What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I was actually planning to cop The Snowtown Murders earlier today. Got some Jack Ketchum adapted movies instead.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

When Curtis (Michael Shannon) begins having nightmares of an encroaching, apocalyptic storm, he refrains from telling his wife, Samantha (Jessica Chastain). To protect her and their six-year-old deaf daughter Hannah, Curtis starts focusing his anxiety and money into the obsessive building of a storm shelter. While Hannah's healthcare and special needs education has resulted in financial struggle, Curtis' seemingly inexplicable behavior concerns Samantha and provokes intolerance among co-workers, friends and neighbors. However, the resulting strain on his marriage and tension within the community doesn't compare to Curtis' private fear of what his disturbing dreams may truly signify.
Second time I watched this. Starz has it On Demand right.

Amazing film. Michael Shannon = :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Spartan wrote:I was actually planning to cop The Snowtown Murders earlier today. Got some Jack Ketchum adapted movies instead.
I actually felt like I needed to shower after I watched it.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Employee wrote:
Spartan wrote:I was actually planning to cop The Snowtown Murders earlier today. Got some Jack Ketchum adapted movies instead.
I actually felt like I needed to shower after I watched it.
Well I'm sold. I'll pick it up tomorrow on my lunch break.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Employee wrote:Image
When Curtis (Michael Shannon) begins having nightmares of an encroaching, apocalyptic storm, he refrains from telling his wife, Samantha (Jessica Chastain). To protect her and their six-year-old deaf daughter Hannah, Curtis starts focusing his anxiety and money into the obsessive building of a storm shelter. While Hannah's healthcare and special needs education has resulted in financial struggle, Curtis' seemingly inexplicable behavior concerns Samantha and provokes intolerance among co-workers, friends and neighbors. However, the resulting strain on his marriage and tension within the community doesn't compare to Curtis' private fear of what his disturbing dreams may truly signify.
Second time I watched this. Starz has it On Demand right.

Amazing film. Michael Shannon = :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:
Yup. One of the best movie of the past 5 years.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ No.

Tokyo Decadence (1992) - Ryu Murakami, best known for writing the book Miike's Audition is based on, directed this film about an S&M-prostitute. It's a movie about loneliness. Kinda boring in spots but it does what it's supposed to. There's some fairly shocking shit going on in this movie so watch at your own peril. Not recommendable for anyone really but I liked it well enough. A cult-hit in Japan which inspired multiple sequels.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

wasn't wowed by take shelter either. dug the ending a lot, which seems to be where a lot of peoples have beef with it, but all in all just didn't do much for me. shotgun stories shits all over it and that was also within the past five years

watched all the real girls. loved all the real girls.
moved by duck muscles

Comedy Quaddafi

Big Boobs Buster (1990) - A flat-chested girl gets rejected by a mr. popular who indifferently tells her "I'm sure you can sow and clean as well as other girls, but I hate flat chests" - they're very romantic, the Japanese men. Anyway the girl becomes a superhero or avenger if you like, who is determined to ruin the lives of busty schoolgirls. Sounds like the best movie ever but it isn't. It's too ponderous and there's not enough boobs, which is unforgiveable frankly. This movie screams for a remake because the concept is ace.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I wanted this to be good and I rode it out to the very end with somewhat of a nostalgic Kitano beer googles. The multiple storylines just add way too many characters, played by terrible actors. Even the god himself mailed it in. To say it was completely shitty wouldn't be fair, there are some very nice shots made and some perticually awesome violence.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Ramen wrote:Image

thought it was pretty enjoyable. didn't change the game or anything like that but it's a pretty fresh take on snow white. the effects were pretty great and the music complimented the movie well.

tried to find the thread for this but it must have been deleted.
thread still exists but the trailer was better than the movie. still found it enjoyable. dark forest was illy, kstew was lovely, theron was awful, but twas still better than a snow white movie should be, certainly better than that other one that came out this summer. the dwarves (ian mcshane, nick frost, etc.) really bugged me
moved by duck muscles

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Innkeepers (2011)

By no means on the same level as Ti West's previous modern classic The House of the Devil, still excellent though.

hustler

Post by hustler »

Spartan wrote:The Innkeepers (2011)

By no means on the same level as Ti West's previous modern classic The House of the Devil, still excellent though.
i really was just bored by this. it did nothing for me. not enough death or gore or creepy shit. and ghosts are actualy something im genuinely afraid of so i love ghost movies and they usually freak me right out.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

kato

Post by kato »

hustler wrote:

i really was just bored by this. it did nothing for me. not enough death or gore or creepy shit. and ghosts are actualy something im genuinely afraid of so i love ghost movies and they usually freak me right out.
I thought The Innkeepers were great. Had a great atmosphere throughout the movie and enjoyed the pace.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

kato wrote:
hustler wrote:

I thought The Innkeepers were great. Had a great atmosphere throughout the movie and enjoyed the pace.
Funny thing about the pacing is it's the same tempo with a fast pay-off towards the finale like The House of the Devil. Ti West got the atmosphere right too.

The Sleeper (2012)

Modern movie set in 1981's golden age slasher peak. The Sleeper is a campus slasher where a weird eyed crank caller dispatches the sorority girls of theta house in a number of creative ways, amongst them a fist through a girl's skull - the best kill of the lot. For a micro budget film shot in a few days it's largely hit and miss in terms of recreating that '81 authenticity. All the acting performances were notably atrocious which I guess could be overlooked for the sake of keeping it real, the biggest problem however was the writing. The plot was particularly poor with little development for final girl's admittedly limited screen time nor on The Sleeper's motives. I found the film pretty cringeworthy too, particularly the unnecessary disco dance number a la Prom Night and lack of proper vintage music (rip-off Daft Punk electronica doesn't cut it). It's obvious writer/director Justin Russell knows his slasher films and despite a high body count, some quite gory, and a John Saxon lookalike cop from Black Christmas, this bored me like Final Exam rather than the superior slashers it's inspiration is based on. It's better than that other hipster slasher Gutterballs though. Worth checking out for curiosity's sake but pretty dull overall.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/q97uR ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/q97uR ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

watched snow angels & rare export: a christmas tale. snow angels was my least favorite of those early 3 DGGs, still real good, still really gorgeous, just a real big bummer. wouldn't say that's why it was my least favorite, the stories never really connected all around, but jesus that was a real big bummer. rare export was aight. very short, still took a long time to get going, nothing to write a list about. very late on both of these, never mind playing catch up

Comedy Quaddafi

Marebito (2004) - J-horror heavyweight Shimizu (Ju-On) directs Tsukamoto (Tetsuo) who has the lead as a cameraman obsessed with the thought of scaring himself to death. Apparently it was filmed in less than two weeks and it shows because this movie is a bit of a mess with a bunch of metaphorical weirdness that I don't care to decipher. Far from the worst movie of it's kind but it could have been a lot better, especially given the talent involved. Subway-vampires and prozac... LOLwut.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Seven Women For Satan (1976)

Retarded eurosleaze from the 70's. Very entertaining and I got the feeling the comedy elements like the rack scene were intentional. Reminded me a lot of Bloody Pit of Horror with boobies and that's no bad thing at all. The overall vibe was a good mix of some of Jess Franco's and Pete Walker's films. One of the better discoveries on the Mondo Macabro label, imo.

This scene cracked me up:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Lp6vn ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/Lp6vn ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Harry Potter and the Woman in Black (2012)

So this was excellent and exactly what I wanted to see from a born again Hammer film. Radcliffe was dope in this and even though he was a muggle rockin' Elvis sideburns, he carried this movie really well. The movie nailed with the gothic vibe and the creepy wind-up toys were a touch of class. Other than a couple of unnecessary false jump scares and a somewhat predictable ending yet totally understandable, I was really entertained by this film and it definitely left me with a very brief moment of unease turning the lights back on when this movie was over, a fucking rarity with all the horror movies I watch. Awesome film, roll on the sequel.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I used to be so good at keeping up with posting here, but I just havenג€™t been watching movies as much I used to. It was typically a daily thing thing for me, but so far in the month of July Iג€™ve only watched two. So, hereג€™s a recap of movies I mostly watched in June except for the last two.

Forbidden Games (1952) - Sad foreign film about 2 children in occupied France during WWII that create their own cemetery for dead animals they find. Great film with such a heartbreaking ending.

Red River (1947) - I know John Wayne was in this, but I honestly donג€™t remember much about it.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) - This was the only Wes Anderson film I hadnג€™t seen, so I wanted to make sure I caught it before catching Moonrise Kingdom.
I like this one a lot and thought it was much better than The Darjeeling Limited.

Godzilla (1954) - Finally broke out my Criterion Blu-ray and watched this. This was really great and looked incredible. Effects werenג€™t hokey at all.

Once Upon a Time in China (Trilogy) (1991-92) - Iג€™ve owned these on DVD for several years and never watched them.
Canג€™t really remember plot points of the 3, but I do know the second one was my favorite.

Pretty Poison (1968) - There seems to be a theme here with my reviews of what Iג€™ve watched. Iג€™m not remembering shit about them.
Anthony Perkins stars in this and thatג€™s about all that I remember. I know I liked it.

The Wrestler (2008) - Great depiction of a career wrestler wrestling past his prime. I remember watching this the day before I was planning on going to MovieStop to trade in
some DVD/Blu-rays. After it ended, I liked it so much that I decided I wanted to keep it.

Moon (2009) - Watched this not knowing anything about it. All I knew was that David Bowieג€™s kid directed it.
I was really bored during the first 20 minutes. It seemed like it was just a 2001 remake, but then it got strong and never looked back. Ended up loving it.

Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - Not the funniest Wes Anderson film, but still decent. The kid actors were actually pretty great. The biggest laughs for me werenג€™t from the film, but from audience reactions around me. The first was a lady who brought 2 boys probably each 12-years-old. During the scene where the 2 kid leads start kissing and the girl feels the boyג€™s dick against her and says ג€œitג€™s hardג€ and that she likes it, this mother got up, pointed to the 2 boys and promptly exited the theater. My other laugh came with these 3 old ladies sitting directly behind me. One of them hated this film and at one point said to her friend, ג€œIג€™ve seen better acting in high school plays.ג€ During the ending credits her friend said out loud, ג€œI thought this was going to be the Woody Allen movie.ג€ Old people are funny.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - I went in the morning minutes after reading about the horrible tragedy in Colorado. Admittedly, it was hard to enjoy this after knowing what went down 12 hours earlier. I just kept imagining the chaos that mustג€™ve went down that night.
I did find it ironic that during the fight scene with Batman and Catwoman against Baneג€™s thugs, Batman knocks a gun from Catwomanג€™s hands and says something to the effect of ג€œno guns,ג€ but then at the end when
Catwoman shoots and kills Bane, she says to Batman, ג€œI have a problem with your ג€˜no gunsג€™ rule.ג€
Not being a comic book reader, I was unfamiliar with Bane. He turned out to be a very good villain.
It was long, but honestly didnג€™t feel like it. It was enjoyable, but I probably wouldג€™ve liked it much more if events in Colorado hadnג€™t taken place.

Comedy Quaddafi

Hemel (2012) - Dutch film about a female sex-addict. I thought Shame was a bit banal but it was still very effective, whereas this isn't. Sascha Polak who directed this lets her idiosyncracies come to life through her characters and it's more or less embarassing in parts. The movie is well-filmed and the acting is solid, but it's still just a pretty lump of pop-psychology.

Fudoh (1996) - This film put Miike on the map, as far as I know. It's rather crazy and extreme, as we have come to expect. Immensely entertaining but lacks a little of the depth I've seen in some of his other movies. But if you want to see a fun yakuza-freakshow then this is highly recommended.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Girl in Room 2A (1973)

Tip of the Day: When the creepy looking boardinghouse owner asks you "would you like a sedative in your tea?", you get the hell out of there!

This mildy entertaining Inquisition style, vigilante themed giallo had a lot going for it in the beginning. Started off with a bang with some nice brutality and slowly plodded off into a soporific detective mystery. The final act makes another change and goes for sudden comedy action and lots of vase smashing with a hilarious flaming torch scene too. Found this film to be a mess in a lot of places but the film's lead, Daniela Giordano was decent eye candy when she wasn't exposing those hairy armpits and Raf Vallone (the mafia boss from the original The Italian Job), who looks exactly like my uncle Andy, was pretty great as the cult leader. The insanely hot Rosalba Neri also had a small but memorable part in this film, she didn't get butt nekkid in this one however. All in all, this film suffered from an identity crisis and really didn't live up to the granddaddy of Hostel moniker it's been plastered with. Very messy film overall.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Somos Lo Que Hay (aka We Are What We Are) (2010)
A patriarch's sudden death causes his impoverished cannibalistic family to take over the responsibilities in bringing food to the table. The film is very much a tragedy of sorts than a full on horror, for one, you're made witness to how pathetic a living existence can be, the other, the lack of any real life optimism to break the chains. I enjoyed this film a lot and it carried some pretty heavy social commentary for the most part, from the depths of poverty to corruption. The film was well acted and the grim Mexican locations were a real asset throughout. Well worth checking out.

Comedy Quaddafi

^ Yep. Dope Movie. I enjoyed how some of the somewhat comical parts of the movie were played with a completely straight face, like when the mom flips out over the hooker-issue and when they're trying to grab some kids. One of the better kitchensink horror-dramas, which really is an odd but compelling subgenre of sorts.

I still remember my triple-feauture festivalviewing of Secuestrados, this and A Serbian Film in one go. Complete assault on my brain.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Not familiar with Sequestrados.

What did you make of the significance of "the ritual", CQ? I saw it as a weird religious means in breaking their pathetic cycle.

Comedy Quaddafi

Kidnapped is the Spanish home-invasion horror that came out last year.

I remember thinking that the ritual was part of the heritage of the clan and it made me think of communion. Need to see it again.
- MB

gallax

Post by gallax »

I've just seen this....it was amazing
Next up on my list:
Two-lane blacktop
Gone in 60 seconds (the 70s version)
Already seen Bullit a couple of months ago.

Anyone got some more tips on great classic fast car movies like these? Would appreciate it if someone started a thread.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
The Driver

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Castle of the Living Dead (1964)

A travelling troupe of entertainers are invited to Count Drago's castle and learn about his obsession with embalming. Very basic premise, still entertaining nonetheless. Donald Sutherland, in one of his earliest appearances in a feature film, was dope playing duo roles, one as a dumb army sergeant and the other, a withered old hag. Christopher Lee killed it as usual, despite the over the top eye make-up.

Comedy Quaddafi

Gallax, you should definitely check The Driver.

Death Race 2000 with Sylvester Stallone is a lot of fun but perhaps not what you're looking for exactly.
- MB

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Was going to reply but sounds like a good thread, lets do it.