The Next Movie Tournament

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

The Next Movie Tournament

Post by Spartan »

War

I've been weighing up the pros and cons for a WWII themed movie tournament or just a general War themed movie that could include other war themed from history or more contemporary times (nothing sci-fi though...save that for another time). I was considering 64 nominations like the last one but that might be stretching it even for some of the movie buffs here.

The trouble is, if it's just WWII themed movies it might alienate some folks who post in CYE who aren't that familiar with many films in the criteria other than Saving Private Ryan, Downfall and Inglorious Basterds - more recent films. The advantage however is putting them in brackets more sensibly (Pacific, Eastern Front, Espionage, Navy or even PoW if folks are up for it)

Alternatively, if the theme is just War movies in general, that opens up more options for more people to nominate films and have their say. The big disadvantage there, is putting everything in brackets without them being haphazardly lumped in there and letting each film get a fair shot.

Have your say here and vote for which one you'd prefer so we can avoid any moaning about it later on down the line during the nominations process.

Last edited by Spartan on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric

Post by ric »

WW2. great era for movies

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

any war. civil war. ww1 ww2 ww3
vietnam, gulf 1, gulf 2

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

If we make it a war-tournament then there's a bigger chance that people have seen every movie in the bracket, making everything a bit more fair, I think. On the other hand a lot of classics will have to be omitted from a wartourney.

Army of Shadows and Where Eagles Dare are probably my favorite warmovies, so I'm looking forward to it either way!
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

My vote is for WW2 only. Its been covered in film significantly more than any other war and There are so many great movies to choose from and yet there still isn't a clear best option like there are for other wars.
If we make it all wars I think it wont be as fun cause honestly does anything have a chance against apocalypse now?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

word tommygunz, nothing can step to apocalypse now

my vote is keep it to ww2 only

prediction: dirty dozen wins
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Dan

Post by Dan »

You could even break up the WWII films. Europe/Nazi based vs. Pearl Harbor/Mayday.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Any war including made up wars so Starship Troopers can win this thing best movie about how those in power get us to fight.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Tommy Bunz wrote:My vote is for WW2 only. Its been covered in film significantly more than any other war and There are so many great movies to choose from and yet there still isn't a clear best option like there are for other wars.
If we make it all wars I think it wont be as fun cause honestly does anything have a chance against apocalypse now?
Apocalypse Now steam rolling it's way to the final really worries me. That's a major reason behind this dilemma, not just because it's held in such high regard amongst most people, but the fact that any other movies placed in the same bracket won't get a look-in with little contemplation for it's merits. Makes me wonder if folks will just go on auto-pilot.

I've been dwelling on this for a while now and for me personally I'm swayed towards strictly WWII themed movies but I'd rather let the vote here decide upon it, honor the final decision and structure the tournie around it. Really want to avoid the same five or six folk having their say during the tournament and not have others feel excluded because they might only be familiar with more contemporary titles.
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:word tommygunz, nothing can step to apocalypse now

my vote is keep it to ww2 only

prediction: dirty dozen wins
Regardless of the final result here, it's a given that The Dirty Dozen more than qualifies for the upcoming tournament. Hopefully there's some in-depth debate about this movie.
ThaJim2 wrote:Any war including made up wars so Starship Troopers can win this thing best movie about how those in power get us to fight.
Don't want sci-fi related movies to be in this at all but I definitely agree with you about the propaganda and jingoism in Starship Troopers. Very on point with the satire.

You made some great calls in The Southern Movie Tournament like Gator and I'm looking forward to hearing your nominations again.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Needs to stick to WW2 movies for all the reasons stated. Regardless of the results of this poll it needs to be WW2 movies... Just a war movie could be convoluted as hell... I like the idea of a ww2 movie and the categories that would come from that.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

ww2 only
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

admiral

Post by admiral »

The thought of Saving Private Ryan winning it all because most posters saw it during their concrete cognitive developmental stage is a huge concern

If it goes the other way, I think you have to stick to wars that actually happened.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

admiral wrote:The thought of Saving Private Ryan winning it all because most posters saw it during their concrete cognitive developmental stage is a huge concern

If it goes the other way, I think you have to stick to wars that actually happened.
I'm much more worried about Inglorious Bastards winning, and I'm far from a SPR jocker.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

WW2 only.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

admiral

Post by admiral »

Does something like Ian McKellan's Richard III count as a WW2 movie technically?

admiral

Post by admiral »

Ice, put IB up against SPR in the first round so only one of them has a chance to contaminate the rest of the tournament.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

admiral wrote:Does something like Ian McKellan's Richard III count as a WW2 movie technically?
clever but i don't think it should, even though it's dope as hell

that movie only uses ww2 as a setting, and it could really be set in any war (that's kinda the point)

if we're going ww2 only we should pick movie that focus on the spefics of that war, either in the minute 'life in the trenches' details or larger political themes or whatever else

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Weird, most of the written posts are in favor for a WWII Movie Only Tournament but the votes so far say otherwise.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

You don't need to make a poll to decide what poll you're going make.

Fuck people's opinions. Do what you want. You're the one putting the work in.

Me, personally, I'd like to see a WW2 poll because the discussion would be more focused. If you open it to all war films the poll would be too big, people would start bitching about negligible films that they and 10 other people like that didn't get in, etc.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Icesickle wrote: Fuck people's opinions. Do what you want. You're the one putting the work in.
this

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

I know it's a lot of work, but separate tournaments for WWII and Vietnam would be ill. I guess you could leave Apocalypse Now out of the Vietnam tournament to make it interesting.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^^^ word to separate tournaments, i'd like to see a vietnam one after

but true or false: if you remove apocalypse now it's between full metal jacket & platoon

also let it be known that i will never vote against apocalypse now under any conceivable circumstances
1. Nas
2. Drake

admiral

Post by admiral »

If anyone has seen Platoon in the last 10 years, they would realize it is an overly simplistic reduction of good vs evil vs retarded vietnamese children getting their heads caved in by gun butts.

Casualties of War is a far better movie...

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah srs lol at comparing platoon to FMJ

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

between them as in one of those two will win

i prefer full metal jacket by far
1. Nas
2. Drake

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Oh well, fuck it then. WWII Movie Tournament it is.

Vietnam War Movie Tournament another time. I had something else planned for Q3 2011 though.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

YES!

citizen

Post by citizen »

the thin red line >

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

citizen wrote:the thin red line >

Me you and icesickle are going to have to put in work..

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

back when i saw it, i was pretty young, fell asleep

will peep again
1. Nas
2. Drake