Critics you respect, Critics you don't

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Req

Critics you respect, Critics you don't

Post by Req »

Respect:
Adam Kempenaar (Filmspotting)
Wesley Morris
Mark Kermode

Fuck off:
Andy Greenwald
Armond White
Richard Brody

add on
F.U. MOOLAH

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: Critics you respect, Critics you don't

Post by Philaflava »

sepinwall

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah, pretty much just check sepinwall for tv. joanna robinson of v-fair does good on the recap/podcast front, does justified, GOT & an assorted podcast, all of which is good listening for the earlier a.m. when one doesn't want to explode into some comedy or anything of more heft
& whoevers writingthe review on the dissolve that i'm reading, often don't read the byline, for movies
can't say i know the names of the negatives, i figure the majority of grantland & the av club would fit in there
& by the by, finally going through sepinwalls book, am about 85% of the way through, lot of intriguing shit there within
moved by duck muscles

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I would actually want to punch Armond White in the face if I ever saw him in person.
Also agree that a lot of the Grantland/AV Club staff suck at criticism, yet I read a lot of both sites, but more for their interviews and such which AV Club is especially good at.
I read Sepinwall's book last month, pretty good. Skipped over the Buffy and Shield chapters though cause I need to finish both shows first. I like Sepinwall about 80% of the time, he's a bit overrated though to be honest.

In general, most critism bores the living shit out of me. I get way more out of someone on here saying "this was awesome, JGL gets punched in the face 6 times and this girl shows her south mouth" than just about any serious film critic trying to sound intelligent and better than everyone else.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I don't respect any critics. I could care less of what people think of something. If I like something, I like it.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

i've been reading them whether or not i've seen all or any of the shows (Oz-none, BSG/24- most but not all), on the mad men chapter now, of which i've only seen the first season, was planning on plowing through but maybe i will skip it for a later day now. sepinwall does pretty much get all of the love nowadays, would say it's mostly deserved but the acclaims probably too universal for its own good at this point. pretty ashamed that's the first book i've picked up this yr
& yeah, av club is still fruitful in many other ways, just on the review tip when they lost 80% of their peoples it went way downhill, new blood sucks dick
moved by duck muscles

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote: In general, most critism bores the living shit out of me. I get way more out of someone on here saying "this was awesome, JGL gets punched in the face 6 times and this girl shows her south mouth" than just about any serious film critic trying to sound intelligent and better than everyone else.
this

I've gotten far more insight into movies and tv from casual convos with/between knowledgeable people then I have from formal reviews and recaps

the only time I actually read reviews of anything before watching it is for older obscure movies or shows that don't involve anybody/anything that I'm familiar with, just to see if they are worth a look based on public reputation alone.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

oh just to state, can't think o the last time i read a review or much outside of message board talk and watching a trailer prior to seeing something
moved by duck muscles

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

don't read grantland. that's bill simmons/espn site isn't it? no interest
i do read av club, mostly for news & the stupid comment section tho. i check in with rotten tomatoes to see what the general consensus is but rarely read an entire movie review. i hate spoilers. if i've seen a movie & i'm going in for further analysis i'll usually just head to google & go down a worm hole of various entertainment sites, message boards & yahoo answers pages

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Emily Nussbaum is the only TV critic that I consistently expect to be good. Sepinwall is fucking great as a recap guy, but not really as a critic. As a film critic Wesley Morris is good more often than not.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Fave Kermode movie review of 2013:

alpha

Post by alpha »

Wesley Morris is a tool

Req

Post by Req »

alpha wrote:Wesley Morris is a tool
Same love bro
F.U. MOOLAH

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

:phila: reviews are the only ones I trust since the poster thread.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

the only ones i read most of what they write are

movies: wesley morris (his 12 years and fast 5 reviews were really great)
the times guys (manohla dargis and a.o. scott)

tv: emily nussbaum

music: they are all mostly terrible. jody rosen is ok on country music.

agree with popeye about sepinwall. not much under the surface there.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:
movies: wesley morris (his 12 years and fast 5 reviews were really great)
was curious about the fast 5 review and google brought up an article he did about race in movies he did before that movie came out. the article ends with

"In the end, it might not be Barack Obama who drives us into the future. It may just be Vin Diesel and The Rock."

I am now a fan
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

I think Morris is the only living critic with a pulitzer. (RIP Ebert)

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I usually dig appreciate Morris, but disagreed with pretty much everything he said about True Detectives on the most recent podcast with Pappademas (who I also like).
Of course none of this matters though, because the only truly important critic has left us. RIP Ithe

PEACE

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Can't say I ever read reviews. I feel like the Phila collective have a pretty good grasp on what is worth checking out for the most part.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

people go wild for the nuss
should probably check her out one of these days :shadesswaylow:
moved by duck muscles

Req

Post by Req »

you guise like totally know that reading critiques isn't just about making your mind up whether to see a movie right? It's also (maybe even moreso for me) about getting a perspective on a movie that makes you consider elements you hadn't previously.

off the top, I can say critiques for Drive, Rosemary's Baby and Possession changed how I viewed those films.
F.U. MOOLAH

ric

Post by ric »

most critics blow period. :phila: goes hard because once you get a sense of what people like you can choose to view accordingly

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I don't use reviews to evaluate the quality of a movie i'm thinking of watching. I watch the movie first then read the reviews so that i can gain a different interpretation, look at it from a different perspective. a lot of what makes movie watching so enjoyable, is the discussions you have with others concerning the movie, and all the different things different people extracted from it.

my reviews are always filled with spoilers, but i try to keep my writing style 'buddy, buddy'. i make it explicit that mine is just one interpretation out of many.

forums are the perfect vehicle for getting those sorts of interaction going though, but i still don't see critics disappearing any time soon.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;