Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:i saw it. nothing really to talk about. it was another ok, pretty solid episode (these aren't movies) from the generic marvel factory
n!gga whut :naswtf:

did you see the part where, um... they were gonna kill everybody

and WHY :ohsh:

did you not take anything from that? it was pretty damn incredible actually.

you must not like comic books... or movies... or comic books movies :rofl:

and the action was fucking CONSISTENTLY stellar, bro. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED :bunk:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

The Afronaut wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:Another interesting Easter egg Scarlett Johanson character is a time traveler that or did some really fucked up shit as a preschooler. In the movie she says she was born in 1985 and worked for the KGB.
:lol: Jim is killin this movie!

Im guessing she did some shit as a preschooler. Her whole backstory is that she was trained from childhood to be an assassin as part of the "Widow program". I assume that she killed someone as a kid ala Cassandra Cain (Batgirl II (?)) in the Batman series.

Looking ahead they are saying "Black Widow's past is going to catch up to her" in Avengers 2.
Looking up Cassandra Cain on the internets she was older then Scarlett Johanson was when she had her first kill which had to be no later then when she was 6 but from the sound of it was even earlier then that.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
The Rapping Coffin wrote:i saw it. nothing really to talk about. it was another ok, pretty solid episode (these aren't movies) from the generic marvel factory

and the action was fucking CONSISTENTLY stellar, bro. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED :bunk:
The action was generic marvel set pieces, and looked especially bland coming after raid 2. What was incredible about the story? It was the usual marvel studios storyline full of empty MacGuffins (we need to get that THING to stop the THING by putting the THINGS in THING!). The exposition dump in the bunker was cringe worthy.

The direction was borderline terrible, and there was nothing a stake because nothing ever changes at the end of a marvel movie.

As a whole it was a competently done piece of corporate marketing. I give it a B-

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:

The action was generic marvel set pieces, and looked especially bland coming after raid 2. What was incredible about the story? It was the usual marvel studios storyline full of empty MacGuffins (we need to get that THING to stop the THING by putting the THINGS in THING!). The exposition dump in the bunker was cringe worthy.

The direction was borderline terrible, and there was nothing a stake because nothing ever changes at the end of a marvel movie.

As a whole it was a competently done piece of corporate marketing. I give it a B-

I think this is pretty fair criticism, and the score is probably worthy. I did think the film had a little more to say on technology and communication but for the most part you pretty much nailed it. I mean there were 4 scenes where the heroes escaped by cutting a hole in the bottom of something.... 4!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think anyone goes in thinking they are watching art though, I mean this is pop entertainment on a very superficial and fun level.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

i love pop entertainment. say what you want about him but at least Michael Bay actually knows how to direct a movie really well! these marvel movies purposefully have no vision in either the directing or writing. The producers want a uniformed feeling among all of the movies so they can stretch it out until 2038 or w/e.

I'm hoping Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man are more unique with Gunn and Wright directing them.

ric

Post by ric »

shit was dope. lotta hate tho. oh well. its fucking captain america.

@jim
1 these marvel shits are about two things; mythos and pathos (myth and feeling). forget about credibility and intellectualism. this is captain america and bros fight.
2 even taking into consideration the above the bros cannot and do not always team up for a variety of acceptable reasons; they are busy, there are personality differences and they dont like each other, things must move quickly, communication is not always easy. the shit that goes down in this one is not nearly of the same scale as the shit that is going down in the avengers movie(s) and that is just a fucking fact. the avengers is on some 'save the fucking galaxy/universe' shit. this is one some 'the world is a better place/stop the evil utilitarians' type shit

nobody complains about hercules and achilles not developing into the greatest greek teamup ever if only to stamp out the bs because they chill with warring countries and they are totally different dudes doing different things and shit

also the awesome thing about the spies in this shit is that really the way they have it set up anything that is said or considered 'truthy' about these dudes is just potentially one more way the spy dudes manipulate shit etc
i also really like how fury is set to go rogue right now

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Trademark wrote:I mean there were 4 scenes where the heroes escaped by cutting a hole in the bottom of something.... 4!!!!!!!!!!!!
I must be forgetting a couple.
Fury uses it to escape TWS, Maria Hill uses it to help Cap, Widow and Falcon escape Hydra.
when else is it used?

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

did anyone catch the jules winfield reference towards the end?
i shouted out loud when i saw it.
his tombstone had the "the path of the righteous man..."

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

this movie was awesome
Nets 2022

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Saw this yesterday afternoon and was thoroughly entertained but didn't blow me away. I'd give it a solid B. As for some of the gripes over the last few posts, it's a Marvel movie I think you need to adjust your expectations. These movies are always safe and never push the limits so expecting that will only lead to disappointed.

Loved seeing Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch on deck for a future Marvel movie
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

nah yo.

every kick and punch was amazingly framed in this movie. every crunch, clang and crack was crisp and impressively impactful.

as far as action movies go, they choreographed some awesome new stuff. as far as super-advanced humans in the regular world goes, this movie was fucking magnificent, not average.

the Winter Soldier was an AMAZING fighter. he kicked a guy into the propellors of a jet to crash it, for fuck sakes. his fight scene on the bridge was intense as hell, and Black Widow got fucked up wonderfully after Cap America got ROCKET LAUNCHED into that bus. :copy: remember? muhfucka?! :drizzy: :ohsh:

and when Steve took out that plane with his shield... you gotta watch that shit again. BAM, son. BAMM!!!!

plus, I think you're downplaying the awesomeness of the government surveillance murder plot. that shit felt almost possible in the real world, LOL. the Hydra engineering of social unrest was dope. same kinda thing as the Mandarin from Iron Man 3, except not fucking wasted blasphemously in a horrid abomination of a plot twist.

this movie was also a huge shift in tone and color from the previous Marvel movies, and Robert Redford smashed his role out of the park. also, Chris Evans was fucking awesome in every single god damn moment so much, he made it look effortless.

Willie, I also laughed out loud hard when I saw the tombstone. BEST INSIDE JOKE EVER EVER EVER IN A MOVIE :bow: :ironmike:

Nick Fury's drive-by scene was amazing! I did keep wondering why the bad guys wouldn't just follow the good guys when they cut holes in the ground to escape, LOL. But whatever, I'm not looking for logical reality all the time in this shit. Just entertain me!

Anthony Mackie has never been better in a movie. He genuinely inspired laughs and amazement. A Black Superhero represents kinda lovely in this shit, and we cannot ignore that whatsoever. Awww yeah :mrcee:

it's also way better than Captain America: The First Avenger, which wasn't really a bad movie upon recent review.

couldn't ask for much more from a sequel, IMO. most people feel the same. but whatevs. kanyeshrug it if you want. I LUH DIS SHITT

TRIPLE HELICARRIER SHOOT-EM-UP :rockout:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Just watched the Agents of Shield tie in of Cap last night, atleast that show is getting some traction, will have to watch Cap this weekend.
UBM CD COMING SOON

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:when Steve took out that plane with his shield... you gotta watch that shit again. BAM, son. BAMM!!!!

One of my few complaints. That was a bit much.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

when the Winter Soldier attacked them on the highway though... even though that scene felt a bit Matrix Reloaded-y, it was still :ohsh:

this is the first movie to make ACTUAL sense as far as guns, bullets, trajectory and proximity would seem to exist

the cops chasing down Nick Fury who are running along side his truck actually seem like they'll almost hit him... as logic SHOULD have it

i don't know why the people shooting at Cap Amurr when he's holding his shield don't aim for his feet more though :rofl: :kanyeshrug:

STILL LUH DIS MOVIEH

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

so mindbender do you like this movie or not? im confused..

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

LOVE IT

what's confusing about what i've said? most of it is overwhelming fanboy fawning :rofl:

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

/sarcasm

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

/ :rofl:

alpha

Post by alpha »

This was pretty good. Think it's up in my top 3 for Marvel movies(just the avengers ones).

Thun

Post by Thun »

I saw this. It was incredibly stupid.

alpha

Post by alpha »

do you hate all comic book movies?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Thunshine hates everything, including his own charcoal-black, psychologically-scarred facsimile for a soul.

Don't mind him or his "opinion". Most of the world rightfully declared this movie a resounding success on numerous levels.

it was #1 for 3 weeks in a row for a good reason. Thun has to hate comic book movies. They involve justice, truth and sacrifice.

Roger Suarez is the Robert Redford of :phila: pure Hydra double-agent :bunk: :lol:

alpha

Post by alpha »

he is Hydra :rofl:

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: it was #1 for 3 weeks in a row for a good reason.
By this logic, you must have really enjoyed the twilight movies, huh
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

in regards to black widow:

"A revised, retconned origin establishes her as being raised from very early childhood by the U.S.S.R.'s "Black Widow Ops" program, rather than solely by Ivan Petrovitch.[7] Petrovitch had taken her to Department X, with other young female orphans, where she was brainwashed, and trained in combat and espionage at the covert "Red Room" facility. There, she is biotechnologically and psycho-technologically enhanced—an accounting that provides a rationale for her unusually long and youthful lifespan. "

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

seagrams hotsauce wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote: it was #1 for 3 weeks in a row for a good reason.
By this logic, you must have really enjoyed the twilight movies, huh
never saw them.

but I did see 'Avatar'.

not much of a story, and those N'avi were obviously aboriginal blue African cat people savages... but I liked the special effects

so, yeah.

can't wait to see what more happens to the Falcon in Captain America 3 :leon: Anthony Mackie finally made up for his semi-horrible Tupac acting in 'Notorious' :rofl:

Req

Post by Req »

Outside of Avengers and Ironman I can't imagine watching any of these ever again.

This one was no different. A decent 2 hours and $12. But ultimately disposable.

Not that they're supposed to be anything else, but alas...
F.U. MOOLAH

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

you're obviously not into comics, and you really just don't get it.

that's okay. you can still come to the rap shows we do, weirdo.

but don't you dare try and diminish the depth of artistry, imagination and humanity of this genre of film.

your parting comment is what i will throw in the "pretentious twaddle" wastebin of :bunk: .

it's not exactly Twilight, son. these movies make mega-multi-millions of dollars for a reason: LOTS of people enjoy them.

plus, very serious actors have taken many important roles in these comic book movies too, bruh. Kenneth Branagh isn't some schmuck.

plus, Robert Redford didn't just phone in a cheap performance for a fat paycheck in Captain America 2, either.

i'm not into most Asian food. that doesn't mean i disrespect other people who are. you're fuckin up by tryin to shit on comic book movies, kid. :fail:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Considerably better than the first. Better than both Thors (which was easy considering how badly the second one sucked). Better than Iron Man 2 & 3. Not better than the Avengers.

It was a great mix of non-superhuman action and super hero stuff. I like the mix of sexual tension between him and Widow. Winter Soldier was great but under utilized. Falcon was unnecessary. The Shield aspect of the movie was done very nicely tho'. And I think that's what made it a really good movie. It was almost Skyfall but if Bond was juiced all the time. It also developed Cap very well. I started to feel for his character alot more and next to Stark made him the logical next favorite Avenger. I will say it was definitely worth paying for.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

MB, are you saying that because millions of people enjoy these types of movies that they must have "artistry and imagination"???