The Man Of Steel (Directed by Zack Snyder)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ThaJim2

Re: The Man Of Steel (Directed by Zack Snyder)

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Thor and Avengers where just boring for me Iron Man 3 was bad on the other hand.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i don't get the hate for iron man 3 on this board

it turned out exactly what it looked like on paper - a shane black jawnt where a wisecracking troubled superhero replaces a wisecracking troubled cop. just like all his 80s movies, it had likable leads shooting and one-lining their way through a serious of barely logical plot motions meant to move from one action scene to the next. favreau was the modern equivalent of pesci in the LW sequels. and it was all entertaining as fuck.

and mufuckers tried to dissect this for plot subtleties and science accuracy like it was Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy directed by Shane Carruth? caveat emptor or gtfoh
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

if you were bored with Avengers, you may fall asleep in Man of Steel

similar to Iron Man 3, I fear Man of Steel doesn't know how to escalate tension towards climax.
momentum of this movie is kinda uneven... one third of it is a grand finale

this movie will be like Iron Man 3 even more than RDJ's latest savior mission

Zack Snyder is a hate it or love it movie director who is one part Michael Bay, two parts Jon Favreau or somethin with some John Woo flair sprinkled on top

flaws with the movie have to do with his choices

don't like the movie is basically a Quentin Tarantino movie with how much it tells stories in flashback

but for the people this movie DOES strike a chord with: THEY WILL LOVE IT UNTIL THEIR DYING DAY
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

drizzle wrote:i don't get the hate for iron man 3 on this board
Most of my hate stems from it doing so well at the box office, and Pain and Gain not becoming the billion dollar making national treasure it should have been.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Iron Man 3 wasn't so much bad as seemingly unnecessary.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Reggie wrote:Iron Man 3 wasn't so much bad as seemingly unnecessary.
:killacam: :larry:

But it was necessary to not leave the franchise on such an incomplete note, as they would have with Iron Man 2.

And in Man of Steel, Snyder definitely decided to take a page out of the J.J. Abrams school of "douse the screen in lens flares for added emotional effect"

DC Comic Book Movies are still figuring themselves out, let's just say that. Their universe is nowhere near ready to converge like Marvel made Sam Jack/Nick Fury usher into our brains to allow the Avengers to assemble into impossible awesomeness to the fifth power

Go see Man of Steel today tho. Really interested to know what Bruce "Reggie" Wayne thinks about his Justice League teammate's franchise reboot :cheers:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

FRIDAY 7:30 PM, 3RD UPDATE: It’s already setting records for the biggest opening for June and the second biggest weekend opening of 2013 as Warner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters with 3D in 3,357 venues) is flying high at the domestic box office today. My sources have now increased their estimates to $51M Friday, $124.4M for the three-day weekend, and $134.4M for the four-day cume through Sunday. The only other movie in the North American marketplace in wide release, Sony/Columbia Pictures’ This Is The End (3,055 theaters) which opened Wednesday as a counter-programming apocalyptic comedy is looking like $8M for Friday, $20.8M for the 3-day weekend, and $33.1M for the 5-day cume. Refined numbers later.

ric

Post by ric »

saw this midnight thursday. shit was sweet

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

saw it today

was fucking awesome, can't wait for the sequel, hopefully they lighten it up a lil so all the Donner dickriders don't hate on it again

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

saw it again today. YESSSSS

i revoke my previous criticisms. there are a few tiny leaps of faith logic one has to make to enjoy this movie seamlessly. after that, this jam is the lick

the sequel could use a bit more comedy, but it's set up to now. and peace to Lexcorp trucks :copy:

only shitty thing in the whole movie is the reveal of the name :fail:

i like the rest. ESPECIALLY FIORA-EL. Oh my god does she kick THE MOST ASS in this movie :jerk:

fuck that dog :rofl:

alpha

Post by alpha »

best movie of the summer so far. I agree it could have been funnier, but the way the story was being told it had to be more serious. Wouldn't be mad if they bring in doomsday for part 2 or 3

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ILL.
ILL.
ILL.

LOVED IT.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

alpha wrote:best movie of the summer so far. I agree it could have been funnier, but the way the story was being told it had to be more serious. Wouldn't be mad if they bring in doomsday for part 2 or 3
Dont know how they are do this with the Justice League. Doomsday should either be in a Justice League movie or in a Superman movie right after the Justice League movie that way the Justice League can have their ass beat around so when Supes dies it will be because Doomsday is just that bad ass. They kind of set up Doomsday in a bit too with all the Krypton history.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Movie was aight.

Definitely the best of the Superman movies (which doesn't mean much). Definitely well done, CGI-wise. Acting was good too. But I just didn't care. Zod was bad casting. He came off more like a crumpy, old sargeant than a war zealot and especially given the background for him, it just wasn't the right guy. I also couldn't care enough about Supe's journey because of the non-linear way they did it. I hate movies that have to explain a bunch of shit with a gang of flashbacks. Stories seem to keep me move involved when they're linear.

I can't hate on the movie tho'. I can see why alot of people like it, but at the end of the day I was just like "ehh, it's aight".

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

^^^ that's how I felt when I first saw it on Tuesday, but didn't want to piss on anyone's parade before the movie even came out.

second time I saw it, I really enjoyed it a whole lot more. the flashback editing remains clunky as transitional plotting, but meh. it's a quibble I end up ignoring after I enjoy seeing Zod get punched through a building or three :liljon:

still, quick-cutting from a Kryptonian rocketship with a baby in it, to a sea barge with a meek greenhorn fumbling around isn't stoytelling of the Spiderman/Raimi caliber, Snyder. But maybe next time you'll just unfold the sequel more chronologically, and take us up, up, and away...

and enough can not be said about Fiora-El, Zod's commander. SHE KILLS ALL :bow:

I love how she dummies U.S. Army soldiers like toys to smash and she had Meloni STRAIGHT SCURRED FOR HIS LIFE :rofl: :copy:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

She would've made a more interesting villain than Zod.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

I don't see what's wrong with Michael Shannon's performance in this.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Dope flick. It was cool how they made Lois Lane a stronger character and not the dumb broad who gets into trouble to have Superman save her. Had a problem with some of the editing with the time lapses at first. When they slowed it down and broke down some of the plot (even though I knew what it was about), it all came together.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Jayou Ayen wrote:I don't see what's wrong with Michael Shannon's performance in this.

He came off more like a crumpy, old sargeant than a war zealot and especially given the background for him, it just wasn't the right guy.
He's not ruining the movie. Just ruining it for me.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

I just don't understand how the other ship in the ice got there 20,000 years ago, separate from the ship with baby Supes

can someone explain that? thanks

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I just don't understand how the other ship in the ice got there 20,000 years ago, separate from the ship with baby Supes

It was a scout ship. Zod mentions it when Supe turned himself in. He mentions the beacon.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

loved it.
loved seeing the lexcorp stuff in the background.
man of steel is better than all marvel movies except for the xmen prequel.
i will enjoy the dc universe more if this is the tone of all their movies from henceforth.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Cash Rulz wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:I just don't understand how the other ship in the ice got there 20,000 years ago, separate from the ship with baby Supes

It was a scout ship. Zod mentions it when Supe turned himself in. He mentions the beacon.
:cheers:

Yet, I don't understand how it had a bunch of pods from the Genesis Chamber in it, when I thought nobody did anything to prolong the survival of Krypton except steal the Codex. Who had the foresight to send that ship to earth with a bunch of future Kryptonians if the planet collapsed before anyone but Jor-El and Zod had any inclination to try and save the Kryptonian people?

I remember Zod mentioning the beacon and how Superman's activation of it signalled Zod to Clark's location... but WHY is that other ship even on earth, under Antarctica, and who sent it there 20,000 years ago? Superman was only on earth 33 years...

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

When Jor-el was explaining the history of Krypton, he spoke of how their civilization spread out to new worlds, establishing new colonies on teraformed worlds. The scout ship was from that era, but it crashed and did not complete it's mission.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

I'm surprised at the overwhelming praise. I thought it was a mixed bag.

The score was strong, rousing and unsettling when it needed to be. Hans Zimmer is excellent.

Russell Crowe made Jor-El possibly the most interesting character in the film. Kevin Costner did a great job of putting forth a lot of emotion and compassion into some trite dialogue in limited screen time. Diane Lane wasn't bad either, but she wasn't given much to work with.

I liked the feeling of dread, of the unknown, when Zod makes first contact with the people of Earth. I would've liked that explored a little more, but I understand why they couldn't.

The action was well done for the most part. The amount of destruction that occurs felt like what you'd see when these beings with insane powers beyond any human's capacity fought to the death. Faora destroying those soldiers was pretty fucking awesome. She was moving so fast it was like she was teleporting, reminded me of the opening Nightcrawler scene in X2.

Speaking of which, I'm guessing Lois Lane is secretly a teleporter. She shows up everywhere exactly when the plot needs her to.

There are a few moments I had a problem with:
When the soldiers have the guns trained on superman after the battle with Faora and that other large Kryptonian, they then lower their weapons in acknowledgement that they're on the same side. I thought that was a good comic booky moment and important to his journey, but then they have to club you over the head with Stabler saying something like "This man is not our enemy."

Jonathan's death was silly. Clark couldn't have gone "Holy shit, turn around everyone!" and then rescued his dad in 0.4 seconds, leaving him somewhere out of the path of the tornado before running back (I believe he couldn't fly yet at this point, but he had to have known about/tested his super speed, right?)?

Cutting to scenes with Fishburne worrying about the intern with Metropolis falling apart? Who cares about her? She wasn't established at all. It felt like a cheap way to show some of the toll/potential toll on humanity during this battle between alien gods. Fishburne should be trying to catch the Chesapeake Ripper.

The fight with the tentacles of the world engine was dull. Just have him punt that thing into space and cut to him fighting Zod and his soldiers already!

The impact of Zod's death was a little hollow for me. They almost got me to feel something with Superman's primal scream of anguish. But it doesn't linger at all on how this impacts him going forward. Instead they cut to that scene where he tells the military dude "I'll help you and shit, but don't ring my doorbell," and that chick is all like "He's so hot, I'd take his space jizz." Then cut to him being the new happy Daily Planet employee.

And wasn't he on news cameras a ton by then? How can everyone not know who he is? Lane gives him that knowing smile of recognition; so it's not like he altered his appearance apart from the glasses and suit. I know it's explained in the comic, but not in the movie unless maybe I missed something.
I'd give it a 5 or 5.5/10. I think I need to give it a second watch next week since my expectations were pretty high (this was my most anticipated movie of the summer).
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

it was cool, ran a tad long.

alpha

Post by alpha »

No one had an issue with supes breaking character athe end of the movie? I didn't but surprised it hasn't been brought up.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Why would people here care? This is the Dark Knight crowd, not the John Carter group.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Jayou Ayen wrote:When Jor-el was explaining the history of Krypton, he spoke of how their civilization spread out to new worlds, establishing new colonies on teraformed worlds. The scout ship was from that era, but it crashed and did not complete it's mission.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :leon:

Thanks mang. That makes sense as to why Lara could find a planet to send Kal-El to.

Maybe next movie, they can have two villains: Lex Luthor as the minor earthly villain fucking with Clark's peace of mind, and Brainiac as the galactic threat messin with Supes.

Doomsday is too huge to deal with so soon in the Superman saga. Him and Darkseid need to be the trump cards they save for Justice League.

Peace to Psychosis: I thought Superman's anguish scream would destroy some shit or at least make Lois Lane deaf for a few months. Wassup with that, Snyder? LOL

Req

Post by Req »

the last third of this is fucking terrible
F.U. MOOLAH