale Holmes wrote:
jamrage wrote:

same thing here. I had a friend who you just assumed wanted to die. He did 3 or 4 tours in Iraq, I can't remember. He would get out and think he was done, then would just go right back in... He was a marine as well. He wouldn't even spend any of his money, when he finally did get out for good he had like 60,000 in his savings account...he really isn't the same any more...
I stand by my statement that there are guys in the military who love to be able to be in a war and fight. I've met these guys. I went to high school (military school) with a douche who wanted to join up so he could "kill gooks and towelheads" and he was completely serious. Also he was fucking crazy, and ended up joining the Marines.

I'm not saying people like the guy I know represent the majority of people in the armed services, but for them it's more just having some excitement in their lives and not being able to relate to civies.

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

Philaflava wrote:technically dexter's bro didn't get "shot." he blew up into a million pieces because he was a naive fuck.
hey thanks for clarifying that. really appreciate it.