CM Punk & Wrestling's Best Storyline in Years...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

battlecatmeowstab212

Re: CM Punk & Wrestling's Best Storyline in Years...

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Req wrote:Can a no-compete clause be enforced in a different country though?
Weirdly, yes. The contract applies to any promotion with television. He'd be under the same scrutiny had he done this in New Japan, or the smaller promotions that have television like Ring of Honor or Championship Wrestling from Hollywood.

That's why promotions that are strictly DVD like Chikara and PWG would have been perfectly allowed for him to show up, and why Matt Bourne, Curt Hawkins and Daniel Bryan were able to pop up there almost immediately.

However, apparently there is some weird litigation where del Rio has some contractual overhead that if he was fired with reason he wouldn't be able to compete in North America for an entire year, which is absurd if true.

Clarence Mason's going to be busy with this one.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

zappy

Post by zappy »

non compete is some crazy ass bullshit, especially in this case.

i understand it in some cases where you might just take trade secrets to another company or something, but it's not like alberto del rio is gonna sneak off to AAA and expose the hidden art of the cross arm breaker

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

zappy wrote:non compete is some crazy ass bullshit, especially in this case.

i understand it in some cases where you might just take trade secrets to another company or something, but it's not like alberto del rio is gonna sneak off to AAA and expose the hidden art of the cross arm breaker
There not bullshit because they prevent a person from getting fired on purpose to get out of a contract. In this specific circumstance the WWE needs to come to a quick agreement though basically don't talk shit about the WWE and we will let you out of the non compete. To allow him to continue to talk about the racism in the WWE after the recent Atlantic article on the subject is a horrible look when the dude was fired after a race tinged encounter.
Weird. Also like how they've enshrined Lesnar on some Goro shit. Reeeally don't want this to mean Cena works hard, says his prayers and eats his vitamins and then beats him at Night of Champions or some shit tho. Would love to see Bryan or Cesaro work a program with him.
I would not have much of a problem if Cena takes back the belt from Lesnar at next years WM or SS. Anything before that time though is bullshit not just for the Lesnar character work but for Cena in the long run. Having this goal of taking down the Beast and working his way back up is a great story that needs to build for 6 months or more. The story needs to be him going to the performance center to work on it, then working against a Big Show and Mark Henry and other big guys on the card to get back in the game. Let him win the Rumble. Build the redemption story.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

fucken kane, ace match otherwise
moved by duck muscles

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Ambrose is a made man now. I'm sure he's been told not to fuck with any diving headbutts or top rope dropkicks. When he comes back after filming his movie (which, by the way, Dean Ambrose is gonna be in a fucking movie!!!) it's gonna be insane because none of us will know when it's happening so it could be any time.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Ambrose is the new stone cold

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Pretty cool to see them give Ambrose/Rollins the final spot on Raw, I just assumed it'd be Brock. That powerbomb through the chairs spot was nuts, and yeah, I won't go there and say its Stone Cold levels, but Ambrose as a face is working on levels I would never have foreseen.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Not exactly Austin, I mean more like the Stone cold/punk etc type

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I really think it's more Pillman with great comedic timing.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Brougham33 wrote:I really think it's more Pillman with great comedic timing.
yea def reminds me more of pillman, and like you said a little bit more funny than crazy as compared to pillman (face ambrose vs pillman loose cannon gimmick)

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

So apparently El Torito is actually amazing:

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

That “Journey to SummerSlam” Special Featuring The Shield on the network was really good. Also, David Shoemaker said this on twitter:
"I'm hearing Daniel Bryan needs Tommy John surgery and will be out at least 3 more months."

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
blastmaster wrote:They can still have Cesaro come out tonight and Congratulate Paul and Brock and then blame Paul leaving for his losing streak and challenge Brock somehow. I can't imagine they would bury him on purpose without an endgame.
Well, while I'm remaining optimistic, the "end game" in losing streak gimmicks is to turn a heel face by making the audience feel sorry for them. It's a fairly frequent every 2/3 years troupe, but I can't think of it ever really working. Most recently they did it with MVP in 2009 (?) and Drew McIntyre in 2012.

I'm struggling to think of a time when it's worked, but usually the plans dramatically shift before a payoff can actually happen.

On the other hand, I'm not certain they're going the "losing streak" route with Cesaro yet. Have the words "losing streak" been uttered on television yet?
vaguely remember it working decently when they turned christian face after his losing streak during his heel temper tantrum gimmick

battlecatmeowstab212

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
blastmaster wrote:They can still have Cesaro come out tonight and Congratulate Paul and Brock and then blame Paul leaving for his losing streak and challenge Brock somehow. I can't imagine they would bury him on purpose without an endgame.
Well, while I'm remaining optimistic, the "end game" in losing streak gimmicks is to turn a heel face by making the audience feel sorry for them. It's a fairly frequent every 2/3 years troupe, but I can't think of it ever really working. Most recently they did it with MVP in 2009 (?) and Drew McIntyre in 2012.

I'm struggling to think of a time when it's worked, but usually the plans dramatically shift before a payoff can actually happen.

On the other hand, I'm not certain they're going the "losing streak" route with Cesaro yet. Have the words "losing streak" been uttered on television yet?
vaguely remember it working decently when they turned christian face after his losing streak during his heel temper tantrum gimmick
That's actually not how it happened.

Christian trajectory:

Edge and Christian break-up/feud
Christian and DDP feud
Losing streak/temper tantrum
Un-Americans
Tagging with Jericho
"Born Again Christian" (heel w/ a heel Hollywood Rock)
Feud with Booker T
Teased Face w/ Jericho when "dating" Lita on-screen
Revealed heel when attempting to sabotage Jericho and Trish's relationship
White hot heel when Trish revealed to be with him all along
Injured

Yeah, I'm going to stop here as Christian, while always entertaining, didn't exact turn face until TNA and his WWE return, unless I'm really mistaken.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -

Req

Post by Req »

Daniel Bryan needs Tommy John surgery?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1423716/wwe-ne ... efinitely/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
F.U. MOOLAH

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Req wrote:Daniel Bryan needs Tommy John surgery?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1423716/wwe-ne ... efinitely/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hopefully he doesn't lose too much velocity, but if he does, I think he has good enough off-speed stuff to keep him competitive.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Considering all we know as of the end of Raw, here's how I'd fantasy book Night of Champions:

(pre-show) Bo Dallas vs. Jack Swagger- continue Swagger on his losing streak (to include heart-felt, lispy pre-match interviews) for a few more weeks, with Bo cutting promos after each match just like he did on Raw. Each time Swagger gets trolled, it makes him crazier until he eventually snaps and viciously attacks Bo backstage, putting him in the patriot lock for way too long. On the Raw before NOC, Bo shows up in a leg cast and crutches, really milking the injuries, but promising to show up at NOC and give it a 110% because he Bolieves (naturally). Cut to the NOC pre-show and as Swagger makes his way to the ring, Bo attacks him with a crutch, no-selling the broken-ankle, then throws him in the ring. The ref starts the match, Bo jumps on Swagger, throws a flurry of punches, hits the Bo-dog, gets the pin, and celebrates like he just won the world title. Post-NOC, I wouldn't continue this feud. Bo would have some crazy heel heat and could go on to feud with an established face like RVD. Swagger could take some time off until he can be rebranded in a tag team or maybe be the new Owen in the new Nation of Domination.

(Tag Team Titles)The Usos vs. The Dust Bros.- It's time for the Dust Bros. to find the cosmic key and win the belts. Post NOC- The Dust Bros. feud with the Wyatt Fam (including Bray invoking the Freebirds rule). Both teams will try to out-weird each other every week. It'll be great TV.

Rusev vs. Mark Henry- Classic battle of the powerhouses. At some point in this match, Rusev needs to powerslam Henry and have the commentators hype it up. The match should end with Henry about to deliver a "world's strongest slam" when Rusev hits him with a bunch of elbows, drops to his feet, does one of his great kicks to knock Henry down and slaps on the accolade. Henry eventually goes lights out, and the ref call the match but Rusev refuses to let go until Big Show comes in and gives him a KO punch. Rusev and Lana retreat, Big Show helps Henry recover. Post NOC- Rusev and Big Show feud.

(US Championship) Sheamus vs. Cesaro vs. Ryback (triple threat)- I know Ryback is random, but following the crowd reaction he got on Monday, Ryback realizes that his talents have been wasted and next week he attacks Curtis Axel and starts to win a few matches. Hopefully, he'd be in that heel-ish but still over with the crowd zone, and wouldn't talk to much, just stay focused on destruction. On the last Raw before NOC, Ryback interferes with a Sheamus/Cesaro match leaving both Cesaro and Sheamus shell shocked in the ring. At NOC, Cesaro wins the US Title by pinning Sheamus while Ryback is out of the ring. Post NOC- Cesaro and Ryback feud continues. Cesaro beats Ryback at Hell in A Cell and goes on to feud with Rusev (fresh off his feud with Big Show). Cesaro and Rusev go back and forth for a few PPVs and make the US Title important again. As for Sheamus, he can take some time off and come back as a heel down the road and Curtis Axel can just go back to the drawing board or continue as a jobber.

(Divas Title)Paige vs. AJ Lee- Paige ends up winning the match quickly. Right as the ref is about to hand over the belt, Emma runs in and steals it because that's what she does.

(IC Title) Dolph Ziggler (with Ric Flair) vs. The Miz- The match ends when Miz hits the skull-crushing finale on Ziggler. Flair panics, pulls out a pair of brass knuckles and decks Miz but the Ref sees it and DQ's Ziggler. Flair grabs the belt and celebrates with Ziggler but Ziggler is clearly upset at how he retained the belt. Ziggler and Flair each push each other until suddenly, Randy Orton comes through the crowd and hits Ziggler with an RKO outta nowhere. Orton and Flair shake hands and Orton poses with the IC belt over Ziggler while Flair "whooos" and struts around. Post NOC- Ziggler feuds with Orton who distances himself from the authority, but is still clearly a heel. Flair serves as Orton's mouthpiece. Flair and Orton eventually bring in Big E as a silent body guard type (like he originally was with Ziggler). Way Down the line they eventually feud with a face(ish) Wyatt family with Orton vs. Wyatt for the IC belt (maybe at 'Mania), making the IC belt important again.

Bray Wyatt vs. Chris Jericho (Last Man Standing match)- This will be Bray's chance to end the feud. Considering he already beat Jericho cleanly at Summer Slam, this match should be about re-enforcing that the Wyatt fam are dangerous. Harper and Rowan should get involved and Jericho should end up bloodied, looking like a victim since he's headed back on tour anyways. Post NOC- as mentioned above, Bray focuses on winning the tag titles from the Dust bros with the Wyatt fam. The Wyatts win and defend the tag titles under the Freebird rules and eventually turn face-ish until Bray starts to feud with Orton for the IC belt.

Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins- Coming off of the victory over Orton, Reigns comes out on the next Raw and cuts a promo saying he feels he deserves a World Title shot. HHH comes to the ring and says that, as we all know, Cena has his rematch at NOC, plus in HHH's eyes, Seth Rollins is more deserving of a title shot than Reigns. HHH tells Reigns that if he wants to even be considered for a title shot down the road, he first needs to beat Rollins at NOC. Cut to NOC, Reigns and Rollins have a great match until the ref gets knocked down. Suddenly, Batista rushes the ring and gives Reigns a Batista bomb. Rollins follows that up with a curb stomp. Just as Rollins covers Reigns, Jeans Ambrose rushes the ring, pulls out the ref, and attacks both Rollins and Batista. Reigns recovers, spears Rollins and gets the 3 count. Post match- Ambrose and Reigns hug it out for a mini-Shield reunion. Post-NOC, this could turn into 2 great Hell In A Cell matches: Reigns/Batista and Rollins/Ambrose. Whatever the case, Reigns should continue to overcome whatever the authority throws at him and still get denied a title shot until he eventually wins the Royal Rumble.

(World Heavyweight Championship) Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena- Over the next few weeks on Raw, they should show footage of Paul Heyman having private meetings with with the authority. Then, let it kayfabe "leak" that Heyman is being considered for the role of Raw General Manager. The week before NOC, have Brock blow up over a sarcastic comment HHH makes about "part timers", and Heyman goes into peace-keeper mode, but you can tell that Brock and Heyman aren't seeing eye-to-eye. Meanwhile, Cena should lay low, and only be seen training and spending time with his girlfriend, Nikki Bella. Cut to NOC, and while it's not exactly the squash match that SS was, Lesnar is getting the best of Cena. HHH makes his way to ringside and starts talking to Heyman. As Brock is dominating Cena, Heyman grabs the ref and pulls him so Brock accidentally runs into him, knocking the ref out. Brock begins arguing with Heyman while HHH grabs a chair and dramatically offers it to Cena. Cena pauses, takes the chair and bashes Brock's head in. HHH takes the refs shirt and puts it on while Cena applies the STFU on Brock. HHH pretends to listen to Brock and then calls for the bell, claiming that Brock said he quit (aka the new Montreal screwjob). HHH grabs the belt, puts it on Cena and raises his hand. NOC ends with The New Authority (HHH, Heyman, Cena, Steph, Nikki, Corporate Kane, Rollins, Batista) celebrating in the ring.

Linc

Post by Linc »

that main event would be great @obesejesus

watching the nitro's before and after bash at the beach 96 tonight while drinking some el derado special reserve lol good times

Req

Post by Req »

http://www.inquisitr.com/1427115/wwe-al ... eGYcV0S.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alberto Del Rio’s WWE return is unlikely to happen since rumors are claiming that Triple H offered to take Mexico’s greatest import back only to be told to take a hike. It’s also claimed that Alberto Del Rio is talking to his lawyers about defying the no-compete stipulation in his WWE contract so he can compete in MMA or other pro wrestling organizations.
F.U. MOOLAH

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I hope he goes back to MMA it was hilarious watching Cro Cop kick his face off.

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

Brougham33 wrote:That “Journey to SummerSlam” Special Featuring The Shield on the network was really good.
Watching it now. Interesting that they talk up Reigns' heritage but don't mention his relation to The Rock. They must really want to avoid people seeing him as "Rock's cousin."

zappy

Post by zappy »

ThaJim2 wrote:

There not bullshit because they prevent a person from getting fired on purpose to get out of a contract. In this specific circumstance the WWE needs to come to a quick agreement though basically don't talk shit about the WWE and we will let you out of the non compete. To allow him to continue to talk about the racism in the WWE after the recent Atlantic article on the subject is a horrible look when the dude was fired after a race tinged encounter.
no i'm not saying that they're bullshit if you get fired, i'm saying that they're bullshit because it's not like WWE has any trade secrets that alberto del rio knows that could potentially harm the WWE if they were exposed to a rival company.

it's not like del rio can go to AAA and be like "so here's the secret behind the RKO"

zappy

Post by zappy »

Linc wrote:that main event would be great @obesejesus
yeah i'm ready for a cena heel turn

battlecatmeowstab212

zappy wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:

no i'm not saying that they're bullshit if you get fired, i'm saying that they're bullshit because it's not like WWE has any trade secrets that alberto del rio knows that could potentially harm the WWE if they were exposed to a rival company.

it's not like del rio can go to AAA and be like "so here's the secret behind the RKO"
It's not about trade secrets, it's about how the WWE has pumped millions of dollars of marketing and months upon months of television into his character and him as a performer. Otherwise, anyone could just get fired and show up immediately on a competitor's product having just benefitted from the top name in the game's promotion.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

So I was on TV at RAW in Vegas on Monday marking out for Paul E. and Barrrrrrrock. Pretty cool. :ghostface:

battlecatmeowstab212

Very cool! How was the live experience?

Req

Post by Req »

:lol:

F.U. MOOLAH

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

So far this is the worst episode of Raw I've seen in years. The roster is staaaaacked with talent and I'm watching this bullshit? Wowzers.

battlecatmeowstab212

blastmaster wrote:So far this is the worst episode of Raw I've seen in years. The roster is staaaaacked with talent and I'm watching this bullshit? Wowzers.
I haven't watched yet tonight, but for comparison's sake, was it worse than the Raw walkout of October 2011?

battlecatmeowstab212

Going through old posts, I found this image from December 2011: