American Sniper

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: American Sniper

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Tommy Bunz wrote:All of you need to talk about the movie or stfu.
And if you haven't seen the movie then you really need to stfu or I am going to start deleting your posts.
Cmon man. I'm not being childish. I am even refining my criticism of American war glorifying movies due to the assertion in here that it's not the typical war movie.

I've researched this movie. I'm interested in how it's being received in society. I just haven't had time to see it yet, and for some personal reasons, decided to delay watching it. Can we not have a mature conversation about the military and cinema and society here?

I'll see the movie soon. I am not hating on a movie I never saw. I am speaking about the culture of combat our society is in right now, and how war movies help perpetuate/solve the moral crises of humanity.

This is totally one movie that can open conversation wider than the context of the film within the film's own universe itself. It's based on a real person and a real war that still has real world repercussions to this day.

I'm curious to see how far Clint Eastwood has progressed as a filmmaker. I find him so mediocre, and always approaching something great, but never creating it.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

In defense of Eastwood's film making, Gran Torino is one of the best comedies of the last 25 years.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote: I am speaking about the culture of combat our society is in right now, and how war movies help perpetuate/solve the moral crises of humanity.

This is totally one movie that can open conversation wider than the context of the film within the film's own universe itself. It's based on a real person and a real war that still has real world repercussions to this day.
We don't do that in CYE. No one cares about your feelings about society. This isn't a place for your personal beliefs to any extent.
this is where we discuss movies and tv shows. Ones we have actually seen. You have no business in this thread otherwise.
You did this shit before many times, ruining the Django thread for one example, ranting over and over again definitively about some movie you hadn't seen, only to flip-flop immediately once you saw it.
Keep all your personal belief crap out of here. If you want to have a conversation about war do it elsewhere.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Blockhead wrote:In defense of Eastwood's film making, Gran Torino is one of the best comedies of the last 25 years.
:cheers: I could watch Dirt call people zipperheads for ten hours and still find it funny.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Vastly underrated stoner flick.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Probably agreed with most of this, but Taibbi is trolling hard

'American Sniper' Is Almost Too Dumb to Criticize
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... e-20150121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw American Sniper last night, and hated it slightly less than I expected to. Like most Clint Eastwood movies – and I like Clint Eastwood movies for the most part – it's a simple, well-lit little fairy tale with the nutritional value of a fortune cookie that serves up a neatly-arranged helping of cheers and tears for target audiences, and panics at the thought of embracing more than one or two ideas at any time.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:All of you need to talk about the movie or stfu.
And if you haven't seen the movie then you really need to stfu or I am going to start deleting your posts.
I've researched this movie. I'm interested in how it's being received in society. I just haven't had time to see it yet
Then I don't get it. Why is you posting dog?

Kace

Post by Kace »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:These wars have inspired generally horrible movies.
I agree, no comparison to Vietnam movies. There are so many directors out there, can't anyone make a good Iraq war movie?
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

philly bias of course, but i thought coop was fucking awesome. i'm not saying for him bulking up or talking like hick, but dude played every scene with real emotion.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

movie was hella underwhelming

the story line with the wife was terrible

took them all of 4 seconds to fall in love and get married. I gave no fucks about her or that relationship

did Clint just get sleepy at the end and have to go nap re: that lame ass ending?

"Later that day he died. FIN"

what in the actual fuck.

hustler

Post by hustler »

thekeentwo wrote:movie was hella underwhelming

took them all of 4 seconds to fall in love and get married. I gave no fucks about her or that relationship

did Clint just get sleepy at the end and have to go nap re: that lame ass ending?

what in the actual fuck.
really, bae?
just finished watching it. thought it was great. b. coop nailed it. i found the wife/family scenes believable, although they were boring, i understood their necessity to humanize The Legend. The war parts were all great. The ending left me devastated, such a senseless waste. Fuck that guy, i hope he gets the electric chair. fuck that guy so much.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

thekeentwo wrote:movie was hella underwhelming

what in the actual fuck.
Agreed. The ending was fucking wack.

The movie was alright, but waaaay overhyped by sentimental patriotism.

*****spoilers*******
The scene where he hits the mile long shot that then gives away their rooftop position and are getting stormed from every angle by towelheads, only miraculously for a sandstorm to roll through creating a diversion, and in perfect timing a get away car rolls up was just laughably unbelievable.

The scene where he is stateside but hasn't told his wife has ZERO repercussions, knowing damn well any woman would have flipped their shit at this, but it transitions right into him being this great family man.

Also the scene where he is supposed to be covering Marines who are going door to door clearing houses, but isn't getting enough action, so he decides on his own to abandon his post and go join them is also laughably unbelievable. If it was your job to cover people in a warzone and you pull that shit it would be your ass. That hero shit does not fly in real life, you are told to do something and you do it PERIOD.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://deadline.com/2015/01/american-sn ... 201354871/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
‘American Sniper’ Shoots Past $200M
Warner Bros. is reporting that American Sniper will raise its domestic cume to $200.1M through Sunday after a massive $64.4M weekened at 3,705 theaters, the third-highest weekend ever in January, behind Sniper’s opening last weekend, and Avatar’s third FSS of $68.5M.
____
http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/01/25/bo ... ods-career" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“American Sniper” is the biggest movie of Clint Eastwood’s long and storied career. The Bradley Cooper starrer hits $200 million today, far surpassing “Gran Torino” ($148 million).

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

VideoKilledThe wrote:The movie was alright, but waaaay overhyped by sentimental patriotism.
"sentimental patriotism" - You are mentally retarded or emotionally addled to a severe degree if you came out of the theater thinking you just saw some jingoistic feat of rah-rah.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

All political views aside, the more and more I think about it, this movie sucks. It is mediocre at best.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/ ... 24298.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The ‘American Sniper’ Freakout
Why the left can’t tolerate this movie.
:copy: for a lot of the tards in this thread bashing American Sniper.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

why is the bashing opinion less valid?

from various articles and investigations i've read, it sounds like the majority of the events, stateside in the guy's book was largly pulled out of his ass. if he has to lie (or even decided to lie) and create stories to pad his book, how much of the rest of the story is falsified, glorified, hyperbolized? and thats the problem, that even though its been proven that the basis of kyle's personal character should be in question, its still being digested as canon to american history through the movie.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

This just in: Every movie based on someone's life contains historical inaccuracies made to make them more entertaining.
Also, who gives a fuck.

hustler

Post by hustler »

i find it absolutely hilarious at all the ridiculous outrage over a fucking movie that doesn't even glorify war in the least or do any harm whatsoever with the message its sending out. the best part of it all is that all this commotion simply created free advertising and even more buzz for the film, skyrocketing it into one of the most watched and most profitable movies of all time.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ Columnists for all media outlets are constantly looking for something in popculture to drag in to the culturewars because it's easy to generate interest and debate that way. This movie came out at a moment where the war in Iraq is very topical and it was directed by someone who is an easy target for that sort of stuff. Do you remember Clint talking to a chair at the Republican convention? He was always going to get a hard time from journalists for making a movie about this subject, no matter what the content really. And people like Michael Moore can go on autopilot and make themselves relevant for a brief moment.

It wouldn't matter that much if there weren't a lot of stupid people who are willing to go along with it because they lack the knowledge and oversight to discuss the war in Iraq on a general and more serious level.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Sniper has a good chance of becoming the biggest war film of all time by the end of this weekend. Already #2 behind Saving Private Ryan.

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

Meh... not so good

procure uno

Post by procure uno »

due to legal issues revolving around the pending murder trial for eddie ray routh, they couldn't show the death scene or in anyway portray it for fear of influencing the jury pool.

I understand that "Hollywood" is essentially synonymous with the old adage of "never let the truth get the in the way of a good story" but HOLY FUCK the utter dissociation between not only Chris Kyle's memoir in terms of his experiences and personality traits but the historical realities of the Iraq War are ridiculous.

hustler

Post by hustler »

procure uno wrote:due to legal issues revolving around the pending murder trial for eddie ray routh, they couldn't show the death scene or in anyway portray it for fear of influencing the jury pool.

I understand that "Hollywood" is essentially synonymous with the old adage of "never let the truth get the in the way of a good story" but HOLY FUCK the utter dissociation between not only Chris Kyle's memoir in terms of his experiences and personality traits but the historical realities of the Iraq War are ridiculous.
just fuckoff. tired of this shit. the man was a fucking hero. if you cant stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them, bitch.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

whoa der whoooa der

procure uno

Post by procure uno »

hustler wrote:
procure uno wrote:due to legal issues revolving around the pending murder trial for eddie ray routh, they couldn't show the death scene or in anyway portray it for fear of influencing the jury pool.

just fuckoff. tired of this shit. the man was a fucking hero. if you cant stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them, bitch.
because i take issue with the cinematic portrayal of chris kyle's life due to its many fabrications and omissions based upon the man's own words regarding his experiences, i am therefore denigrating his service? oh, okay.

starks

Post by starks »

thought it was shit and bradley cooper was flat. this movie will do a disservice to a lot of idiots who know nothing about the context of the war in iraq.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

^An irony which is hilariously lost to yourself.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »