New AMC show - Rubicon

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

To finally see some action occur on this show was a little strange.
Shit is still good to me.
Anyone else think Rubicon's neighbor story angle is highly unbelievable?

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Another thing, it has been mentioned several times that API pays less than other jobs in the private sector.
If they can't even talk about what they do for a living, how does that help them career wise?
Obviously the heads of the company are powerful and connected, but how does this help the average worker at the firm, what is the enticement of working there?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Anyone else think Rubicon's neighbor story angle is highly unbelievable?
Honestly for a long time there i was sure she was a plant put there to spy on him. Don't think so anymore though.

So yeah, sticking with this show has paid off like a motherfucker. Just insanely insanely good. It's almost like an intelligent 24, only much more believable with better acting and direction. The slow burn of the first half of the season really makes sense now and seeing the evolution of all the major players (Will and Kale especially) has been very convincing.

Really can't wait for the last two episodes. Didn't know this wasn't doing well ratings-wise, would be a real shame if we didn't get another season.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Also, it took me the entire season to figure out who Will's neighbor was, she was the soldier wife of Basilone in The Pacific, which James Badge Dale was also in.

jay

Post by jay »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Also, it took me the entire season to figure out who Will's neighbor was, she was the soldier wife of Basilone in The Pacific, which James Badge Dale was also in.
Good call ... knew i recognized her.

I still get the feeling that she is a plant too with her reaching for more info about his gig at API and not being at all phased by the fact that Will's actions have been type bazaar since he first knocked on her apartment door. We as the viewer obviously have the context as to why he is acting that way but for a stranger to just be like "sure, i like you... c'mon and stay the night, buddy".... yeah, a little bit of disconnect.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I still don't like this show very much, but I have enjoyed watching Cale and Will's characters develop.

The whole Middle Eastern stuff with Kateb that the team has been chasing all season is pretty difficult to follow. They could do a lot more props wise (a marker board or some shit) to help remind the audience who is who etc. It's all vocal and you never see any of the people they're following face to face. Probably true to life, but I find myself lost a lot of the time, and therefore don't give a shit.

Miranda Richardson as the wife is just a terrible character. She's done next to nothing all season long, just ambled around every episode.

Again, when you watch this back to back with Mad Men you see how poor it is in comparison. I'll be glad to have this out of my life.

Latest ratings numbers: It was yet another 0.2 adults 18-49 rating for Rubicon. Maybe itג€™s getting contagious, Mad Men was down a tenth to a 0.6 rating with adults 18-49.

Rubicon is easily the lowest rated show of the ones I saw. R.I.P.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
So yeah, sticking with this show has paid off like a motherfucker. Just insanely insanely good.
I thought this exact sentence watching the most recent episode. It has been slow going but this is exactly what I was hoping for.

I don't see why AMC just wouldn't let it roll for another season. They're on house money. Six years or so ago all they were good for was a Death Wish marathon. What was Mad Men or Breaking Bad's season one ratings like? How much can it cost to even shoot this show? Its all modern day with no special effects.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I can definitely see this being a one-off. A GREAT one-off, but a one-off none the less. Unless they don't give full closure on the current story, I don't see how the show continues.

If they wrap this all the way and the conspiracy is exposed, would API continue to exist? The whole point of the organization was to feed intel to Spangler and his bros so they can make bank while fucking shit up, right? Why would the gov't continue to fund it? Is Will going to move his team to the NSA where they uncover another conspiracy? We shall see. Excellent show though.

craig

Post by craig »

jamrage wrote: Latest ratings numbers: It was yet another 0.2 adults 18-49 rating for Rubicon. Maybe itג€™s getting contagious, Mad Men was down a tenth to a 0.6 rating with adults 18-49.

Rubicon is easily the lowest rated show of the ones I saw. R.I.P.
in regards to the ratings, they are probably always going to have low ratings in that time slot. first they were going up against true blood and now it's boardwalk empire. it almost seems like amc didn't think that it was going to be received as well as madmen and breaking bad because they didn't put it in that 10pm time slot. part of the reason i'm so far behind on the season is because i forget that it's on.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

fantastic episode last night

Dids

Post by Dids »

This show is so fucking good.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

jamrage wrote: Again, when you watch this back to back with Mad Men you see how poor it is in comparison. I'll be glad to have this out of my life.
I can understand how Rubicon is not for you. I like the pacing, the storyline, and most of the characters.
The same way I cannot get into Mad Men. I see the quality of the show, but I could care less about the lives of professional white people in the 1960s. Shit is just not for me.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

The AMC series has not been performing well in the ratings but, according to a listing in the Backstage industry casting paper, Rubicon has been renewed for year two. Hereג€™s their info:
Rubicon (Drama, AMC) A think-tank analyst comes to the realization that his colleagues are not who he thought they were and may be a part of a covert organization secretly manipulating world politics and affairs. James Badge Dale stars. Casting: Avy Kaufman Casting, 180 Varick St., 16th Fl., New York, NY 10014. Premiered Aug. 1. Renewed.
Last Sundayג€™s episode attracted just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 997,000 total viewers. That pales when compared to AMCג€™s Mad Men which scored a 0.6 demo rating and 2.1 million viewers.

The Backstage listing seems like itג€™s most likely a typo or error because, for now, they seem to be the only one saying there will be another year.

Crappy Pants

Post by Crappy Pants »

Dids wrote:This show is so fucking good.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
jamrage wrote: Again, when you watch this back to back with Mad Men you see how poor it is in comparison. I'll be glad to have this out of my life.
I can understand how Rubicon is not for you. I like the pacing, the storyline, and most of the characters.
The same way I cannot get into Mad Men. I see the quality of the show, but I could care less about the lives of professional white people in the 1960s. Shit is just not for me.

:cheers: Rubicon has grown into one of my favorite shows especially the last few weeks. Hope it sticks around for another season just to see where they can go with it. Feel the same way about Mad Men and starting to feel that way with Boardwalk Empire shows that even though I am not digging can see why other people like them.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

fucking great episode

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

So they sank an oil tanker??

That's the big deal?

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA!

GTFOH

Seriously everyone, are we all watching the same show?

Rubicon on AMC?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

jamrage wrote:So they sank an oil tanker??

That's the big deal?

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA!

GTFOH

Rubicon on AMC?
The fact that you continue to watch without liking it is faggy as fuck.

Show is awesome. Great episode.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

blastmaster wrote:
jamrage wrote:So they sank an oil tanker??

That's the big deal?

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA!

GTFOH

Rubicon on AMC?
The fact that you continue to watch without liking it is faggy as fuck.

Show is awesome. Great episode.
I'm giving it the full season to give it a chance. I'm also still waiting for this epic reveal everyone was on about, or was that it?

An oil tanker blowing up is just a fucking boring ass terrorist attack. If it's the beginning of more attacks that's something else, but Jesus that was dumb. And the fact they figured it out RIGHT before it blew up? Trite as fuck.

Don't worry mang, you can go down with this Titanic next season.

Dids

Post by Dids »

You realize that they explained, in somewhat obvious fashion, exactly why blowing up the tanker was a big deal right?

That this specific target spoke to the argument they were having earlier in the show between the feds and Miles? About why the terrorists hit what they it?

Yes, there's some slightly goofy over dramatic timing. Yes, it's dumb that Will was able to fight off a trained assassin (who is moonlighting as an evil lawyer over on Terriers, another great new show).

If you're going to bitch about the show, you may want to consider actually watching it. Or, you might just realize that it's not really your speed and stop watching all together.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Dids wrote:You realize that they explained, in somewhat obvious fashion, exactly why blowing up the tanker was a big deal right?

That this specific target spoke to the argument they were having earlier in the show between the feds and Miles? About why the terrorists hit what they it?

Yes, there's some slightly goofy over dramatic timing. Yes, it's dumb that Will was able to fight off a trained assassin (who is moonlighting as an evil lawyer over on Terriers, another great new show).

If you're going to bitch about the show, you may want to consider actually watching it. Or, you might just realize that it's not really your speed and stop watching all together.
Duds,

Yes, they explained why blowing up the tanker was a big deal. Not buying that blowing up one oil tanker is going to somehow paralyze our entire energy situation. Further, it's a lame attack, and was a complete waste of a potentially great idea in a white American terrorist carrying out attacks for Al Qaeda. Instead, he blows himself up. Yay.

I'll try to rein in my considerable criticism as I can tell you guys are really enamored with this show, but I had to say something after that ridiculousness on Sunday.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

jamrage was hoping for reptilians..

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

AWAE wrote:jamrage was hoping for reptilians..
:lol:

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

last episode ratings were up 50% from the previous one

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

jamrage wrote:
Yes, they explained why blowing up the tanker was a big deal. Not buying that blowing up one oil tanker is going to somehow paralyze our entire energy situation. Further, it's a lame attack, and was a complete waste of a potentially great idea in a white American terrorist carrying out attacks for Al Qaeda. Instead, he blows himself up. Yay.
Jammie, isn't this a more realistic attack in the wake of 9/11?
The more spectacular, the more unlikely the shit could ever be pulled off.
Plus, these dudes aren't really trying to bring America down, they are trying to allow events to occur that they can profit off of. This clearly fits the bill, and doesn't lead back to them directly.

No one is saying this shit is amazing, but I think it works well.

:icedit: - Okay, Blast did say it was awesome. :lol:

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
jamrage wrote:
Jammie, isn't this a more realistic attack in the wake of 9/11?
The more spectacular, the more unlikely the shit could ever be pulled off.
Plus, these dudes aren't really trying to bring America down, they are trying to allow events to occur that they can profit off of. This clearly fits the bill, and doesn't lead back to them directly.

No one is saying this shit is amazing, but I think it works well.

:icedit: - Okay, Blast did say it was awesome. :lol:
:lol: Fair point about them taking advantage of the attacks financially, but again, surely they could have come up with something a bit more spectacular. Hell, even having a bunch of white Al Qaeda dudes shoot up a shopping mall or school would have been better.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i am really happy i stuck with this. sunday is a stacked night for tv.

madman
rubicon
dexter
boardwalk
eastbound
bored to death (i know people hate it but i enjoy)
dexter (despite my complaints still better than most shit on tv, just the weakest drama of the night)
venture brothers
metalacolypse

it takes me all week to catch up on the dvr tip.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

ALASKA wrote: apparently the season finale is supposed to make it all worthwhile. we shall see.
:clay:

Loved/hated it.
I changed the channel during the break, and miss less than one minute. How did Katherine run into Rubicon's neighbor?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
ALASKA wrote: apparently the season finale is supposed to make it all worthwhile. we shall see.
:clay:

Loved/hated it.
I changed the channel during the break, and miss less than one minute. How did Katherine run into Rubicon's neighbor?

Shit did not make sense, Katherine went to the safehouse her husband told her about and Rubicon's neighbor was there but it was obviously not her apartment that Rubicon was banging her out in. They gave no backstory at all about her in this new secret agent role.

Eposide was a major let down after the last few and if this was it last weeks would have been the better one to leave off of.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

What a shitty season finale.

Glad to see Richardson's character get bodied, she was fucking worthless the entire season.

Kinda makes you wonder why they didn't just kill Will the same way, it's not like he could have stopped it.

LOL @ this amazing reveal that was supposed to make it all worthwhile, and it's an oil tanker explosion.

Can't front, I love talking shit about this mediocre show.

If the reports that it got picked up for a second season are true, I might have to watch the first episode just to see how they play it.