Why am I buying dvds and blu-ray again?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Sucka Ducka

Why am I buying dvds and blu-ray again?

Post by Sucka Ducka »

So I'm going to go give my 2 giant boxes of a few hundred VHS movies away (my uncle and grandpa live together and still watch VHS) or try to sell them to the pawn or something. Any better ideas of what I can do with them?

Better yet, can anyone explain to me why i am wasting my money upgrading to dvd and blu-ray? I have a ton of dvds already, and now I am hooked on buying blu-rays. I have a pretty nice hi-def flatscreen tv, and I plan on buying another once I get a place of my own (no use in getting one for the room mate to use) I can download pretty much anything on my computer to an external harddrive and then stream those to any tv I want in the house, so I am starting to have trouble figuring out why I am wasting my $$ on this "collection" that will again someday become outdated. Especially since you can now download the hi-res/hi-def files. I know they eat up a lot of space, but external hard drives are fucking cheap.

Can someone sell me on continuing my collection so I don't feel like I'm wasting money everytime I buy a movie? (*I have a similar struggle with cds/vinyl, however I can usually convince myself that it is to support the artist as most of the music I buy isn't Top 40 superstars...I can't quite use the same selling tactic on myself for movies). The only thing I can sell myself on is that I can take a hard-copy over to a friends house or over to a dates house...But then again, I have a burner, its just not a blu-ray burner. So..yeah. I got nothin'.

On the flipside, I started to look at selling my whole collection, but resell value is hardly worth it and I have a LOT. I hate sitting on a collection that has "holes" in terms of my favorites, so I still have that child-like compulsion to buy the rest to complete the collection. I have about 60 or so more dvd/blu-ray to buy before I've fully replaced my favorites which were on VHS or have come out since. Fuck.

What are YOUR reasons for buying them still?

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

unless your downloading or streaming 40 plus gigs of data per movie, the quality is always going to be superior on blu-ray.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

What manwhore said is a very good point.

I don't think we have to worry about things getting outdated again, I don't think there is anything after bluray, as far as home video quality goes. There is no higher resolution as we are finally at film-quality level now. I feel pretty comfortable upgrading many of my favorite movies to bluray because I know its the final format I have to buy them in (as long as they are properly remastered/mixed/correct aspect ratios, etc). I'm pretty addicted to the format and have to try to control myself from upgrading everything.

I also like having a large collection, I like the look of it, I like having hundreds of titles at reach at any given moment. I plan on having a library of just movies someday.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

only thing you need to buy is double layered dvd-r's. takes up alot less space around the house especially if you plan on having a big collection..

doesnt look as flashy but you can have double to triple the collection with nowhere near the amount of space taken up. and if you're a quality nazi like alot of people i know with the hooked up tv's, you wont have a dip in quality at all.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

i still buy dvd/blue ray/cds. i struggle with the same thoughts, especially now that i have a kid to worry about. in many ways it does seem like a waste of money. at least in terms of the music, i do like to support artists. on the plus side, there's so very few albums released these days that are worth the purchase. when it comes to movies, i usually wait until shit is cheap and pick it up. if i buy a movie new, i'll have to be confident i'll watch it multiple times to make it worthwhile.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

i struggle with this as well. agree that blu-ray is as good as its gonna get. one of the big selling points for BR is all the extras and the packaging(criterion). my biggest problem is wanting the dvd of that rare obscure movie that may never come out on blu-ray.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i don't struggle with it cause i stridently avoid thinking about it. part of is love for cinema, part is a weird satisfaction from having a huge library at your disposal, part is pure compulsion and hoarding tendencies.

watching movies is something you do

collecting tons of dvds you probably don't need is something you live
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

A-fucking-men.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I have around 500 DVDs. Just bought my first Blu-ray player in January and have already picked up about 40 Blu-rays. Some were upgrades, others were blind buys or just titles I neglected picking up on DVD.

In the 3 months that I have owned the Blu-ray player, I have yet to watch any of the discs I own.

My Blu-ray player is wifi enabled and came with a free month of Netflix Streaming, so I've just been watching movies on there. When the free trial ended I decided to keep it, so now I'm paying $7.99/month. The quality seems great and it's just so much easier scrolling through my queue than grabbing something off of my shelf.

Having said that, this week I pre-ordered 2 more Blu-rays...that I will probably never watch, but yet I feel like I have to have them.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Allright, you guys made me feel better about my addictive hoarder habits. Word.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I don't think we have to worry about things getting outdated again, I don't think there is anything after bluray, as far as home video quality goes.
Let's meet in this thread in five years and review this statement.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Reggie wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:I don't think we have to worry about things getting outdated again, I don't think there is anything after bluray, as far as home video quality goes.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
Reggie wrote:

well, blu ray is operating with a 405 nm laser, which is at the very end of what our eyes can see (400-700 nm for visible light detection). anything smaller than that, and you start dealing with x-ray land. Therefore, some sort of holographic data storage is the next route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Nl5H wrote:
Jayou Ayen wrote:
Reggie wrote:

well, blu ray is operating with a 405 nm laser, which is at the very end of what our eyes can see (400-700 nm for visible light detection). anything smaller than that, and you start dealing with x-ray land. Therefore, some sort of holographic data storage is the next route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_data_storage
:smugkid:

Hayzoos

Re: Why am I buying dvds and blu-ray again?

Post by Hayzoos »

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:So I'm going to go give my 2 giant boxes of a few hundred VHS movies away (my uncle and grandpa live together and still watch VHS) or try to sell them to the pawn or something. Any better ideas of what I can do with them?

Better yet, can anyone explain to me why i am wasting my money upgrading to dvd and blu-ray? I have a ton of dvds already, and now I am hooked on buying blu-rays. I have a pretty nice hi-def flatscreen tv, and I plan on buying another once I get a place of my own (no use in getting one for the room mate to use) I can download pretty much anything on my computer to an external harddrive and then stream those to any tv I want in the house, so I am starting to have trouble figuring out why I am wasting my $$ on this "collection" that will again someday become outdated. Especially since you can now download the hi-res/hi-def files. I know they eat up a lot of space, but external hard drives are fucking cheap.

Can someone sell me on continuing my collection so I don't feel like I'm wasting money everytime I buy a movie? (*I have a similar struggle with cds/vinyl, however I can usually convince myself that it is to support the artist as most of the music I buy isn't Top 40 superstars...I can't quite use the same selling tactic on myself for movies). The only thing I can sell myself on is that I can take a hard-copy over to a friends house or over to a dates house...But then again, I have a burner, its just not a blu-ray burner. So..yeah. I got nothin'.

On the flipside, I started to look at selling my whole collection, but resell value is hardly worth it and I have a LOT. I hate sitting on a collection that has "holes" in terms of my favorites, so I still have that child-like compulsion to buy the rest to complete the collection. I have about 60 or so more dvd/blu-ray to buy before I've fully replaced my favorites which were on VHS or have come out since. Fuck.

You are a faggot of epic proportions.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Sucka Ducka

Re: Why am I buying dvds and blu-ray again?

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Hayzoos wrote:
Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:So I'm going to go give my 2 giant boxes of a few hundred VHS movies away (my uncle and grandpa live together and still watch VHS) or try to sell them to the pawn or something. Any better ideas of what I can do with them?

You are a faggot of epic proportions.
Hey there, lil buddy. How are ya?

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

I've bought less than 10 cds/dvds/blurays combined over my entire life. I can rarely watch things more than once. If big lebowski or pulp fiction or whatever is on tv, sure, I'll watch for 20-30 minutes before I get bored but that's it.

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

i sold my dvd collection of about 100 dvds ten years ago.
i'd say once or twice a year i think "i wish i could watch ____ right now."
but 99% of the time i'd rather watch something i've never seen before.
watching the same shit over and over is for children or adults with the brain capacity of a child.

hustler

Post by hustler »

Cowy wrote:I've bought less than 10 cds/dvds/blurays combined over my entire life. I can rarely watch things more than once. If big lebowski or pulp fiction or whatever is on tv, sure, I'll watch for 20-30 minutes before I get bored but that's it.
same.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex