Game Of Thrones S3

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

The Afronaut

Re: Game Of Thrones S3

Post by The Afronaut »

PopeyeJones wrote:Edit: Danerys too. In the scene in the last ep, at least in the way it was acted, it was as much about her wanting it to be known that she'll be feared and respected and take whatever she wants as it was about freeing more slaves. (in my read of it, at least).
:leon: That was why the shit annoyed me so much. Childish.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah but more freed slaves = bigger army right?
She's probably counting on the slaves on the inside of the city revolting and joining her and making taking the city easy as fuck.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Agreed about increasing the size of her army. I think Khaleesi has the best grasp on the bigger picture and more of a long-term approach to being the ruler of the seven kingdoms. If she is going to defeat everyone she will need a huge and powerful army but she will also need to garner respect along the way to minimize the people against her, thus making the fight for the throne easier as well. Most of the other people involved that are seeking the throne simply want to take it and don't think past that. While Drizzle eloquently articulated that honor and a code don't always result in succeeding in the "game of thrones" (Ned), if someone wants to seize power of the throne and hope that it lasts for more than a brief, war-filled period, they'd need to do the things that Khaleesi is doing. Not to mention, the fact that Joff Dog and Tywin already know things about Khaleesi and the dragons shows that word of mouth is a powerful tool too- if people hear that she is freeing slaves throughout the realm and also increasing the size of her army, she will gain respect and also make those in power fear slave revolts as Khaleesi continues her long haul toward each part of the realm.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

anyone got a gif of the ep (season 1/ep 1?) where khaleesi was in the bathtub getting a rubdown by her brother?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

How do we know that all the slaves are potential soldiers?

Guun

Post by Guun »

The Afronaut wrote:How do we know that all the slaves are potential soldiers?
Yeah, that's a stretch. The Unsullied were different in that they were slaves that were developed and trained to be soldiers from day 1. We saw how feeble the slaves that were with the dude from Yunkai looked when they attempted to get the gold back. I think it's clear Dany's great emancipator ish is more about freeing the oppressed than it is about growing her army.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Seriously though, you know you'd love it just as much as I would if circumstances drove Tyrion to push a kid out of a window. And :arrow: at him not being fucked up enough to do that should the circumstances demand it.
this is not about fav characters, it's about that fact that if you want to portray someone as a villian you have him push a kid out a window, and when you want to make him sympathetic you have him risk his own life to save a giant dike. standard hollywood storytelling and conventional morality is espoused throughout.

khaleesi i think she's acting out of compassion for slaves. of course by taking the title 'breaker of chains' she's playing up her role. some people are naturally dramatic. but from season one where she saves the witch from round 4 of raping, to her emotional exchange with grey worm, she's shown genuine concern for the oppressed, often to her personal detriment.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^Was responding to you saying Tyrion and Danerys were the two fan faves and that they're both compassionate and moral characters that wouldn't push a kid out a window.

I don't think either of them are one-dimensionally "moral" like Ned Stark. I also think Tyrion would definitely push a kid out a window, and would still be a fan fave even if he did that shit. Batman >>>>> Superman, basically.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

it would appear that jon snow does indeed know something

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Guun wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:How do we know that all the slaves are potential soldiers?
Yeah, that's a stretch. The Unsullied were different in that they were slaves that were developed and trained to be soldiers from day 1. We saw how feeble the slaves that were with the dude from Yunkai looked when they attempted to get the gold back. I think it's clear Dany's great emancipator ish is more about freeing the oppressed than it is about growing her army.
In the logic of the show, I think the three options for why she's fucking around with this are:

a) Slaves build the army.

b) She's John Brown with tits.

c) She does whatever the fuck she wants and people need to know.

I think all three of those things are at work in some form or fashion. All three of them alone are pretty one-dimensional. Bitches be complicated.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

canada finally justifies its existence

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Less :smugkid:, drizz. We all know you've read the books and know much more than us. It has been established, brah.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i can't help it, watching you guys stumble around this thing is almost as good as the show itself

sorry but also

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

took me a second

also irl Khaleesi has fucked up eyebrows and bangs Seth McFarlane. Bitch needs to free a pair of tweezers instead of slaves

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^She's actually fucking James Franco now so, you know, UPGRADE!

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

The discordance between celebrity guys (who could ostensibly fuck anybody they want) choosing to fuck these girls that us general schlubs sit around and nitpick into oblivion is >>>>>>>>>>

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

PopeyeJones wrote:The discordance between celebrity guys (who could ostensibly fuck anybody they want) choosing to fuck these girls that us general schlubs sit around and nitpick into oblivion is >>>>>>>>>>
Nah, but she's got matronly hips and possible warts on her feet.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

secretly wondering if osha is somehow really a drag queen

even tho they showed her nekkid, the above version looks like somebody from Block's neighborhood

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

drizzle wrote:took me a second
Me too :ohsh: x :ohhh:

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

driz is like a witch from macbeth in this thread.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Genuinely guessed it was a male cast member who identifies as YOTMB when off duty after your "took me a second". Thought she wouldve cleaned up better, shes not far off her Theon was smashing on the way to the islands in that pic.

skrong jaw

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:driz is like a witch from macbeth in this thread.
:rofl:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Spartan wrote:
The Rapping Coffin wrote:driz is like a witch from macbeth in this thread.
:rofl:

alpha

Post by alpha »

wait, the redhead is osha?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah if you google her she looks like a crusty raver that probably smells vaguely funky if you get too close

she's surprsingly young too, only 28. i thought she was mid-30s

alpha

Post by alpha »

wow, that's crazy. she was also tonks in the harry potter movies. :megaman:

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

drizzle wrote:dany is not a popular character because she's trying to free the slaves, that only happened a week ago. up until that point she was gathering an army to invade a country she's never been in, based on the fact that her dad was once king there (despite the fact that her dad was most known for burning people alive for fun). there was absolutely nothing compassionate about her motives. she's popular because she's an underdog, and she has dragons and she's hot.

similarly, tyrion is popular because he's a clever motherfucker who does g shit despite obvious limitations. and a lot of his motivations are selfish. the talk he has with tywin in the beginning of the season is a good example - he wants to be respected, he wants to be recognized as somebody capable who is more than a misshaped freak that's considered a family embarrassment.

nobody is sitting around thinking 'i like these characters because they're good decent people'. they are popular because they are fun to watch and root for. because they're complex constructs of contradicting motivations and emotions. because the actors do a good job playing them. and that's the same reason people like jaime. the fact that he throws kids out of the window only makes him that much more entertaining. you can love him or you can love to hate him, but either way his character stirs something in the viewer, it draws a response. by contrast, the only response somebody like robb draws is boredom and indifference.
Word. The closest one to being a good decent character was Ned, and out of the ones that are alive right now, I'd say Jon Snow even tho he's a bore.

alpha

Post by alpha »

where the hell are we drawing the line on what a decent character is?

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

yeah i think there's massive confusion about decent being a character's trait vs how fun/enjoyable they are to watch. this show has solid characters that range from those garnering hatred (joffrey, stannis) to those garnering support (Khaleesi, Tywin, Tyrion) to those that are well-developed but are boring or unlikeable (Theon, Jon Snow, Robb).

My guess is (sorry in advance, Drizzle) that most of these characters who are boring, or at least for now are boring, will wind up serving a larger and hopefully more interesting purpose in the future seasons/episodes. I'm interested to see if the writer and creators of the show are purposefully trying to make the Starks more boring this season to draw attention to how the more "noble" participants are less likely to win and/or be interesting in the "game of thrones" or if the characters are simply suffering from having to be included only as a reminder and placeholder based on their importance increasing later on.

nerd ramble over. :megaman: