Cabin In The Woods Trailer (a Joss Whedon joint)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

One person already said it was great before any spoilers were mentioned, and from reading posts in my two cents, I gather most people in these parts know how to do selective reading and even ignore certain posts.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Blockhead wrote:
Ramen wrote:In my opinion if you choose to enter a thread after the movie drops you're on your own.

Except the whole thing where people who haven't seen the movie yet read threads like this to gauge how it's being received by people who have seen it to help inform their opinion of whether they want to see the movie or not. There's that little contingent.
fuck them.

twitchfilm.com
rottentomatoes.com

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

That's harsh, bro.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thoroughly enjoyed this. I was stoned and don't watch too many horror flicks, but I had a great time.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Ramen wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
Ramen wrote:In my opinion if you choose to enter a thread after the movie drops you're on your own.

Except the whole thing where people who haven't seen the movie yet read threads like this to gauge how it's being received by people who have seen it to help inform their opinion of whether they want to see the movie or not. There's that little contingent.
fuck them.

twitchfilm.com
rottentomatoes.com
Movies aren't premiering the same time everywhere and there are other timelags such as leaking to the net ahead of theatrical releases or even festival-premieres.

Be considerate, it doesn't take a huge effort. White text is dope but if you don't feel like doing that just write SPOILERS. It's not asking much.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Ramen wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

fuck them.

twitchfilm.com
rottentomatoes.com
:winter:

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Movies aren't premiering the same time everywhere and there are other timelags such as leaking to the net ahead of theatrical releases or even festival-premieres.

Be considerate, it doesn't take a huge effort. White text is dope but if you don't feel like doing that just write SPOILERS. It's not asking much.
I mean we're discussing the movie after a major release, how long do we have to white text.

But whatever majority rules.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

In the end it's no worse than reading most reviews. You usually get 2-3rd's of the story narrated to you and then a hint at how it ends. I only read the first and last paragraphs these days. OT, sorry.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

None

Post by None »

Ramen wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Movies aren't premiering the same time everywhere and there are other timelags such as leaking to the net ahead of theatrical releases or even festival-premieres.

I mean we're discussing the movie after a major release, how long do we have to white text.

But whatever majority rules.
White text is just considerate regardless of how long it's been out. I mean, people will see these things when they can and with a movie like this the less you know the more enjoyable it is. Even if the trailer does give away some things. I'm not going to apologize for discussing the movie in spoiler boxes, if you read them then that sucks.

Post by 360 »

To be clear, I didn't read the spoilers.

I was simply stating my position on posting spoilers so soon.

The night after release? it's called a spoiler for a reason and is obviously a cornerstone of your personalities. Which are the personalities of 20% lean faggots.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Really liked this movie. Been telling everyone about it.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

None wrote:White text is just considerate regardless of how long it's been out. I mean, people will see these things when they can and with a movie like this the less you know the more enjoyable it is. Even if the trailer does give away some things. I'm not going to apologize for discussing the movie in spoiler boxes, if you read them then that sucks.
Sounds good bro.

p.s. your sig is inconsiderate.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Phantom of Pulp wasn't too thrilled and is usually on the money when it comes to horror flick reviews.

http://phantomofpulp.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... 02ecddcf5f
If The Cabin in the Woods is the next "Big Thing" in horror, then horror is done, at least horror as we once knew it. That is: Horror that horrifies. Because this collects all the cliches and tired horror tropes of several decades of horror movies and blends them into a self-aware stew, it's ultra-predictable from a suspense point of view, and not one bit scary.

I saw it once a few months ago and again this weekend with company. My initial reaction hasn't changed; it's been cemented.

Not content to steal from the best and worst of horror films, it also steals big time from dear old H.P. Lovecraft and the oeuvre of Clive Barker. It does this in a smarmy, distancing way that constantly diffuses its primary narrative.

The Rubik's cube-style poster art is fairly appropriate, except Rubik built a cube that made complete sense. This doesn't. This left me with too many unanswered questions and logic issues the filmmakers glossed over. I got bored quickly because it mined so much familiar material such as Evil Dead (of course), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (both versions, although the score has actual music phrases from Marcus Nispel's remake), Bay of Blood/Friday the 13th, Dellamorte Dellamore, Halloween, The Twilight Zone, The Truman Show, Nightbreed, the list goes on); theft of this magnitude is not new, but when there's so much thieving going on, it's hard for horror film makers to meet basic horror film requirements such as scaring an audience. Ironically, it's the pre-awareness of all elements that kills the thrills because horror, at its core, is about the unknown, and nothing is unknown here at all.

The film's hook is a technical one that reveals something broader. The revelation is served to us after the whole shebang has gone to hell. Ultimately, The Cabin in the Woods becomes an unholy mess that throws all logic out the window. The concept, on paper, must have radiated potential, but the film is a case of too many scattershot ideas canceling each other out.
I'll probably check this movie out in a few days regardless.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

What do people expect from horror tho? Do you really expect to be scared anymore?

I look forward to seeing this.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ayo, this was illllllllllllllllll
dug it a lot
alpha wrote:if you like Whedon, you'll love this.
pretty much
moved by duck muscles

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

that phantom of the pulp dude completely missed the point of the movie.

flyover.

None

Post by None »

Ramen wrote:that phantom of the pulp dude completely missed the point of the movie.

flyover.
For fucking real.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

for real for real

KEVIN!
would kevin have been a party monster?
moved by duck muscles

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

None wrote:
Ramen wrote:that phantom of the pulp dude completely missed the point of the movie.

flyover.
For fucking real.
X3
I just came back from it and it was completely awesome. One of the better mainstream horror movies you'll see in recent years. If it does even qualify as horror...

alpha

Post by alpha »

Was the crowd laughing a lot when you guys saw it?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

absolutely. i went to the 10 o clock on a monday night show though, so there was only like thirty people there and anyone who was there obviously knew what they were in for & no old peoples or babies were in attendance. the two biggest 'full theater' laughs were already brought up in here
thor riding his dirtbike into the invisible fence, everything w/ the collapsible bong. was proud of my fellow theater goers when they laughed as hard as i did in the beginning when thor saw his g/fs books and said 'who taught you this!' and she ran away screaming 'it was you! i learned it from you! that was one of those moments i found hilarious but figured anyone who isn't conditioned to whedon would find corny. there were plenty of those throughout, but they all seemed to play'
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

thinking about which moments to bring up really has me wanting to watch this again
moved by duck muscles

alpha

Post by alpha »

it got a lot of laughs during the show I caught. described this as a " a very smart not scary horror movie that makes fun of horror movies in a smart way" movie. thought that was a good way to describe it sans spoilers.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

alpha wrote:Was the crowd laughing a lot when you guys saw it?
Definitely.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

about 30 minutes in, I thought the two suits were trying to make an entertaining horror movie for some third party, perhaps a future generation where live action is the only kind of movie that doesn't bore them. And they threaten to destroy us if we don't comply. Or something. Actually now that I'm typing I basically got it right after all :lol:

Cool movie. Never seen anything like it.
the boy is the father to the man

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

perfectprism wrote:
about 30 minutes in, I thought the two suits were trying to make an entertaining horror movie for some third party, perhaps a future generation where live action is the only kind of movie that doesn't bore them. And they threaten to destroy us if we don't comply. Or something. Actually now that I'm typing I basically got it right after all :lol:

Cool movie. Never seen anything like it.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Saw this in a mostly empty theater, so it was weird being one of like three strategically placed laughers in the crowd.
Movie was interesting, but in typical fashion for me, I wanted more of the overlying story than this specific experiment.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

:arrow:
moved by duck muscles

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Saw this flick last night. Enjoyed it, but I didn't think it should receive all the praise it has been getting. Now I must say, I don't generally enjoy horror movies so I don't have a whole lot of experience in that department. I "get" that this movie is about cliche's in the genre as well as the characters, but it was too much for me. Besides, me and my girl knew what was going to happen all the time.

There were many fun/ridiculous/crazy moments as well, most of them have been described by earlier posters in this topic already. Enjoyed the final part, where they are in the lobby, a lot.

BlingRhames

Post by BlingRhames »

If you didn't like this movie, you're probably a faggot. Or at least the son of one.
Sebastian gets busy wrote:look there is still a chANCE THIS WAS A GIRL