What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by drizzle »

dying to see that one, it looks hysterical
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

it's fun, in most.
been wanting to see 'the final girls' (starring former TVD star, nina d!) for a while now, just went up on the webs, looking fwd to checking tonight. saw spartys letterboxd review earlier and was a bit bummed, then realized that was 'final girl', which seems to be something else starring the little kid of that miss sunshine movie
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

the final girls ruled
am yet to watch final girl
moved by duck muscles

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Watched Final Girl instead of The Final Girls by mistake. Probably the most retarded movie about a female assassin I've ever watched.

Wish I could share your love for The Final Girls, Lefty. Found it pretty underwhelming, despite the awesome concept. I really loved how it played with movie titles and the flashback scenes, though.

Funnily enough, both films have the same actor in it.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

It Follows
The Babadook
Under the Skin

probably liked It Follows the best, although Under the Skin was the most unsettling for me.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The Green Inferno | 2013
Between this and Knock Knock, Eli Roth's true calling might actually be legitimate comedy. L to the Izzo reminds me of a young Emily Blunt without the acting skills.

Goodnight Mommy | 2014
Great atmosphere, but struggled to remain interested as the film just dragged on way too much to the point of boredom.

CarlosDelgothoes

Only Lovers Left Alive

Gorgeously shot. Tedious story. Hey guys, did you know Kit Marlowe might have written Shakespeare?? Snore. Interesting how they frame Detroit versus It Follows though. I think they might've even shared the same parking lot scene.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Really enjoyed Turbo Kid and Cooties.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Dark Summer | 2015
Third movie I've seen this year with that thirsty kid from It Follows, and this is definitely his shittiest movie of the lot. Easily the most boring and perhaps the worst film I've watched this year.

Southpaw | 2015
Riches to rags to riches story told better in the Rocky movies. The writing in this is atrocious.. While 50 Cent does his best considerate Don King, mumbling Gyllenhaal and Whitaker duke it out as to who has the worst eye disorder, which elevate this film slightly above every other generic and cliché ridden storyline to do with redemption.

Tales of Halloween | 2015
In a just world, Alex Essoe and Pat Healy would have been big name actors by now. Sweet Tooth and Grim Grinning Ghost were the best short stories in this anthology, but overall this was nowhere near fucking with Trick R Treat. Neil Marshall yet again proves why he owes his existence to John Carpenter. The cameos in this were very cool however, particularly Adrienne Barbeau, John Landis and Joe Dante. Thirsty kid was in this one too.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

A Christmas Horror Story | 2015

Turned out to be a really great horror anthology. Very unusual style of presenting each story; by running multiple stories via scenes rather than one tale after the next. It bothered me at first, but each story was really well done and The Shat did his thing too. Possibly the best portmanteau's out today since Trick R Treat. Loved it.

CarlosDelgothoes

Spartan wrote:Southpaw | 2015
Riches to rags to riches story told better in the Rocky movies. The writing in this is atrocious.. While 50 Cent does his best considerate Don King, mumbling Gyllenhaal and Whitaker duke it out as to who has the worst eye disorder, which elevate this film slightly above every other generic and cliché ridden storyline to do with redemption.
Saw this a few nights ago. The pacing is ridiculously poor. Like it was written as a teleplay and then converted to a screenplay after.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I liked southpaw a lot more than you guys. But I had low expectations *shrug*

ChewbaccaUncircumcised

Post by ChewbaccaUncircumcised »

I want to see this

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Generation Iron (2013) - More or less a modern version of Pumping Iron. OK documentary to kill time if you care about the subject at all.

Cop Car (2015) - Cool attempt at making a modern cultfilm but I was a bit bored by it to be honest.

Beast of No Nation (2015) - This is basically African Childsoldier Movie. The story is exactly what you would expect from the subject matter with few suprises. Really well-shot, impressive acting, some excellent and very tough scenes, but perhaps the film is a bit too long. I liked the recent War Witch a lot more but there is still a lot of reasons to like this movie.

Sicario (2015) - Almost perfect.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

CarlosDelgothoes

We Are Still Here

It was cool. Jump screams, suspense etc. Nothing too out there, but it's still satisfying when a film does it well.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Oh man, I really wanted to like that film.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

eXistenZ | 1999
Not a popular opinion, but this Cronenberg film has always been enjoyable to me and always dug the way it handled its dope virtual reality concept. In retrospect some of this shit was pretty prophetic.

Howl | 2015
Archetypal bunch of horror film characters in this werewolf/siege British b-movie. Enough plot holes to give jamrage a heart attack, but compared to some of the other schlock I've seen this year, this turned out to be better than expected and far more competent. This must be the fourth film I've seen where voice over gawd Sean Pertwee has gotten himself eaten.

The Time Guardian |1987
This slice of sci-fi ozploitation was in the same box set as America 3000 and The Eliminators and it still exceeded the low expectation. The worst film I've seen Carrie Fisher in.

The Vatican Tapes | 2015
The Exorcist meets Damien: Omen II for fucktards. Unintentional comedy with a prime era Patricia Arquette- looking antichrist and a hilarious tribute to this scene:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Halloween shit I haven't seen in years edition:

Venus In Furs - goofy but enjoyable giallo/psycho-sexual-supernatural horror schlock. There's not actually much gore or nudity at all, and the narrator/lead character is an insufferable douche, but the sleazy atmosphere and the vaguely mystical tone of it all are pretty watchable. And of course, like most competent movies of this type and era it's attractively styled and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Le Horde - So in retrospect this is actually a direct precursor to the Raid and Dredd, in both it's closed box setting and very simple and linear approach to the proceedings - people are trapped in an apartment building facing an army of opponents, they need to escape, that's it. It's 2 descendants are superior, but this one still holds up well too. There are a few slow spots where the action pauses to try to build up character relationships, the rest is tons of fun. Regardless of the flaws and noticeable budget limitations, approaching a zombie movie like a pure action movie is a neat idea.

Near Dark - didn't occur to me before but this is basically a vampire movie built like an 80s power ballad.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

whiplash. way overrated.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah, we are still here shoulda been one of the great ones. think i posted some nonsense about switching the roles around back when it dropped

american ultra -- awesome. always thought the posters for this read 'american ulta', for whatever that's worth. killer cast (k-stew, goggins, mrs coach, zuckerberg), fun action, not the greatest ending. but still, give me something like this over the bourne series and the other things it's having a bit of a laugh at. k-stew and the anti-winklevi are very good together (ie adventureland)

manson family vacation -- well worth watching. not a ton to say. duplass mumble w/ a manson twist

doomsdays -- worth watching. was obsessed with 'bishop allen' back in like '05, saw the lead singers mug while scrolling through netflix so figured id watch to see what he's up to now. telly from kids smashed a bunch of cars in the name of oil, a lot of gorgeous houses were shown, and a whole lot of twee was expressed. dig!

the two faces of january -- was listening to kirsten dunst on a podcast, and wanted to see what she had on netflix that i hadn't seen. chose this one, w/ oscar issac & vig mortoson. very forgettable, but enjoyed it while watching

don't think i've posted here in a minute, but bone tomahawk is a top 5'er of the year
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

shit. thought 'we are still here' was 'we are what we are'. goddamn horror titles always sound about the same
moved by duck muscles

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Watched Shaq Steel last night

Amazingly terrible movie but I had a lot of fun watching it. It's almost like someone dared the writer to make every other line of dialogue a bad joke/pun or catchphrase.
Plus there's a handicapped girl with a wheelchair that has lasers.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

pew pew

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

shout out mutombo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

:lol:
who do you think i look like, dikembe mutombo

american mistress was pretty pretty good. from the jump i was prepared to dismiss the sister of that girl from girls, for i despise that girl from girls, but she was actually pretty pretty good. there's a highly entertaining stretch there in the final third of this, quite liked the rest as well

the gift -- pert fucked up, wasn't really what was anticipated. jason bateman plays a dick bag pretty well
moved by duck muscles

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Spy - This is mostly McCarthy's show so your enjoyment of the movie will largely hinge on how you feel about her. Thankfully, despite it being a generally broad comedy she's not mugging and her character feels surprisingly grounded, mostly because the entire premise is based around how she looks irl and how the world responds to her because of it. It helps too that the rest of the cast absolutely kills it and there are a ton of solid side gags. Statham as a parody of himself/indestructible brooding rogue operative archetype was a particularly strong highlight, the list of his exploits had me on the floor. A little too long and as usual some shit falls flat, but a pretty good time all in all.

Ant-Man - Def a top tier Marvel movie but still a Marvel movie, with all the dumbass exposition and clumsy saccharine moments that entails. Wright's script and Rudd's natural wryness goes a long way to undercut the bullshit but still not far enough. Douglas is a nice surprise as Pym, at least when the movie lets his caustic assholeness ride. The villain was pretty flat though, Marvel always struggles with this shit when they don't have a really notable/recognizable name to throw in.

American Ultra - This movie got done dirty, it deserves the same cultish regard given to The Guest and Purge 2 but basic motherfuckers can't reconcile that a violent pulp movie can also be funny and occasionally even kinda genuinely heartfelt. Selling it as a stoner comedy doesn't do it justice either, it's not a movie about pot it's a movie about people who just happen to smoke pot as part of the plot, big difference there. With all that said, Eisenberg and K-Stew really carry this - they play their characters believably and have good chemistry together, and that's what makes the odd mishmash of Bourne Identity and looser romantic dramedy actually work. The direction is surprisingly strong too actually, but still, without the leads this thing would probably fare far far worse.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Man I liked American Ultra way less than you. Thought it suffered from a major case of identity crisis, it didn't know whether it was a comedy or an action film and ended up doing both things halfassed.
Eisenberg wasn't really convincing as a stoner or a badass and didn't bring a whole lot to the table; Stewart pretty much singlehandedly holds everything together. Movie would've been way more fun if the roles were reverse and KStew was the lead and Eisenberg was the doting boyfriend. Stewart would've had a lot more fun with that role.
I hate Topher Grace with a passion but this was a good use of him as the super douche heavy. Goggins' retarded super soldier was the best part of the movie by a large margin.

Ant-Man was pretty fun but I think it could've been a lot better in the hands of a better director. The action scenes are all really really great but it didn't seem like Rudd was given the room to shine.
Michael Pena slayed pretty much every scene in this movie.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote: Eisenberg wasn't really convincing as a stoner or a badass and didn't bring a whole lot to the table; Stewart pretty much singlehandedly holds everything together.
Maybe I'm giving it too much credit but I read that as the point/part of the premise (albeit sloppily defined), and one of the more novel things about this - his character is just an awkward anxious fuckup who doesn't fit into his own skin one way or another, he's neither a cartoonish stoner nor really a deadly killer in the usual genre sense. When he's activated he doesn't snap into super soldier mode, he remains an awkward dumbass who's badassery is driven more by implanted conditioning than any kind of real physical prowess or skills. Stewart by contrast is the capable one and the one who actually knows what she's doing. And like I said before, it's their pairing that really makes it work, together they sell it in a way that I don't think just having one or the other paired opposite somebody else could. The only part of this I didn't buy was the coda after the debriefing, that was too much and kinda negates a lot of the implied complexity of the characters individually and their relationship.

I thought the comedy and action were balanced well too, although the former played better because the leads are not exactly convincing action stars (even considering that being purposeful). Even the emo stuff paid off surprisingly well, the 'she said yes' thing in the end should've been an eyeroll but was funny and carried some dramatic weight too.

Def loved Topher, all the supporting roles were dope as fuck, even Buster who is mostly just a lazy narrative device. Shame they underused Pullman, his one scene was ace.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I Spit on Your Grave 2 | 2013
Better than I expected and rectifies some of the obvious problems I had with the remake, but it's hardly something I'll ever return to. Crazy how Jemma Dallender, an unknown actress, delivered such an incredible performance for what's essentially an utterly sadistic film.

I Spit on Your Grave 3: Vengeance is Mine | 2015
The return of Jennifer Hills and she's still haunted by her past. A couple of interesting new elements introduced here; including the violent fantasy aspect and her going full blown Paul Kersey vigilante, but it's all sloppily handled and poorly executed. Only thing memorable about this film were the metal pipe and banana split scenes, but they're hardly positive aspects. Director's name is R.D. Braunstein and until proven otherwise, I'm convinced he might be Necro. Easily one of the worst films of the year.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Larson is basically the only actress who could've made this role believable from start to finish. Tough watch at times, but loved it.